View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines and Brain Damage

The Hoff Bomb

Bluelighter
The other night I met this girl at a party. We started talking about tripping and she told me that she had been sold 2c-I in a capsule and it made her go retarded. A few days later a friend of mine drove her to the doctor get her brain examined. She had brain damage. She only took it once.
I have taken the substance countless times and sometimes I feel like Im tripping when Im sober, and a little retarded. I'm a little concerned

^^^^ How was her brain "examined"? It usually takes more than an afternoon of testing to determine type/extent of brain damage, and even then there are many other factors in a person's life (injury, genetics, etc.) that can cause this damage.

I for one would not be willing to accept what for now is this girl's anecdotal evidence for the case that "2C-I causes brain damage." Sounds to me more like she's whoring for attention or trying to blame her intrinsically retarded behavior on a drug...

She didn't think she was an orange and try to peel herself as well? :p

This sounds very unlikely to me to be honest. As tobala said, brain damage isn't just something a doctor can check up for. Brain damage is a very broad term for huge range of various problems, some that don't effect cognition at all...obviously it depends what part of the brain is damaged. As far as I know, 2C-I is safe in moderation. It doesn't cause brain damage.

Before I did 2C-I I thought I had minor brain damage due to me being so retarded from pot, meth and pills and I guess to a certain extent the stress and damage from being an IV drug user(the mental strain is huge for an IV user and the user doesnt go back to normal for months after cease of use). But after I did the 2C-I(2 days in a row mind you, not recommended though) I now feel im back to normal me, very strange indeed. Im not implying that Phens or 2C-x dont cause any kind of brain damage, but it seems like it did me a shitload of good with the worst side effect being some strained muscles, so im not complaining. Phens seem to me like they do much less damage than the average drug, almost as harmless as acid but everyone knows that every drug is dangerous in way way or another and often more so ill shut my mouth there.

If your planning to try it or already do it, just dont be irresponsible with it. It certainly does sound like this girl is covering up her behaviour while on the stuff.

^The thing is that these drugs haven't proven to be neurotoxic. Stress isn't neurotoxic either; intense experiences of any kinda can rewire your brain somewhat. Some PEA's are known to be neurotoxic (MDMA, methamphetamine for example)...It wouldn't surprise me is unresearched reasarch chemicals are, in fact, neurotoxic, but for now we don't know I guess. The fact that 2C-I has been around for quite a while now with no such reports is promising I feel..

^^Yeah when I say stress has caused brain damage I dont necessarily mean neurotoxicity, but this rewiring as you call it which I consider brain damage or maybe I should call it "mind damage" because it is really a mental damage rather than physical and in some cases could definitely be defined as damage. Then again sometimes this rewiring is a blessing and I understand some people seek this positive mind change...I guess what ive experienced since my 2C-I trips have been a "positive mind rewiring"

Thx for pointing that out swilow.

The Hoff Bomb said:
The other night I met this girl at a party. We started talking about tripping and she told me that she had been sold 2c-I in a capsule and it made her go retarded. A few days later a friend of mine drove her to the doctor get her brain examined. She had brain damage. She only took it once.
I have taken the substance countless times and sometimes I feel like Im tripping when Im sober, and a little retarded. I'm a little concerned

How do you know that any 'brain damage' (which requires things like fMRI scans - not something a doctor has in his surgery) is the result of 2C-I and not some other cause as I bet she's consumed other drugs in her time. In fact haveyou any proof that what she consumed was 2C-I and not some dodgy research chemical (wouldn't put it past some bright sparks with unbridled greed to start distributing something like 4-chloroamphetamine due to a piss poor knowledge of pharmacology BTW 4-chloroamphetamine is hideously neurotoxic).

To go from some girls vague stiry to PEAs cause brain damage is one hell of a logical leap

Not 2c-i, but as it also lacks a blah blah group...

"Because 2C-B lacks an alpha-methyl group it is not considered an amphetamine such as MDMA, MDA, or methamphetamine. 2C-B does not seem to deplete the brain of serotonin, and this suggests that it may not share the neurotoxic mechanisms of many amphetamines." - Pihkal

I'm not going to call bullshit on this story, but I am going to say that second, third, fourth, hand knowledge from a doctor (herself a fallible source of knowledge) is almost surely going to be incorrect.

Yeah, if it did indeed "fuck her up", maybe she had the schizophrenia gene and the psychedelic experience set it off so it came on earlier. Or maybe she's full of shit, trying to get attention.

Unless she took like 100mg of 2C-I, I am going to say I highly doubt it caused anything permanent that wasn't already there (a la the gene for schizophrenia).

Did they do an MRI or something? How did they get an image of her brain to conclude that there was permanent damage?

To the extent that PEAs release 5ht and dopamine at the same time, they would cause MDMA like damage. Some research suggests that some of the "research chemicals" do this (damn...no reference handy).

Of the ones that are commonly used recreationally, neurotoxicity through another mechanism would be a large surprise.

ebola

I think that it is possible that some doctors would possibly attempt to "frighten" kids off using drugs by making such a statement. This is just a guess - pretty much like most everything else in this thread. I'd like more info from the hoff bomb about this converstaion because it would seem that her brain damage doesn't effect her ability to communicate or go to parties or recall & name the drug she took What if any scans or tests were done - do you know - did she strike you as brain damaged when you were talking to her?

Some research suggests that some of the "research chemicals" do this (damn...no reference handy).

That is a shame - I'd like to read about that & specifically which RCs & at what dosages

^Aye my psychiatirsy (well a psych I saw a years ago) claimed LSD was a "torture device".

i saw a paper that said 5-meo-dipt was neurotoxic. given what i've heard about it, that doesn't sound too impossible...

Surely MDMA is neurotoxic at high enough concetrations - & this is the point - no one ( well not me anyway) seems to have any definitive information to hand about this.

Hopefully someone will pop out of the machinery with it presently

psilocybonaut said:
Yeah, if it did indeed "fuck her up", maybe she had the schizophrenia gene and the psychedelic experience set it off so it came on earlier. Or maybe she's full of shit, trying to get attention.

Unless she took like 100mg of 2C-I, I am going to say I highly doubt it caused anything permanent that wasn't already there (a la the gene for schizophrenia).

Did they do an MRI or something? How did they get an image of her brain to conclude that there was permanent damage?
Iv watched two girls eat 80-120mg of 2c-i each, source I would trust said this 2c-i was 98%>pure.

they seem to be okay, i know one girl who would constantly take 35-50mg of 2c-i (same source) on a regular basis(usually snorted), but she is dumb as a bag of rocks to begin with so she doesn't really count.

you'd be surprised how much some people take and survive without much in teh way of brain damage though.

B9 said:
What ?

Why?

Do go on please

I have utterly no idea. Actually, it was to deter me from using LSD, I'd say.