Punk Fuckin Rock

Finder said:
Bad Religion.

WTF does "too punky" mean? Oh, and there are no good new punk bands.

Bad religion is a rock band. I'm talking about punk rock. And I'm saying that I'm not into all that hardcore punk shit like the sex pistols.

I've always been partial to The Suicide Machines and The Bouncing Souls.

Breakbeat_Child said:
Bad religion is a rock band. I'm talking about punk rock. And I'm saying that I'm not into all that hardcore punk shit like the sex pistols.

Bad Religion is a punk band. Minor Threat is hardcore punk, Sex Pistols are not.

hahaha. dude is saying Bad Religion isn't punk rock yet the Sex Pistols are hardcore punk. the Sex Pistols were nothing but posers. Bad Religion may be more poppy punk these days, but they truly are a thinking man's punk band.

it sounds like you are into pop-punk.

hey B_C, i think it's ridiculous to say that bad religion isn't a punk band, but i'll make a few suggestions anyway. you might like these guys:

propaghandi
lagwagon
millencolin

Crass
Subhumans
Rudimentary Peni
Bad Religion
TSOL
Adolescents

Not much good punk bands anymore, but Leftöver Crack, Choking Victim, Morning Glory and INDK are good ska-punk bands

minor threat
dead kennedys
no innocent victim
agnostic front (more of a punk-core crossbreed)
the misfits
pennywise
the refused
stormtroopers of death (many would call them metal, tho)

and the band, to me, that is the definition of all things punk rock:

exploited.jpg

THE EXPLOITED!!!!

for all intents and purposes, GWAR could be thrown into the punk pile. They are certainly in a genere all their own, but if I was forced to describe their musical style as quickly as possible, id probably say "very punk rock."

Adolescents
The Vandals
Snuff
Lawrance Arms

Youre lucky I want to help you after you said Bad Religion isn't punk but for your sake pick up No Control.

Dead Kennedys
The Germs
Fear
GG Allin
New Bomb Turks (they're modern, you'd never hear about them in the mainstream, but not a lot of political crap, just true punk rock)
Black Flag
The Cramps
Misfits (old school w/ Danzig singing)
The Ramones
The Stooges
Minor Threat
Leftover Crack/Choking Victim/all the Crack Rocksteady bands
Operation Ivy
Crass
The Minutemen
Flipper
Bad Brains
Richard Hell
Buzzcocks
Pere Ubu
Rudimentary Peni
The Subhumans
The Clash
Agent Orange

To name a few.

To the original poster, those bands you mentioned that you're in to aren't what I'd call punk - just rock bands that pretend to be punk. And if you think the Sex Pistols are "hardcore", then you probably wouldn't like real punk rock because the Sex Pistols were real sell-out idiots (with the exception of John Rotten, cuz he's still an egotistical prick asshole and I love him for it) that just played old school, minimalist rock n roll.
Punk rock is not hot topic, or a fashion statement, or strictly political. You either do or don't get real punk rock, it can't really be explained.

And also I think Wesley Willis is punk as fuck. And hilarious. And cuddly. And, and, and... Wesley Willis.

some of my favorites

dead kennedys
101 ers
the clash
peter and the test tube babies
subhumans,( culture shock, citizen fish)
stiff little fingers
angelic upstarts
the boomtown rats
the buzzcocks
thw damned
the ruts
siouxse and the banshees
u.k subs
anti nowhere league
the stranglers

and the grand daddys of punk

the stooges, the ramones and the newyork dolls

icecreamtrepan said:
Punk rock is not hot topic, or a fashion statement, or strictly political. You either do or don't get real punk rock, it can't really be explained.

Thank fucking god you said that. If you dont know, than you never will. I deleted all my statements I was going to post because it ws getting nasty. But ill sum it up like this " Punks not dead. It just went to K-Mart" :X :X :X :X

Yeah, no problem. I used to get pissed off about that sort of thing, wait, hell, I still do.

There's a joke out there - 2 guys are walking down a street, and one asks the other, "What's punk rock?". The other guy knocks over a garbage can and says, "That's punk rock!" So they walk a little further, and the first guy knocks over a garbage can, too, and asks, "So that's punk rock?" The other guy says, "Fuck no, that's just trendy."

SST label had great Punk bands

Husker Du
Dinosaur Jr
Black Flag
Sonic Youth

Other great bands would be
The Crucifuks
The Dicks
Minor Threat

If it's on a Major Label it really isn't punk. Fashionably punk which is bullshit Warped tour crap

Kudos to GG Allin- He really was punk. Ugly, raw, confrontational

GG Allin is off the hook.

NoFX are in my opinion punk rock legends.

And theres a handful of others i like.

percy168 said:
101 ers
the clash
the boomtown rats
the buzzcocks
thw damned
the ruts
the stranglers
the ramones
newyork dolls

I know it's all a matter of taste and opinion, but it's beyond me (as someone who was very active in the 70's punk scene) how you can then go and describe any of the above as 'punk' if you've discounted The Sex Pistols.

The Sex Pistols were a manufactured band not unlike boy-bands we have today.

That was all marketing. Although it is a great album.

Where do you get that from?

I can appreciate that what was called and understood to be 'punk' by the cognescenti in 1976 may not meet criteria since established to define the genre today but I cannot understand your argument.

They were a band who formed, like thousands of other bands past and to come, through a sequence of fortuitous circumstance in which, crucial to the mix, was a svengali of the likes of Malcolm MacLaren.

There was no preconception of The Sex Pistols, though. Yes, because Cook & Jones met MacLaren they were introduced to Matlock & Rotten. But their music and 'punk' credentials were not created by MacLaren, only successfully marketed.