• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Skyrim

level 34
got archery up to 100...
completed DB, Main, and Civil War (imperial) quests thus far.

I'm 32 and I've completed fuck all.
Except the companions questline and like 1000 odd job missions.
Got smithing up to 100, and made dragon armor. Scale and bone.

I'm fairly certain either of those armors cause waaaaay more frequent dragon attacks, because I can't go anywhere now without one or two coming at me.
And not just like they see me and attack a little and fly away. I mean I fast travel somewhere, and as soon as it puts you back in the game *boom* there's one 10 feet in front of me.

^

That's normal. The higher the level you are, the more likely dragon attacks become. Rorikstead or Ivarstead almost guarantee an attack. Also, if you leave a site where a dragon is attacking, then fast travel back to it later, the dragon will usually still be there.

I'm level 45 and I have more bones and scales than I know what to do with. :D I'm about 2/3rds through the main quest, done the Mage's College questline, about 3 missions from the Thieves Guild, 2 from the Bards, none of the Civil War questline, none on the Dark Brotherhood and none of the companions.

I've already got three glitched missions stuck in my miscellaneous log, and was considering restarting and playing as a different character type... because mages suck balls in this game.

^

That's normal. The higher the level you are, the more likely dragon attacks become. Rorikstead or Ivarstead almost guarantee an attack. Also, if you leave a site where a dragon is attacking, then fast travel back to it later, the dragon will usually still be there.

I'm level 45 and I have more bones and scales than I know what to do with. :D I'm about 2/3rds through the main quest, done the Mage's College questline, about 3 missions from the Thieves Guild, 2 from the Bards, none of the Civil War questline, none on the Dark Brotherhood and none of the companions.

I've already got three glitched missions stuck in my miscellaneous log, and was considering restarting and playing as a different character type... because mages suck balls in this game.

Why do you say mages suck? Because they are boring or something? I have heard mages are insanely overpowered

^ The poorly thought-through quickspell system means that casting multiple 'backgound spells' (see here for a description of what I'm talking about) is a laborious exercise.

There's only so many times you can go through the hassle or equipping and re-equipping spells. Add conjuration and mage armour spells into that routine, and you have a very stop-start gameplay experience, punctuated with lots of scanning of the favourites list.

Check this link, it sums up my thoughts quite well, although he is talking about the PC version: A Child rapist, Hitler, and the Skyrim UI Designer walk into a bar…

I'm hoping that a character that relies less on magic will be a much more fun character to play.

Last edited:
From that link..

The fastest way to switch weapons/spells in the game is to hit Q, which pauses the game and opens up a quick-select menu

You can actually shortcut them to number keys, which makes it a lot easier. I've been playing a mage and it's pretty fun, I suppose if you're on console it can be a bit shitty though.

I've been getting by almost entirely on destruction with one hand and restoration in the other.
Destruction is somewhere near 90, so I don't have to switch spells too often.

I can see it being a pain if you tried to use the magic skills to the fullest.
I don't even use wards or anything. My heavy armor is at nearly 50 just from wearing steel gauntlets the whole time and the amount of damage that I take and just heal away.

It works for me at least.

Yeah, using wards and even healing seems pretty pointless with destro. I originally was gonna try being one handed weapons + magic, like some battlemage shit, but it turned out just to be better to focus on fireballs. Now I just summon atronach and then start blasting, works for me :p

gonna try using the other magic stuff on my warrior char now, see if this illusion alteration shit is actually at all useful

I don't know about high level illusion, but clairvoyance is freakishly useful.
At least if you're like me and have a tendency to get lost in dungeons.

Anyways, back on the main questline. This might have been challenging 20 levels ago.
Thus far, not so much. I want to do the dark brotherhood quests, but my first mission sends me to markarth, and that involves going to jail and doing two new questlines, so I'm gonna put that off for a bit.

I don't know, I find turning things into piles of ash to be oddly satisfying.
But when you use one or two handed weapons you get to watch yourself slice people's heads off or stab them in the gut.

^ The poorly thought-through quickspell system means that casting multiple 'backgound spells' (see here for a description of what I'm talking about) is a laborious exercise.

There's only so many times you can go through the hassle or equipping and re-equipping spells. Add conjuration and mage armour spells into that routine, and you have a very stop-start gameplay experience, punctuated with lots of scanning of the favourites list.

Check this link, it sums up my thoughts quite well, although he is talking about the PC version: A Child rapist, Hitler, and the Skyrim UI Designer walk into a bar…

I'm hoping that a character that relies less on magic will be a much more fun character to play.

That's true especially early on. There was too many times that I had to stop and cast countless spells before moving on or fighting a tough character. Later in the game when your mage is tougher you just plain don't have to do that but, until then it does get irritating.

So Stormcloak or Empire? NSFW for spoilers
NSFW:
I'm leaning toward the Empire but, I have already killed the Emperor for the DB. Not sure if that effects anything,

skyrim, the title sounds like the goal is a giant arse in the sky.

Don't think I can ever go back to markarth with this char.
I did the quests for uncovering the foresworn corruption..sort of killed everyone.
Have to be taken to jail and then escape. Tried just killing all of them and leaving, but the guy that was supposed to thank me and pardon me and give me my gear back, just tries to kill me.

Guards pay it no mind, but I need my stuff.
Going to give it another shot w/o killing everyone.

I could deal with it, if not for the fact that I had items I couldn't remove from my inventory because I still needed them.

I just collected 23 out of 24 stones of barenziah... only to find out that the last one sometimes glitches and fails to appear in it's spawn location.

You can imagine how happy I am about this. :D

Yeah, the game has a habit of glitching at the worst possible times.
It won't prevent me from starting a quest, but it will glitch two seconds before I finish one.