• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Talk Thread: Firly Swolks Discussing Mitillating Tatters Fithout Wilters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the total global environmental footprint of the whole bitcoin system, can that be approximated?

Since, there are only a certain total number of bitcoins that will be in circulation. The energy efficiency related to where most bitcoins are mined (not sure how this system works, but I know there are 'major players' or whatever, and what type of electricity production they are depending on would need to be estimated. Also, the blockchain would have to be analyzed in terms of the number of transactions and how much energy that would take to transfer the coins (I am not sure how this works, if after bitcoins are mined, the only energy they require would be the energy to run home computers essentially for peer to peer transactions, and all the servers and hosts and stuff like that and how much energy they take up in data centres. Also, I wonder if there are 'bitcoin teams' out there like finance groups on wall street or whatev, but who work in secret offices trading bitcoin all day. And like everyone who works in the exchanges and stuff, if the exchanges even have offices or are corporations at all, how much energy their transportation and hours and everything would take. And then, compare this to the current finance situation which I'm assuming would be much worse, because of all the hardships involved in transferring money over borders (my buddy and I find it hard to send each other money across two bordering countries to help each other out... what is with these 'countries' with barriers between them, we are all one species and are fuckin animals, silly monkeys dressed up in fancy suits).

I feel like such a dumbass for not saving at least one $100 coin lol. I sure used enough of them. I guess junkies really do only have one thing in mind, and that's getting the pure. 13 MWh is fucking crazy by the way what the fuck! Those numbers are SCARY man I just checked your calculations holy fuck!

Yes, according to this, http://www.bitcoinblockhalf.com/ there are an average of 1800 BTC generated per day. So 1800 * 13MWh = 23.4 *Giga* watt hours each day going to bitcoin mining.

This doesn't include at all the environmental cost of producing the hardware that this is mined on. We're talking basically disposable hardware, the industry is so competitive it quickly becomes unaffordable to use the previous generation of hardware, and the hardware is only good for SHA256 hashing (or whatever the hash is, I think it's that one), so it's pretty much useless once it's obsolete for mining.

TL;DR
We're burning about 23.4 GWh daily to mine bitcoin (aka make ledger blocks for the transactions)

And then, compare this to the current finance situation which I'm assuming would be much worse, because of all the hardships involved in transferring money over borders (my buddy and I find it hard to send each other money across two bordering countries to help each other out...

You could use any other crypto currency for this and you would save a lot in transaction fees too. Check out Litecoin, Ethereum, even Bitcoin Cash. Or my fave as I've said, IOTA

That is crazy, had no idea 1800 btc were being made each day. So, over half a million of them each year. 8541 giga watt hours each year... or converted to whatever comes after giga no idea like tetra watt hours? lol. but like couldn't the total energy output be approximated based on the knowledge of the total number of bitcoins that will eventually be in circulation and like future energy trends and stuff and all the past data and blockchain ledger and stuff? Not just today... but the past, present, and future of bitcoin mining all combined, with as many factors as possible taken into account. I bet that total energy amount would be ridiculous.

Never heard of IOTA before, I think I'll start with litecoin and ethereum. Maybe I could actually invest in one of those and make some money as opposed to being foolish and silly with bitcoins. I should have at least stored one away, but a junkies gotta do what a junkies gotta do. Blow every spare penny on dope until they get clean.

Bitcoin is growing pretty much the fastest right now, NXT is one that is outpacing BTC currently but it's in preparation for a split where you get free coins for holding it. BTC is the most stable crypto out there and is growing the fastest. It's also the only one that's really mainstream. IMO all the other cryptos, right now, are less stable. On the other hand whichever one(s) make it and get widely adopted will have their opportunity to win huge if you got in before that. Bitcoin is certainly past that. All I'm saying it be careful, earlier in the year I bought a lot of BTC to buy a crypto with that turned out to be a "pump and dump" where some big buyer pulls the price up hugely and then sells it all when it gains thousands of percent and everyone else got screwed including me, I lost over $500 but if I had sold an hour earlier I would have made $750. It's a crazy crypto world out there, don't do anything without doing some research. Well I mean if you want to invest $100 in something it's not like you can lose more than $100. But BTC seems to be the surest thing for the moment. The hype is just reaching mass audiences right now, it's gonna be traded "legitimately" soon, outside of Internet exchanges. Seems logical that will pull in a lot more money. It may all come crashing down one day but that day is not today or very soon, IMO. In the meantime, it's going to the stratosphere.

I just wish I had kept the BTC that I bought that other crypto with instead of buying another crypto that seemed promising... it would be worth about $15k now.

That's not to say there aren't other promising cryptos... but I didn't do enough research and bought into some hype and lost a big chunk of change, it turned me off cryptos right when I should have had my ear to the ground.

You won't strike it rich with BTC anymore unless you invest a lot and it keeps growing a lot, but you'll get gains almost for sure, for a while at least.

Last edited:
I just can't bring myself to buy them when I used to buy coins for 10 bucks. haha. That sucks about the 500 I have actually never been ripped off or made a mistake doing a transaction or anything like that... I'd be pissed about that.

So I gotta find a new one to invest in - probably several - and hold onto them for a few years to see if any one of them catches on. Bitcoin has bad energy to me, on a personal level, you see. My history with it is full of misery and agony. I'm also just not buying something worth 20 grand in my country that I used to buy for 10 bucks lol.

Yeah I do get that. Of course the actual value doesn't matter, it's about percentages. I only invested 300 to start but in a week it's nearly doubled, to like 550 so far, from BTC. If I had 5000 I would have done it and my gains would have been way more (to ~9000, it's 50% regardless of amount). But yeah if you only have a bit of money to invest, making a good decision or two on a small crypto gives you the chance to really make some money on it at some point. When BTC evens out and stops growing, I'm gonna either flip it into something else or cash it all out, depending on where it's at. I'll certainly cash out my initial investment and that way I can never end up lower than I started.

Man when I was helping my buddy rescue his coin, it was worth like 10k in my area and I thought that was crazy. Now it is 22k here around that and like a week later haha. I should have bought some last week. It is going up like crazy man I don't understand it. It's an easier investment to teach my computer illiterate friend all about how to use bitcoin knowing that I will get another massive backpack full of chrontrees in return, lol. Even though, I am smokin all of it myself... well I gave my good friend an ounce because she spends way too much money on dispensary weed and I think that is just a shitty thing when pot should be so cheap.

I have very little money to invest so yeah. For me it would be like, research different cryptos and making a choice or two for the future. It's just the principle of buying a minuscule fraction of something that I used to get for 10 bucks haha. I'm not gonna get rich off that one at this point but I def could have before and once it goes mainstream I sort of want to be out of the picture with that one. All it ever meant to me was the pure.

edit... so it went up $800 while I typed that in my currency. lol. If only I wasn't recovering from ruined junk habit finances that nearly left me in financial ruin... I'd buy some right now if I even had a few grand saved up, but around 100 grand worth of smack went up my nose over those 5 years. Man... even more actually. Like easily way more than that. I guess I made some shitty people very rich! Now there is a smart investment : ) I make really stupid choices lol... but if I get this second date haha, she is not a bad choice at all. haha. ahah. ahahaha.

re-edit... I actually wouldn't really be buying bitcoin... I'd be buying a few grams of MPT :D from what you were saying about it sounded too sick! I want to dab that shit so bad haha... would be nice if I could afford a gram of shatter at some point too, but I need to budget dating plans into consideration for the time being. I am capturing this fox if it is the last damn thing I do 8)

Totally getting MPT when I get my next pay! Even if it's just a little bit. Haven't tried a new psych in a really long while... got caught up with 2cc haha. Now that the 2 grams are pretty much gone, I figure I will never use that one again. It's a straight up gem, though.

Last edited:
I use a lot of nicotine. Probably 20ml of homemade .3% juice a day. When in places vaping is not welcome (meetings at work) I liberally squirt it in my mouth. I swear it keeps me sane and relaxes me.

I actually did the mouth squirt thing before for a while too.

Man my guitar player and I played some awesome music tonight, our drummer was too tired for practice (wahh wahh ;)). But the best part didn't get recorded, the program just stopped right before it. That hasn't happened in a long time, we thought we had it figured out... nothing worse than when you're playing something awesome and you're so excited that it got recorded, but it didn't. :( Actually there are a whole lot of things worse than that. But it does suck.

We started writing a new song too, I'm pretty happy about it. :)

Fuck, bitcoin is crazy right now. Wish I'd had the foresight to invest a few hundred on a regular basis. Even so, the 300 I bought one week ago is now worth 473 and I'm putting another 400 in today.
If I had the coins I've spent on drugs I'd be looking at houses right now. However, I put $300 in a couple weeks ago, when it was below $8000, and another $1000 last week at just over $11,000.

Today's peak over $18k was ridiculous, but even with the correction to $16k I'm still profiting just by sheer luck.

I hate myself for not sinking $1000 into bitcoin two weeks ago. There is an atm where I can do so. Xor...still going up...should I do that tomorrow?

Heh i did a great track the past few nights.
Ill take the tracks and import them into pc when i can, mix em and see if you wanna add...its gonna be great.

I actually did the mouth squirt thing before for a while too.

Man my guitar player and I played some awesome music tonight, our drummer was too tired for practice (wahh wahh ;)). But the best part didn't get recorded, the program just stopped right before it. That hasn't happened in a long time, we thought we had it figured out... nothing worse than when you're playing something awesome and you're so excited that it got recorded, but it didn't. :( Actually there are a whole lot of things worse than that. But it does suck.

We started writing a new song too, I'm pretty happy about it. :)

If I had the coins I've spent on drugs I'd be looking at houses right now.

I'd be looking at opening several holistic businesses that take enormous amounts of money to build from the ground up, and buying a lovely stone country home to raise a family in. I'd have a soundproofed music studio in my old haunted house with state of the art recording equipments and massive cabs the nicest warm valve tubes, vintage guitars, my own farmland and animals to raise, probably a chemistry lab for the hell of it, maybe to distill essential oils or solvent extract them. Indoor grow for sure just for persy sativa. I would have so much money I wouldn't know what to do with it all. I can't invest in that stuff these days because it will just make me want to cry :)

Time to look at other virtual currencies and maybe the same thing will happen with one of those. Well... if I had any money left over to invest in shit :)

Last edited:
I'm just starting to wind down from a two day, amphetamine-induced music writing/recording session 8(

I recorded three complete original instrumentals, all containing about 6-8 tracks each. Two of them I had already written, but the third one ("Dreaming of Her") I composed on Wednesday and recorded Thursday! I'm really proud of this last one, so I'll try to describe it since I don't have any way of uploading my songs yet...

The melody is beautiful and a bit melancholy, almost classical. The main instrument is piano, which basically just plays the notes of each chord softly. Then I added a few background tracks like light percussion and some synthesizer "strings". The chord progression is as follows (with the notes of each chord in parenthesis):

VERSE (play through twice):
Fmaj7 (FACE) :)
F6b5 (FABD)
G7 (GBDF)
G6/11 (GBCE)

CHORUS (also play through twice):
A7 (AC#EG)
F6/A (ACDF)
G7 (GBDF)
G6/11 (GBCE)

I'm not sure how my chord lookup software decides what to name them. Like, the one that they call G6/11 (with the notes GBCE) is much better known as Cmaj7.

Okay folks, it's time for a good stiff mug of chamomile/skullcap/lavender tea since I've been awake for 43 hours and don't feel any signs of slowing down yet 8o

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

I'm gonna play your chord progression soon. :)

Man I woke up to like 4 inches of snow and it's still coming down... and supposed to snow all day and night and never get above freezing even lower down than me. Looks like I probably can't leave my house or see my girlfriend today. :( Tomorrow is Christmas Jam which I have a $65 ticket for and is one of the most fun shows of the year. It's supposed to get up to a max of 35 or 36 degrees tomorrow and that means at my house I'll be very lucky if it goes above freezing. Hope I don't get stuck... although I could probably have a friend with 4 wheel drive come pick me up.

It's pretty but man, snow really screws me sometimes. The price to pay for living on a mountainside... steep driveway, steep road, no 4-wheel drive. And hell I need to get new front tires, I'm in no position to drive in the snow at all. If I would have known this snow storm was coming I would have parked at the bottom of the road, but it said "chance of snow"... I didn't figure that meant 6+ inches. :\

I hate myself for not sinking $1000 into bitcoin two weeks ago. There is an atm where I can do so. Xor...still going up...should I do that tomorrow?

I'd wait a bit to see what it does, it might be stabilizing around 16k for now, or else it's just a hiccup from a bunch of people selling. Check out the up to date value (plus graph of history - you can click options to see shorter and shorter recent times to see detail). I doubt it's gonna fall much even if it is stabilizing right now and I still think it's very likely it will shoot up again when it becomes "legitimately" traded soon. But this might be a local high point. Can't really tell yet.

Man I saved that chord progression into my phone so next time I jam I can work my own thing around it. Sounds pretty chill thanks for sharing. I will probs turn it into something rhythmic and fast paced and funky but how knows what, I just pick up and improvise. Sounds like you had a great two days lol you should try and rest! I haven't been sleeping enough, it is exhausting. Super cool how we are all musicians haha... I have a cool idea for a trio band right now. Just looking for someone who knows piano and can do synth and beats and stuff, with me doing my guitar stuff and my silly friend of 20 years singing about god knows what.

We actually don't talk to each other in english anymore really, we freestyle rap to each other but we say shit that we know actually makes sense to us, and it is making our music come together. I am in hysterics about that, I'll get a random voice message from him about some rap about a weed strain like White Lotus that he loved and is long lost, sounds like a romance song lol, then I'll work with it and hit him back with something and we are just in hysterics all the time. We do this like all day haha. He's like dude you are actually getting really good, and I suppose that I am. I mean, it's all we do, so is he.

You live in more treacherous lands that I dude. I thought everyone here lived in like cali lol, soaking up that sunshine ;) while I freeze my balls off up here. I am way up north, no mountains around but I have lived out west in the rockies before and it was beautiful there.

Yeah if I lived where I grew up this snow would be no thing. But when there are steep roads, it's totally different. And I live just outside of city limits so they don't plow my road, though they do plow the road I turn on at the bottom of my road which is why I'm kicking myself for now parking down there. :X I also just realized that by the end of the weekend I may be out of kerosene (and therefore heat) as well as food. :\

Man... you are living in the past dude. I dig it. That's kind of what I want, but not the mountains. Too hard on my back. Just a nice old stone country home, with an interesting history and character to it that looks a little bit gothic and totally haunted. Not too big, as I would lose everything in it but big enough for a small family. Lots of farmland, raise chickens for eggs and grow all sorts of herbs and vegetables. Maybe distill my own essential oils from stuff I grow as that is part of one of my future business plans. And yeah like have my future business plans nearby, or just within the city so I don't need to be in traffic or anything annoying like that (don't like traffic so much). I like a lot of antique stuff... I want my place to be full of old style lamps and candle light, not electricity. Ancient clocks that chime on the hour and make those nice ticking sounds (I picked up a hobby recently, to fix them up since I was tripping and found a century old one in the darkest corner of my place that is a family heirloom). Grow dope obviously. Definitely want my life to be chill like that and out of the city. If I continue to get my shit together, I can totally have this too since we are in one way or another the creators of our own realities. Man you gotta stop smoking some much MPT and get your car down where it won't be snowed in (kidding, kidding lol)... I am excited to try that one. Super cool how you use kerosene man like I don't know if that is cheap or not, but definitely seems rustic. You are experiencing a crisis haha. You might have to go on a long trek... hope you got snowshoes.

Kerosene is not cheap, it is rustic though, and I didn't choose it, it's what my house came with. I wish I had central heating, or failing that, natural gas (there is no natural gas line to my neighborhood). Really hope I don't run out, it's cold enough that it's on basically constantly. I have no real way of knowing when my tank is gonna go below 10 gallons but below 10 gallons it won't work anymore because the lifter pump can't pull enough in. Kinda stupid, like, couldn't they have extended the pipe a little farther down?

This is an annoyance (unless I run out of heat), not a crisis... the first winter I lived here, the power went out for 4 days because it snowed 16 inches overnight. I couldn't leave, and had no heat, it eventually got down to 34 degrees inside, it was pretty fucked up. Now that was a crisis. I have kerosene heating but the unit is electric. 8)

Dude so you essentially live in a cabin in the mountains... I mean what was I expecting? haha. You should have some sort of backup heating system I mean you could always go start a massive campfire outside. That is some embarassing engineering right there. So essentially ten gallons is being wasted to fill the tank. You could always pour that shit onto a bonfire if you were gonna freeze to death like I don't know if you'd have to siphon it or something but yeah. It's a good thing I guess, that acid seems to raise core body temperature, maybe figure out which psych does that the most... run some experiments. Probably like 2c-t-7 or something lol. Although I have felt freezing cold on acid, from having been skinny dipping in the summer lol. Taking those wet boxers off... in front of my friends like wtf, solid relief right there I thought I was shivering to death haha, just couldn't get comfortable and then I felt free.

I can just see you warming up with chronic and acid outside by some massive campfire at night in the snowy mountains like constantly throwing more wood onto it as the moonlight reflects off the snow (on one of those frigid nights, where there is no cloud cover). Ran out of kerosene again... can't see my girl today haha... hope I live through the night to see her tomorrow. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.