View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nitrous Oxide "ghosts", invisible people, auras and spirits

DeadElvis666

Bluelighter
Ok. I may be in the wrong section with this post. I'm new to BlueLight. I've never publicly commented on this before. Several years ago I got heavy into nitrous oxide. I mean heavy. I was doing an average of 200-400 nitrous canisters per day for about 2-3 years. Take a minute to reflect on that before you continue reading...

After a few months of heavy nitrous use, I started to have an unusual experience. As i was coming out of my "fishing" I would get the distinct impression that there was someone else in the room with me. As i used more heavily it started to seem like I could actually see a glimpse of someone out of the corner of my eye, and often it seemed like they were reaching out to pass me something, like a joint or a balloon. A few times I actually passed the balloon to my "invisible friend" on accident while under the effects of the nitrous and watched the balloon flutter away. The more I used nitrous, the more visible my "invisible friend" became, and eventually, after about 6 months of heavy daily huffing, he had become a fully visible silhouette I could look at and interact with while under the influence of NOS. He looked like the shape of a person but invisible. Exactly like in the movie "predator" when the predator has his "cloaking device" thing on and he's like a clear silhoutte of himself.

I became increasingly fascinated by my "invisible friend". He usually appeared stuck in the wall of my apartment, like he was halfway sticking out of the wall. I could watch him and interact with him. I couldn't hear him, but he seemed to hear me talking and I was able to establish a basic level of communication using basic non-verbal communication. You'd be amazed how much of our ability to communicate is unspoken. Mannerism and simple gestures were easy to interpret and he seemed to just hang out there all the time, hanging halfway out of the wall every time I started huffing NOS. I began to affectionately refer to him as "guy in the wall" and we spent months just hanging out together while I did NOS.

Around this time I began to realize that unlike other drugs, the nitrous trip builds on itself and continues to get deeper with each experience. Unlike LSD which is a completely different "trip" each time, the nitrous experience is more like a video game that pauses each time you stop using, and restarts from the same place once you begin huffing again. Around this time I also started to notice that there seemed to be progress with each trip and a serious of "puzzles and challenges" laid out before me like a video game. I started to meet new "invisible people" and strange muppet like characters. Each one seemed to represent some sort of "challenge" or puzzle. Much like a video game I would continue to repeat the same character until I figured out their puzzle, and moved on to the next level. After passing one of these "challenges" I would have the sensation and visual hallucination of being relocated along a massive elaborate grid or maze. Like I was rapidly "leveling up" and I could feel myself rushing through some kind of grid lines like an Alex Grey painting. Then I would be deposited at a new location on the grid and face a new set of challenges with a new host of "invisible people". When I passed these "tests" and was relocated on the grid, it always seemed like I was moving closer to the center of a gigantic cosmic labyrinth.

As time went on the characters became more vivid. More defined. Sharper edges and more clear. I could communicate with them more easily.

One day I noticed that one of my invisible friends had the same body shape and mannerisms as one of my real life friends. He seemed like a perfect "invisible copy" of my friend. I began to look around at my other invisible friends (at this point I had a crew of about 20 invisible people who just loitered around my apartment with me, watching me huff NOS all day). I began too look more closely at the silhouettes of the other invisible people and quickly realized they were all the silhouettes of people I have know and been friends with over the years. All the "ghosts" in my apartment were actually my best friends from real life. I began to spot them one by one and figure out which ghost was which person from "real life". All my friends were there, all my family, even friends who died many years ago. And sure enough, I was there too. There was my ghost, hanging out with all the other ghosts... drinking beer and goofing around. They all seemed to be pretty happy and having a generally good time. Occasionally they seemed to argue with each other and have disputes, I even saw a few fights, but for the most part they seemed pretty good natured. But I didn't recognize all of the invisible people. Some were strangers. I always figured they were just people I haven't met yet and become friends with later in life.

Once I solved this "puzzle" their identities were always very easy to distinguish. Each "ghost" felt like the person they were in real life. I could tell who I was talking to based on their "feel" without having to closely examine their silhouette. Occasionally I confused people who had a similar "energy", but for the most part I was able to start addressing them by name. I became friends with my own ghost. I caught up with a friend who died when we were kids. I developed a crush on a female who I referred to as the "cheshire cat girl". Years later I suspect it was the woman I am currently dating, who I hadn't met yet at that point in my life. She is the love of my life and my "dream girl" who I'm currently planning to marry. She's a knockout suicide girl who I've been obsessed with since we were young, but I didn't personally know her yet at that point. I actually saw the ghosts of other women who I hadn't met yet, but I would later date and have relationships with. I met my ex-girlfriend as a ghost years before meeting her in real life.

At some point around this time I started to communicate with them using my mind. We could have "telepathic conversations" without talking. I also began seeing them in color. As I would exhale my cloud of frozen gas and slip into the "nitrous wonderland" the cloud of gas would pass across their silhouettes, illuminating them in full color. They were beautiful fractalized and angelic versions of the real people they represented. As each of their their "ghost faces" were shown to me for the first time, I was able to see the profound beauty of each one of them. Their "ghost faces" were shown to me one by one over the course of a few months. Their faces were the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Too beautiful for words. Like a perfect radiant angelic version of the real person. Around this time I also began to see them when I was sober and other spooky things started happening while I was sober. When I would walk past fluorescent lights they would begin to flicker. Strange things started happening to the lights wherever I went. Lights seemed to dim and flicker when I would walk into a room. I started to have a really powerful presence and people started to seem entranced by me. I started to feel like I was developing strange supernatural powers. I felt like I could read peoples mind and see into the future. Women became easy to attract. New friends flocked to me. I could have any woman I wanted. I became extremely popular. I had a strange mystical energy that attracted women. I started to have a very "Aliester Crowly" vibe that made people attracted to me. Getting laid with beautiful women became laughably easy. I began jokingly referring to myself as the "shaman of the dark", the "ghost hunter" and the "one who walks between shadows".

It was also around this time that I began to reach the "center of the maze" and I was no longer solving puzzles put before me by the "ghosts" and instead I just worked on developing my "powers". At one point I had an incredibly vivid hallucination that i was being "tattooed" or "modified" by some sort of powerful entity. The ghosts "dosed me" with an invisible drug. They applied something like toothpaste to the back of my hand and sprinkled it with powder. Afterwards I spent two weeks going through the most agonizing pain imaginable. It felt worse than kicking heroin. The substance they applied to my hand actually burned my skin and I still have a scar from it. Actually I think that happened right before I developed the "supernatural powers". There were also other "invisible entities" who were not my real life friends. They seemed much more powerful, like some sort of demi-gods. They often appeared in the form of animals or part animal and part human. The other "ghosts" seemed to have immense respect for these "demi-god-characters". They were obviously not human, or ghosts or whatever, but some other, higher lifeform. I had some powerful and humbling experiences with these "demi-god" characters. All the "invisible people" could travel through time and space and manipulate the physical world around me. They would occasionally knock things off the table, open and close doors, mess with the lights, music etc. but mostly they stayed confined to their own plane in which I was a visitor. Elements of my world seemed to overlap their own. My couch would be sitting on a tropic beach or the edge of a cliff rather than in my living room. They would open doors that didn't exist and walk up stairways or ladders that weren't visible to me. The doorways and windows in my house became doorways to different dimensions. I would watch as a dozen intoxicated "ghosts" came stumbling out of my closet, or climbed down up a ladder that wasn't there. One ghost unzipped the air in front of me like he was opening a tent, stepped through it and disappeared.

One of the more powerful things I experienced was a very clear and vivid hallucination that I was put into a "cockpit" type contraption. Something like a cross between a carnival ride and cockpit of space ship. Then I was zapped with some sort of electricity or something and I was immediately encased in a strange orange substance. I was then quickly "cut out" of the orange substance by some type of lazer and hung up in a strange round tank where I was lined up with other tanks full of people. I stayed in the "tank" for several days and it seemed like my "body" was undergoing some type of futuristic medical procedure.

Eventually I became so messed up from all the huffing that my friends and loved ones became very concerned and I had to stop doing NOS completely. It took about 2 years for the ghosts to "fade away" and during that time a referred to them as my "mount rushmore of invisible friends". They were all there hovering around me and guiding me like guardian angels. I still felt like I had "super powers" during this time. Beautiful women flocked to me, everyone wanted to know me and be my friend. Meanwhile my family and close friends cried about my "madness" and thought I had lost my mind. I carried continual conversations with my "invisible friends" everywhere I went. People thought I was insane, yet they were inexorably drawn to me. Women would call me crazy one minute and sleep with me the next. It was a surreal time in my life. I stopped using NOS and just spent my time drinking in bars and taking advantage of my "supernatural" ability to pick up women. And eventually it all faded into the past. I still have a really powerful presence, and women seem mystified by me, but I no longer see my invisible friends. I always have a sense that they are with me watching over me, but they are no longer a part of my life. I moved on. I got a job. I started a relationship with the woman I've always desired (hot doesn't even come close to describing her... she's one of the most popular models from the suicide girls website. she's like a dream come true) and most importantly I stopped using nitrous. Lately I've been dabbling with drugs again. We have been experimenting with heroin. But for the most part my life is normal. You would never guess that I used to be the ghost hunter.

These were the "major lessons" I took away from my years doing nitrous.

1. Death is not the end. Our souls are eternal. After death you will effectively remain the same person you were in life (this was a big one for me because I've always been an athiest, so this came as a big shock to me)
2. Santa Clause isn't the only one watching you and deciding if you've been naughty or nice. There's something I call the illusion of privacy. For a long time it was hard for me to masturbate because I couldn't get used to the idea of "everyone watching". Now I just make sure to put on a good show.
3. What you do with the time you've been given in your physical body matters. I don't pretend to know how it all works, but the things you do in this life matter very much and you will have to live with the choices you make in this lifetime. I can't really elaborate beyond that, but I suggest you don't waste your time on this planet because the things you do here matter more than you could possibly realize. In a way I think you continue to relive the choices you made in your life long after your death.

So in conclusion I want to state that 100% of this is true and exactly what I experienced. I don't expect you to believe it, but it happened. So that's my story. You may want to use caution when experimenting with nitrous. It's way more powerful than people realize. And if you use nitrous, try to keep your eyes open and look for the "invisible people". Who knows, maybe you'll see me around...

I read some of it and it sounds like psychosis/sleep deprivation to me. I also heard nitrous depletes b12 if used a lot maybe that could do it.

Well some things like the pain you described and the physical sensations later mentioned may very well be signs of neuropathy, a matter where B12 depletion probably doesn't help as it may affect myelination. If you are still having quirks you might wanna see a neurologist about that...

The hallucinations, which of course are projections of the mind, can easily become congruent with symptoms as it is a way for the mind to integrate everything into a coherent picture. It is unusual and astounding that hallucinations would be so consistent over such a long time, but that would lend all the more credit to some mental lability - latent before ever starting nitrous, or not.
Things like telepathy seem extraordinary but honestly also a very obvious consequence of the mind and its projections, communicating with itself. Nitrous is a dissociative, what becomes dissociated from what can vary - not only the mind from the body experientially but also mental faculties normally in coherent synchrony. Weird cross-chatter can indeed lead to all kinds of wonderful, absurd or even pathological consequences like say the mental image you have of certain people becoming dissociated and projected, and then partially reintegrated with your 'central executive'.

Regardless of how interesting it is to read or experience, need anyone tell you about unhealthy lifestyles?

Not really intending to start an argument about realness, although I must say: when talking about chemical substances that are known to alter brain chemistry how is mental dysfunction not the most plausible explanation?

I know nitrous can be addictive (moreish) as it can be so grippingly fascinating though... I can't imagine such vast abuse..

Well the way i see it there are 2 possibilities. Either it was "all in my head" and the "ghosts" were my minds projections, or the second option that I was in fact communicating with the "other side". I always leaned toward the first explanation, but the ghosts had their own personalities, their own ideas and thought process. It is hard for me to believe that the human brain is capable of something so complex and powerful. And honestly the "higher intelligence" sure seemed a lot smarter than me. I've searched extensively and found a few other heavy nitrous users who had similar experiences, but I've never met anyone who used as much nitrous as me either.

most people call it quits after hanging out with the ghost of their dead best friend. for some reason it just made me more curious to dig deeper.

Well the way i see it there are 2 possibilities. Either it was "all in my head" and the "ghosts" were my minds projections, or the second option that I was in fact communicating with the "other side". I always leaned toward the first explanation, but the ghosts had their own personalities, their own ideas and thought process. It is hard for me to believe that the human brain is capable of something so complex and powerful. And honestly the "higher intelligence" sure seemed a lot smarter than me. I've searched extensively and found a few other heavy nitrous users who had similar experiences, but I've never met anyone who used as much nitrous as me either.

Don't dreams and psychedelic trips also seem that way, though? And especially when you have experienced fully lucid dreaming it is when you see that we have the mental power to create entire imaginary worlds [as complex as we comprehend the real one / consensus reality], and disintegrate them again in moments. At least that is what I experienced. We all have that kind of potential even if it can vary and yes unbound it is that much more intelligent than our restricted self, what probably varies a lot more is how much we underestimate this or unlock the potential. We are incredibly imprisoned by limits, such as prejudice and kneejerk reactions.
Daniel Kahneman (Nobel prize winner) reveals that there are 2 modes of human thinking: one very rational and complex, but rather slow and the other is more like auto-pilot for the expected/known stuff we encounter every day, which is very narrow-minded but much faster and less costly of concentration. We have no idea how much that restricts us!

Nitrous really feeds that hunger for novelty, and reinforcing that must make it all the more irresistible [addiction]... Just please realize at what cost you quench those curiosities and how much it is really worth to you. I'm glad you're not hooked on nitrous anymore. I know addiction can be a real bitch, have been stuck in several.

Last edited:
If disassociatives have taught me anything it's that we experience a model of the world in our heads, not the world itself. It's a model we call meaning, knowledge and memory, updated by sensory input. So yes, the human brain can create something as complex and powerful as the world we inhabit, which is that model, inhabit much more than the material world "out there", which we only get a drip feed of through our senses.

It certainly seemed like the line between my conscious and unconscious mind was dissolving. But then that raises questions about our unconscious mind. If you believe in the collective unconscious, then what's to say my unconscious mind bleeding over into my waking reality wasn't in fact the collective unconscious bleeding over into my waking life... That would certainly explain it.

The unconscious, sure... but the collective unconscious? It just isn't necessary to get that involved - and it's not empirical whatsoever - in order to explain this, which is pretty much enough reason not to. Occam's razor, and all.
If we compare this with something similar but much more extreme, do you see the point then? People who are schizophrenic, psychotic, delusional, extremely superstitious may also drag along ever increasingly complex and unlikely theories and beliefs into things. That is not only very tiresome, it is also far too often based on thought, pure imagination. Stick to what you KNOW..

I have also 'sensed' beings, more on DMT than anything else. One of those times I sensed beings whom you might call 'static people', I could not see them but only sense them. I could even feel them touching me. Such experiences, just like the feeling like you can sense the energies of other actual people around you, can be explained by unusual communications between different parts of the brain. If you interpret what you see as what you feel, on your skin and with your proprioception, then you are basically there explaining it. If there are no actual people around you then it's more like tactical hallucinations, or less-sensory-differentiated 'psychic' hallucinations. A form of synaesthesia basically - also definitely not unusual for psychedelics. But unfortunately not common enough for my tastes. :D

I have never thought I would find anyone else who has experienced things this similar..
I have done extensive research with dissociatives, and although I have never seen any other entities with my eyes, I have felt them and experienced complete 'puppet' styled control over my body.
This will usually lead to a strong sense of 'power' and lights and electricity as well as other elements have bent to my willpower alone. I have tested this repeatedly, and even had reassurance from others in the vicinity that this was occuring.
Also, girls do give me much attention and flock like birds ;)
I do not mean to brag, but its like I have an unearthly glow about my being, a sort of magnetic pull towards me if you will. I have found a lot of 'powers' as well.
I wonder how these things came into being, and I figure I will be told by another entity or myself one day.

When this was all happening to me I remember frantically searching the internet for anyone else who had similar experiences with huffing (they say huffing anything can cause this phenomena, especially things like dust-off) and I found a few threads by people who had similar things happen when using high amounts of nitrous oxide. I posted this mostly so other people who have experienced this could read about my experience and understand that they aren't crazy or developing schizophrenia. I have a feeling eventually other people will begin to come forward and confirm they've had similar experiences. I hope this post can be useful to someone else who is going through this. Back when I was doing NOS I wish I had stumbled across a posting like this. Maybe sharing this experience will help someone else who is going through the same thing that I went through.

Wise words friend, I feel I am in the same boat.
Sharing experiences is truly the only way to connectivity

Nitrous is defiantly a strange drug. Ive done a fair amount of it over the years. Never abused it to that extent like you two did. Mostly would just do a pack or two on the weekends.

Point being is I have experienced some wierd shit after doing some nitrous. It all started like five years ago at a music festival.(Backround info..I had got laid off from my job about a month prior to this night..So leading up the festival I had quit smoking pot since I knew I would have to find a new job) That night was a cluster fuck of drug use. Lots of Bk-MDMA wMDPV,Ketamine and lots of nitrous and beer. Well about midway through the night a buddy that randomly showed up that night found a joint on the ground, and even though I knew I shouldnt be smoking pot It got the best of me and we ended up smoking it up. So flash forward about 30 mins and Im at the campsite with friends doing more nitrous. Then my friend becca came up and sat on my lap. She said she had just smoked some DMT and she could feel vibrations. I said cool and proceded to do another nitrous cracker. Then Bammm. Im suddenly being dragged into the ground and im freaking out. Im no longer at the fest IM now being pulled underground. Then I see it its like a circle underground where on the top half its blue skys and green grass And the bottom half its underground and there were joints (weed) in the dirt pointing down.And I have overwelming feeling of needing to choose between pot or a good life. Then I wake up or better yet snap out of it.My friends explain to me that in my stupor I had thrown my friend off my lap and jumped out of the chair kicking and yelling and rolling around on the ground. My friends were pretty freaked out I tried to explain what had happened and they looked at me like I was Crazy. But the vision (or whatever you want to call it) Was so Vivid and powerful. After this event I continued to have nitrous do some wierd shit to me. So like every month or two I would be doing some nitrous(and usually some other type of drug usually pyschodelics) and out of no where I would get sucked in to this wierd vortex and I would be spinning doing 360's and I would see these events from my life. And always get this really wierd deja vu, Kinda like all this was predestined and As Im spinning im seeing all the other times that this has happened and right before it would end, I would be thrust back to my seat I just would sit there and think about how Im fucking up. But the deja vu was so pronounced. Basically it seemed like this would happen when I had been fucking up in life. doing to much partying and not focusing on self growth. This happened at least ten Times I would say.

Its really hard to put what I felt into words. SO if this seems silly to u then so be it. But the point remains Nitrous does some wierd shit. And mind you im in good shape (body and mind) for the most part. Just some depression issues.

IT would be crazy to think But maybe just maybe that dmt my friend smoked somehow transfered to me and sent me on a short trip.. I really dont know And have thought about the situation a million times. I do know that Not smoking pot was a big deal to me as I had been smoking pot heavy every day for years and years. So quiting the reefer so I could find a new job was really important to me at the time. But it was so damn hard.....And I didnt truly want to quit except that I knew I had to get a job.

I did nitrous and mushrooms the other day and could swear there was a "ghost cat" peaking up over the couch cushions at me. I then went on to have a photorealistic image of a cat staring at me, in 3 dimensions, as soon as I decided to close my eyes. It was a rather large but not fat, long haired gray/dull brown striped cat, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. I've never had this kind of CEV on mushrooms or nitrous before. When I saw it with my eyes open, though, it appeared like a colorless silhouette (similar in color to visual snow but darker and more solid) of space seemingly occupied by something incorporeal. a few months back after nitrous, I kept noticing that I would see a tail going around a corner, or out of the corner of my eye, look to expect to see my cat there and find nothing. I haven't done nitrous very much, only about 15 times maybe, but I've always had weird shit happen during or shortly after nitrous administration. Did you ever see any ordinary animals, or just people and astral entities appearing as animal-like?

Last edited:
We live in a multidimensional reality.. Perhaps all this is is you raised your vibration / frequency enough to peer into the 4, 5th etc.. dimension... viewing those entities, who occupied those realities....

I did nitrous and mushrooms the other day and could swear there was a "ghost cat" peaking up over the couch cushions at me. I then went on to have a photorealistic image of a cat staring at me, in 3 dimensions, as soon as I decided to close my eyes. It was a rather large but not fat, long haired gray/dull brown striped cat, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. I've never had this kind of CEV on mushrooms or nitrous before. When I saw it with my eyes open, though, it appeared like a colorless silhouette (similar in color to visual snow but darker and more solid) of space seemingly occupied by something incorporeal. a few months back after nitrous, I kept noticing that I would see a tail going around a corner, or out of the corner of my eye, look to expect to see my cat there and find nothing. I haven't done nitrous very much, only about 15 times maybe, but I've always had weird shit happen during or shortly after nitrous administration. Did you ever see any ordinary animals, or just people and astral entities appearing as animal-like?

Many of the entities I encountered were in the form of animals, part animal/part human, or humans with animal tails, ears etc. They could turn from humans to animals, and any gradation in between. I believe they are some sort of demi-gods who each take the form of an animal. No two "gods" ever had the same animal avatar though. Like, there was only one "cat-god" and she was always the same "person". Any cat I saw was always her. Hope that makes sense. And for what it's worth, she always seemed to represent sexuality and desire. She was attractive and I developed a crush on her.

We live in a multidimensional reality.. Perhaps all this is is you raised your vibration / frequency enough to peer into the 4, 5th etc.. dimension... viewing those entities, who occupied those realities....

That is exactly what it felt like.

I'm surprised more people haven't come forward to reveal they had similar experiences on NOS. Maybe there aren't many people who've gone that far down the rabbit hole with NOS, or it's something people are ashamed to admit because of the obvious association with mental illness and schizophrenia. I was hoping more people would tell stories about NOS and "the other side"

I haven't had experiences of OEVs like you've described, but feeling entities, yes. On dissociatives mainly also. Thank you for sharing.

I have never gone that far with NOS, mostly due to its price. I could always acquire a tank I suppose...
I mean they are not too cheap, especially with how easy it is to go through 200

Although, I have found other dissociatives that give the same effect, of peering into the higher dimensions after heavy daily use.
I have not had OEVs like that either, but I have had strange psychic phenonema that have occured much more than I care to admit.
Psychic powers are real, there is just a large amount of training involved, among countless cleanses of toxins that distrupt the energy flows within you.
Telepathy, telekinesis, and control of other living beings is all possible with enough practice. The main distruptor of these techniqes is your willingness to make it happen. Ie. your mind is not open to possibility
Start with meditation, and heavy visualization excercises. Learn to feel the flow of energy throughout your body. What is amazing is there is no set way for the powers to arise, it is all individual.

I spent years addicted to nitrous i had all sorts of crazy experiences, at one stage near the end of my addiction i was convinced some type of being was attempting to communicate with me through the television.... Combined with psychedelics or dissiociatives ive had many experiences much more powerful than DMT breakthrough.

What kept me coming back to nitrous was its ability to provide OBE's when combined with DXM but in the end i was wasting way too much money on the shit & after the pin on my last soda syphon snapped i figured. I wasnt getting what i used to from it most of the time anyway there where no more sound hallucinations such as the "nang nang nang" sound which even after a massive break has never returned along with most of the other desired effects.