• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

BA - I just have the kit lens. Mostly take snapshot photos indoors, parties, clubs etc. and the occasional artsy macro type shot.

^
Something like a Pentax K200 would probably be good if you NEED image stabilization. I'm pretty sure all their SLR bodies come with it built into the body standard. I think some Canon Rebels *may* have it too. Most manufacturers offer image stabilization in the lens, not the body, Pentax being the exception.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542044-REG/Pentax_19541_K200D_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Thanks. I think I want to go with a Nikon. Which one do you think is better out of:

Nikon D5000
Nikon D60
Nikon D40

Do you think it's better to get an additional flash, or just go with the Nikon D40 that comes with one. Also, is there a specific flash you would recommend?

Also, what really is the differnet between having so many megapixels? Like if I were just wanting to take really good and awesome photos, is 12.3 mega pixels really better then 6.1? Just wondering what the difference really is except that the picture is HUGE on the computer :D

I hope this is the right thread to be asking my questions. If it is not, please direct me in the correct direction. Thank youuuuu <3

Thanks. I think I want to go with a Nikon. Which one do you think is better out of:

Nikon D5000
Nikon D60
Nikon D40

Do you think it's better to get an additional flash, or just go with the Nikon D40 that comes with one. Also, is there a specific flash you would recommend?

Also, what really is the differnet between having so many megapixels? Like if I were just wanting to take really good and awesome photos, is 12.3 mega pixels really better then 6.1? Just wondering what the difference really is except that the picture is HUGE on the computer :D

I hope this is the right thread to be asking my questions. If it is not, please direct me in the correct direction. Thank youuuuu <3

Nikon? You are a wise girl. ;)

The D40 is by far the best value of the three. I see them on craigslist all the time for $200 - $250. I had one, and loved it, so I am very familiar with it. The D60 is just a fancier D40 with a couple meaningless features and the D5000 is still new and not widely reviewed. Plus with the D40, it will use ANY old f-mount nikon lens. I used to shoot with lenses from the early 70's on my D40 because they're so cheap ($25 - $90) on ebay as long as you don't mind manual focusing the oldies. My best deal was a 135mm f2.8 for $27. The modern equivalent would cost probably $1700.

Check the D40 here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Flash: it all depends on what you want to do with it. Will you ever (or want to) use your flash OFF camera? Or will you only use it in the hot shoe? If you will only use in ON camera the SB-400 is a brilliant flash that allows you to bounce flash from the ceiling. You can adjust the power output on it from 1/32 to 1/1 giving you lots of strength.

If you plan to use it off camera the SB-600 is the way to go. (I upgraded from the SB-400 to the SB-600 for this purpose) You can use it off camera by using a little $35 gizmo called "V2 cactus trigger". It's a 2-piece remote that you mount in your hot shoe and the other end attached to the end of the SB-600 that communicates wirelessly. The range is good, but you have to set your flash output manually. :\ But for $35 its a great investment and will open up a world of opportunities. IIRC the D40 is the only camera to sync flash wirelessly at 1/5000 of a second.

Don't get caught up in the megapixel frenzy. 6 megapixels is PLENTY of resolution. When you start adding more mpxs you will begin to see more noise (grain) with some models. I've blown up 11x14 shots with the D40 and they are fantastic clear.

If you have any more questions, or something specific you need to know, dont be afraid to ask or shoot me a PM. :)

regarding the issues with my canon a couple pages ago:

discovering where the white balance was helped a lot lol. also, with the barrel distortion, until i acquire a tripod again i really won't be able to tackle this issue.

Woo!

So last night I went and bought a Nikon D40 D-SLR. It is really really nice. Thanks BA for your advice :)

I bought it from Best Buy, and I just happen to look at their flyer before going to get the camera, and it turns out, the Nikon D40 had a really awesome package to go along with it! So instead of paying $549.99, I ended up paying only $615.00 (with tax and everything) for the following:

Nikon D40 D-SLR w/ 18-55mm Nikkor Zoom Lens
Extra Li-Ion Battery
62" Tripod
Rezo D-SLR Carrying Bag
Sunpak - PlatinumPlus 52mm UV Lens Filter
SanDisk - Ultra 4GB Secure Digital High Capacity Memory Card

So all in all I think I lucked out pretty well. I was messing around with it last night for about 3 hours. Man, I feel like I did back in highscool, you spend an entire day learning about something, then the next day comes, and you only remember some stuff about it!

The camera has a lot, I mean A LOT of different features, and just starting out I guess I am a little confused. Like appature and shutter speeds, they just look like forgein numbers to me. :\ But I really am looking foward to taking my time and learning everything there is to know about this camera.

If anyone has any helpful information, I would definitly not mind at all :)

Great, sounds good. Really take the time to read over that Ken Rockwell link I posted above. He is very good at explaining things for beginners, in an easy to comprehend tone. I don't necessarily agree with his "saturate every picture in vivid mode to the max" mentality, but he covers the basics good.

Ken Rockwell's user guide: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

Also, be sure and check out the D40 wiki: http://d40xd60.wikidot.com/

And the D40 FAQ: http://www.flickr.com/groups/d40slr/discuss/72157604109651134/

Outside of that, if you have any specific questions about modes, settings, lens compatibilities or stuff like that, drop me a PM. Good luck!

Nice one BA <3

purepremium, does this mean you'll be entering photos in our weekly photo contests now?? ;) :)

definitily will attempt too. I don't know if i am artistically ready for that yet. but will try for the next round :)

n1592100005_30010676_2794.jpg

big white lens: Canon f/2.8 70-200mm
smaller lens: Sigma f/2.8 - 4.5 17-70mm
very small lens: Canon f/1.8 50mm
Canon 30d
Speedlite 430 EX

Soon to come: a full frame body - can't decide yet what I want, depends on how much I wanna spend
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
A better all around lens
Another speedlite

Alright, DLSR owners, I just have to share this new strap I got.

The Black Rapid strap: http://blackrapid.com/

I got the very first generation strap (without cell phone pouch) and it is just phenomenal. It makes carrying a body+lens combo SO much easier than the stock "around the neck" strap. I read a bunch of reviews on it, and I have to agree, it's the best strap I've ever used. Check out the videos of how it's used on the site.

34zdn4k.jpg

I also just got this bag today, Lowepro Flipside 300. I like that it loads from the back, for added security nobody can unzip it from behind me. So far so good, I've only used it a couple hours today but I like it. I'm leaving for Washington tomorrow morning and will give it a good test out. I really like that it has a tripod strap on the back of the bag, with a pull-out tripod leg "hammock" for tripod carrying.

16mn0o.jpg

Front

308a69h.jpg

Back

2agkykz.jpg

Shown with D300 + 18-200VR on camera, SB600 flash, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 35 f2, battery charger, and lens hoods.
Extra junk like wireless triggers, wireless shutter remote, and filters in the zip up pouch.

10gh5dy.jpg

ordered the sb-900 this weekend while tripping, fuggit :D

now to figure out a lens... and probably stall on that for a year.

also, i need a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. do you guys know any vendors?

SB-900!! =D

Crumpler bags are very cool and non-baggish.

A little off topic:

This is a question for all you camera buffs. What do you think about the "Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera".

512YXSJWB5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Is it a decent camera? I'm not a professional photographer but I would like it to take decent pictures.

And if not that camera, what would you recommend for a beginner?

nice stuff there BA. the strap looks quite intriguing, i might look into those a bit more.

i got myself a Lowepro Rezo 160 AW case recently.

18-2007-IMG5.jpeg

i love the quality of it, and all the handy little pouches n zippers, and the fact that my body & zoom lens fit *perfectly*, but i am really perplexed by the design of the top lid.

18-2007-IMG2.jpeg

it opens the opposite way from usual, i.e. the 'hinge' of the zip is not next to your hip, it's on the other side. they describe this as a feature, but it's just really annoying because the shoulder straps get in the way when you're trying to open it! fuck knows what they were thinking when they designed this. it doesn't offer any more security and certainly doesn't make it more convenient. in fact i wish i hadn't bought it! BAH. :|

StarOceanHouse: would you be buying that new or used? that appears to be what us in the UK would call a 350D, which is a relatively old model. but a good one, nonetheless, if you're getting one cheap. :)

^
Really check out that Black Rapid strap. I just spent a week schleping around Washington and the Puget Sound with that strap the whole time and I love it. Very convenient and user friendly.

I also just ordered the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 from KEH.com which means it's time to sell my 18-200VR. :( I've relied on this lens for everything because of it's versatility over the past 2 years but the fact is I need faster lenses. I love that lens, but there's no replacing f2.8 glass. So off to ebay and/or craigslist it goes!

untitled-3.jpg

my newest piece of photography gear is the dashboard camera sponge mount.

i built once of these (takes about five minutes) and used it with a Panasonic pocket cam (set to movie mode) to take some pretty decent road videos on a recent trip. turning and positioning the camera away from the road, it can also be used for interior car shots. perfect for amateur racing enthusiasts and travel documentary filmmakers alike.

instructions here:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/20/big-sponge-camcorder-dashboard-mount/