Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Shows you just "dont get" or just dislike

Reality tv. I don't understand why it's so popular and practically overrunning every major network. I can understand from a producer's point of view: No writer to pay, the cast works cheap, the shows are cheap. What I don't understand is why they're all being accepted by the average tv viewer.

VH1 must have gone through the bottom of every major unemployed celeb and offered them a show. Yet, Terry Crews is doing a reality show. What the fuck? He's more famous now from The Expendables and those scary Old Spice commercials than he was a few years ago. Why pick that time of your life to have intrusive camera men roaming around in your house? What the hell are you thinking, Crews?

I bet even Flavor Flav had pushed the reality tv bit back for a little while. Hoping that the fame train would come pick his ass up again. That's when you do it, Crews. When the train doesn't pass through anymore. Right now you're driving the train and you've got camera men in every other seat. Kick those mfs off and give you and your family some privacy.

I hated Hogans Heores growing up. Now adays, I dont watch regular tv ever because of commercials, cant stand them! So I dont get a chance to watch tv shows.

I've never seen it, but I do like Toni Collette. She's a great actress.

She's not a great actress. She is not a good enough actress to play the part. She tries pretty hard though like that woman who played Bob Dylan's twin sister in that pretentious "biopic" - I'm Not There. If Sir Ian McKellen played Shaquille O'Neal the same thing would happen. He would give it his best, and fail. But that's a much harder role.

Collette is not capable of playing someone with a psychiatric disorder, let alone four people with a psychiatric disorder. There are no subtleties to her characters at all. There isn't one interesting character between the four of them. The male character, Buck, smokes cigarettes drinks beer and wears flannel shirts. It looks so much like she's trying to do a bad impersonation of a man, that I'm tempted to think it's intentional - that that's part of the comedy. Like she's supposed to be that absurd. She's supposed to look like a little girl whose shoved a pair of socks down her panties and tried to put on a deep voice. Because that's what she looks like. It isn't an adult performance. It's ridiculous. If she was a great actress, she wouldn't be doing the show.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen her in anything besides that show?

She may or may not be miscast for it, I dunno, like I said, I haven't seen it. But many decent actresses have accepted some absolutely dire roles in the past. Sometimes they excel, sometimes they fall flat on the arses. And oftentimes I find that has a lot to do with the crappy directors involved. I've seen good actresses do some horrific work because they weren't pushed enough. Just sayin'. :\

Well, this aint a "dont get" but just a "i hate it."

The teen mom show. it makes me sick. They dont even show the reality of the situation. Sure, they show drama with the baby daddies and shit, but they all live with their parents or their parents take care of their kids, all their trouble is minor shit with their boyfriends or that they break up or they fight with their parents over their kids and whether they should still be allowed to go party with friends etc.

They dont show none of them in the projects, on fuckin food stamps and shit like that, they dont show how hard it really is and would bet my last dollar that at least one girl has seen that show and decided to try and get pregnant so she could get on there and get paid and ended up with a kid she couldnt take care of, broke, and very un famous and not on tv. its really glamorizing that shti no matter how much they claim to portray it as not a good thing,

That's a really good point. I think everyone in this thread watches too much TV though.
You should all be making funky jams instead.

t_g - Most of the time directors don't write their own work, especially in television. The quality of a television show is just as much the responsibility of the lead actress as it is the director, perhaps more in cases like this where the show largely exists as a vehicle for the lead. If she was a great actress, then why would she sign on for the third season? There is no way that they had three seasons signed when they were doing the pilot. So, there's only a couple of possible reasons as to why she is renewing her contract.

a) She is unaware of her craft. She cannot see herself. She believes that the performance is good.

b) She doesn't care if the performance or the show is good because she just wants the money, she disrespects television as a medium, and/or doesn't believe that commercial sit-com audiences deserve her best effort. That is: it is a television role, so she is treating it like one.

Looking back at her Muriel's Wedding days, I'd say it's probably the former. She doesn't need the money. She probably thinks what she's doing is justifiably good television. It isn't though and she is a collaborative artist. She is contributing to the production of garbage.

A big part of acting is knowing how to pick scripts. It's difficult, so yeah, sometimes great actresses and actors make mistakes and do a shitty film or two. Fine. That's impossible to get out of. Maybe that is mostly the directors fault.

This show, the United States of Tara is not the directors fault, nor is it all eleven directors faults. It isn't the screenwriters fault either. It is Collette's fault. Full stop. Directors shouldn't be held responsible for everything. It looks to me like positive criticism has gone to her head and she has lost the ability to function as an artist. She never was a great actress. She has screen presence. She was good. Now she is terrible.

I don't understand why audiences are so forgiving of bad acting. She's been playing the role for three years. How long can she get away with making shit before she becomes a bad artist? Personally I find it difficult to even look at her in other roles now. She makes me cringe.

I thought the same thing about Cate Blanchett playing Bob Dylan. Although Blanchett did a significantly better job playing a male personality than Collette has, there was no point in casting her in the role. It was a novelty of 'ooh a woman is playing a man, can they do that?'. It comes across as arrogant on part of the actor also, particularly in Collette's case who is apparently so convinced of her own genius that she doesn't even have to try when swapping genders on screen. Blanchett, although misguided in taking the role of Dylan, was trying. She was trying a little bit too hard but you could see that she was trying. She really threw herself into that role to get over that hurdle of playing a man but it still looked like a woman with a moustache doing a fairly convincing Bob Dylan impersonation. Nothing overly amazing, but indicative of some serious talent. If I was at a carnival and I was walking past, I'd stop for a couple of seconds and shrug.

Collette on the other hand, is exhibiting the sort of talent you'd expect from a group of ad-libbing drama students. Her characters (and they are hers, more than they are the eleven directors) are absolutely paper thin. She has clearly spent no time torturing herself over the enormous number of hurdles she needs to overcome in order to play someone with a multiple personality disorder correctly although I guess that's debatable as the condition doesn't exist. If the disorder did exist, she would be criticized for her portrayal of the mentally ill. I think that criticism still stands, regardless. If you want to make a show or write a book about a family dealing with mental illness, don't mock the illness even if it doesn't exist - because people with parents who have real conditions will watch it and relate generally to situations regardless of the difference in diagnosis. This wouldn't be an issue if the mentally-ill characters were depicted more as people than cardboard cut-outs.

Sorry for ranting. It generally annoys me the way psychosis is portrayed on screen. It reminds me of Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's with the big teeth and thick glasses.

I generally don't get reality shows of all types and most sitcoms. I do enjoy satirical cartoon sitcoms though (simpsons, family guy, bob's burgers, etc).

I also can't stand television that teaches wrong/bad information, which is probably why I hate most mainstream tv and I like documentaries and science/technology shows.

I also can't stand television that teaches wrong/bad information, which is probably why I hate most mainstream tv and I like documentaries and science/technology shows

You mean on shows like CSI where they pull DNA off the feet of a beetle that may of crawled on the hand of the guy who put a hatchet into some teenager? Yea, that drives me nuts. I can't even watch shows like that anymore.

'What is it you found there at the crime scene?'
'It's a crystalized molecular compound mixture of sodium and chlorine...'

JUST SAY SALT!, IT'S SALT!!

And what's with the medical examiner on CSI: NY?! I get it, your glasses attatch in the front...that's nifty...put them on or take them off....ugh....shows like that make me want to shake a baby to death, lucky for me Best of Bluelight detailed why that's a bad idea.

Has anyone on here seen that show The Killing on AMC? That shows the shit.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here seen that show The Killing on AMC? That shows the shit.

this is about shows you dont like. unless you are sayin "the shit" and meaning the show is just shit. but usually 'the shit' means somethin is great, so i aint sure how that fits in here.

You mean on shows like CSI where they pull DNA off the feet of a beetle that may of crawled on the hand of the guy who put a hatchet into some teenager? Yea, that drives me nuts. I can't even watch shows like that anymore.

'What is it you found there at the crime scene?'
'It's a crystalized molecular compound mixture of sodium and chlorine...'

JUST SAY SALT!, IT'S SALT!!

And what's with the medical examiner on CSI: NY?! I get it, your glasses attatch in the front...that's nifty...put them on or take them off....ugh....shows like that make me want to shake a baby to death, lucky for me Best of Bluelight detailed why that's a bad idea.

LMAO =D

It's so true ...how do they make money off that ridiculous shit?

I don't like the chain of animated crap by Seth McFarlane: not just Family Guy but also American Dad and the Cleveland Show. I don't get it.

Also the Law and Order spin-offs like Without a Trace and Criminal Minds. CM is the most predictable and irritating show to me. That stringy pale guy looks at a corpse and says "We're definitely dealing with a sociopath here. I'm guessing he breaks his victim's noses because he was abused as a child, possibly by a cousin or older sibling. I sense tremendous anger and resentment because he is obviously a short man with acne who lives in a slum." You're kidding, ANOTHER sociopath who's going to hold someone at gunpoint in a basement? You don't have the charisma to be Sherlock Holmes, you brat.

Cant fucking STAND any of the shit that bitterbrains just posted neither. family guy, american dad, or any of the shit-ass cartoons by that guy. ugh. makes me want to punch the tv when i see them.

And I also agree about all these 'other' cop shows.

Ill admit, I like Law and Order SVU. Its a good show, and I feel like while these days it aint as good, in the older seasons its a very quality show. It dont go TOO far past my area of disbelief, at least it didnt used to, the newer episodes is another story but the older seasons are still great if u ask me.

But all the spin offs....CSI, NCIS (wtfever that even is, its on USA all the time), and all the shows that bitterbrains said..theres sooo many of them...the forensic shows...man, they just suck. and is it just me or do they all have this kinda unserious, soap opera kind of vibe? Law and Order, it seemed serious. I didnt want to bust out laughing during the episodes, you know? But these ones, they just lack that feeling of bein a 'drama' instead of just some 'light' cop show with ridiculous shit goin on.

And law and order aint nothing like these newer shows becuz it was focused on all different shit--the crimes, the criminals, the police, the DAs, the lawyers, and the courts. All the shit tied together to make a interesting story, sometimes with good plot twists that came from the forensics and new evidence and shit, but never like the super crazy shit like someone said about "we got the DNA from the foot of a beetle that crawled over the corpse and is only native to one park on one square mile of land in new york city and so we found the killer!"bla bla bla from some totally ridiculous outlandish shit. The CSI etc type shows are all about the forensic and lab testing shit and seem to focus on that intead of being as well rounded as L&O was. they dont interest me at all. I always enjoy watching SVU if im bored and nothin else on but those other CSI and spinoff type shows, i just skip em right by, i cant get even slightly interested in them, they just seem to be way below L&O which was kinda the "original' and seem like these cheap, flimsy throwaway shows that nobody will be interested in watching older episodes of in a few years.

Not to be off-topic but I like SVU too but sometimes I just can't take her face:

Liberties+LAw+%26+order+SVU+Stabler+and+Benson.jpg

That's not even a very good example of what I'm talking about... can someone relate? lol.