Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Random Social Chit-Chat v. Illuminati Confirmed

On Netflix Instant I watched Bronson starring Tom Hardy. After watching it and rating it Netflix asked me "how often I watch Cool Moustaches?"

I can't think of many other movies that would fall in that category. I think Leo had a cool mustache in Django Unchained and I think Daniel Day Lewis had a cool one in Gangs of New York. Thought that was weird.

Ever checked on her via Facebook, women are more likely to register ?

I think I did a few years ago. Don't remember finding anything. Haven't been on Facebook in about 2 years since I gave up on a lot of things for a while

^I'm not sure if his mustache is cool or if D.D.L just rocked it, but "There Will Be Blood" comes to mind (same is true of Hardy, IMO). But yeah, mustaches aren't great, esp. sans goatee ... too popular with douchey cops.

Hell, this photo even makes me think pipes are badass.
tumblr_m0rcl1tLwp1qaac0mo1_500.png

Someone on BL suggested the movie The Pianist. I can't remember if it was here in F&T or in if it was in the lounge. Either way it was an excellent suggestion! I had wanted to see it for a while, but it wasn't until it was specifically suggested that I decided to give it a whirl and I was glad I did. Such a moving film and amazing story.

So thank you to whomever that was.

^The overwhelming consensus of television critics and millions of viewers?

(I still haven't seen it)

Going to give a mini rant:

This is a fairly popular thing for movies to say, "Humans only use 10% of their brain. So and so can access XX%, giving them extraordinary powers".

This seems to be the basic plot of Lucy with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. Both are actors I like, though I've seen a few so/so movies with Freeman (The Sum of All Fears, Along Came A Spider). I actually think Lucy looks like a 'fun' summer action movie to see, but that fucking plot point about humans only using 10% of their brain annoys me greatly. I remember seeing an article that explained where that notion came from, but if you take a psych 101 class you know that the 10% thing is bullshit. It's one of those stupid Hollywood myths that is continuously perpetuated. If we only used 10% of our brains then we wouldn't be functioning human beings. We use all of our brain. The different lobes or sections are responsible for different things throughout the body. That's a very unscientific explanation, but it makes more fucking sense than "we only use 10% of our brains", as if the majority of it was just unused space, like a hard drive with a ton of unused memory or some vestigial organ like the appendix.

----
On a less complainy note, I've only got a few films left before I would have seen the bulk of Leo's work. I've still got a few movies from early 2000's and the 90's and The Great Gatsby, but I've recently seen Revolutionary Road for the first time and I'm almost done with The Aviator. I've got The Quick and the Dead from a mail order via Netflix, so I'm almost there. I am going to give The Beach a second watch as I think I was too young the first time I saw it. Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to watch Poison Ivy(1992) or Critters 3(1991).

Indeed. I don't even know if Critters are good or bad. I think I've seen part of those Gremlins movies. That's with that adorable little Gizmo right? Are Critters like that? I think he shot a flaming marshmallow from a bow and arrow. It was so cute!

Is the amount of Leo that is in Critters 3 equivalent to the amount of effort that would have to go into watching the first 2 Critters in order to see him in Critters 3? It seems that the output is not worth the input.

Indeed. I don't even know if Critters are good or bad. I think I've seen part of those Gremlins movies. That's with that adorable little Gizmo right? Are Critters like that? I think he shot a flaming marshmallow from a bow and arrow. It was so cute!

Is the amount of Leo that is in Critters 3 equivalent to the amount of effort that would have to go into watching the first 2 Critters in order to see him in Critters 3? It seems that the output is not worth the input.

I think it would pay to not think of the Critters in absolutes - neither good nor bad. They have their functions and needs like anyone else, and the social strata that produced them is still anyone's guess. You'd be doing yourself a wondrous disservice trying to qualify them that way.

Another crucial point you likely inadvertently stumbled upon is that Critters and Gremlins were released roughly around the same time. The creators of Critters were like that one German guy who wasn't Issac Newton and came up w/ calculus first but couldn't get it published 'cos he was a practical dipshit. Thus, they had to change a lot of stuff about the Critter Universe and canon or it woulda looked like plagiarism.

Last edited:
This sounds more interesting than I had initially thought. I have a huge "to watch" list, but I shall add these as well.

From Jan. 1, 2012 until last night I've seen 470 new movies (new as in new to me). I hit 156 in 2012, 185 in 2013, and I'm up to 129 so far this year, which puts me on pace for 247 if I keep up the same watching consistency. It seems like the "to watch" list has not gone down much at all. It's kind of annoying. Though to be fair 101 of those 470 have come from 2012 and 2013, so a good percentage are just from movies that are still coming out.

The MTV is strong with me lately.

I've loved Awkward since it came out. I think the characters are awesome and the show is hilarious and *slightly* deeper than what you'd expect MTV to put out.

Then came Faking It. Two best friends who get mistake as a lesbian couple at their school and go with it. Slightly more dramatic, but just as rad.

Now, Finding Carter debuted last week with a two hour premiere. Carter was kidnapped at the age of three. At the age of sixteen, her mom, the woman she lives more than anything is revealed to be her kidnapper and she is brought back to her actual family- who she sees as total strangers.

I stick by my story, Sampson!

This sounds more interesting than I had initially thought. I have a huge "to watch" list, but I shall add these as well.

From Jan. 1, 2012 until last night I've seen 470 new movies (new as in new to me). I hit 156 in 2012, 185 in 2013, and I'm up to 129 so far this year, which puts me on pace for 247 if I keep up the same watching consistency. It seems like the "to watch" list has not gone down much at all. It's kind of annoying. Though to be fair 101 of those 470 have come from 2012 and 2013, so a good percentage are just from movies that are still coming out.

I think you have a problem Carl. My heart goes out to you.

I've loved Awkward since it came out. I think the characters are awesome and the show is hilarious and *slightly* deeper than what you'd expect MTV to put out.

I very secretly like that show too, and I can't for the life of me figure out why....