• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilocybin and trip anxiety

Are mushroom trips more prone to anxiety than other psychedelics?

• YES, they do

Votes: 174 61.7%
  • NO, they do not

Votes: 108 38.3%

• Total voters
I didn't vote because I'm not expirienced with many psychodelics, but it's the only one I had sth like bad trip on

Had a panic attack a couple of weeks back on mushrooms.
It was truly terrifying, thought I was having a heart attack 8)
The pain in my chest was crucifying and at several points my vision faded to black where I was met with the most intense fear I have ever felt.

Mushrooms tend to be more psychologically unpredictable IME...

Yep

and much more agressive in their ego-shredding techinique than other psychedelics.
With other psychs, likeLSD, DMT or Psilacetin the ego death comes on much smoother with outh the fear and anxiety i tend to get on a similar strength mushroom trip.

YMMV though, as ive met people who are completely comfortable with mushrooms but acid gives them the fear:\

A long-time lurker reaction:

For me personally, as it seems to be for most people, the comeup is where the anxiety happens.
The real problem here is that a common reaction is to fight the drug, resulting in a much lower than optimal "plateau" level.
Achieving a large-dose LSD-type of experience seemed pretty much impossible.

However, me and my girlfriend experimented extensively with mushrooms and came up with the following technique (your mileage can and will vary, as does ours):

1. Don't eat them, make tea.
Both to prevent stomach problems and to increase comeup speed.
No boiling, just let the ground mushies sit in hot water for a 20 minutes or so, like any normal herbal tea.
Then filter, and don't forget to squeeze the filter for those last precious drops.

2. Don't go overboard dose-wise, just take enough to get to a reasonably (wtf does that mean?=D) psychedelic level.

3. As soon as the trip has more or less fully unfolded aka a plateau is reached, a second dose is taken.
I cannot emphasize enough that time is of the essence here.
Wait too long and the second dose just extends the experience without intensifying the effects.
We found that a second dose one hour after the first dose usually did the magic trick.
Do not wait any longer, and empty the cup right away.

In the first stage (minor)anxiety/fear is dealt with, and the effects of the second dose can be embraced without difficulty resulting in a GREATLY enhanced AND extended experience, without the slightest trace of comeup-related unpleasantness.

Further comments, tips and caveats:

We exclusively used wild mushrooms (several batches of varying potency) and have absolutely no idea how those compare to the cultivated strains.
Furthermore, psychedelic experiences always depend on several uncontrollable factors so this or any technique won't always work.
As stated before, YMWV and as of yet we haven't been able to verify the validity of this technique, but for us it worked pretty much ***almost*** every time.

YOU WILL FORGET ABOUT THE PLAN UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE. =D
Therefore it's a very good idea to use an alarm clock.
I use a digital kitchen timer.

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. Pour the not-too-hot tea. Drink. :)

It's also necessary to prepare the second dose in advance, possibly leaving room for dosage adjustment, i.e. two or more separate pots of tea.
You may be able to judge how much of the pot you want to drink, but chances are good that you'll be beyond that.
Separate pots make those type of decisions a lot easier.
I suppose it's possible to refrigerate or even freeze any remainders.

It is very well possible to make the second dose larger than the first.
If prolonging the experience is desirable a third dose may be taken later on, but don't wait too long or it will mainly interfere with sleep and not much else.
As with most psychedelic drugs it's prudent to take them on an empty stomach, for several obvious and not-so-obvious reasons.

Both me and my GF wholeheartedly agree that in spite of several previous large-dose experiences we had absolutely no idea what a really fullblown mushroom experience could be like, before applying this technique.

FYI with the batches we considered 'pretty potent' whatever that may mean, we used 2 grams per person for the first dose, and anything from 2 to 5 grams per person for the second dose.
That optional big number second dose may seem excessive, but in this manner we could actually use high doses effectively.

We found that cannabis use (both regular and/or during psychedelic experiences) dull the experience quite a bit. We do not recommend it.

For the rocket scientists (you know who you are =D) : A third stage is unnecessary.
The second dose can be adjusted to achieve any intensity desired.

Finetuning *may* require a bit of experimentation.

Once more: YMWV.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think that this one hits it in the nail.
I always had the feeling that after the come up I could handle a strong trip.
I will try that next time.

Im glad I came across this thread. I dosed some shrooms last night, and just like many of you say as I was coming up I got extremely nervous as to weather I could maintain positive thoughts and have a good trip.

Although before this, I had never had this problem on shrooms. And infact, I found LSD was more intense then shrooms, but I guess after getting to know what mushrooms are really like after a few trips and laerning it's now the opposite way around.

Now I think twice about dosing mushrooms :(:|

Shrooms always make me way more nihilistic and depressed about the pointlessness of existence than any other psychedelic.

There's a physical aspect to the anxiety as well, I'm never physically comfortable on shrooms.

Highdosage of mushrooms has me taught the secret of eternity, the key of myself, the beauty of poetry, the power of the music and emotion, the power of the mind and the limits of the imagination (creating our own universe with its modeled boundaries), the path of the freedom, the meaning of life, love, friendship and hope, the self acceptance, the constant seeking of balance, the conscience of the universe, the notion of time and space, the meaning of life, the limitation of communication and words, ...
Now talking about trip anxiety and way to handle it?!
-Simple: you take take a large amount of mushrooms (I took 7g dry), you reduce it to dust (i'm using a simple mixer), add lemon, honey and your best "soft" beverage (i'm using tao serenity). That's it!
You drink, you wait 20' with your best music, landscape, a guardian angel (your survival instinct) and you will have one of the most profound experiences of your life.
The extraction of the miraculous molecule will be entirely processed and adsorbed in the most sophisticated chemical factory in the universe: your living body! SSSSShampagne!!!
Copious amount of B vitamins (particularly the NADH form), piracetam, centrophenoxine, magnesium, taurine, ginseng extract (rg3, rb1, rg1), vinpocetine, theanine, rhodiola, magnolia, schisandra and sam-e will help to keep the logic and to concentrate on the positive edge of the journey between life, death, madness and reason.
Oh yeah, talking about bad trip and anxiety?! Just and old tale completely shifted and overpowered by the magnitude of the mental state. And I did have nausea and anxiety with "normal" shroom dosage in past...

Your survival instinct might be put to a severe test but it will make you stronger because you will accept the pain and the hope inherent to life.

Probably less dangerous and much more interesting than alcohol, football and cars if you ask me.
And no hangover Sir, the afterglow being the icing on the cake :)

Last edited: