• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids OD warning signs?

SimplyTrinity

Bluelighter
I always hear these stories of people dying with the needle still in their arm. Does this mean their systems literally shut down after injecting??

I don’t do heroin but I pop percs. I always get worried several hours later that if I give into the drowsiness that I might not wake up. Is there a window of time after taking the pill that you’re in the clear from dying from it? Like can an OD onset be delayed and happen 3 hours later? 6 hours? 8 hours?

would be good to know for my own anxiety that after a certain window, I can relax and know I’m not gonna die.

Last edited:
Listen for gurgling/snoring noises coming from the mouth. Look at fingertips and fingernails, if you see a blue color, this is an indication of OD. Fixed, pinpoint pupils are also a sign. Teach yourself how to rub on someone's sternum. If you do that hard on a person who is not overdosing, they will grab your hand or at least tell you to stop. Somebody who is overdosing will not respond when you rub hard on their sternum

For me -- with percocet per say there is a diminished ceiling. The closer I get to the overdose threshold, the less high I feel. It's actually almost pure paranoia despite the high that comes with larger amounts. I also have very feint breathing and pale skin.

However, with opioids (unless fent where someone would black out instantly with a huge amount).. usually the user will throw up some of the percocet. Simultaneously nodding in between vomiting. Not that everyone will throw up before passing out, but I'd say most would? Either way, that person would personally feel like absolute crap. Overdosing on oxy does NOT feel good, lol.

*That's why it's so puzzling to me.. why oxycodone kills more people than car crashes and etc. It's a measured item. If someone avoids drinking alcohol or taking benzos like xanax on it--it's actually quite hard to overdose on opioids alone. Food for thought. People must be trying to get so high off of opioids trying to recreate heroin high. Or just underestimate the size of the pill? Unsure and it's probably complicated. As long as you don't combine downers you probably won't have much to worry about on opioids alone. Taking large amounts out of the blue is for weed, not opiates. Xanax/oxycodone is the big culprit of the downer killers in my opinion. Not worth it ever. You might just black out and not wake up from the alprazolam lol. The respiratory depression occurs more-so when one is asleepies.

Last edited:
Great info - thanks for the responses!
Any concerns mixing percs with fluoxetine (Prozac) daily? Relatively low doses of both... 10-15mg perc and 10-20mg Prozac.

Great info - thanks for the responses!
Any concerns mixing percs with fluoxetine (Prozac) daily? Relatively low doses of both... 10-15mg perc and 10-20mg Prozac.

I don't think so. However, others have reported SSRI's to have effects on stimulant/opiate euphoria. As in.. basically "the high is no longer that good." I don't know much about how those medications interact with other drugs... but I do know that when it comes to opioids it helps to know where your tolerance is at (milligram count wise) and then just know that if you miss a couple of days here or there--the percocet will hit you stronger and your overdose resistance will be lower with some time off.

We take opioids for pain relief or because they feel good. If you take too much and don't feel so hot, I've found that to be a complete waste. Opioids are one of the few drugs with such a narrow tolerance window. Take too little? Feel a small buzz going on. Take too much/ You'll have trouble breathing or OD. Other drugs are far more forgiving so I never went past my normal dose much more than 40+ milligrams at a time. Generally stuck to the same dose daily as much as I could with some party days unavoidable for this addiction here and there lol. Fluoxetine causes some people to not feel opiates/stimulants AT ALL.. while others might report barely noticing a difference in other substances being hindered. If fluoxetine blocks opiate euphoria--taking large doses to see if you can still feel it on fluoxetine can easily cause an OD. In a way, the high tells us how close we are to the overdose line.

Ok cool. Yeah less worried about the high not being as good. Want to just make sure I’m not walking into a shit storm of drug interactions I didn’t know about. Pharmacist said no problems but then you can always find some horror story online.
You bring up an interesting point about tolerance after a few days off. Definitely noticed a slight drop off after a few days. More noticeable after 1-2 weeks. Wondering how long do you have to abstain from opioids before it “feels like the first time” again? Does that ever come back? 3 months? 6 months? A year?

Ok cool. Yeah less worried about the high not being as good. Want to just make sure I’m not walking into a shit storm of drug interactions I didn’t know about. Pharmacist said no problems but then you can always find some horror story online.
You bring up an interesting point about tolerance after a few days off. Definitely noticed a slight drop off after a few days. More noticeable after 1-2 weeks. Wondering how long do you have to abstain from opioids before it “feels like the first time” again? Does that ever come back? 3 months? 6 months? A year?
I don't think it will ever feel as good as your first few dope opiate high but a month abstinence should help with tolerance just be careful chasing the high especially if it on your own because if ur anything like me I'm not satisfied until I'm borderline ODing

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP has a good point. When one has a tolerance, it's actually NOT that easy to overdose alone on their opioid of choice.

Most opioid overdoses are from people with low tolerances mixing in benzos and alcohol in with their opioid or getting a bag of "heroin", which turns out to be fentanyl.
So even though the person dies from poly-drug toxicity, it still gets labeled an "opioid overdose".

I used heroin & pain pills for 12+ years and never once overdosed. The closest I came to ever feeling like I did was when I was given fentanyl. It got me curious why I always heard how easy it is to die from heroin, why I never did and then I did my research and realized we've all been lied to.

I also use to have friends who had been doing heroin since the 80's and were now in their 50's and had never overdosed until fentanyl started popping up everywhere and now they are dead.

A 'proper' IV hit is borderline OD. But if no other substances are involved and you have tolerance, then you'll most likely come out of it ok.

But when it really happens, you have fuck all warning except for a feeling of being plugged into an electric socket for a few seconds and then nothing.

What happens afterwards is totally dependent upon the actions of the people you're with...

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP has a good point. When one has a tolerance, it's actually NOT that easy to overdose alone on their opioid of choice.

Most opioid overdoses are from people with low tolerances mixing in benzos and alcohol in with their opioid or getting a bag of "heroin", which turns out to be fentanyl.
So even though the person dies from poly-drug toxicity, it still gets labeled an "opioid overdose".
X
I used heroin & pain pills for 12+ years and never once overdosed. The closest I came to ever feeling like I did was when I was given fentanyl. It got me curious why I always heard how easy it is to die from heroin, why I never did and then I did my research and realized we've all been lied to.

I also use to have friends who had been doing heroin since the 80's and were now in their 50's and had never overdosed until fentanyl started popping up everywhere and now they are dead.
Depends how pure your gear
is most is cut to fuck if an addict actually got relatively pure heroin they would most likely OD

Depends how pure your gear
is most is cut to fuck if an addict actually got relatively pure heroin they would most likely OD

If some one has a tolerance, they are unlikely to overdose out of nowhere just by doing a little extra heroin.

I use to make my dealer give me my heroin uncut, in rock form, so I could control what cuts I used and knew I wasn't being ripped off. I did this for years and years, along with taking pain killers and never once overdosed. Most of the time I rarely used any cuts at all, cause it was just extra damage to my sinuses. Using uncut heroin made my tolerance grow incredibly quick but I still never ODed from it. But I was also smart about my use and rarely mixed heroin with benzos or alcohol (which I think are two of the biggest culprits in OD deaths). I also stuck to intranasal use and never injected my heroin.

A friend of mine some how managed to keep a heroin habit, a klonopin dependency and was an alcoholic, going for 2 years without overdosing. I worried about her all the time and felt guilty as I was the one who introduced her to heroin to begin with. I'm guessing her tolerance to everything played the biggest role here.

I often get into this debate with people on sites all across the internet, because I'm pro-heroin legalization.
If chronic pain patients can handle high doses of opioids for years and years, there's no reason why an addict wouldn't be able to either.

I would actually venture to say the opposite of what you said Higherfocus420, as in, if some one has pure heroin, they at least know they're fucking around with just pure diacetylmorphine, where as people who get bags full of cuts could have toxic chemicals in them or fentanyl (which is an opioid that you actually can OD on pretty easily if you do too much). But it also would depend on the person and how responsible and educated they are on heroin.

If some one is determined enough to overdose, i'm sure it's possible to do too much heroin and get just that. But a person could also overdose on water if they drank too much of it too.

I think it comes down to tolerance and personal responsibility. People who use drugs but take no time to research them (I use to be this way as a teenager) are the ones who are more likely to have adverse outcomes and events. I would love to see drug reform regarding opiates in my lifetime. At least letting people who are already addicts have access to clean & safe heroin.

For those interested in reading more on this topic -

Last edited:
My mate OD'd in my bed while laying next to me. I was watching a movie and he nodded off. then he started snoring badly and having gaps between his breathing, i started elbowing him to stop snoring but no response. Then i slapped him and no response, Then i pored ice cold water over his face and still nothing apart from the snoring and gasping for air. Thats when i knew this ws bad and phoned the paramedics. They got there just in time to give him a shot and as soon as they did he woke up and flipped out, getting all crazy and manic. They then had to strap him down and then took him to the hospital. Guess what im trying to say is that if you don't have someone with you or monitoring you then the outcome can be on the negative side if you know what i mean. I was still giving my mate cpr while i was waiting for the paramedics just to keep his breathing going. Seeing someone od is a scary thing and seeing them die from it is even worse. Think i got a bit off topic but just be careful and like mentioned don't mix drugs if you not a seasoned vet or have a high tolerance to the meds being used. BUt im sure you will be okay. Just take it slower next time and by that i mean drop your dosages. Plus dosages are important for us to give us some background of you and your use to give a little bit more advise.

But please be safe and also the half life is 2-3hrs, i think if you have made it past that mark you will be fine provided nothing else was added

Well then my question would be if the average user can feel lethargy from 10-15mg do you fight the sleepy feeling? I like OP have a love hate relationship, I love a no tolerance 5mg perc buzz... but when I start raising tolerances and getting to doses of 10-15mg I get sleepy especially in conjunction with marijuana, I do try to potentiate as naturally as possible. Low fat meal an hour before, tums. Don’t use grapefruit there’s no use to, but I guess I’m wondering a two fold question, can you nod the same way you do off H and morphine with oxy? And if so would 10-15mg with some tolerance (was taking multiple times daily usually 10- 12.5 every 3.2 hours, is that close to fatal levels as much as y’all can tell? I do it every 3.2 as that’s it’s half life if I screw up with my metabolism that’s on me please don’t recreate what I do.. but I’m wondering the same thing as OP. I got some banging ass kratom that I caught a killer nod off of, red Lyda amazing! I love it cause I don’t worry about respiratory depression as much as oxy.

My mate OD'd in my bed while laying next to me. I was watching a movie and he nodded off. then he started snoring badly and having gaps between his breathing, i started elbowing him to stop snoring but no response. Then i slapped him and no response, Then i pored ice cold water over his face and still nothing apart from the snoring and gasping for air. Thats when i knew this ws bad and phoned the paramedics. They got there just in time to give him a shot and as soon as they did he woke up and flipped out, getting all crazy and manic. They then had to strap him down and then took him to the hospital. Guess what im trying to say is that if you don't have someone with you or monitoring you then the outcome can be on the negative side if you know what i mean. I was still giving my mate cpr while i was waiting for the paramedics just to keep his breathing going. Seeing someone od is a scary thing and seeing them die from it is even worse. Think i got a bit off topic but just be careful and like mentioned don't mix drugs if you not a seasoned vet or have a high tolerance to the meds being used. BUt im sure you will be okay. Just take it slower next time and by that i mean drop your dosages. Plus dosages are important for us to give us some background of you and your use to give a little bit more advise.

But please be safe and also the half life is 2-3hrs, i think if you have made it past that mark you will be fine provided nothing else was added
I’m sorry you had to go through with that:/

The only times I’ve ever overdosed benzos and alcohol were involved, all 3 together actually. I did that almost daily for the last year or so of my addiction. Literally was unconscious for like a 1/3 of my day out of bed and awake. I was chasing the nod hard when heroin stopped providing it for me. I only overdosed when I got clean for a little while and then went back and still drank and ate benzos before I shot dope. Out like a fucking light. I was pretty reckless and got extremely lucky. This is an extremely dangerous combo, probably more so than speedballs even, which I was also into. Even just any two of those substances together can be deadly. I would definitely agree that, other than fentanyl, benzos and/or alcohol are probably involved in the majority of heroin OD’s.

The only times I’ve ever overdosed benzos and alcohol were involved, all 3 together actually. I did that almost daily for the last year or so of my addiction. Literally was unconscious for like a 1/3 of my day out of bed and awake. I was chasing the nod hard when heroin stopped providing it for me. I only overdosed when I got clean for a little while and then went back and still drank and ate benzos before I shot dope. Out like a fucking light. I was pretty reckless and got extremely lucky. This is an extremely dangerous combo, probably more so than speedballs even, which I was also into. Even just any two of those substances together can be deadly. I would definitely agree that, other than fentanyl, benzos and/or alcohol are probably involved in the majority of heroin OD’s.
Glad you're still with us man!

I think I got lucky because for one, I didn't inject my heroin. Two, I always did a tester bump to see how potent it was before going all in. And finally, whenever I had heroin (good heroin) I was satisfied and didn't feel the need to drink alcohol. I would occasionally and rarely take a low dose benzo, but generally heroin knocked my anxiety out enough to where I didn't feel I needed to throw anything else ontop of it. Same with pain pills. Therefore I never overdosed.

I see a lot of people trying to refute me by saying they've watched their friends OD on heroin, but they had no way of knowing what else their friend had in their system at the time or if there was fent in the heroin. Unless they were not habitual users, it just doesn't make sense to me why some one who uses heroin would suddenly overdose out of no where, with no other causes, unless they used a massive dose, which the link I provided further up did a study where patients on methadone were able to survive high overdoses of heroin and came out just fine.

sorry i don't have time to read all the reviews now, but can abstinence from oxy or tramadol be replaced by each other and clonazepam help? I took oxy for 2 months almost every day and I feel a slight depression and desire to take it again, tramadol is more within my reach, does it really last that long to be eager to use it?

sorry i don't have time to read all the reviews now, but can abstinence from oxy or tramadol be replaced by each other and clonazepam help? I took oxy for 2 months almost every day and I feel a slight depression and desire to take it again, tramadol is more within my reach, does it really last that long to be eager to use it?

Hey andrek.. sorry you don't feel good. This is only the beginning though... lol. Hopefully you never know what those words mean. "Not feeling well" is a blessing.

Tramadol is considered safer by the US medical industry, but in my opinion it has a seizure component in higher doses (unlike percocet/oxy) and you don't want to abuse tramadol. In some ways, I feel like oxy is recreationally safer because users feel feint breath when they've taken too much. With tramadol, you could pass the limit and black out from a seizure. Obviously, the tramadol doses need to be well above average but its still good to mention.

I would never combine benzos/painkillers as they potentiate death. This combo has killed many (klonopin/oxy for example) and tramadol would not be that much safer to combine with klonopin. Sorry. I really recommend never mixing the two.

Hey andrek.. sorry you don't feel good. This is only the beginning though... lol. Hopefully you never know what those words mean. "Not feeling well" is a blessing.

Tramadol is considered safer by the US medical industry, but in my opinion it has a seizure component in higher doses (unlike percocet/oxy) and you don't want to abuse tramadol. In some ways, I feel like oxy is recreationally safer because users feel feint breath when they've taken too much. With tramadol, you could pass the limit and black out from a seizure. Obviously, the tramadol doses need to be well above average but its still good to mention.

I would never combine benzos/painkillers as they potentiate death. This combo has killed many (klonopin/oxy for example) and tramadol would not be that much safer to combine with klonopin. Sorry. I really recommend never mixing the two.
i have a lot of tolerance of clonazepam and take safe for times, i just missing the oxycodone feeling, because i'm out of prescription, my drug combos are very dangerous i know, but i know my doses.