• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ohio State psychiatrist says drug addicts are no longer the people you love

Of course. Ultimately we are the ones who decided to take the drugs and must be the ones to decide to stop. But in the depths of addiction many really dont have a choice. Its get high or suffer. But that is the perspective of the addict. This story is full of misinformation but I understand what the quote is saying. He is speaking not to those addicted, but those who are close to addicts saying you need to curb your preconceived notions about addiction and realize you are dealing with something that logic and reason and plain common sense no longer applies.

Everyone is missing the point on that. He is not saying he is not your brother but a changed person that you must realize is no longer at fault for his addiction.

I suppose I didn't consider that. Either way the guy still sounds like an asshole.

Of course. Ultimately we are the ones who decided to take the drugs and must be the ones to decide to stop. But in the depths of addiction many really dont have a choice. Its get high or suffer. But that is the perspective of the addict. This story is full of misinformation but I understand what the quote is saying. He is speaking not to those addicted, but those who are close to addicts saying you need to curb your preconceived notions about addiction and realize you are dealing with something that logic and reason and plain common sense no longer applies.

See this makes sense. I did some horrible things during my addiction that I normally would not do. I don't believe that people should deal with addicts with kid gloves though. It keeps people in their sickness if you make it okay for them to use, and use you at the same time. My dad was an addict growing up...I guess that really shaped the way I feel about this article. He no matter if he is using or not, is just my dad and respect that.

Addiction is certainly no excuse for being a shitty human being, that's for sure.

I'm not saying that anyone is arguing the point of "addiction = an excuse to be a shitty human being"...but...I always retained at least some semblance of "right" and "wrong", even when I was at my lowest depths of depression and drug use. I've never understood the people who just completely discard all of that, honestly, and do really bad things, ostensibly because of their addiction. The people who are willing to shed all of their humanity and empathy in pursuit of a drug...I know that exists but I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Maybe I just never got that bad into drugs, but then again I have a decent track record (no pun intended) of shooting narcotics into my bloodstream...it's pretty hard to claim "I don't have a drug problem, guys, I've got everything under control! I just like to shoot up every once in a while, no biggie!"

Whenever someone has screwed me over in a drug addiction-related way, part of me understands it a little bit but part of me also entertains the idea that the abhorrent shit they did was latent in their entire personality the whole time, and all drugs did was make it EMERGE...that's why it's hard for me to trust people ever again after I witness something very objectionable in the way they acted towards me, even if there's a plausible explanation for their actions

Absolutely. There are hardcore drug addicts who absolutely will not cross certain lines because that is just who they are, they can maintain at least some control. Those who do, the drugs are definitely a factor and it's typically out of desperation, denial, blinded by their own pain. It's a complex issue for sure. These kind of things are seen in non-addicts as well. People can be non-violent or violent, chronic cheaters or faithful no matter what etc.