PsyTrance Discussion and Stuff ver. III

Status
Not open for further replies.
^The album is actually pretty good; quite a few nice aciddy parts, not too much guitar (and a lot of the guitar is processed in that "Infected" way)- too much fucking singing. Hitler was right for once ;)

Been listening to a cool dark/forest complation "Nine Worlds"- cool sorta minimal darkpsy. Also an interesting relases called "Twisted Minds From Hell"; got Mr Hades, the fastest Kanibal Holokaust song I've heard, good tracks from Rwar and Audiopathik. Oddly theres a speedcore song on it too- Mortal Kombat- quite an odd addition IMO; probably over 1000BPM for most of the song...

What the fuck? Morning is massively en vogue far far far more than any dark psy. Lots of parties play morning music all night, hardly any have anything at the dark end of the spectrum anywhere close to Psykovsky. Fair enough he might not be your cup of tea but drop some acid before a set and then tell me it's "boring" or not psychedelic....

I must have assumed too much based on the shows I have been to. In the North Eastern United States all that is in right now is dark psy and very dark sounding full on. Melodic morning trance has not been popular at shows recently, at least not so far as who is getting booked. However I hear more and more party goes saying the same as me, it is time for melodic and full on again.

As for psykovski, perhaps his concept is lost on me because I am not a dark psy fan but I honestly did not think this mixing was very good at all. In fact it was downright boring to the point that I left the mainstage. But again I may just be missing the point as some one who is not a fan. But to suggest psykovski is morning is just crazy, wtf? He is dark as hell, full on I can kind of see, but honestly the guy is just as dark as it gets.

EDIT: BTW I didn't want to come off as if I was ragging on suomi. It is a very creative and legit genre of psy, I just prefer melodic full on myself. My main beef with suomi is how poorly a lot of it is produced intentionally for that raw sound. Interesting idea but in practice it just does not work because the quality acoustics are a big part of what sets psy apart from other styles of electronic. It is no accident that our shows always have top quality sound, so why produce low quality tracks (from a sonic perspective, nothing against the composition)

Last edited:
Swillow, could not agree more. Delerious Noon is a delicious blend of dark and melodic. He is probably my favorite new artist by far.

Delerious Noon is fun but superficial like most melodic fullon but there isn't a single hint of "dark" in his music. Frankly 99 percent of all fullon is structurally dated rave music with a mere aesthetic shell of psychedelia.

But this is my personal opinion of course.

^You cant be serious. Delerious Noon is one of the highest quality acts I have heard in ages, very innovative. I am not sure how you are missing the dark influences when he was previously a very serious dark psy producer with DN being the first full on project. It is melodic but employs some very dark and mechanical sounds and samples with a definite dark vibe (the crow calls, amazing melodic vocal element, etc.)

^Delirious Noon is one of my very favorite psy artists, but I too fail to detect the slightest hint of darkness...

And it certainly does not have a "mere aesthetic shell of psychedelia", although I will admit this is true for most full-on...

But that being said, I would rather have a mere aesthetic shell than the endless skreeching abrasive darkpsy bad vibes that we were subjected to for a long time in the Midwest U.S. party scene (things are slowly improving...)

Do you people actually think Dark Psy producers are attempting to spread "bad vibes" or that their music is actually a vessel for negativity? Perhaps they just resonate to different tones, and find beauty in that which you fail to, Very little psy is in my opinion actually dark. Most artists that people label "dark" I would just call psychedelic... Dark/light, I don't care, I just want it to be psychedelic.

Am I the only person here who would watch a Mr. Peculiar morning set, or Electrypnose morning set and find it just as uplifting and psychedelic as a middle of the night 160+ bpm set from Kindzadza or Horror Place or Acid Goblins. I'm less interested in the genre box this music goes into and more interested in what expresses actual unique artistic intent and vision and what is carbon copy contentless bullshit.

I think the ratio of good to bad is the same for darkpsy as for full-on... I enjoy intelligent, subtle, emotional darkpsy. (Zolod - Deja Vu Fabrique = fav psy album ever). Believe me, I am all about embracing and integrating Darkness and the Shadow side... unfortunately, most of what I have heard at psytrance events strikes me as harsh, grating, and oppressive... I simply can't get down to it.

Of course I don't think that darkpsy producers are attempting to spread bad vibes. I'm friends with many DJ's who spin some wicked nasty tracks - all great people and I love them.

BTW I rarely trip at psyparties. If I want my mind shredded, I'll do it the old-fashioned way - high dose mushrooms in silent darkness, etc. I don't need any Kindzadza to help with that :)

But hey diversity is what keeps it interesting :)

Do you people actually think Dark Psy producers are attempting to spread "bad vibes" or that their music is actually a vessel for negativity? Perhaps they just resonate to different tones, and find beauty in that which you fail to, Very little psy is in my opinion actually dark. Most artists that people label "dark" I would just call psychedelic... Dark/light, I don't care, I just want it to be psychedelic.

this is an essay written by music producer SubConsciousMind: http://www.subconsciousmind.ch/backgrounds/psychedelic-music-and-emotions -- i think it has some interesting things to share about how to properly explore more difficult energies in psychedelic music.

I really like the idea of making sure that the "journey" of it is "complete". The idea that as a composer you're piloting a ship, and if you plan to take you're passengers to troubled waters, you can't leave them stranded. There's nothing "bad" about challenging music that explores and expresses the more turbulent Unspeakables, but the artist should have a little understanding and intention to put into the exploration & expression, and should have the vision to be as rendered as he/she can make it. In other words, "Darkness" (how i'm beginning to loathe that abstract, unhelpful word...) is not bad vibes. But "Darkness" without care and substance certainly can be.

--------------------------------

I also feel a little encouraged to share a story. I was at this small, awkward psyrave in the woods about 20 ft from highway 44 a few months back. And during the day they were spinning the most colorful psychill and psydub, happy hippies laying about everywhere blowing bubbles and painting and the like. Then, right when the sun was going down, intercepting the grounds and putting up his 5 ft. tall custom made booming bass amp was Jigsaw Rhetoric. He began by saying, "Who here has ever had a bad dream?" We all raise our hands. "You're still in it, motherfuckers." This was a purely noise experience of one "man" (though what he became certainly wasn't what he was before) doing vocal manipulation with live effects and sequence, and I cannot do justice in description of what came. Simply, it was the most profound live music experience I have ever had. This "man" goes into a complete trance, as if he were possessed, skin turning a deep red, as this massive amp was bellowing oceans, tidal waves, of if the blackest black could glow. The beauty of this absolute ugliness was overwhelming, as the "man" began strangling himself with the microphone chord, approaching persons with piercing eyes in an eternal state of becoming, rapidly spilling shattered poetry, and ultimately destroying his equipment in front of us while screaming (no longer needing the microphone) "NOTHING IS GETTING BETTER! NOTHING IS GETTING BETTER! NOTHER IS GETTING BETTER!" repeatedly.

And afterward, I felt completely connected with everyone around me. This was a shared unspeakable experience, perhaps more potent that I have ever felt at a party or festival before. I wound up walking around in the woods afterwards attempting to digest this unexpected catharsis, and finding others doing the same thing I was. And we only needed the eye contact of "Yeah, I felt that too..." There was no "negative imprint" about it. This experience of "hell incarnate" brought us all very close together -- and to experience that at a presupposed "party" was almost lifechanging.

Am I the only person here who would watch a Mr. Peculiar morning set, or Electrypnose morning set and find it just as uplifting and psychedelic as a middle of the night 160+ bpm set from Kindzadza or Horror Place or Acid Goblins. I'm less interested in the genre box this music goes into and more interested in what expresses actual unique artistic intent and vision and what is carbon copy contentless bullshit.

Absolutely not - I agree with everything you say here. I actually find "dark" psy much more uplifting as it seems more "genuine" and more trancey than morning music.

Anyone going to Psychedelic Freakshow? So far Penta and Hujaboy are confirmed. I never heard of Hujaboy but digging some of his tracks.

^ i won't make it but you should go. psytribe always rocks and that venue is incredible.

alasdair

Cool. Yeah, I'll probably go. Do you know if we have to pay for camping or is it included in the ticket price?

Delirious Noon is VERY well done psy IMO. It's got a deep melodic dimension without compromising psychedelia in the least, which seems to be rare in music.

Also thanks a lot for sharing that story, SwingBreed. :) Sounds really wild...

What do you guys think of Hujaboys album Black Belt.

Just listened to it yesterday, im pretty impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.