Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Nostalgia of the Arcade / Video Games

Bearlove

Bluelight Crew
Good Morning EADD,

I was watching a youtube video yesterday about Arcade Games of the decades and they were covering the 70's.

Some of the games I could remember playing in the arcades and they brought back great memories so I'm wondering what games over the years have you enjoyed playing? What arcade games can you remember playing / do you play now? What computer games have you played that you have lost many hours, weeks, months playing etc.

The ones that really stood out for me on the above Youtube link from the 70's
Space Invaders
Asteroids
Pong
Galaxian
Luna Lander
Sea Wolf

A few others that I can remember playing from that era
Gran Trak 10
Indie 800

Anyone else have any old games they remember - before we start on the 80's and the arrival of Pacman :D

Bearlove

Didn't realise you were that old Bear.

The best video games were of the original play station/nintendo64 generation for me. I've even thought about getting one back just so I could play games like Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the hedgehog, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. This new generation of shooting games do nothing for me, it's all become too technical.

Didn't realise you were that old Bear.

So old I played arcade games in actual arcades (thanks :X). Have you honestly never played 'Galaxian' or Space Invaders on an arcade game ? The ones I mentioned were still hanging around in the arcades for about 20 / 30 years and you could probably find the odd old game in most of seaside arcades etc.

Playstation came out in the 90's - I had been gaming a while before that arcades, Atari 2600, Spectrum (Elite <3) etc, Sega :D

Yeah I remember all those consoles and have ofcourse played Space Invaders in the arcade.

IMO gaming hit its peak 10 years ago, these new games are much less fun. I still play some of them but the shooting ones in particular I find I enjoyed the older versions better. Things like football games have obviously only got better with the graphics and playability.

Never spent much time on arcade machines bar the Space Invaders one in my parents local pub when I was little, but got fond memories of the Spectrum (fuck you Hobbit), Amiga, Megadrive and Master System. I downloaded a Spectrum emulator at work and was overwhelmed at how hard it was to actually use but I still wanna get my own. Collecting consoles is a thing me and my partner have gotten into, I sort of inadvertently did it before I met her and she was into it too so now we've got something like nine or ten under the TV though admittedly at least three of those are Ataris. Play most of them fairly regularly, think my favourite is my Mega Drive cos it's the same one my parents got me when I was like four or five and it still works fine <3

I was sayin in another thread I'd like to fashion an old desktop computer into an actual arcade cabinet and have it play all the old arcade classics as well as older console stuff. Been wanting to do it for absolutely years and finally have the resources if not quite the time.

I wish I'd been old enough to play the games in actual arcades, they ain't the same any more though I did have way more fun than I should have getting high on Scarborough beachfront and playing Mario Kart 7 on my birthday this year :D

edit: agree with Sid there, I can't think of many games out in the past ten years that I have the same affection I have for stuff like FF7, Shining Force, the first three Sonic Games, CoD 2 or whatever. I think some of it is nostalgia but I still play all of those today and love em pretty much the same as ever.

I've had a lust for one of the coffee table space invaders or pacman units for years.

Loved ridge racer, street fighter, mortal kombat etc on the old arcade machines. Bit of a sheltered rural young life, so really was once in a blue moon I actually got near them.

Street fighter and mortal combat were ace. Road rage was another one I used to love, racing on those bikes but you could whack your oponents off with weapons :D

Was playing that the other week, graphics haven't held up too well but it's still too much fun :D Had a go through Streets of Rage 2 in two player the other night as well, which went about as well as it always does. Really miss cooperative games where you end up trying to actively hinder the other player and the screaming begins. Golden Axe is great for it.

Street Fighter was really good fun, then came along Tekken and I was sold. Golden Axe was great fun as was Gauntlet (free next month on PS4).

My main arcade gaming was in the 80/90's so Pacman, Defender, Frogger, Tempest, Tron, Double Dragon,Phoneix, Bubble Bobble, R-type etc all have good memories attached to them.

It's kind of what I feel is missing with the newer consoles they should rerelease these type of games that were actually, well games. It's all a bit serious these days for me.

I just googled Road Rage on my phone the game, wow those graphics are shocking haha :)

Ahhhhh thanks for the Gauntlet tip, I loved playing that with my best mate and her brother on Xbox Arcade <3 Big fan of Pacman and Frogger also, and that one with the wee skiing dude and the yeti (horace goes skiing?)

edit: yep shocking graphics sid, I was fairly sure I was having some sort of seizure while playing it. The '3D' one for the PC and PS1 holds up a bit better these days but I prefer the first three games. Lotus Turbo Challenge was another that got played to death, strange how long the games lasted for how basic they were looking back but I suppose being a kid and only really getting games at Christmas and birthdays made them more special.

Ahhhhh thanks for the Gauntlet tip, I loved playing that with my best mate and her brother on Xbox Arcade <3 Big fan of Pacman and Frogger also, and that one with the wee skiing dude and the yeti (horace goes skiing?)

I loved Gauntlet and when I spotted it was free next month I started to get excited - and along came this thread :D.

I couldn't remember the name but Googled horace and yes I can remember that one also. The ZX spectrum was so bloody hard for gaming :D

Final Fight, Street Fighter 2, Gauntlet, Golden Axe, TMNT, Mortal Kombat, WWF, Tekken.

Seems like everyone got the same shit across the UK!

It was! I wish I could remember if I played that first or if it was the Master System but think it was probably the Spectrum which explains why I was so baffled at the bloody difficulty when I downloaded it the other month. Fuck it I'm going Ebay now.

edit: Chuck Rock <3 I really liked the graphics in that one, the 16bit platformers of the early to mid 90s had such a pretty aesthetic to 'em

POng was the first ,I remember the first time I went 'round the clock' on space invaders (9999 or maybe 99999 fuck knows) after that I moved to asteroids - to hard- and the one with wiggly lines coming down that you had to shoot to stop and galaxian. and after those I got a game boy and played tetris and Mario. Never got in to any thing else - just a big waste of time and expense id rather watch the telly

It was! I wish I could remember if I played that first or if it was the Master System but think it was probably the Spectrum which explains why I was so baffled at the bloody difficulty when I downloaded it the other month. Fuck it I'm going Ebay now.

edit: Chuck Rock <3 I really liked the graphics in that one, the 16bit platformers of the early to mid 90s had such a pretty aesthetic to 'em

Chuck Rock, Rick Dangerous, James Pond. Loved my Amiga 600 in the 90s

I started on a c64 but for some reason the only games I can remember having for that were Manic Miner and Paperboy.

Amiga 500 (I still have this machine boxed in my parents garage) was my first computer back when I was a kid - Kick Off 2, Speedball 2, Golden Axe, Shadow of the Beast....plus many more.

Many years later I had a Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye is still my favourite of all time. It took over my life for a good while.

haha! chuck rock and rick dangerous!!! i actually had rick dangerous as my avatar a little while ago.

another word and flashback for the amiga/snes were amazing too.

and cannon fodder!

i loved mortal kombat but i think mk 2 was the ultimate in that series with all the cool fatalities and characters.

Anyone get much into Apogee's DOS games? Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Commander Keen, all that? Was reading an article about them last night, played them to death when I was little and I think there's a huge Steam bundle just been released so gonna have to get that, obviously.

Fond arcade memories of Pong and Space Invaders.

Fond pub memories of Pacman, frogger, galaxians, missile command, tank commander (I think, all green vector graphics), asteroids, Star Wars, and another whose name escapes me but it was also vector graphics and you had to blast the aliens in a left/right scrolling landscape before they could come down and abduct your people.

Extra fond memories and much time wasted playing Frontier Elite 2 on the Amiga 1200. Still my all time favourite computer game.

Last edited: