• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

Okay, I gotta toot my own horn for a second.... I just got picked to do a halloween themed wedding October 31st! It's a night wedding, and it sounds like the people are dressing up in costumes too. I am friggin pumped! Now, I am tempted to buy a whole lighting rig with stands, a couple more wireless triggers (either radio poppers or pocket wizards(!), etc) and possibly another SB600 or SB800 flash gun. I can use the camera's onboard flash to fire the 800 commander to fire the 600 in slave mode eliminating the need for wireless transmitters... hmmm...

Damn I am excited. No new gear to add, just wanted to share. :)

I just got a Smena Symbol. It's pretty much the most exciting camera I've ever owned. Until I get used to figuring out how far my subject is from me, every time I get a roll developed is like opening presents :)

My main digital camera is a Nikon D200. Love it.

But I'm more of an analog girl in a digital world if you will. A few Lomos and Holgas, and MOST OF ALL, Polaroids! I've shot 1000s of those crap quality Polaroids over the years. The lack of detail and the inability to duplicate them while retaining some semblance of authenticity makes them so appealing in an age in which everything is just data to be eternally duplicated.

But, whatever, here's my true love. My main camera for a long long long time. It's an FE2, circa 73.

nikonFE2.jpg

Hopefully this will post, I haven't posted a pic in a while, so apologies if it goes awry.

BA said:
Okay, I gotta toot my own horn for a second.... I just got picked to do a halloween themed wedding October 31st! It's a night wedding, and it sounds like the people are dressing up in costumes too. I am friggin pumped! Now, I am tempted to buy a whole lighting rig with stands, a couple more wireless triggers (either radio poppers or pocket wizards(!), etc) and possibly another SB600 or SB800 flash gun. I can use the camera's onboard flash to fire the 800 commander to fire the 600 in slave mode eliminating the need for wireless transmitters... hmmm...

Damn I am excited. No new gear to add, just wanted to share. :)

Remote flashes are the bomb. I bought a couple 580EX's, a wireless transmitter, stands, umbrellas and soft boxes few months back. It makes such a difference and makes photography much more interesting, you'll love it.

Alright, so call me crazy, I'm in the market for another camera again. =D

This time I'm going to sell my Nikon D40 with extra battery and two 2GB cards and 18-55mm kit lens (PM me if interested) and get the.......... drum roll .............. Panasonic LX3. I realized that the D40 just collects dust after getting the D300 and I'd rather have something I can get good use out of. The Panasonic is seriously the most advanced compact camera available, and it mops the floor with the Canon G10 in almost every aspect except focal ranges, but I can live with that. Plus, the LX3 is about a hundred bucks cheaper than the Canon.

So ebay... craigslist... here I come. Time to get rid of the D40.

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55 mm Standard kit lens
Sigma 55-200 mm 1:4-5.6

Have got a wide angle lens and a fish eye convertor coming from santa though :)

The Money Making setup:
Canon 40D
17-85mm f/4-5.6
85mm f/1.8
70-300mm f/4-5.6
10-20mm f/4-5.6
Nikon SB-800

The 'art' setup:
Bronica SQ-Ai
2x 120 backs
85mm f/2.8

The travelling setup:
Canonet GIII QL 17 Rangefinder.

I picked up this big bastard today.

2q369w0.jpg

I can't resist a good sale. :)

Nikon 70-300 VR. Feel free to clown my shitty Sunpak tripod.

I dont know if any of you give a crap - but Nikon just raised the prices on a lot of their lenses today between 10-15%. A guy at the local camera shop told me last week this was going to happen and I didn't believe him, then today I see on Flickr a bunch of people are up in arms over it.:\

canon eos 400d
ef-s 18-55mm
ef-s 55-250mm
133x pro 4gb cf card
hama tripod
1960's leather camera bag (retro ftw!)
i also have two 1960's slr cameras- a practika and a zenit-b with about 5 various lenses

i hope to get a new camera bag and a flash gun

folks - i'm between contracts right now, but as soon as i'm working again i'm gonna get myself a nice DSLR. i reckon my choices are between:

Canon EOS 400D c/w 18-55mm lens - £385 with £45 cashback:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digit...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1602J992Z1VA1K7FYPXS

41KzHR53aKL._AA280_.jpg

or the Nikon D40X c/w 18-55 lens (£483):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D+PFM-l7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

41D%2BPFM-l7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or the new Nikon D60 c/w 18-55mm lens (available to preorder now, £423):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=175368791&pf_rd_i=403542011

41DtZnUHzVL._AA280_.jpg

i would really appreciate you guys' opinions on these, please! :)

i'm not really bothered about saving £50 here or there, i just want to get the best one without spending hundreds unnecessarily, you know?

thanks!
felix

i've got the canon and it's a really easy to use dslr when you read the booklet. i haven't used the nikons but i'm guessing its like choosing between citoren and a renault. good luck in which ever you buy

^ dude, that was 6 months ago! :D

i went for the Canon 450D. %)

i also just received today the Canon 75-300 EF-S lens. i was recommended to spend a bit more money (read: about 3 times as much :|) to get the higher end 70-200 but i really needed it this week and i'm sure it'll be good enough for my purposes for now. :)

p.s. welcome to bluelight!

for anyone who is knowledgeable, a couple questions about camera accessories. i am wondering about hoods and filters, in particular. i would definitely like to get a polarizer since this seems to help with glare for certain shots. but what about hoods or clear filters for light management and lense protection -- are either/both of these worthwhile purchases for an amateur DSLRer?

^ Definately get a clear or UV filter to protect your lenses. Better for the filter to break instead of the lens if you drop it, and they're good for keeping dust/moisture out of your lens as well. Polarizing filters are worth it too - good for reducing highlights and also allow an extra dimension of creativity.

As for my gear:
Canon 50D
EF-S 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS
EF 50mm 1.4
EF 100mm Macro USM (ordered, just waiting for it to arrive)
Canon G9 as a backup, great camera but pretty much entirely neglected now, poor thing.

Saving for the EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. Camera stuff is so much more addictive and expensive than drugs!

Recently one of these
Kardan_m.jpg
with one of these
560770.jpg
except is a leaf, not hassy.

Don't get jealous, they belong to my school.