• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Recovering H addict, can I still smoke?

ark9

Bluelighter
I would like to hear your opinions: do you think smoking weed is a hindrance to staying clean and/or general growth?
I've been smoking for years, man.. It's hard to quit everything all at once. Heroin is hard enough to stay away from.
It sucks that I'm still using a substance as a crutch, so to speak... ideally I'd like to be in a place where I am happy without anything, but for now... I dunno... being a pot-head is better than being a dope-fiend. Right?

Also quickly wanted to note that I have attended NA and AA meetings, on and off for about two years now. And as you most likely know, these meetings suggest complete abstinence. I just feel like it isn't always that black and white. For some people, it is.. and that works for them which is great. I just hate feeling like a fraud. I find myself not wanting to go to meetings anymore because of this. I don't want to lie, but my sponsor surely won't take me through the steps knowing I am still using. I guess I just have to choose. I'm not really sure.

Is total abstinence the only successful way to go?

i can't really say as i've never had to kick a hard addiction but i can assure you it's better to use pot as a crutch than let's say.. alcohol..

maybe just fall onto pot for now and then when you want to get completely clean you can just drop that habit :)

I think the question is following: Do you personally think that you can be a functional, happy person while smoking weed, or is it holding you back? the heroin obviously held you back, that's why you quit it. In the end, I believe that it should be up to you to decide if you are okay to smoke or not, just be honest with yourself.

My personal opinion is that one should not tackle too many goals at once. Also, quitting a serious opioid addiction seems to be very hard on its own (I wouldn't know, thankfully). I guess it's safe to say that cannabis addiction pretty benign, relatively speaking. If you can be functional with weed and especially if it helps you stay clean from heroin, I'd say why not...

just for personal interest: how long have you been clean from heroin and how often do you use weed? how is your life going at the moment? these are all things to consider as well.

Last edited:
herb is a way to stay away from other vices but whether it's a good way is hard to say, really up to the individual and whether or not you can still handle your life the way you need to and want to.

Dunno about you OP, but pot tends to make me not want to take other things, lots of self-critical, drug-negative introspection for better and worse.
So I can see it actually keeping you away from H, so if that's the case and you still want to smoke then I wouldn't try and talk you out of it.

I've been clean for quite a few years now, and have smoked regularly (multiple times daily) since quitting heroin once and for all. I am still on suboxone all these years later, but weed is the only substance I use to get high. I have some legitimate pain issues which smoking weed helps, but I'd be lying if I said it's not primarily to get high, but because I enjoy it and not because I'm addicted to it. If I didn't smoke I wouldn't be tempted to use other substances, but I wouldn't be as content as I am now. I've got a good job which I'm advancing in quickly and have a great fiancée and parents I don't have to hide my smoking from, so for now I feel like I'm doing great. You know better than anyone else how it will effect you - are you going to be content with smoking weed, or could you see it leading you back to heroin? You know best.

-CTdopeLove

just for personal interest: how long have you been clean from heroin and how often do you use weed? how is your life going at the moment? these are all things to consider as well.

5 days clean from H. I smoke daily (when I'm not using opiates, at least). Life isn't bad, but it isn't particularly good either. Just forever trapped in this cycle: get clean, relapse, repeat. I don't know why. It has been over 2 years. I am disgusted with myself, actually when I really think about it. I hope this will be the last run around, for real.

I guess I should also note that I tried Adderall for the 1st time about a month or two ago.. and proceeded to buy a bunch after enjoying myself on it. Since then, I've been doing em on and off, basically whenever I wasn't on heroin lol. I quickly realized I was repeating the same addict-behaviors, just a different drug... I took this as being a lot worse than just smoking. Adderall has issues of it's own that I don't need to get mixed up with. I've pulled several all-nighters from it and have had other weird ass side effects, yet I still continued to do them. Yesterday I took the last pill, so now I am all out which is good!! I never thought for even a moment that I am "cross-addicted", like I said I don't really agree with the black and white thinking of if you're addicted to one drug you are addicted to all of them. Now, honestly yeah, I'm a lil more confused... I really did enjoy the addies and I got just a lil bit carried a way. I don't know if my age makes this behavior any more 'normal', I'm 19. Also clearly in a bit of rough patch, considering I am after all just getting off of Heroin, stabilizing without, trying to not be depressed. The addies of course gave me energy, motivation and a mood boost.....

Buttttt yeah. At least I didn't buy more :p
Instead I'm buying a quarter. Again, lesser of the evils... FUCK NARCOTICS! I don't even know why I always wanna get high so bad! Life is good! I just am always bored!

Personally after coming off heroin my ex and i went through 1.5 ounces of weed a week between the two of us. It gradually got to the point where we were smoking 3-4 blunts each a day. Then once we were on methadone for an extended period of time it started getting lowered purely by the fact we were no longer sitting around smoking weed constantly as we had been, started going out and doing thing etc. We are now at the point where we smoke 1 blunt together around 9pm... i still dont have many smoking friends and we ended on an extremely good note (it wasnt so much a break up as "we should go out and experience the world single the almost 6 year story of us is long and full of sacrifice but its time to discover ourselves again", type thing) but its amazing how both she and i basically needed weed to keep our minds off dope but once we were 6ish months into that the amount of weed started getting cut back.

I think its possible and i think it helps a lot of people it definitely helped both of us and now we are at normal amounts for each of us a day, one 1.5g blunt split between us at 9pm. Its awesome and even 12 months ago i wouldnt have thought the story would end this well :)

I appreciate everyone's response! Thank you.

Overall I should be ok smoking. I simply do not enjoy weed as much as other drugs... I don't find myself struggling with that mental obsession that I experience with the other drugz. Therefore IMO it's not too dangerous or risky. It's something I can stop whenever without experiencing a horrible comedown or withdrawal. It provides a high that should be "just enough" - mellows me out, helps with boredom as well as other drug cravings.

There still remains the small voice in my head saying "you are aware that daily pot use isn't GOOD for you, either. Nothing in excess is." Occasional pot smoking IMO is really no big deal, at all. But, I smoke err day. I care so much about this because of my fear of hindering any possible spiritual growth. I presume it may not be beneficial when I am also trying to become a healthier individual, wanting to be more in touch with my self. Beginning with meditation, breaking down the barriers of my ego.. and hopefully one day connecting with the different planes of consciousness, God, and the Universe. I smoke weed for the sake of my ego's pleasure... AKA a major set back in breaking the barriers of the ego.

But alright see writing really does help! I realize I should relax.. There are so many other harmful things I do daily, apart from smoking weed, so it's not like that's now my only issue! So, whatevs. For now anyway. I suppose I can't expect to open my third eye in one day! ha ha. I'll tackle that next... Start small - reach 30 days clean.

IMO, you're fine. I've met more than 1 person who has used cannabis to help wean themselves off heroin or pharm opiates and they are quite content in their abstinence from opioids.

Keep in mind that part of the mental aspect to using cannabis in recovery is that 1. AA says it's bad 2. the federal government says it's bad. Fortunately, both of these groups are wrong, but they sure do a good job of getting under our skin and making us doubt ourselves.

Medically, cannabis can help return your body to homeostasis. Using opiates makes a lot of things out of wack and it can be uncomfortable getting back to normal.

My guess (which is supported by other recovering addicts I've met), is that without an underlying pain condition, you'll be able to decrease your use of cannabis quite a bit after initial withdraw if you so chose. But because cannabis is such a safe non-addictive substance, there's no issue with using extra if you have extra stress, pain, etc...

Depends on the individual.

I knew one lady (who used to sell me dope) who used to say that heroin ruined weed (which she loved) for her, because "smoking weed reminded her of smoking other things".

But then again I know one guy who was a horrible alcoholic for whom marijuana was a godsend, and he's doing really well for himself now. So yeah, it's individual dependent IMO.

Not knocking AA/NA because I believe they are valuable for many people but following their dogma felt to smack almost of a religion to me. They believe there is their way which is recovery and everything else and as they say if you ain't working on recovery your working on a relapse. But there is more then one way to fuck a goat(or so I er um been told) and what works for you might not work for Joe.
Man smoke your head off,I mean as long as you are not robbing,deystroying relationships, or going to jail do you! I've been a dope addict I know the evils are limitless that we can do strung out on smack and weed is not in that realm. I can smoke weed and be a functioning family man but if I was shooting dope again I'd be robbing my children's piggy banks!

Addicts tend to be all or nothing, personality types. We do better focusing on one thing. Especially since H is such a powerful addiction, I would recommend quiting everything first. After a couple of years clean, then you can decide if you want to reintroduce things such as pot or alcohol, little by little. Congrats on your decision to get off the H, I know it will be tough, but in the end, more than worth it.

I used it to keep myself from going back to oxy and cigarettes. I think it might have slowed down the healing process a bit overall but made the day to day process easier. Also, I guess you could say I'm addicted to weed as I feel like I can't go without it so I never do. Longest I go without it is 8-12 hour work day, but usually smoke heavy before and after.

I feel like I have substituted a bad habit for one that is not as bad and more sustainable- but still not good. I'm not saying smoking a few puffs at night on the weekend or here and there is terrible for your health, but I know smoking heavy amounts of anything isn't good for it. I know my current habits are much less detrimental than previously though, smoking a few grams of weed compared to smoking a pack of cigs and popping a handful of pills.

I think the anxiety associated with weed can cause cravings so be really careful if it makes you anxious. Personally I think that addiction has more to do with the "hierarchy of needs" and less to do with the drug of choice. If you were a heroin addict you will probably be a weed addict or whatever else you get your hands on until you really fix the problem. Our needs our much greater than food, water and warmth. A lot of people talk about the whole rat in a cage and choosing heroin and cocaine laced water of plain water, but not a lot of people talk about how the same study was done a "city" of rats that had a more suitable environment for their needs and those rats chose water.

Yes total abstinence from all drugs including cannabis is the way to go.

A lot of people do and have had a relapse on opiates and other drugs they were not even addicted to in the first place when they start thinking that as an addict that they can smoke herb.

In my personal life I have known many people who did relapse because they thought they could start to drink and/or smoke herb. Stay safe.

When recovering form Opiates/Opioids SMOKING CANNABIS BUDS THE MORE POTENT AND BETTER PREFERABLY INDICA OR HYDRIDS POTENT AND STRONG IN CBD'S for Example Cherry Kush, White Widow other examples of head highs stimulating is Jack Herrer, Sour Diesel Strains.... So My Favourite is White Widow 60% Indica and 40% Sativa and 20-22% lower if shitty grower. But I have smoked weed that felt lkie my legs had a buzz going from hydromorphone but they hurt from hydromorphone withdrawal nrever knew strain name just good kush But i read and confirm from personal experience Dutch Passion Blueberry Kush 80% Indica And 20% Sativa Feels Similar to Low Dose Oxycodone High when First Using With Low To Little Tolerance And Changing to Different Strains is the Key to staying at An Optimal High when Smoking EVERYDAY! Also Smoking Certain Strains effect and STIMULATE NOT RELEASE BUT STIMULATE GABA AND ENDORPHIN RELEASE Now Smoking Weed may make u happy and excited which no doubtebly when getting new strains I Like probably NATURALLY Releases Dopamine And Seretonin like when my friend followed a trail of 200$ in 20$ bills flying on the ground in a blizzard walking to my house hahaha must been like SWEET DOUBLE SWEET TRIPPLE SWEET WTF WHERES THE END OF THE RAINBOW BRO! LMFAO ROFL!

I smoked weed to help me get off the club drugs mane. you just need to smoke and smoke and smoke cause that all thats gunna get you high for a while ( 2 years for me) now I can be healthy and do drugs. But he main down fall is the people you hang around, they will continually ask you.

I chill w ppl tht are on subs and smoke, ur good. Weeds not dope, and doesn't carry the same weight in consequence orveffect that heroin does. Being clean and being sober are different things, being clean means ur not using dope, sober means complete abstinence. But how u want to live, that's up to you. Being clean is always good, ALWAYS, but sober, being sober a personal decision , and only you can decide if that's good for you. The dope is the problem, but that doesn't necessarily mean that getting high is the problem

IMO, you're fine. I've met more than 1 person who has used cannabis to help wean themselves off heroin or pharm opiates and they are quite content in their abstinence from opioids.

Keep in mind that part of the mental aspect to using cannabis in recovery is that 1. AA says it's bad 2. the federal government says it's bad. Fortunately, both of these groups are wrong, but they sure do a good job of getting under our skin and making us doubt ourselves.

Medically, cannabis can help return your body to homeostasis. Using opiates makes a lot of things out of wack and it can be uncomfortable getting back to normal.

My guess (which is supported by other recovering addicts I've met), is that without an underlying pain condition, you'll be able to decrease your use of cannabis quite a bit after initial withdraw if you so chose. But because cannabis is such a safe non-addictive substance, there's no issue with using extra if you have extra stress, pain, etc...

very helpful. thanks

Personally I think that addiction has more to do with the "hierarchy of needs" and less to do with the drug of choice. If you were a heroin addict you will probably be a weed addict or whatever else you get your hands on until you really fix the problem. Our needs our much greater than food, water and warmth. A lot of people talk about the whole rat in a cage and choosing heroin and cocaine laced water of plain water, but not a lot of people talk about how the same study was done a "city" of rats that had a more suitable environment for their needs and those rats chose water.

Agreed.
I would love to 'fix the problem'...but, what if you don't even know what the problem is? And/or the fix to said problem