POST YOUR RECORDINGS HERE! (not just for amateurs - also for labels/websites!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words, Dexter! :)

I play the drums in this group, which also includes two guitars and bass. We do not to think of ourselves as a two guitar band as we try to steer clear of the rhythm/lead guitar wank fest and instead focus on the sound as a whole in addition to strong songwriting. Lately we've been trying to incorporate four-part harmonies, which is proving to be difficult, but we've come a long way and it is beginning to shape up. Luckily, we are able to play in my apartment, which is great. I live in a two-flat and our landlords live above us, who are consistently out of town. We're only able to practice Saturdays (due to all of our hectic schedules), and they never around, however, when they are, they've become big fans. Heh. :D

Yes, I am quoting myself as this was posted almost at the end of the last page. :p

Originally posted by Finder
Alright, without further adieu I finally got around to swapping the old mp3s on my band's for new ones.

These are all rehearsal recordings captured in my apartment via a Shure KSM-44 Condensor microphone and SM58s for the vocals onto a minidisc 4-track and then dumped into my PC through Soundforge. The levels (read loosely; ie, the ratio between vocals and instruments) may be kind of hosed due to my sheer incompetance at this first try as well as our still getting a feel for the new mic. They did turn out pretty well overall, despite any lyric flubs, a few missed changes, and overall choppiness.

Feel free to have a listen and leave praise/hatemail/criticism/cookies/drugs at your leisure.

Last edited:
Finder said:
Axl, not bad, man. You kind of have this hi-fi Dead Kennedys thing going on. I love a good punk show, and I imagine you guys would deliver. From one drummer to another, I would work on smoothing out your grooves so they don't sound as choppy as well as your transitions from groove to fill and back. You do have that high energy feel that fits well with the band, however. I'm sure there's more, but I listened last night and can't remember what else I wanted to say.

yeah all the damn bands I get in people say sound like Dead Kennedy's. I guess a good punk band to sound alike though. :) yeah, like most punk rock, our music is truly meant to see live. we play almost every week and have a busy monthly schedule (god bless the music mecca that is Columbus, Ohio). I think every drummer could work on the flow of their grooves, so this critique isn't that fatal.

now your band. you guys sound great, "heaven" sounded like a great song. it really is not my kind of music but I liked your beats. good work on the hi-hats.

I think between Dex, Finder, and myself Bluelight could have a pretty rockin music festival. hahaha, how awesome would that be? 8)

Originally posted by AxL BLaZe
yeah all the damn bands I get in people say sound like Dead Kennedy's. I guess a good punk band to sound alike though. :) yeah, like most punk rock, our music is truly meant to see live. we play almost every week and have a busy monthly schedule (god bless the music mecca that is Columbus, Ohio).

I don't think every punk band sounds the same. In fact, I haven't heard a new punk band in years that I would feel good enough about to say they have a similar sound to Dead Kennedy's. Personally, I'm a Bad Religion whore.

I think every drummer could work on the flow of their grooves, so this critique isn't that fatal.

Isn't that the truth. I'm perpetually working on this sort of thing myself. 8:)D

now your band. you guys sound great, "heaven" sounded like a great song. it really is not my kind of music but I liked your beats. good work on the hi-hats.

I think between Dex, Finder, and myself Bluelight could have a pretty rockin music festival. hahaha, how awesome would that be? 8)

Thanks for the compliment even if it's not your type of music. I know it's hard to get your head around something that isn't up your alley and see it for what it is. Heh, I should take my own advice sometimes.

A Bluelight music festival would be pretty fuckin' awesome. We could have a live stage and then some sort of techno room for all the turds that listen to that sort of thing. ;)

^^
OMG will you guys sign my Strat?? =D

Oh yeah, I realize I've been slackin' on the recordings lately.

Some day I'll have a nice jam goin' and run a mic through Adobe Audition and redefine the term "amateur recording". :)

Last edited:
^Both guitarists in my band are Fender whores--amps and Strats (although one has a solid body PRS he doesn't really use much these days). Having two strats helps them blend together so it doesn't sound like there are two different guitarists in the group. Actually, now that I think about it, the bass player has a Fender 5-string P-bass.

^I am all about Fenders through Marshall amps. rockin fuggin roll! there's nothing like a tele *I love the tele's sound* through a JCM.

the best bassist I have ever worked with used a Fender Jazz bass signature edition (forget who). I loooooved the sound it made.

drums: what are your preferred brands, Finder? for cymbals I am a devout Sabian follower, Vic Firth sticks *doesnt really matter though* and for the kit I prefer MAPEX, TAMA, PEARL. I am lenient though.

I have a Iron Cobra Double Bass pedal... it is the epitome of punk rock.

For my kit I have a five piece Yamaha Stage Custom (20" bass, 8", 10" racks, 14" floor), an Anton Fig Signature Series Wood Hoop Snare (my baby). I've done a fair amount of recording with this kit and it sounds great, so I haven't felt the need to go full-on professional level kit-wise...yet. I'm a Zildjian man for cymbals and generally can't stand Sabian (sorry).

I have a ton of cymbals, but my current set up is a 22" A Ping Ride, 16" A Medium Crash, 17" K Dark Crash, 14" Quickbeat hats, and a 18" Impulse (it is, oddly enough, a metal crash from the 80s that I couldn't use as a crash, obviously, so I drilled holes around the perimeter and fitted rivets into the holes...now it's a sweet sizzle ride). In my stash I have a 17" UFIP Natural Crash, 19" UFIP Natural China, and a 10" Zildjian A Splash.

For various toys, I have an LP Salsa Cowbell under my hats, a set of dried goat nails sewn on some cloth hanging around my hats for a nice added effect to the hihat "chick" (these can be taken off for a rustling effect), an egg shaker, and a couple dried out gourds (one with a beaded net woven around it, the other filled with gravel).

For sticks I primarily use Vic Firth 5As. In my stick bag the following can be found: Vater Whips, Pro Mark Brushes (I forget what model...they have yellow butts on them), Vic Firth Cotton Tympani Mallets (standard model, I believe), and I forget the brand, but some hand-woven string mallets as well.

Oh, and for hardware most of it is Yamaha except for one Gibraltar stand. My bass pedal is a single DW (I don't believe in double bass).

I got a fender. I want to eventually switch to a gretch streamliner or something similar, as when you get better, some of the higher end guitars are built in a way where you can play more intricately on them. Though i will always love fender strats, mostly because i'm just so used to the feel, and love 5way tone selection.

As far as amps go. Mesa Boogie and Vox own.

Finder said:
I'm a Zildjian man for cymbals and generally can't stand Sabian (sorry).

For sticks I primarily use Vic Firth 5As.

Oh, and for hardware most of it is Yamaha except for one Gibraltar stand. My bass pedal is a single DW (I don't believe in double bass).

LOL we are pretty different in the drumming spectrum, and our gear pretty much exemplifies this. I do, however use V Firth 5As as well. good sticks.

I love Sabain and just can't stand Zildjian. to each their own, I suppose.

I used to have that same mentality on double bass (instead of using double bass in songs I would just play single bass rapid fire) but I started to heavily follow music like Slayer/Pantera at a young age to replicate those beats a double bass is simply a necessity.

Dex that song is off the hook. solid beat and it has the trippy aspect most of your songs have.

I think your songs are perfect to listen to when fuxx0red up - to risk sounding incredibly lame.

AxL BLaZe said:

Sounds just like how guitarists prefer Fender or Gibsons.

Axl, thanks for the response. I can do such better quality and completely different shit if i could just get some better gear and software. Whenever i play with a live drummer, the music obviously sounds so much better than the fakeold keyboard monotonous beats...although with some creativity you can make some kick ass beats with a synthesizer. I'm using bottom of the line everything. Songs like the one above are more or less just me practicing laying out structures and ideas. You need to practice recording just as much as you practice playing your instrument(s). Same thing with singing. I think most all people are capable of creating an appealing form of vocals, that's their own natural style, that everyone would like. You just have to practice, be yourself, and be original.

Music is one of my main things i live for. One of the top 3, easily. You never know what you can expect next. You can't expect. There's always something new, and out there.....comming from yourself!

I love it.

I'm going to work on some punk tracks and post 'em.

Last edited:
yeah I can pretty much see music is a big part of everybody who's posting on this thread. rock and roll has definetely stole my soul.

on another note here is a recording I found laying around of my old Columbus punk band The Ken Starr Report (http://www.thekenstarrreport.com . we were getting pretty big in the Columbus scene cuz we played around for seriously like 4 years, any band who does that many shows usually gets at least a small following. the funny thing was we were all like high schoolers at the time (when we started everyone in the group was like 15). we pretty much imploded when our guitarist (my twin brother) and my bassist (my second cousin) went to Berklee School of Music in Boston, Mass. they both are pretty awesomely talented on the guitar and bass, especially the guitarist.

well enough blabbering here is a recording about cocaine that was writting when we were pretty much 16. this was like my second year on drums, and you can totally see how well I have progressed from this track.

KING'S HABIT BLUES = http://www.thekenstarrreport.com/KingsHabitBlues.mp3

Originally posted by AxL BLaZe
LOL we are pretty different in the drumming spectrum, and our gear pretty much exemplifies this. I do, however use V Firth 5As as well. good sticks.

I used to have that same mentality on double bass (instead of using double bass in songs I would just play single bass rapid fire) but I started to heavily follow music like Slayer/Pantera at a young age to replicate those beats a double bass is simply a necessity.

These are all examples of what makes music great. And, of course, we both know that drummers are just better than regular people. ;)

Drumming is crazy. It's like having 4 or more seperate brains hitting the different pads/symbols, but simultaneously connected to your mainframe center brain so everything is in sync.

^hahaha Dex that is a perfect description of drumming.

Finder, but of course, we know us drummers are in a league of their own!

Go form a circle and beat on each others heads.
;)

Real musicians are not limitted to one instrument! ;) ;)

Ahhh, cool then! You can become a one man band then! Just fix the trumpet to yer neck like Neil Young does with the harmonica, and lay the bass across yer lap and turn it up so you can just press the frets, keeping yer other hand free to drum def leopard style...

I record everything. I play guitar, bass, piano/keyboard, beginner at drums/percussion, harmonica, learning alot about sampling. blha blah blha.

Status
Not open for further replies.