Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ohio State psychiatrist says drug addicts are no longer the people you love

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Ohio State psychiatrist says drug addicts are no longer the people you love
By Alan Johnson
The Columbus Dispatch • Sunday October 26, 2014

These rats are addicts and will do anything to feed their habit.

They do that by tapping a tiny bar in their cage, which sends a signal to electrodes that were inserted into the part of the brain affected by drugs. Each tap brings a jolt of pleasure, a high of sorts.

Tap, tap, tap.

The rats tap the bar over and over. They don’t stop to eat, drink, rest or even have sex. They continue to tap the bar and feed their addiction until they die.

Scientists made getting high even more challenging by forcing the rats to cross an electrified grid to get to the bar.

The result was the same: The addiction overwhelmed their survival instinct.

Dr. Brad Lander, clinical director of addiction psychiatry at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center, uses a video of these rats in a presentation.

Rats are not people, Lander said, but the principle is the same: Addiction, without treatment, can kill.

Lander’s presentation, given earlier this year to a packed house of judges, law-enforcement officers and treatment professionals at a statewide opiate conference in Columbus, shines a light on the science of addiction.

Those who see it might never again say to an addicted family member, Why can’t you just quit?

Lander shows how addiction makes fundamental chemical changes to a part of the brain called the nucleus accumbens, the pleasure center and reward circuit — the place where drug addiction lives.

That’s why, Lander emphasizes, the addict in front of you is no longer your son or daughter. His or her brain has been substantively changed by addiction, whether it involves prescription painkillers, cocaine or heroin.

The addict’s perception of the world is dramatically altered, much like that of the person who’s had too many drinks at a party but insists that he or she is sober enough to drive home. It’s obvious to other guests that that is not true, but that’s not how the inebriated person sees the world.

“Our biggest problem is not them; it’s ourselves,” Lander said. “We want them to just quit, and they can’t, so we become frustrated with how they behave.

“It helps when you realize the addict or the alcoholic is always doing the best they can. These aren’t bad people. If they could do better, they would.”

Addiction is a chronic disease
Lander has been refining his approach to the science of addiction for 25 years. What began as diagrams on a blackboard now incorporates photos, graphics and the rat video in a presentation he calls “Understanding Addiction: Squirrel Logic.”

He said humans have what amounts to a squirrel brain inside their own brain.

“Your squirrel brain wants what it wants, when it wants it,” he said. “It doesn’t understand future. It doesn’t understand consequences. It doesn’t understand the impact of its behavior. It wants to run, it wants to jump, it wants to hit, it wants to scream.”

While working at a veterans hospital, Lander grew to understand the incredible power of the brain.

“People would talk about feeling pain in a foot when they didn’t even have a leg,” he said. “The reality of the limb is in the brain, not in the limb itself.

“We think we control everything we do, but when you come down to the molecules, it’s based on chemistry,” Lander said. “Once you realize you are powerless over molecules and you are not the master of the universe, it’s very freeing.”

Your brain on drugs
The blood-brain barrier, which normally does a good job of screening out harmful toxins, allows tiny molecules of alcohol, marijuana, opiates and other drugs to slip into the brain.

There, drugs affect two chemical messengers: They produce a flood of dopamine, which generates a feeling of euphoria and inhibits the brain’s ability to absorb serotonin, which helps control a wide range of emotions.

Even one dose of a drug affects the brain; continued use can produce devastating results.

“There’s no such thing as a little cocaine or crack use,” Lander said. “This is going to affect you for a significant period of time.”

Memory is a victim
“What you see and what you believe is not necessarily what is going on out there,” Lander said.

“Short-term memory is converted or ‘downloaded’ to long-term memory while we sleep. Since people using drugs don’t sleep well or very long, their memory doesn’t download. So when they say they don’t remember what they did while they were high, they really don’t remember.”

Brain-scan images show shocking results. An energy scan of a brain shows a cratered surface after a single use of opiates; the brain of a long-term user is riddled with holes. Similarly, scans depicting overall brain activity show a significant drop with continued drug use. Frequently, the result is cognitive difficulties.

Although the brain eventually recovers after drug use stops — with the exception of alcohol abuse, which actually kills brain cells — perception, learning, impulse control and judgment are severely affected.

“The brain interprets drugs and alcohol as a new environment and begins to make changes in response,” Lander said. “It disconnects and reconnects some nerve cells.

“The brain is now convinced it needs drugs the same way it needs food, water and sex.”

Inside the addict’s mind

continued here http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/insight/2014/10/26/01-mind-control.html

...............................................................................................................................................

This guy is on the right track.. but he has totally missed the boat on quite a few concepts. 20century and early 21ist century Psychiatry is stock full of blood letting.

the brain of a long-term user is riddled with holes.

Kinda like this theory.

The title to this piece is awful and shows the stigmatism we still face.

Last edited:
It's always good to know what some people really think of you.

This is kind of true of most of the girls I've dated though.

for a psychiatrist, speaking about neuroscience, he doesn't appear to have a very strong grasp of the science he's trying to present. and i say that while, in many ways, agreeing with most of his general premises.

I know this a old thread, but I think opiates make me a better person sometimes. They help me come out of my shell, kill my anxiety, and let me be able to deal with almost any situation that I am put in. Pretty much everyone I know loves to be around me when I am on opiates. Disagree with this psychiatrist big time.

And what, how often, and how much opiate do you use 614boi? You sound like you may be one to regret these words in the future.

I know this a old thread, but I think opiates make me a better person sometimes. They help me come out of my shell, kill my anxiety, and let me be able to deal with almost any situation that I am put in. Pretty much everyone I know loves to be around me when I am on opiates. Disagree with this psychiatrist big time.

Sooner or later, you'll have to up your dose in order to feel sufficiently "out of your shell" - it sucks big time, but that's the nature of our brain which is constantly adapting to its environment (without this adaptation, we'd be screwed).

Anyways, good luck and stay safe (above all, do not combine your opioids with booze - it's a surefire way to end up in the ER because your lowered inhibitions from drinking can quickly result in you upping your dose and somehow thinking everything is gonna be alright when it's probably not).

Just my two cents.

Putting caged rats in these barbaric existential dilemmas like crossing the electrified grid to get a brain fix isn't science that convinces me of anything except perhaps that some scientists are assholes. If you degrade a person to monkey meat then point your finger and say, see, they behave like monkey meat, well, I suppose, you've won the argument, but one you've manufactured in your own sick mind, not the persons mind.

It's pretty disgusting actually. I'd be more favorably persuaded if you took these studies out of some frankenfucks science-dungeon and out into the wild. Take a well studied ecosystem of animals in nature and introduce cocaine springs or something of that nature, a place where animals can go to get high. That's all. Then study how the ecosystem changes. Perhaps then we could make some more realistic conclusions from these studies. Otherwise shit don't apply to me. I'm being directed by different imperatives than some Saw movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theyve done that in the lab too and what do you know, animals dont choose drugs.

Theyve done that in the lab too and what do you know, animals dont choose drugs.

I know right? Turns out that if you at least try to facilitate a comforting place for the ratunkies to live their lives, they have an unsettling tendency to stop dosing well before a lethal amount is consumed. Mind = blown.

Makes me wonder about our species though.

Lol ratunkies. I just got that.

Animals are a lot like humans in that they will sometimes respond to stress by consuming drugs. One interesting example of this that occurred outside the lab took place when the US was carpetbombing southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. Supposedly the water buffalo in that region began to chew on some kind of psychoactive plant that grows in that region (can't remember which one exactly). This was previously unknown behavior for them and when the war ended they stopped.

The problem is that humans experience stress from things that other animals don't, though, and that makes the problem more vexing I think.

Hey Kittycat5, it's me, quietgirl79. I wanted to reply to you in a private message but it will only let me send one private message every 180 minutes. He did go to the ER and he had a cluster headache (Caused by the drugs). He did too much, basically. I want to thank you for your advice and for taking the time out of your night to try and help a very scared person. I really appreciate it.

I will say a few words... I like the direction this thread has taken. However, regarding the original article posted I have some views that I should keep to myself.