• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC PC Gamers - Whatcha playin?

^ Well, that's true, but it's not like every game released after 2010 uses CryTek-like hyper-realistic graphics. In fact, they're probably in the minority given how many independent studios there are these days. Refusing to play a game just because it's modern or has nice graphics seems silly.

Refusing to play a game that was cranked out in a year and has a lower budget than The Blair Witch Project sounds like a pretty good idea. There wasn't any time put into the game. Minecraft is an exception. I'm not saying that any game made after 2010 is bad, I'm just saying that I'm trying to stay away from mainstream gaming right now.

The only good game series out there right now for me is Grand Theft Auto. In fact, GTA 3 was even pretty good even though it sparked controversy with the churches and priests and the programmers and writers at Rockstar Games.

Last edited:
Refusing to play a game that was cranked out in a year and has a lower budget than The Blair Witch Project sounds like a pretty good idea. There wasn't any time put into the game.

I'm starting to think you don't know what you're talking about. Minecraft is not an exception in the indie game community, it's the rule. It proved that you don't need huge budgets and hyper-realistic graphics (although some of them do now that Unreal, Crytek, and others are making their engines available to indie developers) to make games that are popular, critically successful, and made on a tight budget. Staying away from the typical mainstream output is a good thing for the most part, but to then go ahead and bash the entirety of the indie game community is ridiculous because those are the people driving modern gaming innovation. I think you just have a bias that you haven't examined very closely because, holy shit, there are some amazing things happening in modern gaming. It's like people who say "there is no good music today" - they only believe that because they haven't taken the time to look for the music. Same thing with games. Indie developers don't have the advertising budget that the mainstream companies have, but that doesn't make their product somehow inferior.

Seriously, go to Google and type in "list of best indie games" or something along those lines. That's all it takes. There are FPS's like Natural Selection II (which combines RTS-like strategy and class-based combat) and Primal Carnage (which lets you play as a Dinosaur Hunter or a motherfucking dinosaur), there are innovative and acclaimed platformers like Fez and Guacamelee, there are horror games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Lone Survivor, and there's even been a resurgence of Roguelike RPGS like FTL and The Binding of Isaac. Any kind of game you can think of, is either already out or in development. At this point in gaming history, there are far more indie studios pumping out quality work than there are Major studios pumping out the same old stuff year-to-year, you just hear more about games from publishers like EA or Ubisoft than you do 99% of indie developers (Mojang being that 1% ). If you like video games, there's absolutely no reason to turn a blind eye to the indie scene because that's where the true quality and innovation is coming from these days.

Last edited:
Been getting back into single player pc games recently

Just finished mass effect 3, it was pretty sweet. Im not really into shooters but this one was jsut enough of an RPG to keep me interested.

Started Bioshock Infinite tonight. My computer was close to top of the line a few years ago and even it cant handle the amazing graphics on this game. It still looks really really good, but some of the screenshots ive seen of it are incredible. The game is much more about the narrative of the story than anything, and its executed extremely well.

If you like video games, there's absolutely no reason to turn a blind eye to the indie scene because that's where the true quality and innovation is coming from these days.

Have to agree with this.

I think indie development is flourishing precisely because they're making the games that the mainstream dev houses can't take the risk on.

Indie development is usually as a result of a small number of people trying to make a game that they personally feel passionate about. Something that they believe people will understand and, eventually, pay money for.

Mainstream houses can't operate with that level of faith... so they revert to the formulaic routines that may look like a proven and safer bet, but are often lost to obscurity in an already saturated market.

If i had a computer i would be playing Arma 2 Dayz mod for sure.

the game is INSANE,and terraria,i play that on xbox

If i had a computer i would be playing Arma 2 Dayz mod for sure.

the game is INSANE,and terraria,i play that on xbox

funny, i just started playing it again today after like 4 months

the DayZ standalone looks like it'll be great.
won't be out until at least June.

im so jealous...wish ic ould play arma 2 and 3 in general

and dayz..been watching youtube videos...they look like really intense games

Doom II. Such a classic FPS. Somewhat easy but very fun and extremely gory. It's only fun if you let it be fun.

Doom_II_-_Hell_on_Earth_Coverart.png
9-1302_2.png
Map09_oh_noes_two_elementals.png
DOOM2_ingame_1.png

Last edited:
^ It's a screen from Marathon, one of Bungie's first games (which is why the Assault Rifle looks familiar). It actually pre-dates Half Life by about 4 years.

Can anyone recommend any games for chilling, playing with a laptop on the couch. i dont want anything twitchy like super meat boy, something more laid back like limbo, defense grid, or terraria.

im thinking maybe the sims, magicka, bastion... maybe even portal.

just bought GTA IV: Ballad of Gay Tony, finally.

EDIT: idk why i posted this here i got it for 360.

Last edited: