• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

4.jpg.2048x1566_q100.jpg

Very impressive project in general. This one in particular... <3

volundr, dat fog <3 great work through and through! where were the cityscapes taken?

aussie, brilliant shots!!!! i wish i would have encountered great things my only time scuba diving but im far from amazing reef. great stuff, can't wait to see what you capture with your new cam :)

Some older photos I'm posting now since I finally got around to sifting through my memory cards.

good1_zps441bea27.jpg

good2_zps7d22b5b4.jpg

good3_zpsf93a19f2.jpg

good4_zps960f1c3c.jpg

good5_zps97ba0344.jpg

^ Beautiful shots! I haven't been on BL in a while so I felt like I was gonna return to this thread with a shit load of great new photos to look at, but it seems it's been fairly inactive. I took a few this weekend that I'd like to share! I photographed a wedding on Saturday and some motorcycle races on Sunday, so I'll put more up later, but for now, I've only really begun going through them. Here's a couple, however.

DSC_0282_zpse56be879.jpg

DSC_0238_zpsdf757f6d.jpg

DSC_0386_zps60812e28.jpg

DSC_0128_zps490069c3.jpg

DSC_0500_zps90fbb0e1.jpg

DSC_0555_zps072246b0.jpg

DSC_0471_zps19c85e3d.jpg

DSC_0430_zpsd36849f0.jpg

DSC_0185_zps7669adca.jpg

DSC_0138_zpseb1802ef.jpg

DSC_0281_zpsc48a565d.jpg

DSC_0694_zpse7246f95.jpg

Yeah they are! They look like they could be in a magazine. They all have such distinct character!

Finally decided to buy my first DSLR a few days ago!

Its a nikon d3100. It came with the kit lenses, a 18-55mm and 50-200mm. Im thinking about buying the 35mm 1.8g nikon lens because I want something that offers a little wider angle and is good in low light.

Tested it out at the park yesterday playing around with the manual settings, I was happy how they turned out considering it was my first time handling a DSLR.

Im going to be trying to take up photography as a new hobby of mine so I'd love to have a discussion about gear/techniques/anything photography related!

DSC_0151_zps595102b6.jpg

DSC_0116_zps47a6b662.jpg

DSC_0141_zps1f062b49.jpg

DSC_0216_zps5c8e64ba.jpg

DSC_0152_zps6a7dd168.jpg

DSC_0191_zps2a8db7fb.jpg

very nice photos chatative.
i like the football one a lot, but also the dew and flower... nice.

So what kit do you folks use?

This is mine:

• Nikon D90
  • Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm ED VR
  • Circular Polariser (not in photo)
  • iPhone 5S! (used to take photo!)

Purchases for the future are a tripod & 12-24mm lens. I also might get a point & shoot camera too... my phone is a great back up but there are some real good compact point & shoot cameras on the market these days. My Mum & Sister both have a Panasonic Lumix, which I've heard good things about & certainly seems pretty decent.

Oh and I really want to get a wine red strap for my Camera (Dexter anyone? :D) :

Last edited:
nice gear there chatative!

well mine is THIS!

canon_powershot_g16_0.jpg

yes a compact.
no filters, no nothing.

though sometimes my brotherinlaw lends me his nikon d3000. not a bad piece that is...
i wish i had the cash for something more serious though....

That looks like a pretty sweet compact... very much designed like a DLSR in it's layout too. Probably not surprising considering it's a Canon. 12.1 MP... amazing how high MPs are becoming on cameras these days.

The first DLSR I used was my Dad's Canon 300D. I then got a Sony Cybershot 3.1MP jobber on my 17th I think... I then saved up my pennies whilst I was working full time between changing Uni courses & got a D40, and finally a few years later I blew my student loan on a D90... useful things student loans are. ;)

I can't exactly remember when I got the 70-300mm lens, but a while after. Certainly had no spare cash at that time!

You've had some nice shots I've seen in EADD... you should dig some others out to share here. :)

its not only about the megapixels thuogh, as you probably already know.
heck, theres the lumia phone! with 40MP! thats 10x what my first digital compact had!

indeed my camera is pretty good, but still dslrs are better overall. i will say this though, this one does a pretty good job of closing that distance, and it can be very user friendly. there s no way i could teach my gf to snap a shot properly with a dslr, but this one is just point and shoot if i want it to.
and then when i want, i can fiddle with a lot of settings and play around with RAW too.

saving up for a D7100 though if i get a better job in the near future that is ...

its not only about the megapixels thuogh, as you probably already know.
heck, theres the lumia phone! with 40MP! thats 10x what my first digital compact had!

I was going to say the exact same thing but thought there was no point, was obvious we'd all know that in here. :D

saving up for a D7100 though if i get a better job in the near future that is ...

Had a wee looksee over the D7100. I've not really kept up to date with Nikons DLSRs, so hard to figure what the modern equivalent would be but I figure the D7000 was roughly equivalent to a new version of the D90. I'm pretty sure I'd be going to something of that standard (7100) a few years down the line when things of moved on sufficiently to justify an upgrade.

For now, getting a good quality ultra-wide angle lens is probably more of a priority. I was thinking perhaps of the Tokina 11-16mm:

Tokina_11_16mm_4c60894d9288b003102_m.jpg

I'd love a 12-24 but I think that one is meant to be better quality / value for money. I don't suppose I'd be getting one for a while though.

I have a D5100 with the kit lens and I love it. Will be posting here more in the next future as I've been neglecting it lately.