• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Not getting high off ketamine

Ketamine is incredibly safe and is useful tool now especially for sedation and intubation in clinical settings. It’s especially useful for children during sedation as it’s a much more tolerable sedative for them.
and that's a doses several times recreational doses. For an average-sized male, ketamine for anesthesia starts at 800mg. And its' at these dosage levels that anesthesiologists are making the statements about how safe and reliable ketamine is. Unlike standard anesthesia, it doesn't cause blood pressure side effects. It's the safer alternative. And often, kinda cynically, medical pros consider memory deficits from these doses to be an advantage. I'm mean, any unpleasant experiences immediately before and after surgery are effectively wiped from the patient's memory. Especially good if there's the very rare case of the patient waking up too early!

Actually ketamine is much more likely to be IV than IM as a surgical anesthetic. My personal experience of IV ketamine, is that it's inferior to IM, unlike any other recreational drug I know of. For me, it's like the drug runs through my system before my brain has a chance to create a k-hole dream. As if the brain needs extra time to build up a fantasy world. Maybe it's related to the phenomenon described by Xorcoth that feel plugging is better than vaping. Note, most of my IV ketamine experiences where medical, where it was combined with a benzo, so that may skew my personal experiences. Still, I've heard others say similar things here on bluelight, that IM ket and MXE trips are superior to IV ones.

You can't get high off of K if you have benzos in your system. Believe me, if you've had xanax the night before, you can't get high.

I do get high off K but never ever managed to reach the famous hole. Had plenty of floating experiences with eyes closed yet always remembering my body and this heavily interferes with the experience. No colorful visuals besides early DXM (guess it's the venlafaxine SNRI to blame). Never ever the slightest hint of physical incapatition again besides early DXM robo walk and yeah I hit anesthetic levels multiple times with the more potent analogues like MXE or DCK, never with K though as this one begins to feel very toxic when overdone with tolerance (wayy below 800mg, and I heavily suspect this number is wrong for IV but I'm not sure. I'd certainly need shitloads to reach anesthesia and hope to never need surgery..) When doing too much of these analogues I'd just pass out without warning, similar to an opioid or benzo overdose without the physical dangers and wake up again some hours later with a bit of confusion.

@Mr.Dopamine yeah, K undergoes extensive first pass converting it to the less dissociative and more toxic norketamine. This is why insufflation tends to be good, this way you avoid the first pass. Never used needles though so can't compare, nasal doses tend to be higher than injected ones strangely.

@Tylerdurden is probably right even when benzos don't necessarily abort a dissociative trip but they do blunt the experience. In medicine, ketamine is usually used together with a benzo to avoid psychoactive effects.

Thanks for your feedback on making a nasal spray. Now I have some questions about liquid ketamine I have acquired.

It appears that they are sealed in a sterile container - similar to what you would find from a pharmacy, but there appears to be dust and other floating follicles in the liquid. Is this any concern? Can I assume that this implies that the content is not sterile? If so, any suggestions for ensuring that the contents are sterile? I don't have any experience with im injection....

I'll say that even though I've gotten surprisingly good at finding my K drip spittoon while stuck locked in another dimension some still seems to make it to my gut, at least going by the nasty K burps I get afterwards :ROFLMAO:. Nothing like piss and burps reeking of K for a few days after a binge. I can't imagine taking it orally, blech. When I used to swallow my drip it reliably made bladder irritation much worse.

I've been trying grapefruit juice with mixed results, I can't really tell if it does much or if it feels more toxic or less toxic on the body.

One of my tricks that does seem to help potentiate visuals and mitigate the hangover a little is popping a B complex AND a flushing niacin suppliment, if the flushing doesn't bother you. Also a vegetable and nutrient-rich diet leading up to usage. Piracetam and ALCAR remove a lot of K's desirable effects, theanine is less severe but also doesn't do it any favors.
Yeah, piracetam is kind of the antidote of choice against dissociatives. I've thought of all the racetams working this way but apparently aniracetam even potentiates the visuals. I've made a thread about that in Ns&PD, Disso & Racetam Interactions which led to an interesting discussion btw :)

Ever only heard about grapefruit juice in combination with that wicked DXM, but need to read up about K metabolism ... strange that many people tend to dislike the drip of arylcyclohexylamines but do things like chew morphine XR pills, to me morphine is much more disgusting but guess it's individually dependent. A good thing about the more, but not excessively potent RC dissos like DCK is that the small amount will almost fully be absorbed by the nasal tissue. Indeed swallowed K is the worst for the bladder, don't really know why because the metabolism should be same, just with a heavy first pass effect. Maybe leads to a faster, heavier accumulation of norketamine, or - more worrying - you just don't feel the pain when the K hits the brain first as it is a strong painkiller on its own..

There came the interesting point up that this toxicity is putatively mediated by nicotinergic actetylcholine receptor alpha 7, for which some antagonists exist. DXM is one, memantine too for example but these are both dissos which will interact heavily. Had some pretty nice unique experiences with combining dissos but also some very very weird psychotomimetic ones (these tend to involve an opioid though). If you like DXM, you could try something like a low-medium "2nd plateau" or e.g. 250mg? and if the trip comes smooth, add some K :) some people also do N2O on DXM so guess it's not really dangerous, at least not physically. This a nice thing about the dissos too, it's almost impossible to dangerously overdose with DXM being an exception cause of its intense SNRI activity.
Memantine indeed abolishes the irritation, at least the remaining bits of it, I never combined recently as the psychotomimetic features of the last times (specifically weird auditory phenomen which, with increasing dose of morphine, grew into something like whispers and multiple streams of thought.. almost completely disappeared upon quitting the morph but still scary as hell, for some time I've thought of having fried my brain and this as somebody who usually thinks that feelings of drain bamage being War on Drugs fueled hypochondria.. but I've seen psychotic/so-called shizo people in person, and it's nothing I'd wish to anybody besides these docs and corps making billions with shitty toxic and in many cases useless antipsychotics, and similar folks.)

May I ask at which point you've noticed the bladder irritation, was it just after a few trips or after heavy use of K? Does it go away with abstainance, and come back immediately or do you feel your body recovers with time?
The more potent ones are certainly less taxing, and even when it's obvious, stay well hydrated during and after dissotripping. They mask the sense of hunger and thirst sometimes completely and can dehydrate you.. I think I had the worst bladder irritation in reckless times when I didn't care about my health.. it partially heals over months but will always come back pretty quick, but thankfully it's just minor irritaton / frequent urge to pee but no real pain at the moment and stayed for this pretty some time now.

Thanks for your feedback on making a nasal spray. Now I have some questions about liquid ketamine I have acquired.

It appears that they are sealed in a sterile container - similar to what you would find from a pharmacy, but there appears to be dust and other floating follicles in the liquid. Is this any concern? Can I assume that this implies that the content is not sterile? If so, any suggestions for ensuring that the contents are sterile? I don't have any experience with im injection....
Umm, first need to say I have no experience with needles either as I am scared of them and see it somehow as a border I don't want to cross but certainly K is one of the exceptions which is tempting to try this route. You might consider plugging, some guys tell it's the most effective non-invasive route but the metabolism of K might well be different.. I've tried N-Ethyl-Ketamine once this way which was a baad mistake as that compound is much more irritating to the tissue, so I didn't continue trying - just morphine some times but only benefit for me was a higher potency but no faster rush or more euphoria than insufflated (my favourite route btw for all lesser irritating substances. K/2F/DCK give an almost instant rush, guess i.m. will even be slower but maybe 1/3 to 1/2 (?) more potent.

Dust inside a sterile vial doesn't sound too good to me somehow :/ You could possibly add a bit of destilled(?) water and cook it for some minutes, then filter. Some people dry K in the microwave to get crystals for snorting, never did that out of lack of access to pharm grade K but it certainly works by putting a plate on top of a water-filled pot and pour the solution on the plate, boil the water and wait until the solution evaporated and you'll be left with crystals. Works at least with morphine. Of course room temperature does the same but much more slow.

Last edited:
Yeah, compared to my binges with sometimes maybe up to 15-20g of arylcyclohexylamines per month and many days in a row your numbers appear to be quite moderate but that's something strange about this issue that it's either widely different between individuals, not really dose dependent or other yet unknown factors involved like liver enzymes or, what I somehow suspect, that certain impurities are heavily toxic but as they might be of similar structure (like not fully reacted reagents), share the same toxicity but being much more potent, so making it hard to grasp.

There were a few bad batches of DCK with Chinese origin circulating, that had additional worrying physical effects that built up over time so indicating an awful long half life thus much time to do their work.. While there is no certainity of course, but my bladder related issues showed up with these batches, and at least two or three other members here reported the same. While MXE, 2F-DCK of 3-MeO-PCE for example are almost devoid of them. In the same time I once went though 25g K in maybe 6 weeks resulting in the one and only occurrence of painful 'K cramps' but nothing at all about urination. Similar about kidneys, feels to be at least as much batch as substance related.

Really unfortunate that there is no easy access to precise lab analysis, afaik even Energy Control only compares against a finite database which probably won't contain unknown impurities..

If you have access to memantine, it might be worth a try as this one really mixes well at least with MXE, possibly intensifying the experience a little and does much smoothen the comedown / rebound. Would come handy to have a tool to protect the bladder, moving one of the main concerns about disso use out of the game. Currently it's just a wild guess as then nicotine should cause worsening, which it does for some but not me.

Remember to have read that some individuals had their bladder treated with buprenorphine infusion, probably for pain but I had pretty pronounced anticholinergic effects from it like difficulty peeing, anorgasmia, dry mouth so maybe they found something by coincidence..

I get the same, since these ugly DCK batches were gone, it healed partially and remains on a low level but am still worried of course, who wants to pee in a bottle at last :censored: apparently there are cases of heavy K users who required removement of their bladder but never read an actual report so it remains a bit of a question as we have some pretty heavy users who documented their experiences and strangely it's only the last two or three decades when people really getting issues.. It can't be completely impurity related as at least one paper investigates ppl who received K clinically against pain, also the rats get them top but the former people might have had underlying conditions like cancer or kidney hypofunction and the rats are small animals with very fast metabolism, requiring maybe 12x the human dosage in mg/kg.

--

How pronounced are the aniracetam potentiated visuals? Do you think it could induce some in people like me who only get slight black/grey contures? The only one which ever gave me complex sceneries that I sometimes could manipulate by focusing on some thought was DXM but it was b/w too.

Interesting. The S-isomer is more tolerable as an anesthetic, the R-isomer is more of a recreational drug? I have only ever had racemic K, so I wouldn't know.

Can you provide some study references? I know there's been anecdotal reports, but I've never seen a peer-reviewed study show a similar effect to ketamine.
What?

There are no in vivo studies on olneys lesions in humans in any dissociative anesthetic, including dxm and ketamine, at least at therapeutically relevant doses.
I was wrong. The lower end of this : In 2013 a study using magnetic resonance imaging showed brain lesions in ketamine addicts (using from 0.2g twice a week up to 1g daily for 0.5 up to 12 years) with severity depending on the duration of addiction and daily intake of ketamine. Cortical atrophy and holes in superficial white matter are seen early on. After 4 years of addiction lesions spread throughout the brain and damage is evident in the pons and other deeper brain structures.[10]...
Is not that high dose, and is concerning