• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 17 Mar 05: Evidence clears drug girl: Lawyers

This case is just becoming awful to watch or hear about. She's obviously become so stressed and anxious by all the media constantly in her face hounding her and the thought she could possibly be up for the death penalty. This is big news and coverage is needed so a seemingly inocent girl can get a fair trial, but the way its being played out is all wrong.

Its obviously impossible to know if she did do it or not, to me it seems absurd if she did do it though. Either way I wish the media would show her some respect, this is a girl who could be on death row and the situation could only be making things worse for her.

from what I've read its the Indonesian media who hounding (I'm sure Australian media isn't helping it though). I believe they call her the Cannabis Queen so obviously their appealing to the post colonial resentment....

I don't want to seem too cynical about this, but I feel the need to ask the question, do you think that the reason the Australian government hasn't helped Ms Corby to the best of their abilty is simply that in their eyes there are more pressing foreign policy objectives to focus upon?

By that I mean after years of alienating our Asian neighbours the Howard Govenment is beginning to acknowledge their importance as trade and security partners. In the case of Indonesia I believe their President recently said that that Indonesia can be Australia's gateway to Asia. With that in mind its important to remember that the government has openly stated that it wants to be invited to the next ASEAN conference and the resumption of military ties with Indonesia has been on the cards for a while now.

So back to my question, do you think that the Australian Government will risk its greater foreign policy vision for the well being of one woman?

The situation reminds me of what the Australian ambassador to Indonesia said in a letter to his superiors in Canberra at the time Indonesia invaded East Timor in 1975, from memory I think he write "In this situation I think we should favour a pragmatic rather that a principled response".

It was suggested to me by a friend that my previous post gave the impression that I was in support of the Government favouring pragmatism over morality. For the record I would like to state that I absolutely don't support the Government's innaction in the Corby case.

its not about a question of government, its about the fucking law, if you want other countrys to respect your laws then you goto do the same

its not upto the government its the court and what they believe, and the one to put the hammer down is the judge. im afraid it like this in any other country

Narcomatic I realise that the Australian Government has no right to interfere with the judical system of another country. I do still feel as though the process is unfair. I question whether the Consulate has done absolutely everything within its powers to help her. I should add that
I am unfamiliar with the aid normally provided to Australian citizens who find themselves in legal trouble overseas.

Naturally I recognise that the Consulate has provided her with limited medical assistance and presumably legal aid aswell, I also recognise that if the Government made public criticisms in relation to the trial it would be to her detriment. When the overwhelming evidence suggests innocence can the Consulate cross make a transition from providing her with the basic legal assistance necassary to ensure a "fair trial" or can they actively work to clear her name i.e providing more than basic legal assistance by getting her better legal advice and help her legal team to formulate a proper winning strategy. Would such assistance be inappropriate?

we dont who is right or wrong the fcuk if i know too . From all we know is just the media or what it tells us, and we have no right to have say besides the judges if you get my point there and the evidence it pulls of course. Why cant u respect that? atm the it seems putting pressure on the judges is the solution

At no point was I suggesting putting pressure on the judges, I was just asking is it enough for the Consulate to lend her a lawyer, provide a doctor and then throw her to the wolves or can they help her formulate a winning legal strategy? Would it be innappropriate for the Consulate to activly help her case in such a way?

I think it would be massively damaging to our two nations relationships if she was handed the death penalty. For that reason i highly doubt she will be given the death penalty. Given that its so difficult for innocence to prevail in a guilty until proven innocent system. Sadly I think she is going to be very lucky to get let off. Anyone else remember what the Indonesian President said a few weeks back when the Aussie chopper went down? He said something along the lines of It being a massive tragedy and that Indonesia was very grateful for the recent aid efforts and that he would make sure that Corbey got a fair trial. At the time i read that as him saying due to Australias losses in attempting to bring aid I will make sure Corbey gets let go.

With the latest bribery allegations I fear she may be in bad shape. This whole debacle really angers/saddens me.

the media not you, obviously they have different laws in australia compared to indo, they work there country in there own way differently and they have the right too as well for australia too. some countrys dont offer that. i dont want to go into case studys about else where. lending a consulate lawyer is just from your word mouth, the difference is australia has less people living compared to indo and they have there reasons to make certain laws either way.

Sorry but i wasnt saying that they dont have the right to make their own laws, i dont have to agree with them tho and i am free to speak out against them if i wish. I understand that their have been many similar cases in many different asian countries. Every few years for as long as i can remember there has been similar cases of Aussies facing death penalties etc..

You wrong there the last execution in australia was 1985, execution dont exist in australia anymore get your facts right

New clue may save Schapelle
By Tony Vermeer and Clare Masters
April 17, 2005

Kathleen Mills at home with pictures of Gary Lee-Rogers. A NOTE by a security official who died mysteriously after alleging drug-running at Sydney Airport has been delivered to lawyers for accused marijuana smuggler Schapelle Corby.

They claim the note is evidence supporting Corby's plea that she is an innocent victim of criminal networks using airports for drug trafficking.
Its author, former Australian Protective Services officer Gary Lee-Rogers, was found dead in his Queanbeyan flat in October, 2002.

An autopsy was unable to ascertain the cause of death, but Mr Lee-Rogers' family and whistle-blowers believe he was murdered after allegedly uncovering corruption in the APS's operations at the airport.

Lawyers for Gold Coast beautician Schapelle Corby told The Sunday Telegraph yesterday they intended to use this latest information in final submissions to the Indonesian court where Corby is facing a possible death sentence.

Her legal team has received hundreds of letters and e-mails alleging interference with luggage at airports since the claims were raised by Victorian prisoner John Ford.

A coronial finding into his death is due to be handed down at Queanbeyan on Wednesday.

In e-mails to friends, Mr Lee-Rogers predicted he would be killed because of what he had allegedly discovered and said his death would be covered up as a suicide.

One e-mail said he had received

an anonymous phone call warning that "I had tripped over evidence of drug importation though Sydney Airport involving the old Commonwealth Police network."

He alleged the caller had gone on to name two APS officers. The APS was responsible for security at airports and Commonwealth buildings until 2002, when it was folded into the Australian Federal Police.

The e-mail was passed on to Corby's legal team by Whistleblowers Australia president Dr Jean Lennane, who said it might be a clue to his death.

"What we have here is a man who has died in mysterious circumstances after raising concerns about airport security," Dr Lennane said.

A member of Corby's defence team, Gold Coast lawyer Matthew Gibson, said the Lee-Rogers document backed up claims something was awry at the airport.

Corby was arrested after 4.1kg of marijuana was discovered in her boogie board bag at Bali airport.

Mr Lee-Rogers was in charge of security training at Sydney airport before the 2000 Olympics.

But his career collapsed when he warned his superiors about security problems within the APS, including racketeering, the promotion of badly trained officers and misappropriation of government funding.

Evidence at his inquest revealed an APS audit had found 47 revolvers, two rifles, six shotguns, 30 sets of handcuffs and 18 batons had disappeared, along with computers and cameras.

In the week before his death, the 47-year-old was badly bashed and claimed an AFP officer had put a gun to his mouth.

Mr Lee-Rogers' former de facto, Kathleen Mills, said she hoped the inquest's findings would bring some relief after three years of torment.

Businessman Ron Bakir, who is bankrolling Corby's defence, said the note was important evidence.

"It'll help prove that the girl has been set up. There's been a drug-trafficking problem at the airport, but she's a victim," he said.

From news.com.au

Imprisoned Schapelle turns to God
By Kelvin Healey, Tony Vermeer and Clare Masters
April 17, 2005

SCHAPELLE Corby has turned to God as she waits to find out if she will be executed in Indonesia.

The accused drug smuggler has been baptised as a Christian in a Bali jail and defies sweltering heat to pray at two church services every Sunday.
Ms Corby, who collapsed at court in a dramatic appearance this week, also reads the Bible in her cell.

In another development yesterday, a note by a top security official, who died mysteriously after alleging drug running at Sydney Airport, has been delivered to lawyers for Corby.

Her lawyers claim the note supports Corby's plea she is the innocent victim of criminal networks using airports for drug trafficking.

Its author, former Australian Protective Services officer Gary Lee-Rogers, was found dead in his Queanbeyan flat in October, 2002.

An autopsy was unable to find the cause of death but his family and whistleblowers believe he was murdered after uncovering corruption in the APS's operations at the airport.

Corby, 27, has been in Bali's Kerobokan Jail since October. She was arrested at the island's airport with 4.1kg of cannabis in her boogie-board bag.

Corby, who could face execution by a firing squad if convicted, has made the two hour-long church services a ritual.

Vasu Rasiah, a member of the Australian's legal team, said: "She has a strong faith now. It is a very important part of her life.

"Jail is jail, but going to church gives her a release. She is more calm."

Ms Corby supporter Ann Potter said she had watched the accused drug peddler finding solace in God.

The Sunbury woman bribed her way into the Indonesian prison to see Ms Corby on April 3, and attended a Sunday service with the Queenslander.

"She seems to be finding a lot of peace attending those church services," Ms Potter said.

"Her (Sunday) ritual was (to attend) two church services, one Protestant and one Catholic."

Ms Potter said Ms Corby attended the services, conducted in Indonesian, with about 50 other prisoners.

Ms Potter, a former City of Hume mayor, who turned her family holiday into a Corby crusade, said she witnessed one of the judge's text-messaging during a court session and saw another fall asleep.

It was also revealed that Corby has decided she wants more privacy. Her lawyers will ask the court this week to shield her from the media, Mr Rasiah said.

Mr Rasiah said the strain of the frantic attention was proving too much.

"She was scared to go to court," he said.

From News.com.au

Letter hints at cover-up: Corby adviser
April 17, 2005 - 2:41PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/04/17/1113676637055.html?from=rss&oneclick=true

Lawyers for Schapelle Corby have accused Australian police of a cover-up and warned their ''bewildering'' lack of cooperation may have condemned the former beauty student to 27 years in a Bali jail.

Revelations a former airport security officer tipped authorities off to a domestic drug-running operation at Sydney Airport, before he mysteriously died in 2002, proved the Australian Federal Police knew more than they were admitting, said an adviser to Corby's team, Vasu Rasiah.

Former Australian Protective Services (APS) officer Gary Lee-Rogers was found dead in his Queanbeyan flat in October 2002 after alerting authorities to the racket in a letter.

His family and whistle-blowers believe he was the victim of a revenge murder.

''This letter is just bewildering. This AFP is startling us from the beginning,'' Vasu said.

Corby's legal team had only recently asked the AFP and Justice Minister Chris Ellison to confirm to Indonesia's attorney general that they were investigating an airport drug racket in Australia, possibly accounting for how 4.1kg of marijuana ended up in her travel luggage.

Indonesian authorities required official notification of the investigation before they could take Corby's defence that the drugs were planted in her bag into account, Vasu said.

''The AFP woman with him just shrugged,'' he said.

''The minister never asked (for the Indonesians) to take all things into consideration.

''The AFP all the way along has been the biggest obstruction in this case. Why are they lying so much?''

Vasu said Corby's lawyers would present the letter to judges and prosecutor Ida Bagus Wiswantanu this week.

Wiswantanu, who last week lashed out at hints he tried to bribe defence lawyers, is set to outline his sentence request after a two-week delay caused by an illness Corby contracted.

But Vasu said the evidence may have come too late to reinforce Corby's plea to being a unwitting drug courier used by criminal gangs, as a verdict is now due in weeks.

''It's a little late, but we won't give up,'' Vasu said, warning the prosecutor was set on demanding a 27-year life sentence for Corby and one billion rupiah (A$133,000) fine.

He said the AFP should explain to the Australian public why they had refused to assist Indonesian authorities with finger-printing the plastic bag containing the marijuana.

AFP Commissioner Mick Keelty should also explain why he had so readily dismissed evidence from a Victorian prisoner alleging an airport drug-running ring when he had then gone straight out and launched an investigation into the supposedly ''hearsay'' claims.

''Are they going to allow this cover-up forever?'' he said.

''Why do they bulls*** the people all the time?''

Vasu said lawyers had asked for Corby to be given police protection at her appearance this week after she was caught in a media crush on her way into court last Thursday.

The hearing was abandoned in chaos after Corby collapsed.

The Sunday Telegraph today said that in emails to friends, Gary Lee-Rogers predicted he would be killed because of what he had allegedly discovered.

He said his death would be covered up as a suicide.

The APS was responsible for security at airports and Commonwealth buildings until 2002, when it became part of the AFP.

- AAP

its not about a question of government, its about the fucking law, if you want other countrys to respect your laws then you goto do the same

Yes but there is a little thing called justice: the competent and B]impartial[/B] administration over a conflicting argument.

Just a few observations and facts:

1. the chief judge actually asked the defenses criminlogist to look into her eyes and judge whether or not she could committ that crime.

What the fucking hell is that. Do judges really judge people by looking into their eyes? What fucking law school did he learn that in. If that doesn't convince you of incompetentance of the judge then nothing will.

2. They didn't even finger print the fucking bag. Seriously that in itself would probably require a retrial if it was being conducted in Australia.

3. (just read the stuff below, falling asleep, not paying attention. All things that would require a retrial over here are just being passed over....

anyway i could go on forever and forever. She is being fucked by Indonesians who neither have the intelligence or the impartiallity to conduct a fair trial whilst our government is prepared to sell this poor women out for some bullshit economical gain.

i would have thought a billion dollars buys something more then just a seat at the East Asian Conference........

narcomatic - u seem to have repeatedly missed the point of what Sacred_cow and zaki were saying. I encourage you to properly read a post before flaming. Could you also write in coherent sentances as it makes it much easier for other to understand your point.

You wrong there the last execution in australia was 1985, execution dont exist in australia anymore get your facts right

I think zaki was saying that every few years an australian faces the death penalty OVERSEAS. It's common knowledge that the death penalty does not exist in Australia.

At the end of the day - there is no way that Shapelle Corby could have done it. She flew a domestic flight before boarding the plane to Indonesia. Her bags had to have been scanned as she got into the first terminal. Then again as her bags were placed onto the domestic plane. Then her bags would have been scanned before being placed on the international plane. Its not possible for her to have hidden it on her person and transfered it into her bag latter either. Bear in mind that each time the bags would have been scanned - they would have been scanned with the best scanners in the world.

Nice Tits

i said before i dont know if she had it in her bag or not, i was talking about the laws of indo and the respect towards certain countrys. Your comment is just totally speaking from a moron who has made his mind over watching the tv and making a definent response while the judges have read thick notes, for heavens sake judges have 20 yrs experience behind them and your trying claim it as evidence LOL!!!, Yet to mention how did the the knife get in the domestic flight in sept 11th while united states has the best equipment and supply australia with sources and special gear? Its not possible is the most ridiculous thing ever, anything is possible,