• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Secret of AA: After 75 Years, We Don’t Know How It Works

Its called making you feel powerless in everything except AA and then it works sort of like believing in a deity, thats my guess.

But I wouldnt call this a secret ;-P

It is to people that haven't been exposed to the program as much as people who go to meetings

I didnt make it all the way thru the whole article becuz I just aint beat for hearing the story of how it started, etc, all over again but I will force myself to. I got to the part of Bill W in the hotel and having a trip-vision of god n all that and skimmed thru the rest.

They dont know how AA works becuz it aint "AA" thats working, its the people who brainwash themselfs with the philosophies of it. And Dr Drew can suck a fucking dick, Oh, "If a person dont want to to the 12 steps they dont want to get better" FUCK YOU, You ignorant piece of pig shit. How insulting can you be to the idea of personal responsibility?

I despise the idea that you cant stay clean without NA. That you "need" meetings to keep you clean, TWENTY FUCKIN YEARS after you stopped using. That you got so little strenth of your own that every single moment of your day is still a risk filled situation that could send you flying back into the pit of addiction.

You become a slave to meetings. Replacing your addiction to drugs/alcohol with addiction to the program. People eat live and sleep the program, the amount they are obsessed with it is straight up scary to me honestly. They are like programmed robots brainwashed to all think the same shit, to believe all this shit, and its the only way that they can stay clean ,is to believe it.

If it keeps em clean, good for them. If it works for them I am happy for them and it must not be such a bad thing for THEM. But shit, all I see after the hundreds of meetings that Ive wasted my nights at, is a bunch of people whose lives are still about drugs, every second of them. Except now, they about NOT using drugs instead of using them.

You cant just be a person who got off drugs. You cant just be you. You got to be you, ADDICT. You got to be a addict who is ALWAYS at risk, FOR-EVARRRR. That after 30 years without gettin high, you are still at as much risk as u were the day you quit, of relapsing. That its like this monster hidden around every corner, that you are WEAK and you CANT fight it without the program, that you CANT do it alone, that you aint CAPABLE of stayin clean, unless you do this that and the third. You GOT to do this, you GOT to get a sponsor, you GOT to go to 90 meetings in 90 days, you GOT to work the steps, all this garbage.

Well how bout this, i been clean 9 months and I aint been to a meeting in like 5 months. I actually never even went to collect my 6 months keychain, OR my 9 months one, becuz I got so sick of the meetings that I seriously just couldnt do it no more. Just sittin there listening to these people delude themselfs over and over, repeating this same cult-like shit time after time just got to be too much for me.

I aint denying that for some people it has helped them alot. but as a person who is a independent thinker who likes to do shit myself, think shit thru myself, there is just so many gaping holes in their philosophies, so much contradiction, so much shit thats just ass-backwards, that its totally useless to me. I really cant do it. That group-think shit, the mindless agreeing, man its just scary to me. its really like a cult IMO.

Is that really the life you want to life, yea , off drugs, but terrified? Scared that every day, any day, you could just fall off and start using and end up dead? That your addiction is a living thing thats like, scheming and plotting ways to win you back? That you should drive 50 minutes out of your way to work every morning , so you dont pass a bar? That you are SO FUCKING WEAK that even driving past a street corner that you copped dope at ONCE can totally throw you off balance and send you right back to the needle like a choice-less zombie? That you NEED to go to a meeting every day, becuz THATS wats keeping you clean--not your own will, not your strentgh, not your heart as your desire to stay clean gets stronger, not your wisdom and your intelligence that helps guide you, not you, but "the program"? That you will always forever be an addict, so even 60 years after you quit you still need to go to meetings and work the steps? That you will never, ever change, never be stronger, never be "cured" or "recovered", that recovery is forever and you are just doomed to always be that way til the day you die?

I aint down with the powerlessness. I aint powerless. If i was powerless, I would not have been able to quit using when i realized that i really, truly, absolutely HAD TO or i was goin straight to state prison. if i was powerless, I never could have used around my probation schedule, gettin high on the day of my piss test and the day after ,and leavin 5 days in between to clean up so i could piss clean for my PO visit a week later. If i was powerless, I woulda just started binging out like crazy every time i got a couple bundles and not stopped using til it was gone, nevermind probation. if i was powerless, I never coulda copped those 3 bundles and just left them sittin there, hidden in my closet, for 4 days while i laid there sick as a dog, hurtin, miserable, depressed, wantin to die while I kicked, and not even touched them, not even considered touching them until after i passed my piss test.

If I was powerless, I woulda needed NA to get clean like I been. If i was powerless, i never coulda turned my life around like I did. I aint powerless, I took back my power that I had gave up, lost a hold on, and forgot that I had while i was usin. I got a choice, and when i was buried in the suffering of my addiction I couldnt exercise that choice, i coudlnt hold on tight enough to make a solid choice and stick to it, but I got it back eventually. I didnt go to rehab. I didnt go to NA. I didnt do jack-shit, except get on my Methadone, and start some long, hard thinking.

Soon enough, i lost that obsession with heroin. it took months, but it happened. It stopped bein this idea, buried in my heart , living inside of me, this passionate, destructive, insane love, wanting, craving, and just gradually turned into another idea just like anything else. It went from bein that crazy lover who you have ups and downs with, the person where its so intense that one minute you want to kill each other and the next you are furiously fucking, who you would kill for, and also want to kill. And became that boring guy/girl down the street that you really dont know much or feel nothing for, just a bland aquaintance.

Heroins grip dropped off my heart & my mind, it let go and became just another thing. Not the obssessive lust for the drug of the addict but the take it or leave it attitude of the casual recreational drug user who has fun once in a while and then gets back to 'normal' life the majority of the time. that insane, doomed love affair with dope turned into something totally lame and boring, like it was just a kind of uninteresting co-worker instead of a secret crush that burns so hot and bright inside of you that you drive yourself crazy thinking of them.

And once that crazy obsession ended, I was able to do dope , pick it up, and get a little high. Have some fun, and then forget about it for another couple months. Without none of the "oh shit, its gone? i got to get more, just one more shot, just get high for one more day" shit. Without nothing really, no feelings of disappointment when it was over and i had to go back to the daily methadone grind. It was a fun thing, and when it was done it was done. and thats all there was to it. I wasnt fantasizing, thinking about when I will be able to have it again, just living for that day when I get to boot another shot. It wasnt even really in the back of my mind.

I was too busy livin my life, a normal life, not a ex drug addict life. I dont WANT to identify myself as a fuckin ADDICT, i want to be ME. If i aint using the drug no more, if my life stopped being about this drug then why should I still make every fuckin moment be about avoiding it, which is the entire focus of the NA/AA programs? Is it really true that every single person who was ever addicted, will never, EVER be able to have a normal life again? That they are doomed to a life of NA picnics, NA barbecues ,NA sports games, NA meetings, NA community projects, NA this and fuckin that all day forever. That NA is the only "safe zone" that you can trust. That NA is the only one for you. NA will take care of you, NA will keep you safe and happy. You need NA. You cant live without NA. Trust NA and put your faith in NA and you will be ok.

It sounds alot to me like a drug addict if you replace NA with Heroin or Alcohol, etc.

If that life is wat being clean is about,.....Fuck bein clean.

But it aint GOT to be like that, becuz you aint gotta listen to their bullshit-ass lies and insane mind-warping philisophies.

But of course , according to them, that only means that you "dont really want to/aint really ready to get clean." 8( :|

I could go on forever and ever about this and I know i already been goin off for a while now, so Ima wrap it up but seriously, it aint no suprise to me that they say they aint got no idea how or even if the program works, becuz there aint nothing to it except a persons willingness to delude themself and listen to wat they are told, and their ability to totally devote their life to that. If you can do that, the program will most definately keep you clean and off drugs, but i would much rather do it in a way that actually leaves me with a life that got more to it than being obsessed with the program and not using. How are you really recovered, really free, if you cant even live nothing like a normal life and it all gotta be about not using? if every move you make gotta still be about that, then you really aint recovered at all, you just hiding from the real world and that aint no way to live, its the life of the addict just without the drugs. That aint no way to be.

actually most people brainwash themselves to get things to work to help w/addiction.i dont understand why you are so mad at aa if it helps some people then it helps. just like religion.if it helps someone stay sober what right do you have to belittle it.to a lot of people aa is a normal life,just not your normal life.me thinks you doth protest too much. so angry about the way people choose to help themselves.i dont belong to aa or church bui see it help addicts all the time. although i do believe spirituality helped me with my addiction.i didnt do it all myself, people seldom do weather they know it or not...what are you really mad about anyway.

".i dont understand why you are so mad at aa if it helps some people then it helps. "

I think his/her point is, it doesnt help and can actually do more harm than good. Also A.A./N.A. members tend to give out dangerous and narrow minded advice ime , like methadone doesnt work , get offf your psych. medication etc. They also seem oblivious to critics of the program and any treatments options other than the 12 steps.
Personally i think A.A. should be banned from being suggested to a patient by any courts or addiction centres / professionals. Its unproven, unregulated and deals with some of the most vunerable people in society

Stormbringer I got issues with the program becuz it aint some type of innocent harmless thing. the program suggests things that aint only negative, but dangerous. like the poster above me said , he is correct. the type shit that is suggests to people can do a lot more harm than help and I got issues with somebody who aint a doctor telling a person they need to stop takin their medications, with tellin people that methadone and suboxone dont work and are useless and bad. suboxone and methadone especially save so many peoples lives they can be miracle drugs for many people. completely blockin out a entire method of addiction treatment is horribly ignorant and close minded and it turns people off from very helpful, good options that got the potential to change their life. Tellin people who need to be on psych. meds for anxiety, depression, etc, to stop takin their meds or not take them at all in the first place is extremely dangerous and for a person who aint qualified to be sayin that is extremely reckless and irresponsible. And of course dont forget the people who suffer from chronic pain...who been in terrible accidents or who got cancer or other diseases and live in horrible miserable pain every day of their life, and NA and AA tells them hat they cant take their meds if they want to stay "clean", so they live in suffering for no good reason...I got a issue with all that.

if it was just some kind of harmless lil program that was about positive thinking and shit like that i wouldnt have that much problems with it. but i cant support a program that does such destructive things to people in the wrong hands. the black and white type philosophy is simple as hell and it aint true to life. life is full of gray areas and so is addiction and recovery from it. it aint a yes or no black or white type thing and NA and AA both treat it like that. and dont forget the completely , straight up, dead-WRONG information they repeat....that addiction is a "PHYSICAL ALLERGY" to drugs or alcohol, (lol) and other shit like that, things that are just straight up NOT true, at all, period, they just out right LIES, and they say this shit like its accurate, like its real, and people believe this completely madeup shit that aint got no base in reality or medicine.

Its ridiculous yo, it aint just some kind of program that teaches people better thinking and new ways to live, but spreads information that is absolutely false, it completely dismisses the value of solid, well-trusted, effective, respected medical treatments, it gives medical advice that is WRONG and could kill somebody who is vulnerable and blindly listens to their sponsor or group members, it cuts people off from other ways of thinkin and treatin their addiction that could offer them so much help and hope and tells them that this is the ONLY way, that they aint REALLY clean unless they do this that and the 3rd, and so on.

It aint hard to find stories about NA members who went off their psychiatric meds when their sponsor told em that they would "only sponsor people serious about bein clean and that means NO medications" so they stopped takin em and ended up killin themselfs....The program is so controlling and strick.....and dont even get me started on the whole powerlessness idea that keeps so many people relapsing and livin in addiction over and over and over....the guy who has ONE drink and then says, well, shit, i aint clean no more, and i cant control it cuz im an addict, so if i have another one it aint my fault....And then blacks out and goes on a crazy binge....the dope feen who been clean for a few months but then they decide to get high and boot a couple bags and then its "oh well, im powerless to control this, once i start i cant stop, i cant use responsibly, i cant use in moderation" and use it as a excuse and a self fulfillin prophecy to keep usin and go out of control and wile out. I been postin over and over many times in this thread how i feel about it and i aint gonna make another long-ass post sayin it all over again, but for real.

I wouldnt have a problem if this program could either help, or do nothing. If it was like that it wouldnt be a issue. if it was that simple, if it was just that "it either works for you or it dont, and if it dont work, no harm done" then that would be just fine.

but it aint like that. it can be, and alot of the time IS, a very destructive, negative, dangerous program that leaves some people who do it worse off than they were before they started. for a lot of folks when the program dont work they dont just shake it off and try somethin else but end up doin even worse. there is SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE backin this shit up--that the success rate of AA is actually LOWER than the success rate of addicts who do NOTHING AT ALL to try and get clean. straight up, its a scam, and it hurts alot of people. sure so does addiction (cuz i know thats wat people gonna say to that) but my point is that a program that is suppose to help people so much , if it was REALLY about helpin and usin all the options, it shouldnt write off and prohibit entire fields of treatment and say that its the ONLY way.

there is SO much out there to help people and the fact that they knock all that shit, every other way, methadone, suboxone and all replacement therapy, psychiatric medications, and other medical physical body based treatments, and even ban any DISCUSSION of any medical breakthrus/treatments for addiction in their meetings ("no 'professionalism' ") shows how narrow sighted the program is and how much they purely interested in promoting their own program. becuz no respectable program thats truly interested in givin addicts all the help that is possible would just exclude so much other types of treatment like that. its one thing to say, "we are a ______-based recovery model" and have your theory based on a certain type of idea, and make it centered around that or focus on it, but to totally DENY all medical treatments and medications and anything other than the steps is really deprivin people of shit that could help them. The way NA/AA totally rules out so much of the other treatment options, its like a doctor sayin that he will treat cancer, but ONLY without chemo, radiation, or any other medical-based treatment and will only offer meditation and counseling, becuz he beleives its possible to treat cancer with powerful mental concentration. OK, sure if u want to base the treatment on the mental side of it thats fine, but u dont just cut out all the other proven, successful, effective treatments too, you use them TOGETHER to get the best success. you dont just cut out entire methods unless they are a threat to your success becuz they promote ideas that might go against yours, and if you more interested in success and spreadin ur method and makin sure people dont open their minds and consider other shit than really givin people the most possible help then you aint all that innocent to begin with, real talk.

Last edited:
^ I agree with most , if not all of what you've said lacey and i to am bemused how A.A./N.A. etc.. havent been forced to be regulated (somehow) and its brand of quackery hasnt been banished from addiction treatment in the 21st century.
Its 2010 and like youve said in previous posts , the big book etc.. were wrote in the 1920's or 30's and medical professions know far, far more these days. Lets not forget there was no methadone, bupe, psychciatric medications in those days. Personally i liken the whole a.a. program, to when "doctors" used to drill holes in psychotic patients heads to let the demons out centurys ago.
Also i too have no problem with GOD or churches as they dont claim to "cure" addictions and tell you nothing else will work except themselves( with regards stopping drugs/booze.)
ALCOHOLICS/ADDICTS first port of call should be a PROFESSIONAL doctor/shrink as many addicts have underlying mental health/ child abuse issues. Ive read and believe over 50% of heroin addicts have childhood traumas, these vunerable people shouldnt be at meetings in their first few months of sobriety but in hospital or under a doctors/shrinks care.(not subject to bill W's old wives tales and superstitious nonsense)

Last edited:
i myself am on methadone.but all im saying is for some people AA seems to work and there are lots of people in AA on medication and have primary doctors.
religion seems to work for some people.sometimes i think its just what you believe in the most.
i don't know of any sure fire cures for addiction or else there would be no addicts.one thing i do believe in, at least for me is that drugs take the place of people and relationships in my life.
its like drugs are my people my friends. they always do what they say they will do and they never get mad at you.its all fine until you run out, then you wish you had never started.

Last edited:
"Furthermore, 12 step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous refused to accept methadone patients as full participants in their meetings. Many of the health problems that methadone patients evinced and the subsequent deaths in methadone treatment were caused by chronic alcoholism developed prior to admission to the program "(Joseph and Appel, 1985).

Ive been reading about the history of methadone and this segment of the article shows what a closed minded , hypocritical group a.a. can be. From my own experience in A.A. ive had other members tell me "they know nothing about drugs" when ive mentioned i was addicted to H, as well as alcohol. This sort of thing is one of the many reasons why i will never go back or indeed take any 12 step meeting seriously.

we have a programme here, run on a property which is stunning. golf course. rolling hills, animals, pretty flowers, blah, blah, blah...

id like to know the success rate at which these programmes operate. 3-4% is the norm. what a complete waste of time and resources. cut with the "soft sell", take em out to the middle of the desert and give em one choice. do it, or you can walk.

but i dont like your chances of survival...

Last edited:
I didnt make it all the way thru the whole article becuz I just aint beat for hearing the story of how it started, etc, all over again but I will force myself to. I got to the part of Bill W in the hotel and having a trip-vision of god n all that and skimmed thru the rest.

They dont know how AA works becuz it aint "AA" thats working, its the people who brainwash themselfs with the philosophies of it. And Dr Drew can suck a fucking dick, Oh, "If a person dont want to to the 12 steps they dont want to get better" FUCK YOU, You ignorant piece of pig shit. How insulting can you be to the idea of personal responsibility?

I despise the idea that you cant stay clean without NA. That you "need" meetings to keep you clean, TWENTY FUCKIN YEARS after you stopped using. That you got so little strenth of your own that every single moment of your day is still a risk filled situation that could send you flying back into the pit of addiction.

You become a slave to meetings. Replacing your addiction to drugs/alcohol with addiction to the program. People eat live and sleep the program, the amount they are obsessed with it is straight up scary to me honestly. They are like programmed robots brainwashed to all think the same shit, to believe all this shit, and its the only way that they can stay clean ,is to believe it.

If it keeps em clean, good for them. If it works for them I am happy for them and it must not be such a bad thing for THEM. But shit, all I see after the hundreds of meetings that Ive wasted my nights at, is a bunch of people whose lives are still about drugs, every second of them. Except now, they about NOT using drugs instead of using them.

You cant just be a person who got off drugs. You cant just be you. You got to be you, ADDICT. You got to be a addict who is ALWAYS at risk, FOR-EVARRRR. That after 30 years without gettin high, you are still at as much risk as u were the day you quit, of relapsing. That its like this monster hidden around every corner, that you are WEAK and you CANT fight it without the program, that you CANT do it alone, that you aint CAPABLE of stayin clean, unless you do this that and the third. You GOT to do this, you GOT to get a sponsor, you GOT to go to 90 meetings in 90 days, you GOT to work the steps, all this garbage.

Well how bout this, i been clean 9 months and I aint been to a meeting in like 5 months. I actually never even went to collect my 6 months keychain, OR my 9 months one, becuz I got so sick of the meetings that I seriously just couldnt do it no more. Just sittin there listening to these people delude themselfs over and over, repeating this same cult-like shit time after time just got to be too much for me.

I aint denying that for some people it has helped them alot. but as a person who is a independent thinker who likes to do shit myself, think shit thru myself, there is just so many gaping holes in their philosophies, so much contradiction, so much shit thats just ass-backwards, that its totally useless to me. I really cant do it. That group-think shit, the mindless agreeing, man its just scary to me. its really like a cult IMO.

Is that really the life you want to life, yea , off drugs, but terrified? Scared that every day, any day, you could just fall off and start using and end up dead? That your addiction is a living thing thats like, scheming and plotting ways to win you back? That you should drive 50 minutes out of your way to work every morning , so you dont pass a bar? That you are SO FUCKING WEAK that even driving past a street corner that you copped dope at ONCE can totally throw you off balance and send you right back to the needle like a choice-less zombie? That you NEED to go to a meeting every day, becuz THATS wats keeping you clean--not your own will, not your strentgh, not your heart as your desire to stay clean gets stronger, not your wisdom and your intelligence that helps guide you, not you, but "the program"? That you will always forever be an addict, so even 60 years after you quit you still need to go to meetings and work the steps? That you will never, ever change, never be stronger, never be "cured" or "recovered", that recovery is forever and you are just doomed to always be that way til the day you die?

I aint down with the powerlessness. I aint powerless. If i was powerless, I would not have been able to quit using when i realized that i really, truly, absolutely HAD TO or i was goin straight to state prison. if i was powerless, I never could have used around my probation schedule, gettin high on the day of my piss test and the day after ,and leavin 5 days in between to clean up so i could piss clean for my PO visit a week later. If i was powerless, I woulda just started binging out like crazy every time i got a couple bundles and not stopped using til it was gone, nevermind probation. if i was powerless, I never coulda copped those 3 bundles and just left them sittin there, hidden in my closet, for 4 days while i laid there sick as a dog, hurtin, miserable, depressed, wantin to die while I kicked, and not even touched them, not even considered touching them until after i passed my piss test.

If I was powerless, I woulda needed NA to get clean like I been. If i was powerless, i never coulda turned my life around like I did. I aint powerless, I took back my power that I had gave up, lost a hold on, and forgot that I had while i was usin. I got a choice, and when i was buried in the suffering of my addiction I couldnt exercise that choice, i coudlnt hold on tight enough to make a solid choice and stick to it, but I got it back eventually. I didnt go to rehab. I didnt go to NA. I didnt do jack-shit, except get on my Methadone, and start some long, hard thinking.

Soon enough, i lost that obsession with heroin. it took months, but it happened. It stopped bein this idea, buried in my heart , living inside of me, this passionate, destructive, insane love, wanting, craving, and just gradually turned into another idea just like anything else. It went from bein that crazy lover who you have ups and downs with, the person where its so intense that one minute you want to kill each other and the next you are furiously fucking, who you would kill for, and also want to kill. And became that boring guy/girl down the street that you really dont know much or feel nothing for, just a bland aquaintance.

Heroins grip dropped off my heart & my mind, it let go and became just another thing. Not the obssessive lust for the drug of the addict but the take it or leave it attitude of the casual recreational drug user who has fun once in a while and then gets back to 'normal' life the majority of the time. that insane, doomed love affair with dope turned into something totally lame and boring, like it was just a kind of uninteresting co-worker instead of a secret crush that burns so hot and bright inside of you that you drive yourself crazy thinking of them.

And once that crazy obsession ended, I was able to do dope , pick it up, and get a little high. Have some fun, and then forget about it for another couple months. Without none of the "oh shit, its gone? i got to get more, just one more shot, just get high for one more day" shit. Without nothing really, no feelings of disappointment when it was over and i had to go back to the daily methadone grind. It was a fun thing, and when it was done it was done. and thats all there was to it. I wasnt fantasizing, thinking about when I will be able to have it again, just living for that day when I get to boot another shot. It wasnt even really in the back of my mind.

I was too busy livin my life, a normal life, not a ex drug addict life. I dont WANT to identify myself as a fuckin ADDICT, i want to be ME. If i aint using the drug no more, if my life stopped being about this drug then why should I still make every fuckin moment be about avoiding it, which is the entire focus of the NA/AA programs? Is it really true that every single person who was ever addicted, will never, EVER be able to have a normal life again? That they are doomed to a life of NA picnics, NA barbecues ,NA sports games, NA meetings, NA community projects, NA this and fuckin that all day forever. That NA is the only "safe zone" that you can trust. That NA is the only one for you. NA will take care of you, NA will keep you safe and happy. You need NA. You cant live without NA. Trust NA and put your faith in NA and you will be ok.

It sounds alot to me like a drug addict if you replace NA with Heroin or Alcohol, etc.

If that life is wat being clean is about,.....Fuck bein clean.

But it aint GOT to be like that, becuz you aint gotta listen to their bullshit-ass lies and insane mind-warping philisophies.

But of course , according to them, that only means that you "dont really want to/aint really ready to get clean." 8( :|

I could go on forever and ever about this and I know i already been goin off for a while now, so Ima wrap it up but seriously, it aint no suprise to me that they say they aint got no idea how or even if the program works, becuz there aint nothing to it except a persons willingness to delude themself and listen to wat they are told, and their ability to totally devote their life to that. If you can do that, the program will most definately keep you clean and off drugs, but i would much rather do it in a way that actually leaves me with a life that got more to it than being obsessed with the program and not using. How are you really recovered, really free, if you cant even live nothing like a normal life and it all gotta be about not using? if every move you make gotta still be about that, then you really aint recovered at all, you just hiding from the real world and that aint no way to live, its the life of the addict just without the drugs. That aint no way to be.

this articles about aa, you keep talking about na you know there's a difference right?

There aint a difference. replace "drugs" with "alcohol" in the steps. I been to both and there wasnt no difference anytime i been at either--in one they talk about alcohol, in another one they talk about drugs, its the same exact fucking steps and the same program. Trust me , my hate extends to both of them, not just na.

i understand all of the points you made but sometimes it comes down to people who've tried every single possible way of getting sober and as a last resort go to aa. these are usually the people who it helps the most. If you're so much better without the program than you obviously don't need it, there's no reason to label the people that find comfort in it and who's lives have been saved as brainwashed morons.

I aint gonna lie, i got strong feelings about the shit, but i do know that theres alot of people in the program whose good peoples.

But, the ones who push the shit on others, and the ones who are actively tryna promote it as the "only" way, etc, who are really aggressive about the program and about recruiting people who are vulnerable, and allt hat shit, I got a problem with. Its one of those things like "the troops." I might be against the war in iraw when it happend, but i didnt say all the soldiers were assholes. Sure there was some war mongering douches, but alot of regular guys int he troops too. but the people who started the war, in charge of it, thats who i really got the issue with--same here. I feel that NA and AA got soem very sinister under tones and are capable of doin a lot of harm, and people aint aware of the bad , kinda darkside of it, and the folks in charge and the people who are like super brainwashed, ultra into it, trying to spread the steps aggressively, etc...thats who i really got the issue with, i guess.

I am a former member of AA.

I will say, it DID help me out at certain times of my life (and may help me out again if I get out of control again) but I realized I will never be a '20 year sober' kind of guy. I'm more like a 'take a 3-4 month break' kind of guy, at the most (that was the most amount of time I could put together in the program). Therefore, I can't stay in the program because if I decide to have a few beers or a few glasses of wine, I am sick of that being considered a 'relapse.'

However, I am not going to knock how the program works, including the G-d part of it. I have a very strong belief in G-d. AA DOES save lives.

In conclusion, I just love my import beers too much at this point in my life. =)

i understand all of the points you made but sometimes it comes down to people who've tried every single possible way of getting sober and as a last resort go to aa. these are usually the people who it helps the most. If you're so much better without the program than you obviously don't need it, there's no reason to label the people that find comfort in it and who's lives have been saved as brainwashed morons.

I TOTALLY agree.

There aint a difference. replace "drugs" with "alcohol" in the steps. I been to both and there wasnt no difference anytime i been at either--in one they talk about alcohol, in another one they talk about drugs, its the same exact fucking steps and the same program. Trust me , my hate extends to both of them, not just na.

i wish that anybody who talks about this subject would stop seperating alcohol from drugs(alcohol and drugs).

it should state, "drugs including alcohol". after all, it(Alcohol)is a drug. in any case, looks like that mind is a lil warped in this case, so carry on regardless, just dont bother anyone with your bullshit, yeah ?

one thing i gotta say in defence, though, ia that you seem to have your life defined by being an addict, NO MATTER what you have achieved in life. THEN, once you become "clean", (oh how i hate that word !)your defined by your sobriety.

kind of like people who end thier lives, they just become known as "oh, thats the guy who took his life..."

that part, i dont like.

"Furthermore, 12 step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous refused to accept methadone patients as full participants in their meetings. Many of the health problems that methadone patients evinced and the subsequent deaths in methadone treatment were caused by chronic alcoholism developed prior to admission to the program "(Joseph and Appel, 1985).

Ive been reading about the history of methadone and this segment of the article shows what a closed minded , hypocritical group a.a. can be. From my own experience in A.A. ive had other members tell me "they know nothing about drugs" when ive mentioned i was addicted to H, as well as alcohol. This sort of thing is one of the many reasons why i will never go back or indeed take any 12 step meeting seriously.

i don't know where you found this article on the history of methadone but it looks pretty closed minded to me and wrong. methadone was never meant for use in alcoholism treatment.methadone causes very few to no health problems in most people.a lot of these groups you speak of in aa don't sound anything at all like the ones in Austin TX. like most things you just have to take what you can use from any program.i personally believe alcohol to be a very dangerous drug when compared to any opiate.

i think you totally misunderstood wat he was saying. He aint saying methadone is dangerous, at all. And he aint saying methadone is a treatment for alcoholism.

He was saying that 12 step groups like NA and AA dont consider people on methadone to be "clean" and are against methadone and suboxone treatment, and that part of the reason for that, is that NA and AA believe that methadone is dangerous and unhealthy. and that AA based its information about methadone bein unhealthy on studies that showed negative effects. but the people who had bad effects, were alcohol abusers with shitty health, and that the complications that they had was from their alcohol abuse, not from the methadone.

@lacey k thanks for explaining my post properly!!! The article i was refering to was about early done treatment in new york, where the local A.A. meetings wouldnt except methadone patients(who are also booze addicts) into their bosom.
The only difference with A.A. and N.A. ive found is that many a.a. menbers dont class themselves as drug addicts and look down on i.v. junkies, even though alcohol is a destructive drug which makes people violent. heroins only real downside imo is because its illegal.
AA/NA is one of the biggest "medical " treatment scams of the 20th centuary imo.