• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
gra·vy
n. pl. gra·vies
1. The juices that drip from cooking meat.
2. A sauce made by thickening and seasoning these juices.

dreamgirlie19 said:
my grandma calls it tonic. i notice a lot of older people around here say that, the younger people say soda lol

LOL my grandparents live in new hampshire and they call it tonic also

Tonic water is a good drink. It's definately an acquired taste, but after a while it begins to taste like grapefruit juice (great with gin).

Riddle me this:

Why do most college professors have nearly zero sense of style/fashion sense??

mariposa420 said:
I call all colas "Coke" and all the rest "soda." My mother's family (from upstate NY) calls it "pop."

Gravy does not pertain to spaghetti sauce in any manner. Sorry, I understand that many Italian-Americans call it that, but I call it marinara (without meat), bolognese (with meat) or spaghetti sauce (generic).

Gravy is the stuff you put on mashed potatoes and roast beef, chicken, pork or turkey. If you are putting gravy on pasta, you are probably either extremely stoned or you are doing something wrong.

Sauce is a more versatile term. For example, I'm making chicken in a creamy celery sauce with carrots and herbs tonight. If I make rice with it, I'll put the sauce over the rice. But in no manner is that gravy.

you never had noodles and gravy? its generally "country fried" type gravy (the real name escapes me right now) but i have had egg noodles with turkey gravy.

hey i just figured italians knew what they were talking about when it came to pasta.

B240C said:
you never had noodles and gravy? its generally "country fried" type gravy (the real name escapes me right now) but i have had egg noodles with turkey gravy.
she said it doesn't pertain to spaghetti sauce, but yeah, egg noodles and gravy is common, specially with meatballs (swedish meatballs) . maybe that is what "he who shall not shut up about gravy" is referring to?

edit, no, a quick googling shows tons of tomato sauces labeled as gravies. those italians are just drunk on merlot, so they don't know any better.

though if we wanna get technical, it still can be gravy. the only diff is they are adding a lot more to those meat drippings than just the usual flour and fat....tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc...

Last edited:
i have a good one. i tried figuring it out myself but if anyone can come up with a better answer ide love to know..

what makes the difference between a street, road, bulevard and avenue? my mom said rd starts as a dirt road, st is a paved road, bulevard is because of the median/bulevard lawns but no input on ave. i dont know if i entirely agree with this. i read that outside of the US roads come off major streets or avenues. what do you think?

B240C said:
what makes the difference between a street, road, bulevard and avenue?
You forgot a couple - byway, canal, channel, corridor, course, court, cove, crossing, dale, rag, drive, egress, entrance, entry, estate, exit, extension, gangway, gardens, gate, grove, heights, ingress, junction, lake, landing, lane, loop, main drag, main line, passage, pavement, park, parkway, path, place, plaza, point, promenade, ridge, roadway, route, row, stroll, terrace, thoroughfare, trace, track, trail, turf, village, walk, way.

lacey k said:
Well if it was something worth givin a fuck about shit would probably be different but i know that i and alot of other people really dont care that fuckin much about something that is so inconsequential.
It takes two to communicate - crudely speaking, that means I'm 50% responsible for our communication and you are 50% responsible. I can only speak for myself but I'm willing to do my 50% - read your posts, consider them, try to decipher what you're saying when it's not that clear - in other words, give them a fair hearing.

Your response to the responsibilities of your 50% seems to be, pretty much, "fuck you".

If you truly feel that way, why should anybody here listen to a word you say?

Hmmmm.....Because youre a greenlighter and have no idea that this is a age old subject ...by now, people know to either read or not, and thats their own choice, but i dont give a shit what someone has to say about it.

if you cant read it, fine, i dont give a shit, theres pleeeeennnty of ppl on this site that ive talked to back and forth in threads that ranged from serious to stupid-as-hell, with no problems or objections to how i talk. the ones that do got a problem learned to keep it to themself or jsut ignore what I say.

Youre asking a question that been answered many, many times over on this site so dont think you onto somethin new.

people DO listen to a word I say, the ones who dont, i dont give a shit about. people are accustomed to shit by now.

People here know by now to hate or love me, read or dont read, but it aint my problem of what outta those options you choose.

Next

lacey k said:
Hmmmm.....Because youre a greenlighter and have no idea that this is a age old subject
What does the fact that I am a Greenlighter have to do with anything? Did you notice when I joined? I have lurked here for over a year and only very recently have I felt comfortable enough to start participating.

lacey k said:
people DO listen to a word I say, the ones who dont, i dont give a shit about. people are accustomed to shit by now.

People here know by now to hate or love me, read or dont read, but it aint my problem of what outta those options you choose.
lacey k said:
That's a really crappy attitude - I'm honestly interesting in learning and understanding how people interact and you seem to just be interested in friction - why would participate in an online community if you don't intend to widen your horizons?

You didn't answer my question - if you don't give a shit, why should anybody listen to a word you say?

I don't mean this disrespectfully (i.e read it literally). I am genuinely interested in understanding the answer to this question.

JeffreyDahmer said:
I'm honestly interesting in learning and understanding how people interact
Could you please do it via PM or journal, as it would require quite a few pages where "learning and understanding" lacey k is concerned. More pages than we can afford in this thread. ;)

Welcome to Second Opinion, by the way, JD. :)

Well, the thread topic covers both random questions and "shit" I wonder about so I would say my questions could not be more relevant. I'm happy to take this up in a PM if need be.

lacey k said:
naw it aint man!

I always thought that was a southern or midwest thing. cuz i sure as hell never heard anybody call it "pop"

its Soda

I can attest that it's a midwest thing.

In Ohio, I thought nothing of calling it "pop" until I moved to Florida and had my friend offer me a "soda" and I was like WTF? 8(

Free Radical said:
In Ohio, I thought nothing of calling it "pop" until I moved to Florida and had my friend offer me a "soda" and I was like WTF? 8(
You should carry a box of Arm&Hammer with you at all times. Then, when someone offers you "soda", whip it out and say "I'm all hooked up, dawg, thanks." ;)

pennywise, I don't know, but I just had to take that opportunity to get that memberator star on my epaulette. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.