• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

RSPB Survey - Big Garden Bird Watch

Yeah, feed those rats, they need to eat too!

Ur lucky if u see a firecrest. They're just goldcrests but their crests are a little redder. They're pretty rare. Siskin's r pretty little things too.

I saw the waxwings in Bromsgrove but they've been all over the country this winter, the biggest influx we're had in decades. They're almost everywhere, no better time to see these magnificent beasties!

Just spotted two Coal tits in the tree in my garden.

Tomorrow i'm going to go buy some nuts to hang up as my garden's looking a little bare.

Anyone else notice the starlings have thrived on a harsh winter?

Wrens, on the other hand, suffer badly. I've had five of the (very little) buggers squatting in the swallows nest by the front door. On a side note, their suffering is soon alleviated by their sexual proclivities - socially monogamous birds that fuck every other wren in sight like crazy when the time comes. My kind of bird. :)

Anyone else notice the starlings have thrived on a harsh winter?

Wrens, on the other hand, suffer badly. I've had five of the (very little) buggers squatting in the swallows nest by the front door. On a side note, their suffering is soon alleviated by their sexual proclivities - socially monogamous birds that fuck every other wren in sight like crazy when the time comes. My kind of bird. :)

well there y'are now ya learn something new every day, i never knew that about wrens, ill have ta tell me dad. when he was a boy, on st stephens day they useta go out and catch a wren and go round knocking neighbours doors for money. theres a rhyme goes with it too.

saw a thrush today, but am still glowing about the gold crest

they were all too quick for me to get a god look at them this morning, there were some things with long tails. i do live in inner city ive never had such a variety as this winter

they were all too quick for me to get a god look at them this morning, there were some things with long tails.

Magpies presumably. 25 years ago I stood in Sefton Park and marvelled at the sight of about 10 of them. Because they were so rare then (when Magpie - ITV's Blue Peter - was on as a kid I'd never even seen one).

Now they've taken over. And the bastards eat my baby swallows in the summer.

I really don't like magpies.

they were all too quick for me to get a god look at them this morning, there were some things with long tails. i do live in inner city ive never had such a variety as this winter

Or if they were 'mini magpies' they were probably pied wagtails?

Or long taliled tits?

@ StoneHappyMonday - I agree that magpies eat chicks of other birds and I used to hate them for it too but it's no different than sparrowhawks or kestrels eating other animals. It's a good indicator of the health of a local bird population - if there are lots of magpies then there must be lots of other birds too. If there weren't many chicks for them to eat then their population wud die down too.

I do hate the thort of them eating gorgeous little swallow chick tho...I do love swallows. I remember seeing a pair of magpies pecking away at a sparrowes hidy hole trying to get at their young. I think they got an egg then buggered off.:(

Magpies are real carnivores aren't they, they love a bit of roadkill. Someone who shoots once told me gamekeepers keep magpies in a cage (I can't remember why) and they're fed on raw meat. I never realised that.

Magpies are real carnivores aren't they, they love a bit of roadkill. Someone who shoots once told me gamekeepers keep magpies in a cage (I can't remember why) and they're fed on raw meat. I never realised that.

Oh, this is a bloody awful practise, they often keep them in cages as a trap so that bigger, more dangerous (as far as gamekeepers are concerned) birds come to try and eat the magpie and end up getting caught and killed themselves.

The poor magpies really freak out when predators are right next to them like cats and they can't escape. It's cruel on the magpies and the birds of prey that they're used to catch.

Evil bastards, if u know of anyone doing this then please let me know where they are, I'll soon stop them doing it.

@ StoneHappyMonday - I agree that magpies eat chicks of other birds and I used to hate them for it too but it's no different than sparrowhawks or kestrels eating other animals.

I'll admit I'm on dodgy grounds when it comes to treating all things equal but is it really the same? Kestrels are elegant, and I'm sure I could find something nice to say about sparrowhawks given an hour or so but magpies? They just nick everything off everyone and screech a lot. And they have taken over which brings me to

It's a good indicator of the health of a local bird population - if there are lots of magpies then there must be lots of other birds too. If there weren't many chicks for them to eat then their population wud die down too.

I'm not sure this is true. They only eat chicks as fledgelings in summer and manage to get through autumn, winter and spring without them. Maybe because they eat all the fat balls too.

I do love swallows.

Me too. This is what I have over my front door every summer.

100_0593-1.jpg

I'll admit I'm on dodgy grounds when it comes to treating all things equal but is it really the same? Kestrels are elegant, and I'm sure I could find something nice to say about sparrowhawks given an hour or so but magpies? They just nick everything off everyone and screech a lot. And they have taken over which brings me to

I'm not sure this is true. They only eat chicks as fledgelings in summer and manage to get through autumn, winter and spring without them. Maybe because they eat all the fat balls too.

Me too. This is what I have over my front door every summer.

100_0593-1.jpg
Your very lucky , i saw that pic of the Nuthatch did u take it yourself ?
We had Housemartins 4 2 years runnin but the Magpie's got 2 them unfortunatley.

Clocked a Pied Wagtail 2 day . He was runnin round like a nutter ! I've never thought of them in the same category of Magpies. I ain't their biggest fan .

Goldcrest spent a good 5 minutes on the Xmas tree in the garden , fantastic little fella only comes by once in a blue moon so was v lucky. Saw a Treecreeper as well they certainly live up 2 their name!

Hey Brimz thanks for the PM - I missed it though. Which is weird as Radio 5 is on virtually constantly here.

now would the bbc approve of this, 8o would they accept our data (yes i know its rspb, but auntie beeb does like to stick its nose in) ;)