• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

No one goes to prison for weed?

.Felix.

Bluelighter
Hey, So My mom works in a prison as a Correctional Officer. Me and her often talk about legalizing marijuana and I always throw that it cost us money to house people who are in there for cannabis violations. She says NO One goes to prison for pot, and that if anyone tells me this they are liars. Prison is for real criminals, not stoners.

Now, I always see stuff that if legalized it would help the prisons. So why do people go in for it? Do they really? I cant see getting a year for having a pound, or can I?

Anyone have any links that show proof. I cant find any and this would also help with my research project!

Thanks <3

Dude ok the 'average' marijuana smoker won't go to a federal prison if they get caught with just like an 8th of bud, but you will indeed spend time in jail - its just the county jail you'll be sitting in. I know people in my state that have gone to county jail for having literally Seeds and stems on their floor boards in their car. So yeah not all states tolerate it as well as some others. For instance in my state there is NO SUCH THING as getting a ticket for marijuana, it is a 100% guarantee you will go to county jail if you get caught with even a empty pipe. fuck this country

^^

dam dude, i just saw this kid on campus get his car searched and everything for having an 1/8th on him last night when he got pulled over and he got off free. i think he might have gotten a ticket but they let him go.

Maybe stoners won't go to jail, but anyone caught selling or owning anything over an ounce probably will.

I think it depends on how much stash they find on you. If they find over a certain amount on you then it is apparent that you have intention to deal, and you will get arrested.

In Singapore you get the death sentence for import/ exporting and get up to 10 years of imprisonment or S$20,000 fine or BOTH for consumption/ possession :/

It really depends on where you live and how up tight the person arresting you is. Where I live the average stoner won't go to jail, they will either have their bud/pieces confiscated or a possession charge that comes with a fee to pay.

The people who might go to prison are dealers and growers pushing pounds at a time.

grow some plants, call the cops over. see what happens.

you would be disillusion if you thought that people don't go to jail for marijuana.

Lets say I wanted to breed cannabis for ornamental cultivars. I grow a few plants, hybridize and get seeds. I plant out 1000 seeds. I get 700 viable plants. Now I'm only growing to evaluate plants for ornamental characteristics (maybe i want red petioles with extra long and slender leaves). These plants wont ever get to harvest, but if the cops walk into my greenhouse, what do you think is going to happen?

What exactly is your mom trying to say? Its OK that it is illegal because you don't go to jail for it? Does that even make any sense at all?

And prisons are not filled with "real" criminals like murderers and rapists. They are filled with drug offenders. Catching real criminals actually requires time, energy, and money. The most cost effective thing a cop can do is arrest a non violent drug offender.

She is stating that I should not fall for the comment that "legalizing marijuana will result in decriminalizing 'X number' of inmates" which is supposed to be a large number. She doesnt care much about the topic expect that I should stop smoking because it is illegal.

out here it is just a citation if you get caught with like ten grams

In New Hampshire, you go to jail for having stems on your floor.

In MA, you get away with a warning.

Depends on state and officer. I know plenty of people who have gone to jail for having next to nothing (a few buds), to people who have gotten away with having several blunts (me :) )

by jail time, how long are we talking?

going to jail for an empty pipe? but then its legal to sell them?

its a little more relaxed in australia. small fines for personal use. up to like 12grams and you get this drug diversion program where they give u pamphlets about how bad drugs are and a fine. definately no jail time. i know of a dude who got caught with 2 pounds and got a $3000 fine and weekend community service tidying up schools.

i thought it was the land of the free. guess u gotta be wearing a badge for that to apply.

1/4 oz is jailtime here. because thats the limit they have to distinguish between possesing and intending to sell i guess.

Depends where u are .

In Canada I've been caught by the cops and they either take it off you and send you on your way .
Once I was also caught smoking in a park and the cop just told me to do it at home not here

America I heard is alot different eh ?

by jail time, how long are we talking?

going to jail for an empty pipe? but then its legal to sell them?

if it has resin in it it'll get you in trouble. my friend got arrested for possessing an empty grinder. but it had ".xx oz" of marijuana "residue" in it.

my friend said "i wish!"

Yeah my boy got 4-8 (years) in PA for growing 10 plants. There was a new judge in town and a bunch of articles in the newspaper just previous to his bust that were urging a "Crackdown on Drug Thugs". Well, his friend rolled on him (after getting caught with a .1 of coke) and he got 4-8, no priors. He just got out after 15 months because his sister is no slouch and provided him with all sorts of legal material for him to urge his case.

But for the regular schmoe, he can be fucked depending on how the situation is in his county/state. 4-8 years, yo. For 10 plants. They weighed everything. All the earth on the roots of the plants. He got out but he's stuck in a half-way house for the next 2 1/2 years. He's 45 y.o.,no priors with 2 teenagers to raise who have no reliable mother and he's still stuck in this shit.

Ain't no joke. If he weren't such an optimistic/upbeat dude he would be ready to hang himself like that cat in Shawshank. They will prosecute sometimes.

Yea even in NYC you usually get off with a desk appearance ticket. Though when I was in central bookings I talked to 2 people there for weed. 1 Dude had a roach, the other an 8th. Fucked up.

I know people in my state that have gone to county jail for having literally Seeds and stems on their floor boards in their car. For instance in my state there is NO SUCH THING as getting a ticket for marijuana, it is a 100% guarantee you will go to county jail if you get caught with even a empty pipe. fuck this country

I can't believe that shit. The world is still so fucking backwards, it may be the year 2009 but we still have so much retarded nonsensical bullshit such as this going on FFS!.

Where I live in Australia if your caught with weed, they just confiscate it and give you a $100 fine or a chance to go to a 'cannabis education session' instead. That is still absolutely rediculous though.

I was stopped by the police once with about 2 grams of bud on me, they took it, gave me a fine and then let me drive away. They clearly knew I was stoned, yet I could still drive away. All they seemed to care about was taking the weed and fining me. My safety was obviously not the concern. This has happened on another occasion too when the cops pulled me and a friend over just minutes after smoking, but we had none left, so they searched every inch of the car, then left, knowing we were blazed and we're going to drive.