• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Phenylpiracetam

mitragyna

Bluelighter
I was doing some research on the various -racetams and came across Phenylpiracetam. Man, this one sounds interesting.
Carphedon (C12H14N2O2, 2-(4-phenyl-2-oxopyrrolidin-1-yl)acetamide) is a derivative of the nootropic drug piracetam. It was developed in Russia, and a small number of low-scale clinical studies have shown possible links between prescription of carphedon and improvement in a number of encephalopathic conditions, including lesions of cerebral blood pathways, and certain types of glioma. It is also claimed to increase physical stamina and provide improved tolerance to cold. As a result, it appears on the lists of banned substances issued by the World Anti-Doping Agency. This list is applicable in all Olympic sports. As of 27 February 2006, the most recent case of carphedon abuse by a professional athlete is that of Russian biathlon Olympic silver medalist Olga Pyleva in the 2006 Winter Olympics, who was disqualified from attending further events following a positive drug test. She was subsequently banned from competition for two years. It may be noteworthy that Pyleva claims that carphedon was an unlisted ingredient of a Russian medication she was prescribed by her personal doctor (not a team doctor).

While not widely available in the West, in Russia it is available as a prescription medicine under the brand name "Phenotropil". Packets of ten 100 mg pills are available for roughly 250 rubles (2008 price), or about 10 USD. It is typically prescribed as a general stimulant or to increase tolerance to cold and stress.

A former rider for Gerolsteiner, professional cyclist Danilo Hondo, tested positive to this banned substance in 2005.
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff??

Moving to ADD I think you will get more responses there

phenylpiracetam = carphedon

for those in the know. Now you're all in there. Not so exclusive anymore, is it? I guess not. Do I still have to wear a black tie? It's best. Bow-ties are 'okay' if you're Tucker Carlson (who I always confuse with George Wills for some odd reason), but best for those wishing to mock you.

^ lol wtf :D

What is the point of taking these racetam analogues? I've tried a few, and tbh they feel more toxic (maybe all in my head) than good old piracetam.

So, my question to you is, what is your purpose for seeking out novel racetam analogues?

high individual variance

also some are certainly better than others and you may require co-factors for best results

samadhi_smiles said:
So, my question to you is, what is your purpose for seeking out novel racetam analogues?
Out of mere curiousity TBH. I think there is a lot of potential behind the racetams. Knowledge is power ;)

With, I don't know that carphedon is really a "novel analogue"- it's definitely the one with the most recreational potential.

If you look carefully, you'll find the PEA skeleton in there, and from there you can probably figure out why it's the most interesting.

This would make it not a 'racetam, but if it lacked that acetamide group, I bet it'd be a lot more fun.

Man, I wonder if this has been said before. Ohh boy, I wanna be the first to suggest stucking this group on this molecule: methylenedioxy-phenylpiracetam anyone? ;)

Probably not so surprising, but it's also on the banned substances list issued by the Australian sports antidoping authority

I'm pretty sure that just about every IOC country will have the same substances on their own lists.

In Ukraine the carphedon is without prescripiton. My friend brought me some about a year ago and my experience with carphedon is that it lacks any positive mood or cognition enhancing properties yet it might be useful for increasing the physical stamina.

mindtools said:
Don't you see there some info that wasn't written in this thread?

I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm assuming he meant that you should at least include a reason for why we should look at it.

Or maybe that anyone who was interested in the subject would at least use google and come across it?

Given that the PEA skeleton produces stimulant effects when tacked onto a racetam (how unfortunate the exact pharmacology is unknown) - the next obvious step is 4/alpha-methylation. I would imagine this produces a very worthwhile stimulant, shame it's never been synthesized.

search.cgi

Given that the PEA skeleton produces stimulant effects when tacked onto a racetam (how unfortunate the exact pharmacology is unknown) - the next obvious step is 4/alpha-methylation. I would imagine this produces a very worthwhile stimulant, shame it's never been synthesized.

Oh no, it actually was:

Berestovitskaya, V. M.; Zobacheva, M. M.; Novikov, B. M.; Vasil'eva, O. S.; Usik, N. V.; Aleksandrova, S. M.; Tyurenkov, I. N.
"2-Oxo-1-pyrrolidinyl acetamides: methods for preparation and structure."
Azotistye Geterotsikly i Alkaloidy, [Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi Konferentsii "Khimiya i Biologicheskaya Aktivnost Azotistykh Geterotsiklov i Alkaloidov"]
1st, Moskva, Russian Federation, Oct. 9-12 2001, 1, pp.229-233
Conference written in Russian.
Abstract
A symposium article on the prepn. of 4-phenyl-2-pyrrolidone-1-acetamide (carphedone) derivs. by ---------- -- ---------------- ---- -- ------------- ------. -- -------- -- ----, -------- -- --------- --- --. --- to give the corresponding acetamides in 80% yields. Their pharmacol. properties are also discussed, esp. effects on the cardiovascular system.

I doubt though that anybody here has access to this article. :(

- Murphy