• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Phenibut Megathread

How would anyone rate Phenibut comparable so say Xanax or Valium?

Also, does White GFJ or Tagamet potentiate it?

I've had some odd aftereffects 1-2 days after using phenibut lately. My dosing regimen is quite strict, I don't dose more that once every 2-3 weeks, and never exceeded 1gr. I've been doing this for about 5 months, give or take. The last two experiences were fine, yet, about 48 hours after dosing, I started to feel terribly depressed, like I've never felt before; realizing the extreme pointlessness of being, of acting, of everything. It was really bleak. All I wanted to do was go to bed and wait until it's over.

This 'depressive episode' lasted for about 12-15 hours, I think. The day after I felt normal and a bit euphoric for being relieved from this horrible state of mind.

About 2 weeks later, I decided to give it another go, at 500 mg instead of the usual 1000. Effects were, as expected as I've tried this dosage before, minimal yet present. 48 hours later I, again, felt a bit down, but much more manageable than previous time.

Anyone can relate to this?

This was the main reason I had to stop phenibut -- it made me horribly, HORRIBLY depressed. I've dealt with sporadic depression basically my whole life, but phenibut took it to a whole other level. It got so bad I put myself in the hospital, something I could never have imagined doing.

Now, I typically took doses in excess of what you're taking, but not always. Towards the end of my phenibut habit the "rebound" depression came with every dose, varying in intensity depending on how high my dose was. This was the first time I'd ever been truly suicidal in my life.

The crazy part is, I didn't even fully realize it was the phenibut causing this until a few months before I stopped. All I can say is be very careful, because it's unlikely to get any better, and will almost certainly get worse.

Really really wish you could get this stuff in Canada....ive heard it's the bees knees combined with Kratom!

Can get two really nice highs twice a month or one weekend m and have the best sex if your life

Last edited:
How would anyone rate Phenibut comparable so say Xanax or Valium?

Also, does White GFJ or Tagamet potentiate it?

I had a minor Valium habit from August 2015 until January 2017. Did a super slow taper from August 2016 until the end. I had tried Phenibut before that on a number of occasions. It never really struck me as that great. BUT

I've had some withdrawal issues for the past several months. I ended up getting some Phenibut again to see if it helps.

I would say that it does. I think the most important difference between Phenibut and benzos is that it doesn't impair your judgment. The biggest regret I have from my Valium days is the myriad stupid things I did. This has not happened with Phenibut. At the same time, I don't find Phenibut to be "fun". I'm surprised people abuse it, or even get addicted to it.

All of that said, as I am still dealing with the aftermath of my Valium experiment, my recommendation to everyone is to skip these drugs if you can. They are more trouble than they are worth.

yes I get a similar feeling of "everything is pointless and I dont want to live" when I come off phenibut. This is why I prefer GHB over phenibut.
Thanks for your response. 'Good' to know it isn't just me. GHB is way too impairing for me, I can take phenibut and just proceed through my day as normal, except everything is nice, no nervousness.

This was the main reason I had to stop phenibut -- it made me horribly, HORRIBLY depressed. I've dealt with sporadic depression basically my whole life, but phenibut took it to a whole other level. It got so bad I put myself in the hospital, something I could never have imagined doing.

Now, I typically took doses in excess of what you're taking, but not always. Towards the end of my phenibut habit the "rebound" depression came with every dose, varying in intensity depending on how high my dose was. This was the first time I'd ever been truly suicidal in my life.

The crazy part is, I didn't even fully realize it was the phenibut causing this until a few months before I stopped. All I can say is be very careful, because it's unlikely to get any better, and will almost certainly get worse.
Thanks for your reply. This sounds really bad, man, hope you're doing better now. I think it can really increase underlying depressions. These side-effects happened too me when I was in a little bit of a decisive period, and was under quite some stress. The phenibut removed the stress but came back with a vengeance. Glad I discovered early. I will give it another spin in a month or 2, or when I feel a lot better in general, too see if these rebounds are the reaction to depression or just part of the drug itself (I doubt that, seeing that lots of other people don't really experience this).

Sure can get it to Canada. I order it to Can all the time. Wont tell ya where because of sources rules but just saying you can.

I think it's all about the thrill you're chasing. I love phenibut for the euphoric "life is good" feeling it gives, but hate it for it's quick tolerance/dependence potential.

I think it's all about the thrill you're chasing. I love phenibut for the euphoric "life is good" feeling it gives, but hate it for it's quick tolerance/dependence potential.

Exactly! I use Gabapentin a lot to help my nerves feel balanced after going through Ritalin and benzos. I was thinking about starting Phenibut again instead of using Gabapentin, but shit, that dependency and withdrawal is really scary. Think I'll leave it alone. Haven't had it in a few years...

You're usually better off without Phenibut in the long-run, unless you can keep it to the lowest dose possible.

Last edited:
So, people have said they have taken SSRI's with no ill effect with Phenibut,

But what about Tricyclic anti-depressants, specifically Amitriptyline? Any risk there?

F'loki

Totally agree. Gabapentin is nearly more enjoyable to me in terms of relaxation/loving life. I've seen online vendors but they're so freaking expensive everywhere I've seen.

Did anyone else suffer from protracted phenibut withdrawal? 5 months 13 days ago I decided to quit a heavy phenibut addiction cold turkey. During the time I was addicted to phenibut I took 32 grams a day, 4 times a week for about 8-9 months. After quitting phenibut cold turkey over 5 months ago I suffered the acute withdrawal which was 6 days of hell but on the 7th day I woke up and all my emotions were gone, its like a switch for all emotions went off. Now I suffer from anhedonia/emotional numbness and it hasn't went away for over 5 months now, did/does anyone else suffer from this?

What about the different Phehibuts?
R-Phenibut
Phenibut-HCL
Phenibut-FAA

Also, does anyone have a problem with the taste of phenibut?

What about the different Phehibuts?
R-Phenibut
Phenibut-HCL
Phenibut-FAA

Also, does anyone have a problem with the taste of phenibut?

I've only ever had the hcl, but as far as the taste, yes... it's horrible. I always just ordered capsules because they're still dirt cheap. The one time they were out of capsules and I had to order powder, I just parachuted it.

Every time I start phenibut I've found the best way imo is to take 3,500mg a day, in the morning, once a day. EVERYDAY.

The SAME EXACT DOSE, never upping the amount, everyday. After about 1 month when the positives start to wear down, I take slightly less everyday until I stop, or I'll do a different drug for a few days if I cold turkey it.

Then I'll quit for a week or two or a few months, then start it up again. I did it twice a day, everyday, for a year. I weened down for about a month I think when I stopped but it was still kinda bad, but not that bad. Weening down is the important thing with this one.

I don't mind the phenibut taste, it's not really bitter to me just quite sour which mostly tastes curious but interesting... on more rare occasions I can taste how people say it tastes like ass.

The FAA would taste much more like ass which is not something I'd really like sublingually - doesn't seem appealing to me or worth it. If you don't take high dosage then I don't know that there is really - like a toxicological - advantage to being able to reduce your intake with sublingual FAA over oral HCl and if you do take high dosage I probably still wouldn't want it sublingually despite reduced intake, although I am not exactly sure on whether it would be quicker to harm your GI tract with the HCl or to harm your mucous membrane with the FAA if you take considerable amounts.

Is R-phenibut being sold? It's much more of a VDCC "blocker" which is imo mainly what you *should* be looking for. I don't think aiming for the GABA b agonism is really something people should be doing outside of therapeutic baclofen, nor GABA b in concert with VDCC blocking.

In the past phenibut made my day easier to handle and just better, more relaxed and high-spirited. Now phenibut doesn't seem to do me many favors and gives me soreness / pain sensitivity, but pregabalin prescription does fulfill that same effect of smoothening out my day and how I can function (pregabalin is rather a pure VDCC "blocker", no GABA agonism)...

Phenibut absolutely requires cycling for responsible use and you absolutely don't want to up your dosage to fight tolerance (just like this is extremely ill-advised with GHB), but take a break. Pregabalin is also a bit ugly to come off of but I consciously decided to later pay that price for the therapeutic value, something I definitely would never do again with benzo's for all the money in the world.

Dissolved in a little water, I find the taste of the HCl very sour but I don't mind it. If I eat the powder though, it is bitter and unpleasant.

Phenibut has been very useful to me as a substitute for benzos and zopiclone, which I have been taking on and off for 15 years and daily for the past few years (surprisingly, my daily doses have remained quite modest ~5-10mg diazepam, ~7.5mg-15 zopiclone for instance). Despite the relatively light doses, it had been quite difficult to take a break again once I started using daily. With phenibut, I've been able to take some time out from the benzos again. My daily doses of phenibut were generally one to two grams, sometimes a little less, though now I am only using around half a gram every second day.

Times where I have re-dosed several times for a few days straight, using maybe five grams a day (possibly more), my eyes have become quite sore and a nauseating feeling of mild vertigo has lasted for around 24 hours. This has happened at least twice and is quite unpleasant. So, for me, phenibut is self-limiting in terms of how high I can push the dose and I'm actually preferring the mild doses I am using now. All in all, useful stuff.

I added 1 gram of phenibut with gabapentin yesterday and today. It feels like the phenibut turned something on in my brain that was missing. I usually hate everything including the sun, but now I don't mind anything. The sun is bright and it doesn't bother me. I'm not cowering or hiding like the singer in the "Who Can It Be Now?" video. I don't feel afraid to be seen. Also, I am incredibly horny.

I haven't had phenibut in years, but now I see how it gives a "boost". I feel alive again. Gonna get more next month. It only takes a little bit. Not a lot.