or frogger:

frogger,_the_official.png

favourite newer school arcade game was definitely r-type:

RTYP-IPH_EN_656x369_Screenshot02_R2_656x369.jpg

alasdair

Spy hunter on the commodore64!

Man those fit inducing flashing lines when loading the tape deck were awesome

R-type.. good shout Ali..

Played the shit out of Golden Axe. I loved Tron as well.

I remember having a Robin Hood game on cassette, I'll never forget that screeching sound and it failing to load :D

My old man was a desktop purist, consoles were shite as far as he was concerned so I didn't get a console no matter how many times I asked the fat bearded guy - father or father Christmas :)..

Fond pub memories of Pacman, frogger, galaxians, missile command, tank commander (I think, all green vector graphics), asteroids, Star Wars, and another whose name escapes me but it was also vector graphics and you had to blast the aliens in a left/right scrolling landscape before they could come down and abduct your people.
That sounds like Defender -- although that wasn't using vector graphics, just a conventional (but sparse) bit-mapped display. The aliens ("landers") come down and carry the "humans" (which consist of about a dozen pixels) away to the top of the screen; and if they succeed, they turn into mutants. Other aliens were like pods that burst open into loads of tiny spores when hit .....

Then later, all the pubs got various trivia quiz machines. My mates and I managed to memorise enough of the questions and answers to be able consistently to empty the one in our local, and it took the brewery awhile to upgrade it with a new disc of questions -- during which time we hardly went thirsty!

Last edited:
That sounds like Defender -- although that wasn't using vector graphics, just a conventional (nut sparse) bit-mapped display. The aliens ("landers") come down and carry the "humans" (which consist of about a dozen pixels) away to the top of the screen; and if they succeed, they turn into mutants. Other aliens were like pods that burst open into loads of tiny spores when hit .....

That's the one Julie, thanks. Yes you're right, it wasn't vector graphics at all (memory somewhat hazy, but you've brought it back to me now)

Another one from the seaside at Barmouth: GORF. The machine actually talked, saying silly stuff like "I devour coins!" and "Prepare yourself for annihilation, space cadet!" You worked your way up through the ranks from "Space Cadet" (pronounced "CAH-det") to "Space General" as you cleared the fifth screen by blowing up the mothership with a carefully-aimed shot through a narrow aperture .....

And Hunchback ..... you had to get Quasimodo across the castle to the bell rope, jumping over various hazards, even clearing pits by swinging on a rope, before the guard climbed up the wall and caught you.

And Track and Field! That was a genre-busting classic ..... Run, jump and throw your way to victory, Jessica Ennis-style, against the computer or another player ..... You had to beat the computer at each event in order to qualify for the next and if you failed, you had to insert more money and start all over again from the beginning .....

I'm so jealous of you lot that got to play proper games in actual arcades. I do remember Track and Field, I was about as good at that as I am at QWOP. I was quite a fan of the early FMV-based games that popped up in cinemas and seaside towns in the mid 90s though, I completed the Aerosmith one and Mad Dog McKree was interestingly terrible. I've just remembered I bought a history of Arcade games or perhaps games in general from a charity shop, time to track that down.

anyone remember bomb jack 10p and i was on it for about 3 hours and i only went in to score some draw

Zomby, I moved posts to music thread <3 Derailment. xx My fault too! Much love to ya.

They did they best of the 80's yesterday - Some great titles but I was really surprised at the Number one choice which was Ms Pacman! I honestly don't think I've ever played it in the arcades.

There were a few of the already mentioned names, Golden Axe, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Rampage,Bubble Bobble were the main ones that I can remember playing and then there were Frogger, Qbert, Donkey Kong.

I can remember Track and field, used to come away with RSI after doing the sprint a few times :D

A few more from the 80's that I can remember playing on one format or the other
Tempest, Spy Hunter, Kung Fu master, Paperboy, Out Run, Phoenix, Joust, Sinistar (brilliant game), Dig Dug, Boulderdash Spy V Spy, Ant Attack.

Wasn't Sinistar that one with the terrifying ermm...Sinistar that randomly appeared in front of your ship or something?

haha! chuck rock and rick dangerous!!! i actually had rick dangerous as my avatar a little while ago.

another word and flashback for the amiga/snes were amazing too.

and cannon fodder!

i loved mortal kombat but i think mk 2 was the ultimate in that series with all the cool fatalities and characters.

Only just seen this Smacky, but yeh Cannon Fodder was brilliant - as was the theme tune. Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/PiYuq6Ac3a0

Aw shit, Cannon Fodder <3

Also I downloaded Another World 20th Anniversary edition or some shit on PS4 and I am still as bad at it as I was when it first came out, if not somehow worse. Pretty game, tho

If you can find a portable TV (CRT would actually look better than LCD here) with audio and video inputs, you could rig it up to a Raspberry Pi -- complete with joysticks and fire buttons wired to the GPIO port -- and make a custom cabinet out of MDF, for a truly authentic emulation experience!

The first computer game I can recall playing was Elite on the BBC computers at school.
Other old time faves were Frogger,Space Invaders, Asteroids and Chucky Egg.
Those are the games which stick in my mind the most though I'm sure there are plenty of others I have forgotten about.

The first computer game I can recall playing was Elite on the BBC computers at school.
Other old time faves were Frogger,Space Invaders, Asteroids and Chucky Egg.
Those are the games which stick in my mind the most though I'm sure there are plenty of others I have forgotten about.

Max, did you get into 'Frontier, Elite 2'? I found Elite a little limited, but Frontier was a truly endless game, and the real life physics was a real challenge. For a game that came complete on one 1.44MB floppy and covered our entire galaxy, it was fuckin awesome.

No mate, I never played Elite 2. I was never really into games in a big way but just enjoyed playing them now and again. Pole Position is another game that springs to mind.