PsyTrance Discussion and Stuff ver. III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm listening to his most recent one, Cut the Power and its pretty good. It has a bit of an electroish feel to it.

I also feel a little encouraged to share a story. I was at this small, awkward psyrave in the woods about 20 ft from highway 44 a few months back. And during the day they were spinning the most colorful psychill and psydub, happy hippies laying about everywhere blowing bubbles and painting and the like. Then, right when the sun was going down, intercepting the grounds and putting up his 5 ft. tall custom made booming bass amp was Jigsaw Rhetoric. He began by saying, "Who here has ever had a bad dream?" We all raise our hands. "You're still in it, motherfuckers." This was a purely noise experience of one "man" (though what he became certainly wasn't what he was before) doing vocal manipulation with live effects and sequence, and I cannot do justice in description of what came. Simply, it was the most profound live music experience I have ever had. This "man" goes into a complete trance, as if he were possessed, skin turning a deep red, as this massive amp was bellowing oceans, tidal waves, of if the blackest black could glow. The beauty of this absolute ugliness was overwhelming, as the "man" began strangling himself with the microphone chord, approaching persons with piercing eyes in an eternal state of becoming, rapidly spilling shattered poetry, and ultimately destroying his equipment in front of us while screaming (no longer needing the microphone) "NOTHING IS GETTING BETTER! NOTHING IS GETTING BETTER! NOTHER IS GETTING BETTER!" repeatedly.

And afterward, I felt completely connected with everyone around me. This was a shared unspeakable experience, perhaps more potent that I have ever felt at a party or festival before. I wound up walking around in the woods afterwards attempting to digest this unexpected catharsis, and finding others doing the same thing I was. And we only needed the eye contact of "Yeah, I felt that too..." There was no "negative imprint" about it. This experience of "hell incarnate" brought us all very close together -- and to experience that at a presupposed "party" was almost lifechanging.

Are you talking about this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuJJYvMEmQ

^That is fucking intense. Nothing IS getting better.....:)

wow, I could not even get through that video. He has a certain way of making my $1000 studio monitors sound like complete screeching shit. I hope you guys did not pay money to hear that crap.

Melodic Dark I can dig, but jigsaw rhetoric is a perfect example of what baffles me, how could anyone even think that is music? Most dark just hurts my ears and kills my buzz.

Biomechanikal Twisters is such a good compilation. It's so twisted, I'm loving it. You fans of dark psy must give it a listen.

wow, I could not even get through that video. He has a certain way of making my $1000 studio monitors sound like complete screeching shit. I hope you guys did not pay money to hear that crap.

Melodic Dark I can dig, but jigsaw rhetoric is a perfect example of what baffles me, how could anyone even think that is music? Most dark just hurts my ears and kills my buzz.

that is not dark psy though. That looked like experimental music+performance art. Not too fun to look at through youtube but how could you deny that that would be a powerful/interesting experience in a live environment. Truly psychedelic music isn't "easy" to listen to IMO.

Yeah I can agree with that. Certainly not my cup of tea but I can see how some might enjoy it when you view it as performance art.

Who's going boom next year in portugal?
oh and anyone checked out the philosomatika radio site?

Do you people actually think Dark Psy producers are attempting to spread "bad vibes" or that their music is actually a vessel for negativity? Perhaps they just resonate to different tones, and find beauty in that which you fail to, Very little psy is in my opinion actually dark. Most artists that people label "dark" I would just call psychedelic... Dark/light, I don't care, I just want it to be psychedelic.

Am I the only person here who would watch a Mr. Peculiar morning set, or Electrypnose morning set and find it just as uplifting and psychedelic as a middle of the night 160+ bpm set from Kindzadza or Horror Place or Acid Goblins. I'm less interested in the genre box this music goes into and more interested in what expresses actual unique artistic intent and vision and what is carbon copy contentless bullshit.

I've been under the impression that 'dark' psy was simply high bpm psy that is best played at 'dark' rather than say, 3 in the afternoon (been to a weekender recently where this happened, it wasn't the same). It's not necessarily 'dark' as in bad. The more confrontational to the psyche stuff seems more like yin/yang duality.

Anyway, yeah, gimme some Kindzadza, Horror Place, Acid Goblins ... any day(night, lol)

+Recently I had one of the happiest, most joyful experiences I've had in a loooong time dancing to a set from cinderVOMIT. Man, that was pure although labeled 'dark'.

... and no, you're not the only person :) I def look forward to some full on or morning spun in capable hands. The entire realm of 'psy' is one of my favorite drugs.

Dark = thematic style of the music rather than the time that it is played.

speaking of Kindzadza, my girlfirend has just introduced a headphone rule in the house when i want to listen to waves from innerspace....Im currently wearing my headphones

I've been under the impression that 'dark' psy was simply high bpm psy that is best played at 'dark' rather than say, 3 in the afternoon (been to a weekender recently where this happened, it wasn't the same). It's not necessarily 'dark' as in bad. The more confrontational to the psyche stuff seems more like yin/yang duality.

Anyway, yeah, gimme some Kindzadza, Horror Place, Acid Goblins ... any day(night, lol)

+Recently I had one of the happiest, most joyful experiences I've had in a loooong time dancing to a set from cinderVOMIT. Man, that was pure although labeled 'dark'.

Agreed. Its unfortunate that the word used is "dark". Perhaps a better way to term the subgenre is "night-time psy". But I think that is misleading too because, personally, I love a Highcosmos sunrise set and Kindzadza playing in the sunshine at Psycrowdelica last summer was one of the best sets I've ever seen. Darkpsy is for all times of the day just as psychedelia is interesting and suitable for different times of day and night, dark and light, etc.

Agreed. Its unfortunate that the word used is "dark". Perhaps a better way to term the subgenre is "night-time psy". But I think that is misleading too because, personally, I love a Highcosmos sunrise set and Kindzadza playing in the sunshine at Psycrowdelica last summer was one of the best sets I've ever seen. Darkpsy is for all times of the day just as psychedelia is interesting and suitable for different times of day and night, dark and light, etc.

That sounds really cool. I guess this past weekend it was a multitude of elements working as well. Blazing sunlight, really hot, the dance area was right next to a main road. The music was the same, just not the general vibe it seemed. Usually I'm in the dirt going crazy, kicking up dust or attempting to punch holes in the crete in a warehouse or something but it just didn't grab like that in those elements.

... and yeah, I can see the thematic aspect but it's not always 'dark'.

... and no, you're not the only person :) I def look forward to some full on or morning spun in capable hands. The entire realm of 'psy' is one of my favorite drugs.

cinderVOMIT eh? SE psytrancer perchance?

SW or S central? It's in the middle :) I do hope some more of the SE show up here though. ... or I get more time to travel.

Ah i just figured you were a NC or GA trancer.

Anyone heard Enichkin's new album, so much better than his first, very uplifting psychedelic/melodic and high bpm too.

Enichkin - A Particle of Infinity

Definitely not my style, I don't care for the halloween jumbled sounding dark but I will give credit where it is due. The production is very good and the arrangement is above average for that sub genre. I can see where dark fans would really get into that album. However I do not see anything melodic or uplifting about it. Good pick for the dark fans none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.