• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational Temazepam Dosage?

No, GABAergics can save lives. Just because they were overprescribed at one point, does not mean the benefits do not outweigh the risks for some people

Anyway this thread was necroed and I would close it if I still had the power
Explain " necroed " to me and I'll close it for ya.

And I agree that gaba drugs do indeed help people lead productive lives and give quality of life back to people. Imagine being able to go out in the world with confidence instead of having panic attacks just being out and about. That would suck ! Or being an insomniac that only benzos would help. Who the hell wants to toss and turn all night and be wide awake at 3 AM. Not I said the little red hen.

And yeah. They were over prescribed. Not the patient that needs them fault.

No, GABAergics can save lives. Just because they were overprescribed at one point, does not mean the benefits do not outweigh the risks for some people

Anyway this thread was necroed and I would close it if I still had the power
Very very few. Epileptics. They are simply unsustainable as a treatment for anxiety. The active damage to the GABA system makes them unsuitable for this purpose. We gonna have to agree to disagree on this point. (And I make it as someone who has diagnosed severe ptsd and GAD).

I think this remains a valid thread here in BDD as this is a common question about a common drug, and there is some harm reduction value in having an answer.

The answer, in my mind, is somewhere between 30mg-90mg for most people.

Temazepam does have a physical euphoria to it that many other benzos lack, but personally not a big fan since it doesn't have the, "I can conquer the world now", type of bravado that more powerful anxiolytics like alprazolam or etizolam can induce. Temazepam is one of the most selective for the a1 subunit of the GABAA benzodiazepine binding site (a1B3y2), which together with its particular pharmacokinetics (in which it hits peak blood levels quickly), makes it a fast-acting hypnotic that produces heavier inebriation than most benzos. If that is what you are going for its good. Personally, I only get that effect from large doses. Oddly, lower doses (15mg-30mg) make me feel a bit anxious and makes it more difficult for me to sleep. Gives me a nasty rebound too.

In regards to the limitations of benzos I tend to agree with @cdin. Many of the people on daily doses of benzos for anxiety, especially those on high doses, probably shouldn't be on them. They should be reserved for the most severe, intractable and treatment resistant anxiety disorders when all else has failed (essentially in cases of "terminal anxiety"). Benzos are medically indispensable but in 20 years they will not be used nearly as widely as they are now. Terrible to think that psychiatrists are still handing out xanax prescriptions to house wives upon their first mention of their anxiety, etc. Or even worse, to an anxious 17 year old.

Yeh it's very difficult to have them prescribed now in the UK. Even one of the factors in the auditing of GP surgeries is something like "level of hypnotic prescriptions". So naturally every surgery is wanting this to be as low as feasible. You do have some legacy patients who still get 10mg diazepam prescriptions on repeat but even these patients will have had their monthly amount reduced. Say you go in today and explain that you have just had a seizure because of benzo abuse withdrawal, the best you can hope for is a one time only prescription for 14 x 5mg diazepam. I also hear that people presenting with anxiety who are offered an SSRI might also get a script. Although this will be 14 x 2mg and again, explicitly stated as one time only. Essentially an as needed to help ease onto SSRI but that's your lot...that said I do know some people who get nirtazepam(?) prescriptions but they are almost exclusively ex-cons or long term abusers of heroin or alcohol. I'm sure other UK folk will know about this?

Unfortunately as others have now said, the evidence for long term efficacy for anxiety isn't great. Benzos will never go away though because they are essential medications. Not just for the obvious conditions like epilepsy but they are also used in lots of situations in hospital care and surgery.

To me, this is a question that cannot really be answered and after 8 years s b old be closed, though do what you will

I have brain damage, after it occurred I started having seizures and lost nearly 50 lbs; I regained most of the weight on klonopin. Not sure what I would do without it, rhiugh I concede messing with GABA is generally a bad thing

I used to take 20 mg temazepam for anxiety as needed. It was good for that purpose and I was chillin' on the couch watching movies. Oh, but wait, this topic was about the recreational use.