• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 177 66.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by trifecta:
In this case, assuming the director has never done drugs insinuates to me that the movie is some type of anti-drug propaganda. Granted it might be anti-drug propaganda even if he had done drugs, but the fact that he hasn't done drugs is a stronger indication that it's more on the "anti" side of the drug issue.
hi
where do you draw the line?
does a movie director have to have crashed a race car to make a valid work about a driver who crashes his race car?
are vietnam epics meaningless if the director is not a veteran?
alasdair

I watched this for the first time last night. I assume they were doing smack as they referred to 'skag' and 'dope'. So WTF was up with the pupils DILATING every time someone had a fix?
It's extremely likely the director has never tried heroin or even seen anyone on the stuff if he thinks peoples eyes dilate when it hits them.
I thought the movie was pretty sad. That poor mum Sara and her red dress, made me think of the homeless people you see on the streets wearing the same tattered items of clothing day in day out. And I wondered if those crazy homeless people were reliving their glory days in their shabby suits and stained dresses like she was in that horrible dress.

I never got the impression Harry was the one who told her she was selected to be on TV but then I haven't read the book. I don't think he'd be so cruel. He loved his mum but she was a low priority.

It was sad the mums progression but I didn't give a shit about the other characters.

Harry's arm was revolting. I felt sorry for the Wayans character, who wouldn've got in the shit at any of the times if it weren't for Harry. Come to think of it, the girlfriend wouldn'tve either.

BLAME HARRY!!

(Blame heroin??)
Bah, this was pretty good, interesting, but the pupil dilation really bugged me.

^^
Perhaps the director used pupil dialation becuase he knew that more people associated that with drug use? I mean you would think that he and everyone working on the movie KNEW that heroin contracts the pupils rather than dialates them, it wouldn't have taken long to research it, or to have a stagehand say "hey, Mr. Director, sir, that's inaccurate." But I think there's some sort of reasoning behind it becuase there's no doubt in my mind that the director KNEW that heroin did not affect the eyes like this. And that's why it doesn't bother me ;)

where do you draw the line?
does a movie director have to have crashed a race car to make a valid work about a driver who crashes his race car?
are vietnam epics meaningless if the director is not a veteran?

I think I addressed this on p.2 of this thread. If the issue were race car driving or the vietnam war, it would be harder for me to critque because I personally don't have experience with race car driving or war. Also, I think drugs can be differentiated from topics like race car driving, war, etc. because it's difficult to take a neutral stance regarding drugs, but it's much easier to simply lay out the facts and be unbiased for a subject like race car driving (and war, to a lesser extent). If, for example, the director of a film on race relations in the U.S. was born in Europe, then I wouldn't give the film much credit.
Generally speaking, when the subject is drugs, people tend to take either a pro- or anti- stance towards it (as opposed to simply laying out the facts). And if the person himself has never done drugs himself, I think the tendancy would be for him/her to have a negative impression of drugs. Based on this film, it's hard to not see that the director has a negative impression of drugs - and if he's not basing this on personal experience, then it doesn't hold a lot of merit, in my eyes.

I'll admit, I'm probably the last person in the world to see this movie (yesterday).

Some of my idead regarding this movie have already beed said though. I think the destruction of everyone was absolutely centered around the seasons. Why else would the director put the words 'Fall' and 'Winter' in it's own shot unless he wanted you to notice the coincidences. It doesnt take a genius to see snow and realize it's winter out.

I'm still not sure what I think about the red dress, and what it symbolizes. The lady who played Sarah Goldfarb did an excellent job in my opinion though. The scene of her cleaning the house over, and over, and over was great.

Towards the very end of the movie, they showed Tyrone in jail stirring a large pot of 'white gooey stuff' that looked like frosting, what the hell was that stuff? Does anyone have a clue?

The ending was pretty intense, definitely one of the best movie endings I've seen in a while. Everyone curling up into the fetal position was a nice touch. Good movie!

Ugh what is so great about this movie? EVERYONE loves it. To me it was just some fancy camera tricks. Its plot is just stupid and very unoriginal . I haven't seen it for a while and would like to see it again, maybe Id have more of an appreciation. But nothing new in this film in my opinion.

Also, is the mother's psycosis from Diet pills realistic? I guess I don't know shit about this, but simple diet pilsl in this day and age are not some strong methamphetamine-like drug. Or is she scoring something illegally? I can't remember exactly. Sorry for putting this movie down, I just didn't buy it when I saw it.

^^

the movie isn't set in this day and age... it's a contemporarised version of a much older book.

Tech Kinetics said:
I'm still confused about the 3rd rule "No Orgasm". If the mother was trying to follow the rules to get on the show. What's not having an orgasm have anything to do with part of her diet??
And BTW, where did you see the words "No Orgasm" during the commercial??? What was the size of the lettering?? [/B]

on the DVD, one of the special features is the full version of 'Month of Fury'.
The basis is that Tibby is a self-help guru. And the month of fury is a health kick. Basically for a month you eat no red meat or sugar and have no orgasms.

The 'Month of Fury' show is, IMHO, a satirical look at people looking for the easy way out. This seems to be the central theme rather than that of addiction. Look at the evidence:

1. Sara takes the easy way out to weight loss.

2. Harry takes the easy way out to raising cash (many different ways).

3. Harry, Tyrone and Marion all take the easy way out trying to kick smack... they stay off one day and take this as proof that they can stop whenever they want and promptly bang up to celebrate.

4. Harry would rather shoot into an infected vein than risk missing a shot.

5. etc... There are many others that follow this theme. I just can't remember them right now.

I don't mean to beat this to death...

A while back in literature class the teacher mentioned something about a technique used in plays that related to the seasons. Summer - Growth
Fall- Harvest
Winter- Death (tragedy)

These themes could easily be related to the movie. I think it was intentional that the movie moves along with the seasons... and I'm not being over-analytical!

Film: Requiem For a Dream (merged)

right- the best film ever has to be requrium for a dream. (duno how thats spelt8) :\ . well its all about a herion user who goes through life living through deaths n his gf turning into a hoe to get quick cash- n how his mother takes bare loads of ectasy for wieght loss. its so down to earth n real. really worth having a look at. =D

Word, you're trying to tell BLUELIGHT about this movie like we've never heard of it, you wrote a barely decipherable post, and what I could decipher was incorrect.

Had you searched for any threads on this movie, you would have found the following
well, if she searched for "requreim" it's normal she didn't find anything :)

plus arnofsky(afronofsky?)(sp?) has stated plenyty of times its not heroin....and on another note this is the new "film and televesion" it's gogin to suck having to go to phto.net now for photoshop q's

uenjymyself said:
plus arnofsky(afronofsky?)(sp?) has stated plenyty of times its not heroin....and on another note this is the new "film and televesion" it's gogin to suck having to go to phto.net now for photoshop q's

Really? I thought they made nummerous references to Herion in the movie like Horse?
What did Aronofsky say Jared Leto was shooting up in his arm?

Hell, you just gave me a good excuse to watch it again :)

none of the listed threads really get into the specific drugs in the film tho... a guy i used to work with brought this up at lunch, we were going through scene for scene and trying to break down the drug use...

they pop some oxycontin at one point, speed, they shoot heroin and do coke, smoke weed, and the mom is on prescription "diet" pills- which in the real world translates to speed, meth-amphetamine... very much unlike over-the-counter caffiene/ephedrine tabs... i don't recall everything we determined... i'm not too keen on pills- the guy i worked with knew what the mom was taking to bring her down every night but i can't recall at the moment...

^untrue, the drug IV'd is never mentioned only assumed it was junk by the way the three acted....nor do they "pop oxycontin" everything was speculated and that was the point. the mother was on diet pills, wich one can only assume would be upers and downers"benzos" to bring her down,however this is all speculation since none of the drugs,are ever called by any names.....the reason it morehten lickley isent coke like the cat above stated is because it seemed to be used on an hourley basis rather hetn every ten min.pot is obvious but once again nver named....of course hte most obvious canidate is junk iwould say it is junk but itis just symbolism and oyu have to look past the "drug" as it is only meant to represent......so please list off for me when they do coke or oxycontin etc etc.

film: Requiem For a Dream.

Has anyone seen this movie. It has Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Ellen Burstyn, Marlon Wayans

of course who hasnt?
although its the kind of movie i dont like to watch too often - just like "schindlers list" - way too emotional.
its good to keep things in perspective and see just how far drug taking can go.
the girls with the dildo in the middle of all those guys just makes me want to vomit :-/