• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Occasional and controlled heroin use

Doesn't look like it has been published in a peer-reviewed format anywhere... I wonder why? Their subjective use of terminology would get ravaged in any addiction journal I know off...

Someone pass the science...

I read a bit of it and got the impression it was put together by sociologists. From what little I know of taking sociology classes, equivocation is the name of the game. I would like to see someone publish something that was academically rigorous with respect to this though.

I'd say that it's such a rare breed that you'd have difficulty getting a large enough sample population - nearly everyone I've known who's tried 'controlled occasional use' of illicit heroin slips up and ends up with a dependance. It might take a couple of years, but it'll happen. The only true occasional use is by people who have a very occasional & unreliable source...

fastandbulbous said:
I'd say that it's such a rare breed that you'd have difficulty getting a large enough sample population - nearly everyone I've known who's tried 'controlled occasional use' of illicit heroin slips up and ends up with a dependance. It might take a couple of years, but it'll happen. The only true occasional use is by people who have a very occasional & unreliable source...

I have many reliable and great sources and have been using for 2 and half years along with my brother. Neither of us have developed a physical dependence or have mantained a significant psychological dependence. I go weeks at a time without using until I feel that I am ready to again. I think it mostly about self control and why you are using the drug in the first place. I completely disagree with your last sentence. You would have to know every single heroin user on the earth to say that truthfully.

I take no pleasure in saying this, but just wait - you will eventually find yourself enslaved to a harsh mistress. All it takes is a personal tragedy to push you into dependant use. I don't think you need to know every heroin user on the face of the planet, all you have to do is to know a big enough sample of heroin users for long enough

fastandbulbous said:
I take no pleasure in saying this, but just wait - you will eventually find yourself enslaved to a harsh mistress. All it takes is a personal tragedy to push you into dependant use. I don't think you need to know every heroin user on the face of the planet, all you have to do is to know a big enough sample of heroin users for long enough

Oh come on it's rediculous to suggest that every heroin user will eventually become dependant. What you are suggesting is that nobody has the ability or self control to mantain an 'every now and then' usage. I did, for years, after a while I got bored and have rarely touched it since.

Last edited:
Well I've never personally known or known of an occasional heroin user who never had at least one episode of stepping over the threshold into dependant use at least once

fastandbulbous said:
Well I've never personally known or known of an occasional heroin user who never had at least one episode of stepping over the threshold into dependant use at least once

Well you do now :p =D

While I agree that finding a reasonable sample of occasional heroin users isn't really going to be possible, I'm not convinced that addiction to heroin is qualitatively different from any other drug dependence. From what little I know of studying addiction, it seems to be about 1% physiological dependence, and 99% psychological. You don't run into too many heroin addicts who took a long time to quit because they just could never handle the initial cold turkey, most I know quit several times but went back every time for psychological reasons. On that level I see it as no different from addiction to any other very pleasurable drug. For example, I know plenty of people who use cocaine occasionally.

It is really impossible for anyone to understand opiate addiction without having been through it. The same can be said of psychedelics...unless you have been there you just don't know.

MONSTA!! said:
Well you do now :p =D

I've know people with that attitude, but eventually they were all seduced by the children of the poppy...

I've been there myself and know just how easy it is to slip into such a condition before you even know it. I mean you're 21 years old. If you could say at age 30 that you've had many years of occasional, non-dependant heroin use then I'd say,"yes, you're a first", but as far as I can see you haven't been involved with it for that long to be able to claim yourself as a sucessful, non-addicted user. I used occasioonal opiates for 9 years before I slipped and ended up dependant for 3 months and among the people I know, I was the last one to be seduced...

ive been there.. so have many of my friends. I have yet to see someone use it occasionally without getting hooked.

Im addicted to hydrocodone, and have been for a year. I know that H would be my favorite drug ever but i know i just cant slip up, i know that once i do it im fucked, im FUCKED, i dont care what people say about " be strong" and its all in the person, its not, once you do it your gonna fuck up down the road when you know what high your missing. If your an opiate kind of person that is.

just a ramble

The original work on this subject is Zinberg 1984 "Drug, Set and Setting - the basis controlled substance use". You can read a bit at
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/zinberg.htm

fastandbulbous - I agree with you about the scarcity of long term controlled heroin users. Zinberg suggests that this is as much to do with the culture in which drug use is situated, as the drug itself. Not to mention the expectations of the person using heroin. Let's not predict doom for MONSTA etc - if they're not planning to stop, better to give them some tips on how to guard against dependant use.

^ Yes, but you've got to be realistic about the chances of becoming dependant after long term contact with the drug & associated scene

i.ve been anbe to use recreationally for the last 10 years without getting a full habit again.the year before that i had ended up chasing upwards of half a gram a day just to stop me from being sick.if you dont use any more often than once every 7 days then i think its quite possible to enjoy heroin without it developing into an addiction.yesterday was my first chase in 2 months and there was no problerm with abstaining at all. `

There are a few people in your situation Serpent, I think. The thing is - you had to deal with a habit first, before you could get your head around controlled use.

What tips would you have for MONSTA et al to help them keep to controlled use, without ever getting a habit?

^do it once every few weeks, at the the very most. That's much easier said than done, of course.

^ for sure - because someone comes round and says "I got some", or etc etc. So how do you plan for those circumstances, so what you do then is the same as what you planned to do the week before when you made your rule "only every second week"?