Philip Glass, Vangelis & Co - EDM or...?

AndroidsDreamofBTC

Bluelight Crew
I was planning to post a Vangelis track in the "favourite oldskool rave track", but then I realized that Vangelis doesn't really put the D in EDM.

Does anyone else enjoy pre-EDM 'experimental artists' - like Vangelis or Philip Glass? Philip Glass makes some intense music. It's like a mixture of minimal ambient with orchestra music. I really enjoy the old skul vibe of this kind of music - it feels deep and without a hint of pushiness. Although I can't really imagine listening to this music while being around other people (this applies to most ambient music).

Some of my favourite tracks:
Philip Glass - Vessels
Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
Philip Glass - Pruit Igoe

Vangelis - Himalaya
Vangelis - Alpha
Vangelis - Blade Runner Blues

Is this even EDM? Does anyone know of any artists that have a modern take on this style of music (I am not talking about psybient and et. al)

I enjoy it, but I'm of that vintage I guess. Tangerine Dream should be in there too of course and many others that I just can't remember for some odd reason ;) They all just blend into one big fat Moog.

Koyaanisqatsi was a fantastic audio and visual tour de force.

yea every now and then i come across or dig in the archive for some early experimental synth vibes.

i love old pics of og synth geeks:
ClassicTracks_03.jpg

^ GIORGIO MORODER - AUS / THE END (1975)

as for modern artist with a take on the style, pulse emitter comes to mind: http://www.bleep43.com/bleep43/2012/2/27/pulse-emitter-interview.html

oh and def not edm.

yea every now and then i come across or dig in the archive for some early experimental synth vibes.

i love old pics of og synth geeks:
ClassicTracks_03.jpg

^ GIORGIO MORODER - AUS / THE END (1975)

as for modern artist with a take on the style, pulse emitter comes to mind: http://www.bleep43.com/bleep43/2012/2/27/pulse-emitter-interview.html

oh and def not edm.

Cool pic! Georgio Moroder made this kind of music? I've listened to his work on the Scarface OST. I'll check out pulse emitter.

Cool pic! Georgio Moroder made this kind of music? I've listened to his work on the Scarface OST.
holy shit, i never knew he produced the scarface ost! mind-fucking-blown. he just went from cool to cult status :D yea, he made some wild, pioneering synth music.

I knew that was going to be oxygene without even clicking on it

The Future Sound of London [2021] - Music for 3 Books

Tracklist:

0:00 - 01. Viewed From Outside
2:47 - 02. The Whispering Masses
7:12 - 03. Orrery
11:33 - 04. Fracti
14:39 - 05. Episode
20:31 - 06. Magnify Within The Thought
25:40 - 07. Replace I With You
28:55 - 08. Viewed From Trains
30:48 - 09. External Limits