• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Serotonin Syndrome aftermath

Do you exercise at five times a week at least 30min. ?
Start daily meditation.
Start a tryptophaan high diet.
Do all above and report back.

Exercise is key, Divinorum. That and abstaining from any and all drug use, including caffeine.

I'm almost on month 3 of recovery, and my only remaining (major) symptom is a strange electrical feeling in my head when I lie down. This electrical feeling is sometimes also interpreted by me as a burning brain sensation and travels from the back of my head down to my feet. This symptom causes me to lose significant amounts of sleep every night. I feel the electric brain pulses while I sleep, and sometimes they are so intense that they cause me to wake up and I'll be unable to fall back asleep for a few hours.
Another thread i came across referred to them as Waves and Windows. The electric wave-like feelings are reminiscent of riding a shroom wave, only you're completely sober, and thus would be much more anxious about the onset of such a symptom. The windows are your brief moments of clarity, in which you most likely think about the event and worry about it happening again. I've definitely noticed that when I'm sleeping with my girlfriend, I don't get them nearly as often. Perhaps it's Anxiety, PTSD from being alone at night when the initial event happened, and a migraine from a serotonin imbalance all rolled into one that onsets together.

I've begun CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and it's helped out with the anxiety immensely. I don't fear imminent death as much anymore, and although I feel the electrical feeling, I'm occasionally able to stop my anxiety before it hits.

I will be seeing a doctor shortly to determine if this is a mild, yet constant state of epilepsy brought on by the adverse drug reaction, as drug reactions certainly can cause epilepsy.

Drugs you cannot use:
Anything that agonizes or releases serotonin.

Smoking cannabis causes serotonin activity in the brain - NOT what you want

Drugs you can take:
Alcohol in limited amounts.
It kills nerve growth factors in the brain, but it acts upon the GABA receptors which are safe for you.
Continued or heavy drinking will only halt your recovery, so I recommend strict limitations - like 3 beers, 4 tops.

This information is not completely correct. Alcohol does most CERTAINLY DOES affect serotonin if not MORE than cannabis. Ever notice that some people after a night of drinking are depressed for a day or so after? That is partially related to the serotonin affect there is lots of research on this.

Alcohol interacts with serotonergic synaptic transmission in the brain
in several ways. Even single-episode
(i.e., acute) alcohol exposure alters
various aspects of serotonin’s synaptic functions. In humans, for example, the levels of serotonin metabolites in the urine and blood
increase after a single drinking session, indicating increased serotonin
release in the nervous system (3).
. (this is from http://www.currentseparations.com/issues/18-1/cs18-1d.pdf)

Research into depression found that the THC in Marijuana (in low doses) also increases the time the serotonin stays in the gaps between nerve cells. By doing so, it increases the number of hits to target receptors. (this is from http://www.crackwalker.ca/420/serotonin.html).

I know from experience that a daily weed smoker can suffer anxiety and sleep problems when suddenly quitting.

If I had to chose one - I would still smoke weed, Weed isn't toxic but alcohol is. Just one toke at time - I would do the wait and see approach. 1 toke, wait an hour and then decide how you feel what you want to do - better to do too little and have nothing happen, then to over do it and have a bad reaction. You can always do more, but you can't undo what you have already done.

It seems like we are assuming serotonin syndrome for everything in this thread. Does cocaine cause serotonin syndrome? I have anxiety so does that mean I have permanent serotonin syndrome?

Typically serotonin syndrome is not known to cause lasting problems if treated. For example:
"Thus far, there is no evidence that there can be permanent or long-term neurological effects or damage from an episode of serotonin toxicity (unless there are secondary complications)." -http://www.psychotropical.com/2_st_sum.shtml

I gave myself a mild serotonin syndrome with a stupid combination of drugs (not mdma or MJ) and while I was in hell for 24 hours and was a little off for about a week I felt completely fine one month later. No sleep problems, anxiety, or anything else. It seems, from my research, like that is typical.

I'm not saying that you guy's experiences aren't real or anything. I just want to caution us from assuming every mdma related mental problem is automatically serotonin syndrome. It's like how every college student who gets bored in history class claims to have ADD.

In response to what ledlight said, you should not try smoking weed. However, he is correct when he says that alcohol will release serotonin. I have tried both these things ever since developing SS and would recommend neither. When smoking weed the onset of SS symptoms is immediate, even after one hit, it's not something to relive. Alcohol seems fine in the moment, but the next day the depression will hit. The day after I drank after this happened to me I had the worst mind hangover of my life. It's what I would expect people who claim to be depressed after a night of rolling feel like, as for me until SS, I always felt great the next day.
The fact that your symptoms have lasted so long doesn't come as a huge suprise, I don't mean to put this in a frightening way but it seems a couple of the steps you took after originally experiencing SS may have lead to this. I read somewhere that SS almost unlocks a predisposition for many mental disorders, more frequently the ones you named. I too have felt at times like I was experiencing OCD, and I know for a fact that I have several anxiety issues now that I never had before. Now is the time to making the right changes and you will begin feeling better. As everyone said exercise is the best thing you can possible do. A healthy diet is a close second. My GI track is out of whack a lot too, but when I eat the right foods, usually raw fruits and vegetables and quality meats, this subsides. A couple days of this and you should start to feel much better, atleast for a period of time after working out. That would be a good sign and maybe help to solidify that what you experienced was SS and nothing else, but I'm pretty sure thats what it was too, many of the symptoms are spot on.
Your definitely right to not take your prozac. Don't take it! The last thing you need is another setback, the benzo's shouldn't halt your recovery too much, but any and every drug that acts as a stimulant to your CNS will. Even with the benzos, moderation is integral for your recovery. Like First Bad Comedown said, recovery will eventually happen for everyone, and this is true. However your actions will determine just how long this recovery takes. Thats all I have, and I'm sure First Bad Comedown will be around shortly to offer more. If he doesn't post anything, send him a PM, he's very good at answering them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, people. I will definitely try exercising more... I've tried in the past and honestly it was too much for me. It wore me down to the point of very limited functionality due to my exhaustion. And I did try pushing myself with weight lifting and such, so perhaps I need to really take my time easing into it? I know that's what any savvy person would tell you to do, but honestly I didn't feel like I was REALLY overdoing it. So I guess I should just take it even slower.

Something I've also thought about recently is whether or not this is SS, a dopamine issue, or perhaps a hybrid of the two. I've been entertaining this question simply because of the drugs that had a profoundly negative impact on me in comparison to the ONE that you would assume would be the top dog if it were to cause SS. Both the amphetamine (adderall) and cocaine did far worse to me after I was coming down from them than MDMA ever did. As I said in my first post, MDMA only affected me like that ONCE, and who knows what may have been in it? It could have very well had something in it that affected dopamine more than serotonin, just as cocaine and amphetamine does.

Aside from this, I had a UA neurotransmitter test done a year or so ago and it showed that my dopamine levels are elevated and my serotonin levels are lower than normal. This test was taken an hour or so after waking up, as it directed me to do, which is ironically when I feel the best on most days. I start to deteriorate as the day goes on, and at about the halfway mark things really start getting uncomfortable on into the night. Once I'm tired I'm basically in a kind of stupor. This is why I hope to get approved to take three UA samples throughout the length of the day to perhaps provide a better picture of what my neurotransmitter activity is like. All in all, I wanted to mention this because it seems that either I have too much dopamine (and sensitivity to dopamine) in me, which was caused by the dopaminergic drugs that I took years ago and had such a bad reaction to, or my serotonin levels build to unhealthy amounts as the day goes on. Either way I will try to investigate it further.

On a side note, my twitching, jerking, rapid eye blinking, tongue biting, and akathisia (feeling the need to move something) has increased in the last couple of months. I attributed these things to OCD compulsions, but now I'm not entirely sure it's that simple. I'm not saying I have tardive dyskenisia or anything, but if a dopamine excess and sensitivity issue is more my problem here, rather than SS, it would make sense why I'd be experiencing these things.

All in all, I'm conflicted about this and hope to get a clearer picture if i'm approved for a multiple UA neurotransmitter test.

Last edited:
After re-reading your post, you are right to doubt that you definitely experienced SS. You say your first bad reaction was while coming on on adderall. Did you take any other drugs at this point, or was the adderall it? Usually SS will occur when mixing to drugs that both increase serotonin or inhibit its reuptake. I haven't really heard any cases where SS has happened solely on the comedown of one drug without adding anything else into the equation, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, just pretty unlikely. There is definitely a lingering problem here though, clearly. If all the other drugs you have taken up until this point have caused bad reactions like the ones you described I still believe that any SSRI will not aid you in your recovery. I think steering clear of all drugs like this would be a much better choice. I wish you the best in gaining the approved go for the UA test. the results will help you gain a clearer picture. Let us know how it goes and possible someone here can be of some more assistance.

man i feel like handing out pamphlets for this site to prevent shit like this

When you do return fbc, I'd appreciate if you could answer one thing for me. After two months I thought things were getting a lot better I was sort of almost feeling happy, and I was even able to sleep through the whole night a couple times (of course I was taking melotonin). I even thought that maybe I'd try to smoke on 4/20 being that I seemed to be doing so good in my recovery, but ever since a little before than things have been seeming to get even worse. I slacked off on my workout for a little which kinda started the downward spiral, but even when I started up again I feel like I'm back to the first couple weeks. After what I thought was progress, I almost feel back at the beginning. After being able to sleep, this past week I've watched the sunrise every morning and then maybe slept for two or three hours after. Close to the end of April I thought I was able to feel for people again, like compassionately care for other human beings. Since then I've only felt more and more disconnected to all the people I once loved, Lately all I have felt is well..nothing.. like completely fucking robotic or like some zombie like lifeless vessel or whatever you'd like to call it. Is there any reason why after things were getting better they suddenly became worse? I've just been feeling so unmotivated lately, as if all the work I've been doing was for nothing.

Last edited:
Is there any reason why after things were getting better they suddenly became worse? I've just been feeling so unmotivated lately, as if all the work I've been doing was for nothing.

Isn't normal life designed to come in waves? I mean, the up and downs were always there, even without using drugs

Of course the amplitude of the life wave gets a lot greater, especially with an Up-Enhancer, you will have to expect much deeper lows too.

Time will heal. Just pull yourself through it. Eating a healthy diet and exercise to support your healing process.

It will get better as time pass and in the end, you will come out as a stronger person <3

Thanks a lot fluotox..really your supports mean a lot more than you might think

FBC, after reading some of your post about all the factors that can contribute to a seriously damaging reaction to MDMA, I feel you'd be interested to know, if you haven't already assumed, I was always a re-doser...every time. I left that out of my OP, but, yeah, those two times I mentioned rolling..I guess you can really call them four. And man I smoked A LOT of weed, everyday, for threeish years.

I've been getting nocturnal panic attacks now that jolt me out of bed with a racing heart and high blood pressure. I actually called the paramedics this morning because of it, coupled with seeing auras everywhere and a nearly blind left eye. I'm pretty sure that Health Anxiety (Hypochondria) is the main cause of all my problems these days, but then I get visual issues and it changes the game. I constantly think I'm stroking or having a heart attack. My mind, my docs, and the paramedics always say "it's probably just anxiety," but the mind justifies the panic when chemicals were responsible for the initial anxiety, so I can't be talked down...

I have SSRIs on my list of allergies, but my doc just prescribed me Imitrex for my migraines... what an idiot. Luckily I looked up Imitrex on Google before I took any, and needless to say I haven't taken any. Serotonin was not made to be fucked with, and I see this now.

Yeah, I have, or maybe had, high blood pressure too. If you'd like to see it improve dramatically I'd recommend following the DASH diet. I've been following it somewhat strictly, it is pretty hard to keep up with, for about a month and my blood pressure went from about 170/95 to around 135/75. Needless to say it works pretty well. SS is a "hypertensive crisis" which drastically increases BP to a level known has hypertension(>140/90) in an instant, apparently it stays that way for a very long time...

For your visual issues try some fish oil... or w.e. you think would be the best source of omega's you can get. Flax and borage are other good ones. They all give you an different type of omega which all can help to protect, heal and preserve your eyes. They are also very good for you cardiovascularly, so if you have HBP, I really think you should take some of them. I'm currently taking a combo of the three in one pill. If you want to decide on just one, choose fish oil.

It's funny that you say serotonin is not meant to be fucked with. Now I'd completely agree but before this ever happened to me I thought the exact opposite. I didn't think there was anything better to fuck with! Manipulating serotonin levels would give me confidence, extroversion, openness, compassion, happiness, clarity and be just be completely unwinding. Now after fucking with it the wrong way, I have COMPLETELY lost everything it once gave me. And I never even needed serotonergic drugs to give me me all those things in the first place! I just thought it can't hurt to have some more...man was I wrong.

I'll check out that DASH diet and get some fish oil for sure.

I had a stomach bug last week that caused me a writhing pain in my guts. I wound up getting vicodin for it, and I tell ya, the only thing more miserable than my stomach pain was the feeling of being high on top of it.
I think the after-effects of serotonin syndrome are like that of being high 24/7, but being so sick of being high that it causes anxiety, and so used to being high that it doesn't impair your cognitive abilities too much. When the vicodin hit my brain, the pain in my gut remained the same and I had the worst head rush imaginable, and my vision distorted very badly. I was seeing lines and patterns in everything just like I was bad shrooming. It was no good.

I feel like all I am are my brain and eyes these days. When I shower, I notice that my skin is numb to the touch, and that makes me anxious and depressed. When I'm sitting or standing, my depth perception isn't as good, and I feel like I'm just a brain floating through the universe attached to a hunk of flesh and bone which used to be my body. When I look at the mountains or the trees, I look at them as if I'm looking at a picture or through a window. The derealization is extraordinary, and I'll admit sadly that I've entertained thoughts of suicide on more than one occasion. I can't see myself actually doing it because I know it would devastate my family, but sometimes the pain and derealization of this puts some intrusive thoughts into my head...

Every time I hear someone talk about an SSRI or any drug that has to do with serotonin, I always tell them my story, and they always keep taking the drug anyways, which frustrates me to no end. I remember what it was like to not give a shit, and to "know" that I was going to be fine after taking something... those were the happiest days of my life, and I would have ignored me too.

Hey everyone.

I can see no one has posted on this thread for around 2 and a half months, but I thought I would drop in and inform everyone on what my neurotransmitter test looked like. It tested for a variety of different possible neurotransmitters imbalances. The ones that mattered the most are as follows: My serotonin is very very low. I'm not sure what this might say, if anything, about the possibility of a chronic SS state, or lack thereof, but it's interesting nonetheless. I am incredibly depressed a lot of the time for sure, just feeling extremely empty and lacking motivation, so this makes sense to me. If I were dealing with a chronic SS aftereffects state, would any of you think that my serotonin should in fact be too high rather than too low? Secondly, my dopamine was shown to be in the normal range, which is what I didn't expect. I expected it to be too high with all the jittery, twitching restlessness that I experience. Thirdly, my epinephrine and norepinephrine are also pretty low, though not as low as the serotonin. These are neurotransmitters that affect motivation, interest, and excitability I guess. I'm not really an expert on them. Finally, it seems that my cortisol levels are too high. I'll be doing another test that measures cortisol levels in four stages. My doctor says that all of this could be at least a significant portion of the reason that I'm so lethargic but at the same time feel wired and unable to sit still without feeling often terrible akathisia, as well as why i constantly clench my teeth and muscles. I still haven't received any answers as to why I'm running low grade fevers every day though, something that has increased in the last few months. I always run my fevers sometime after waking up and then break them later in the day (or night, since i'm a night owl).

So with all of this, I'd like some input from any of you. I'm not going to be taking any SSRI's that's for sure. I'm not going to risk something like that. However, while my naturopathic doctor completely understands this, and has treated my condition in a hypersensitive manner, she recommends that I try out 5-HTP. I've already been on 25mg of zoloft years ago, and this was shortly after having my bad experience with the cocaine comedown, and that didn't seem to do any harm to me, but it was also a really small dose. About a year and a half ago I was also on saint john's wort. It didn't do anything damaging to me either, but I didn't like the dreamy, foggy feeling it made me feel for the first two hours that I could feel it was active. Does anyone think this would seem to indicate that I'm not in fact dealing with a residual SS aftermath? Keep in mind again that I only had really negative reactions to cocaine and adderall, NOT ecstasy, and I used ecstasy many more times than the other two combined. There was one time that the ecstasy did have a similar negative effect on me, but who knows what else may have been in it. Any other time I used it, I had no problems at all, both previous to and after that one occasion.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OK THIS SHIT IS NASTY- 12 days induced coma

I hope this helps someone.
"For moderate or severe cases of serotonin syndrome, patients should be hospitalized, and neuromuscular paralysis, sedation, and intubation may be indicated for critically ill patients."

I should in fact be dead a couple of times over according to a few of the doctors who attended me throughout my little adventure- (yes I am a little twisted and it was a hell of a ride but never again).
So I have just came out of hospital after 5 days then another 7 days in an induced coma (well one 5 day coma, pulled out, still incoherent and feverish, cramping blah blah, put back into induced coma for another 7 days, kept in ICU for another week on 4 hourly OBS and 8 hourly bloods).
My point- you don't want to f*ck with this one kids - I am a hard arse with an unusually high tolerance for anything- medications I had been on for at least a 4-5 month period leading up to this adventure:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Wellbutrin SR 150mg
Seroquel 150-200mg of an evening to help with sleep
400mg (2x 200mg per day) tramadol
some fine synthetic cannabinoid substance I am not going to disclose
1 GRAM PER DAY cocaine substitute I am unaware of the make up of
two 'herbal XTC' pills
half a litre of good 80 proof Russian vodka each evening.
Prescribed something called 'epilem' but neevr filled the script.

Now keep in mind I did spend 4 days at home walking in circles, falling over myself refusing to go to hospital in insane agony, obvious massive discomfort and delusional bouts of imagination of the most insane realities where enacting themselves believe me it was real to me. After 4 days of watching me not eat and degrade further (I would have still been taking my meds so increasing the problem exponentially) after 4 days of watching me walk in circles my fiancée of 8 years had me collected by ambulance, where upon doctors diagnosed a drug overdose- interjection..... I would rant here and ask what illegal drug does this shit right- ANY WAYS BACK ON TRACK after hours of arguing my fiancée finally convinced them ALL the myriad of symptoms - it was prescribed medications in prescribed doses and highly likely the dreaded 'seretonyn syndrome' (She is adamant this is the third time I have had SS, this being the worst by far- I have no recollection of the few days surrounding each of the previous two incidents she refers to).
So all in all I am lucky I am not a vegetable on life support apparently. I hope this helps someone- my doc has been in the game 45 years and never seen a bona fide case until now- and all the other doctors said exactly the same thing- they had often thought they had seen SS but inherently only ever extremely mild cases or the onset of the symptoms.
Stay saFE CATS.

Last edited:
I actually just experienced this 3 days ago, on the verge of overdosing on 300+ mg of pure MDMA. It was the worst experience ever in my life. I've been getting leg twitches like crazy when I'm sitting down. I did recently smoke because I have bad anxiety and I find that one or two hits off a joint the first week or so will set you straight. I don't take pain pills. I'm BPD so I stay away from all those downers and what not . So basically, start your self off very light , IF you feel you're ready. If you're unsure wait another few days but I don't suggest bong rips for a very long time.

I want to bump this because of the information it has in it. Some of these posts should really be compiled into a sticky. Not so much for experienced but for the new users or the ones who are curious, so they get the right idea of what Mdma can do to you. If I had saw this thread before taking Mdma I wouldn't be in the state I am right now. Recovery is a lot harder than prevention :/