• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opium poppy shelf life?

Yeah it looks like you may be correct.

However, obviously it becomes illegal if you extract the alkaloids from that straw and process them into opium or heroin.

But what about all the scenarios in between?

What about if the straw is sold for it's high alkaloid content with seller knowing the buyers intend to extract those alkaloids? Either by making a tea, or some more advanced processing.

Why don't these online pod retailers stay in business for very long?

Those sellers advertising their pods as being great for making 'special brews' etc or anything even more explicit about high alklaoids for strong brews, are surely skating on very thin ice, legally?

How can dried poppy pods, without the stems, be sold for "arts and crafts"? That seems ridiculous to me, as it's pretty difficult to do dried flower arranging with no stems to work with? :ROFLMAO: Would that consitute a legal case?

What if the pods have next to no alkaloids? As in the ornamental varieties.

Making a tea out of home grown or purchased pods would also be incredibly difficult for LE to charge anyone for, I'd imagine. As you'd have to be caught in the act of making the brew and drinking it?

So many questions and ambiguities though. (I'm not expecting you to have all the answers, but many of these questions are puzzling me.)

Things seem much more straight forward in terms of growing. You can legally grow any strain but it's illegal to extract the raw opium. Simple. I think it may even be illegal to grow with the intent of doing that. But unless you had opium stained razor blades or something like that, intent could never be proved?

That guy selling the pods seemed to be pretty well established - he was going for years - maybe he just got sick of doing it? Would that change in the law regarding legal highs affect him? The thing about not being able to sell anything psychoactive? He was pretty obvious about it - "a particularly STRONG batch of turkish hens and chicks".

The only person I've ever known get busted for opium tea was ironically enough Jim Hogshire - that guy who wrote Opium for the masses. The cops burst in and found him in y-fronts drinking enough poppy tea to stun a charging silverback gorilla. The house was filled with thousands of poppy pods or some shit.

Why do you prefer poppy pods tho Bleaney? Is it a nicer high than H?

That guy selling the pods seemed to be pretty well established - he was going for years - maybe he just got sick of doing it? Would that change in the law regarding legal highs affect him? The thing about not being able to sell anything psychoactive? He was pretty obvious about it - "a particularly STRONG batch of turkish hens and chicks".

The only person I've ever known get busted for opium tea was ironically enough Jim Hogshire - that guy who wrote Opium for the masses. The cops burst in and found him in y-fronts drinking enough poppy tea to stun a charging silverback gorilla. The house was filled with thousands of poppy pods or some shit.

Why do you prefer poppy pods tho Bleaney? Is it a nicer high than H?
The NPS Act didn't seem to encompass 'natural products'. Eg kratom wasn't caught under that Act, and some other messy legislation has banned the import and sale etc, but not posession it seems. And the situation regarding poppy pods seems even more messy to me.

It is extremely ironic indeed that Jim Hogshire got busted for poppy pods. (LE probably really wanted to bust him for something, due to him having written and published that highly subversive book! ) I also have a copy of said book, and don't quite agree with his frequent assertion about how it's 'a simple process that anyone can follow to turn poppy pods into heroin.' But still it's a good read.

There was actually a video on youtube a while ago (I think it's been taken down now) of some guy brewing up poppy pod tar, which I think was extremely close to opium, and his method was very straight forward.

Most people would say that the poppy pod high, even from potent strains, is not as rounded or full as a heroin high. Some people might disagree with that though, as there are so many alkaloids in poppy tea. But I have a long list of reasons why I don't want to be getting into heroin, and a long list of reasons why poppy pods are easier for me to manage (mainly considering the current lack of commercial availability of potent strains (or any strains at all for that matter, since the last few weeks, but there are other reasons too.)

Last edited:
Yeah I've only really had mild effects. I'm talking British poppies. They grow like weeds in the summer. Sorry I was a bit high when I started this thread, they don't start coming up properly until June/July/August really.

I was more wondering about the issue of mould.
A certain percentage do go mouldy inside and have to be discarded. Maybe 5-10%

Up until recently I used to buy the pods cheaply by the sackful and store them in a dry place. I am down to my last 2 bags of a batch I purcahsed In Jan 2022. The mould issue has not got any worse over those 2 years. It seems a certain % just go off and there's nothing you can do about it. But it doesnt spread to other pods and contaminate all of them, as it's only internal to each pod.

Due to courier costs I was in the habit of making one large order every year or so and storing the pods. Was just about getting to the stage of needing to re-order, but have recently discovered that the seller I was using is no longer selling dried pods.

Last edited:
So I'm on Methadone currently, but as were in February now and the poppy pods will begin popping up soon, I was wondering if there is a Safeway of storing them over several months without risking poisoning myself.
So I was thinking of drying and chopping them up, keeping the seeds for either seed yeah it for planting.

Tips.
I used to make tea. I’d dry the pods until I was ready to use them and just pull them out of a box in my pantry. I made some really good tea back then- and my tolerance wasn’t that of a degenerate like it is right now 🤦‍♂️. It was beautiful though and that stuff lasted a really long time. Felt like 12 hrs. Coming off it if you did more than a day or two was not the most fun though.
I also did an alcohol extraction and made a super potent concentrate. The prob was it was potent and scared me having no way to accurately measure a dose since I had no idea how pure it was after ea batch so I discontinued the concentrate.