• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

RC users: Why do you do it?

mezcal said:
So, in that respect, rather than get "acid" which could be any number of things and at any unknown dosage, I can take a titrated, exact dosage of DOM, DOC, DOI, DOB, et cetera. Rather than take an "e cut with 2cb" I can take exact dosage of 2CB, 2CC, 2CI, 2CE, 2CT2, 2CT7, 2CT21, 2CP, etc.

Not only that, but I can store a lifetime's supply of all of them in a safe place.

I agree. Being able to take known doses is a definite plus. Also, just because I have access to these materials now, doesn't mean I always will. All it takes is one shitty law and all of PIHKAL/TIHKAL could become scheduled. A gram of 2C-E etc. could go a looong way, decades even.

Another plus is that a person can explore and find the right substance for them. Mushrooms were my favorite substance, but its been a year since I've taken them. 2C-B, 2C-T-2, 4-AcO-DMT have almost completely replaced mushrooms for me. Whether this is a good thing in the long run remains to be seen. :\

There's also the legal factor too. This is a debatable issue and depends on the laws in an individuals country, but even in the U.S. (the most ass backwards country in the world when it comes to drug policy imo), prosecutions for unscheduled research chemicals are almost unheard of. Unless one is selling them, or large volumes are involved.

When the aim is to feed the prison industrial complex, its much easier to convict half a million non-violent pot users per year than it is to prosecute cases based on some obscure, unscheduled substance.

Jamshyd said:
After all, you can settle on one country and keep visiting it your entire life - and you'd still never fully cover it.
Many just stay at home :|

Because every one of them is unique, and when you've experienced a couple of dozen different psychedelics, you can get a much more complete view of the psychedelic state. In my opinion at least. Each one has something to offer.

And calling them all "RCs" implies they have some sort of common group of effects or toxicity or something, when in fact they should all just be called psychedelics because that's what they are. "RC" is not a class of chemicals and I believe it misleads all sorts of people into thinking they're different. Just because they're not well-studies does not necessarily mean they're inferior or a different kind of drug.

I have always liked psychedelics I suppose I fist started to use them for fun and escape. But after a while I used them for self-exploration. Each different class of chemicals opens new and different doors in myself. It is like getting keys and going to the doors of my soul and the unknown universe and unlocking different doors and seeing what treasures lie behind them, it very exciting. Some chems will unlock a closet and some chems will unlock a whole universe. I am not interested in trying tons of chems just the gems, so I try to study up and see what is worthwhile and good and see if something good comes around and see what it will open.

mezcal said:
Not only that, but I can store a lifetime's supply of all of them in a safe place. Having that around is also a big factor. I'm somewhat of a drug collector... With multiple samples of at least 50 psychoactive substances. It's like being a living museum...
Strange how many RC collectors I've run into, including some who hardly ever use them. Maybe I'm too intellectual for my own good, but I always thought of these as "chemical substances" i.e. arrangements of atoms. I guess a stamp or coin is too, but they tend to be much richer in history than some particular RC. Not to mention, lots more things you can do with them (join stamp clubs, trade/sell online, etc).

Maybe it's just I'm not into the whole history/scene... never really was with street drugs either. Are there people who collect samples of LSD, PCP, speed, mushrooms, cocaine, etc. as well? I must say it would suck to be caught/given 15 years for the conversation piece you keep on your shelf 8) =D.

Last edited:
I like being the guy who has drugs no one else has

yeah me too. ego stuff, but, yeah, very true

yeah, I think that can have something to do with it.

The feeling of being a pioneer somewhat. The human mind, the final frontier... =D

I guess a stamp or coin is too, but they tend to be much richer in history than some particular RC. Not to mention, lots more things you can do with them (join stamp clubs, trade/sell online, etc).

Yes, but try licking a stamp and then licking a "RC" and then tell me which one is "richer in history". ;)

I would rather stare at a blank wall on a "RC" than at the world's greatest stamp/coin collection sober. =D

I enjoyed being one of the first to sample and write a report for substances such as 4-AcO-DMT, pure 4-HO-DMT, 4-HO-MET, etc.

Ego things, yes, but also a valid esire to contribute to human knowledge.

And also, it's damn fun! =D

Xorkoth said:
Because every one of them is unique, and when you've experienced a couple of dozen different psychedelics, you can get a much more complete view of the psychedelic state.
As a non-fan, I'm just curious when I ask: Is there really a "psychedelic state?" Or is it really just various deviations from normal consciousness? If the latter, I find it difficult to understand what people get out of something amounting to temporary insanity. To be honest, I've always been mystified why (some) people are so attracted.

And calling them all "RCs" implies they have some sort of common group of effects or toxicity or something, when in fact they should all just be called psychedelics because that's what they are. "RC" is not a class of chemicals and I believe it misleads all sorts of people into thinking they're different. Just because they're not well-studies does not necessarily mean they're inferior or a different kind of drug.
Don't most people tend to group them together and talk about Tikhal/Pikhal, phenethylamines, the Shulgins, etc? It always struck me as a very well delineated subculture of psychedelia. Also, 'RC' is typically used as a substitute for the term 'designer drug' i.e. analogues of more established substances.

Last edited:
^^ Right, I'm just saying that the term "RC" has come to suggest to people that it's a certain type of trip, generally with some idea of toxicity and dirtiness. When in fact, if some of our current drugs had been discovered now instead of in the past, they'd be called RCs, too. MDMA, for example, and LSD.

I can't say I've often felt insane on a psychedelic. Just altered. The psychedelic state is the state that can be produced by this alteration (not that is always produced however). If you use the alteration of sensory perception and way that thoughts formulate, you can end up with some profound realizations about practically anything. It's like if you spent your whole life viewing a cube from the side such that it only ever looked like a square, but then one day you looked at it from a diagonal and saw that it actually had 6 sides and was a different sort of thing than you ever thought. The movement was not a revelatory experience - the changed view resulting from the movement was.

Since it's so much up to you what you make of a psychedelic experience, just like it is for any sort of experience, if you go into it thinking it's going to give you nothing, it probably will. The same is true for going to school, for example. If you sit there and get preoccupied with how bored you are and how stupid your teachers are and so forth, you'll get very little out of it.

Last edited:
The psychedelic state is far from temporary insanity. My first (and only to date) shroom trip, my thoughts were CRYSTAL clear. My thoughts right now seem muddled and incomprehensible compared to then. All my friends were like "Wow, you're really coherent compared to some people I've seen on shrooms". It was a hell of an experience to be sure and I look forward to trying as many different psychedelics as I can find.

MDPVagrant said:
Strange how many RC collectors I've run into, including some who hardly ever use them. Maybe I'm too intellectual for my own good, but I always thought of these as "chemical substances" i.e. arrangements of atoms. I guess a stamp or coin is too, but they tend to be much richer in history than some particular RC. Not to mention, lots more things you can do with them (join stamp clubs, trade/sell online, etc).

Maybe it's just I'm not into the whole history/scene... never really was with street drugs either. Are there people who collect samples of LSD, PCP, speed, mushrooms, cocaine, etc. as well? I must say it would suck to be caught/given 15 years for the conversation piece you keep on your shelf 8) =D.

/\ hehe, you're right there. Though I guess if the sample is small you may not have to do time. There's plenty of collectors in the "RC" scene, and the drug scene in general. I think Erowid has a page on the different types of drug geeks, and the collector is one such type. Personally I collect experiences more than I collect drugs, but there aren't very many drugs at all that I have tried that I do not also have a small sample of, just to kind, er, have it there.

Yeah, they're like stamps -and they can also have a very rich history. Think of phenazepam... show it to your friends and tell them that even one dip of the finger will send them to lala-land for days... and that the drug's got blood on its hands (Aeroflot pilot story...). Think of DOM (STP) and how many folks unknowingly took multiple doses of that back in the 60s and freaked out, wanna-be hippies in the ER all over the USA... Think of 2CB - with this one I like to tell the story of how I purchased it legally in a headshop in the Netherlands in the mid-90s... with 2CT7 and AMT and 5-Meo-DIPT you can talk about the deaths of the unwise youngsters who took it without thinking about how they combined it or how much they took... which is why said compounds are specifically scheduled in the US. AMT was once a prescribed anti-depressant in the USSR... taken iff teh market when people who dropped more than one started tripping and (presumably) asking questions about society that the government preferred them not to ask... modern-day anti-depressants do not encourage one to ask such questions... they merely mould one to fit in and not ask any questions any longer.

I could go on, but I chose some very prominent examples. I'm sure many "RC" (not a good term, but everyone knows what is meant when it is used) aficionado knows what I'm on about.

And yeah, there may be no official "drug clubs" per se, places where everyone brings their stash and people swap, but I'm pretty sure this kind of thing happens nonetheless, albeit in a clandestine fashion and certainly not on harm reduction forums such as Bluelight. Even "normal" (non-RC) drug users do that... "hey, you got nice weed there, can I have some? I'll give you some of my hash for it..." / "oh wow, that is good coke. What? You got two grams? Do you need them both for this weekend? I got some E's left over at a friend's house..." / ... From my limited observations done mainly during my university years (universities being pretty dense microcosms), this sort of happens all the time. But never was there any official student association called "The Drug Club" :|

[joke] If there was a drug club, I would join and advertise as follows: Hello, I am a drug collector and currently I'm into antiques... drugs no longer available. anyone got any spare methaqualone? Will trade some other rare drug for it. [/joke]

^If you can find it, I'd like to see that page about drug geeks :D

MDPVagrant said:
I find it difficult to understand what people get out of something amounting to temporary insanity.
Those familiar with higher states of consciousness usually consider the "normal" state something akin to permanent stupidity.
Humans aren't intelligent though the potential is there.

As bluedolphin once said, "bluelight made me do it." :)

seriously though back when i was 15 (7 years ago) i tried ecstasy and LSD for the first time and started craving knowledge of these substances. I stumbled upon erowid and later on bluelight. These two sites lead to my reading of of exotic psychedelics which realy piqued my interest. Not really knowing that i would actually ever be able to try these substances.
At 16 an older friend of mine intorduced me to 5 meo dmt (one of the exotic psychs i had been reading about). And not only did he introduce me to the drug but also taught me how to acquire such substances.
Ever since i have been trying pretty much every new substance that hits the market.
Why?
i love the psychedelic state of mind.
I like adding notches to my belt (of drugs iv tried)
Its a hobby

MDPVagrant said:
Are there people who collect samples of LSD, PCP, speed, mushrooms, cocaine, etc. as well? I must say it would suck to be caught/given 15 years for the conversation piece you keep on your shelf 8) =D.
I've got some blotters hanging on the wall.
But then I live in a country where the authorities don't give a shit about personal drug use.
As it's nobody's gddmmnd pardon my Swahili business what I do with my body I can only applaud that stance.

I applaud that stance as well. Unfortunately it is not the case around here.