Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

penis envy mushrooms

Still not a physical aspect.

Added tags for size:
NSFW:
Q: Did you know that there are similarities among different races of plants, people, and all living things despite the variation inherent in chromosome replication (breeding)?

A: Obviously. Look at skin color, eye color, hair color, breast size. Whatever it is, there's a genetic correlation.

Q: Do you know how organisms are created? Do you know what a clone is? This will help you understand genetics.

A: Think back to Jurassic Park. If you can look at all the coding regions of a genome (DNA), then, in effect, you could recreate the organism. The process of breeding makes this easy, since genetics from 2 parents combine to form offspring.

Q: Did you know that we can find our closest relatives through investigation of our DNA (mtDNA)?

A: Yes, we can trace your mitochondrial DNA all the way back to the genetic "Eve," or first mother. In effect, this means that there are similarities among our chromosomes that allow us to find a common ancestor.

Okay, now that you know this, let's look at some interesting facts about fungi genetics.

1. The fungi probably colonized the land during the Cambrian Period (542–488.3 Million years ago), long before land plants.

2. The major phyla (sometimes called divisions) of fungi have been classified mainly on the basis of characteristics of their sexual reproductive structures.

3. The use of DNA sequencing technologies and phylogenetic analysis has provided new insights into fungal relationships and biodiversity, and has challenged traditional morphology-based groupings in fungal taxonomy.

Let's look at what genetics are.

Organisms inherit traits via discrete units of inheritance called "genes." Genes hold the information to build and maintain an organism's cells and pass genetic traits to offspring.

Genes correspond to regions within DNA, a molecule composed of a chain of four different types of nucleotides—the sequence of these nucleotides is the genetic information organisms inherit.

DNA naturally occurs in a double stranded form, with nucleotides on each strand complementary to each other. Each strand can act as a template for creating a new partner strand—this is the physical method for making copies of genes that can be inherited.

The sequence of nucleotides in a gene is translated by cells to produce a chain of amino acids, creating proteins—the order of amino acids in a protein corresponds to the order of nucleotides in the gene.

This relationship between nucleotide sequence and amino acid sequence is known as the genetic code.

The amino acids in a protein determine how it folds into a three-dimensional shape; this structure is, in turn, responsible for the protein's function. Proteins carry out almost all the functions needed for cells to live.

A change to the DNA in a gene can change a protein's amino acids, changing its shape and function: this can have a dramatic effect in the cell and on the organism as a whole.

Tying it all together:

Mushrooms predate pangaea, wherein the world was one large continent. Mushrooms evolved separately over eons to create and maintain distinct genomes. These genomes give rise to coding genes that make mushrooms what they are.

The major active "ingredients" in cubensis mushrooms are:
* Psilocybin (4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine)
* Psilocin (4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine)
* Baeocystin (4-phosphoryloxy-N-methyltryptamine)
* Norbaeocystin (4-phosphoryloxytryptamine)

Many of you on this forum know that 2ci is not the same as 2cb. Well, the molecular difference between the two is just a switch of bromine for iodine at one position on the molecule.

Here's another example... Testosterone versus Nandralone. Can you tell me the difference between these two molecules?

One gives you male characteristics, the other gives you impotence. There's only a switch of a methyl group for a hydrogen.

Further, I invite you to characterize (identify) all active ingredients in a mushroom via HPLC, IR, C/H-NMR. To my knowledge, the complete chemical composition of Psilocybe cubensis hasn't even been deciphered, or published academically, yet. If it has, then please, by all means, tell me how many different compounds are present.

Here's what you would need to do to prove that "a cube is a cube."
1. Successfully identify all chemical compounds within each "strain" of cubensis
2. Trace each strain's chemical compounds back to the genes that coded for them
3. Show that each strain of cubensis contains the same genes

Here's why you can't do that:

Chemical composition directly correlates to genetics that directly correlates to heredity. In other words, since there are different genetics, there are different chemicals. No one can tell me that there aren't different genetics involved in the different strains.

My point is that there are many different chemicals in many different concentrations that give rise to the experience of a "mushroom trip." Even the slightest variation among the chemicals can create vastly different experiences. The chemical compositions of mushrooms are based on heredity, as are their physical appearances.

Quit spouting "a cube is a cube," please.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13544288#13544288

And for posterity's sake here's an alternate view:
NSFW:
ndeed, fungi are older than plants, although both may be considerably older than previously believed, as fossil evidence is notoriously hard to interpret.

I agree genetics determine mushroom yield, potency, and distribution among active alkaloids - but a certain amount of what people attribute to differences between "strains" of any one species is down to expectation.

Differences between species themselves are far more pronounced, although there are (of course) people who claim there isn't really any.

There are people who claim you can't isolate for potency as well...which must be true. :wink: I've certainly never done it. :wink: :wink: Because it's impossible. :wink: :wink: :wink: I mean, why bother?

And even if you could you'd never be able to test the differences without a shed full of quantitative analysis equipment. :wink: Because nobody can do a valid bioassay on multiple samples. :wink: :wink: Because it's impossible, see. :wink: :wink: :wink: OK?

Suppose you just grow out a random isolate from each of a number of strains, and test these on yourself and your friends. And then you come to "conclusions" about strain differences, much like the original post. What you didn't (apparently) do was grow out an equal number of random isolates from just one strain, and test those on yourself and your friends - to establish a baseline of random variations.

And I'm not even going to speculate about multispore growing in this regard.

Though I suspect there may be differences, even replicable differences (because otherwise selection for valued characteristics doesn't work - although we generally know it does work, by narrowing the genetic variability) it's nigh impossible to prove. This is why both points of view survive.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13545805#13545805

In the end, until there's hard data, this argument is never going to end.

Mushrooms are damn fungus and random, a smaller mushroom COULD be more potent than a bigger one. The only factor that comes into play is the amount of psilocybin, which varies from mushroom to mushroom. Although different strains do contain a more potent amount of psilocybin, so it is possible a gram could be equivalent to an eighth.

^^

Do you have any data for these "controlled experiments"?

It's a cubensis - unless you were performing gene therapy on them in order to somehow increase the psilocybin content then penis envy will be as strong as any other cubensis - that's a fundamental law of nature. It's like saying you've just bred a strain of human being who can jump twice as high as any other human being. Nature simply doesn't work like that. There is a genetic code contained within the DNA of every cubensis mushroom that defines how much psilocybin it produces.

There is genetic code within every Cubensis mushroom that specifies an arbitrary physiological upper limit of active compounds that can be produced. Depending on growing conditions, you may be near to, or far away from this limit. And different types of Cubensis have different ranges of upper maximums that could be attained.

PE is a distinct enough Cubensis that many consider different.

Tom

Still not a physical aspect.

If it's in a physical body I'd say it has a physical aspect.

In the end, until there's hard data, this argument is never going to end.

True, just sharing my point of view among the many :\

Depending on growing conditions, you may be near to, or far away from this limit.

Do you think the growing conditions can make that much difference in the potency? If you had the best pf-tek guy on earth and put him up against a first-time grower would his cubes be twice as strong?

Do you think the growing conditions can make that much difference in the potency? If you had the best pf-tek guy on earth and put him up against a first-time grower would his cubes be twice as strong?

I haven't said that 'the best' would produce twice as much as a 'first time grower'. So I would thank you for not mentioning hard numbers. Do I think that growing conditions can make that much difference in potency? Yes I do. 'Can' being the important word. And twice as much? Don't know. I'm not going to quote data that I can't produce. I've grown Cubes that are weak, average, good and very good. Some supposedly the same, others supposedly different.

I about 3 months away from a Cyanascens grow so I'll have more basis of comparison then.

Tom

I've gotten amazing shrooms. The strongest ones I came across are the cubensis Mexican Oaxca strain. And when passed to friends, they were tripping hard off 1.5 grams. As if it was an eighth.
I did a whole eighth, made me go blank for 2 hours. Then a few weeks later I decided to do ten. Shrooms help me alot with life issues and my anxiety/depression. So I don't have a fear of them at all. 7 grams is that super spiritual sweet spot IMO.
5 grams is nice too, but to me it all depends on potency.

Growing conditions are EVERYTHING. This will basically determine your potency. All you gotta do is compare a closet grower to a large scale mushroom grow op. (On the assumption both know what they're doing.)
But if you're growing mushrooms in a warehouse then you're doing something right.

No, you misunderstand. They're both physical aspects of the organism related to the genetic code within it's DNA. Human beings all look pretty much the same right? Have you ever seen one twelve feet tall? Then why would you get cubensis with twice as much psilocybin?

If someone told you "I've bred a strain of human being 12 feet tall" what would you think? Apply the same reasoning to a mushroom.

testosterone levels in humans would work and, as you know, regardless of the fact we're all humans, this would vary based on a number of things

No, testosterone levels will be very, very similar in most human beings unless one is suffering disease or ageing.

Psilo content changes from flush to flush

That's not the argument tho is it - you're claiming that penis envy cubensis always have much more psilocybin than any other cubensis - that simply defys the law of nature.

Isn't the way they're dried, what they're cultivated in, growing conditions, etc. that determine the psilocybin content? Because I've gotten numerous types of cubensis mushrooms. And I can tell you is some will give you desired effects at 1.5-2 grams compared to others which might take 3.5 grams. Maybe it has to do with stomach contents or whatever, but from my 30+ experiences with mostly cubensis mushrooms I definitely came across some that kicked my ass in low doses.

Last edited:
Psilocybin is an incredibly variable drug - depending on your mood, the weather, how tired you are the same dose can have massively different effects. I wouldn't just assume that if the trip feels a little bit stronger that must mean the cubies are "stronger".

Psilocybin is an incredibly variable drug - depending on your mood, the weather, how tired you are the same dose can have massively different effects. I wouldn't just assume that if the trip feels a little bit stronger that must mean the cubies are "stronger".

When I grow the mushrooms. When I take them once to twice a week. When I take them under identical (or near identical) conditions. Given these 'whens', then yes I assume that the cubes are stronger. And by the way, Psilocybin is not an incredibly variable drug; it is one's response that can be incredibly variable.

At what point does something qualify as 'stronger'? If one sample grown by Ted has 0.65% Psilocybin dry weight, and something grown by Allan has 0.73% Psilocybin dry weight, are Allan's shrooms stronger?

No, I wouldn't assume that if the trip is a little stronger than the cubes must be stronger, but I will assume that if the trip is a lot stronger (all variables remaining the same as much as possible) than the cubes are probably stronger.

Cubes can be and are different in Psilocybin/Psilocin levels.

Tom

I'm not confident in anyones ability to judge how big a dose they've taken. Not to any remotely accurate level. You've already said they won't be "twice" as powerful, so you're claiming you can tell fractional changes in dose? Like the difference between 2.5g and 3g? Nonsense.

Psychedelics can hit you in tremendously different ways - sometimes a low dose can seem more powerful than a high dose. And the "variables" arn't under you conscious control - that's the whole point. A psychedelic trip takes you where it wants.

I'm not confident in anyones ability to judge how big a dose they've taken. Not to any remotely accurate level. You've already said they won't be "twice" as powerful, so you're claiming you can tell fractional changes in dose? Nonsense.

Psychedelics can hit you in tremendously different ways - sometimes a low dose can seem more powerful than a high dose.

Do you mean a) how big a mass of mushrooms, or b)how big a pharmacologically active dose contained within the mass of mushrooms?

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say they are 'twice as potent'. It is you who seem to have pulled this number out of mid air (sorry to sound insulting, so I'll ask why is this twice as much important). I also *have not* posted any claims as to how stronger PE mushrooms are. Not. at. all. Thank you for respecting that fact.

Am I claiming I can tell fractional differences in dose? Yes. And so can hundreds of thousands of other people.

Nevertheless Ismene, I can tell you disagree with me (and think I'm wrong). So then we're at identical positions?

Tom

Am I claiming I can tell fractional differences in dose? Yes. And so can hundreds of thousands of other people.

No they can't Tom, they just think they can. Just like all those thousands who think they can tell the difference between cubensis strains. When you take your first trip on a batch of mushrooms the trip you have will colour your perception every time you trip from that batch. I remember I once had some truffles and some cubensis in two different jars in the freezer. For months I was convinced the truffles wern't as colourful or euphoric as the cubensis (I think I'd read some fucking idiot say it somewhere). Because I was expecting it to be less euphoric - guess what - it WAS less euphoric. Funny eh? Then I had the most colourful, euphoric trip I'd ever had. I looked the next morning and realised I'd taken the capsules from the truffles jar by mistake. That was the end of my believing you can "tell" what mushrooms you're taking.

I remember the story Owsley always told - he got sick of people claiming they could tell the difference between acid, that some was "clean" or some was "trippy" so he mixed 3 different food dye colours into the same batch of acid. Sure enough within weeks he had people saying the red acid was a bummer, the yellow acid was speedy and the green acid was righteously mellow.

We might have to call it a draw on this one Tom ;)

@Ismene. I'm quite happy to call it a draw

Anyways, I will have some subjective opinion about 5 types of home grown in about 4 weeks, the Gods willing.

Tom

4 to 5 grams plus penis envy does a body well. This is a sweet strain, spores are still around.... I found them quite colorful...

I've done this strain the last 2 times and all i can say is that this is certainly some stronger stuff. Be careful if you are new to psychedelics!
First time when i did 3 grams i thought i was really dying, but didn't know why, i couldn't remember nothing about anything.
And the last time was only 1.5 grams which started out as a very happy trip but when going indoors the scenery change just turned everything to hell. Thought i was going crazy. On some level i knew i was OK, but still not a good experience.
Compared to penis envy, everything else i've tried has been without any paranoia. I even left a tiny amount to try a few days later, maybe like 0.3 grams and even this amount produced quite alot of visuals!
Maybe i've suddenly turned more sensitive to the substances i don't know. Still i would recommend to start slow with new strains, this one certainly surprised me.

PE is pretty known to be the most potent cube.

Until they find the next one that needs some brand hype to help resell the same product.

Look out for the new "pepsi cubensis" - 10 times more potent than penis envy. Take the pepsi challenge.

So I'll assume there is such a thing as "Penis envy" mushys for now...and if they are in fact "a strong strain of cubes", NO VENDOR DISCUSSION

Last edited by a moderator:
If we can breed Cannabis Sativa plants with varying content of cannabinoids, why couldn't be that the case with Psilocybe Cubensis? (rhetorical question, but maybe somenone with knowledge could say something?)

I remember the story Owsley always told - he got sick of people claiming they could tell the difference between acid, that some was "clean" or some was "trippy" so he mixed 3 different food dye colours into the same batch of acid. Sure enough within weeks he had people saying the red acid was a bummer, the yellow acid was speedy and the green acid was righteously mellow.

We might have to call it a draw on this one Tom ;)

But there is a big difference between totally psychosomatic LSD side effects and being able to gauge the strength of your mushroom dose. I am going to make shroom cookies and make one a 2 gram and one a 3 gram one and get my roomate to give them to me without telling my which is which. I bet i can tell.