• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Never to return..

do you know someone that has taken psychedelics to then never fully return to their normal selves.

Syd Barrett. Oh, I didn't know him personally though.

One of my friends is convinced that all the other members of Pink Floyd put LSD in his coffee every morning and therefore fucked him up. I find this hard to believe for a couple of reasons:

1) I doubt LSD would even work properly if you put it in a hot cup of cofee.

2) With the possible exception of Roger Waters, the rest of the band seem to be nice guys. If you count David Gilmour out, that leaves Nick Mason and Rick Wright and I don't any of them would have done this, plus from what I have read they weren't that into the drugs anyway. Although Rick did like his cocaine later on...

Anyone else ever heard this rumour?

Sure. I friend of mine gave some blotter to his younger brother, aged 16 (not especially strong). He disappeared, and we later found that he'd been down the street knocking on doors and announcing himself as Jesus Christ. This is no urban myth (like the orange juice), I was there. He was never the same again, tho I suspect he was predisposed to schizophrenia.

I witnessed another couple of experiences with people who should never have taken acid, tho not as bad as that one. Speed is also terrible for people predisposed to schizophrenia.

The problem is how do you know? I think that nobody should take these drugs until they are at least 21, as schizophrenia would likely be manifest by that age. Of course, that's an exercise in "do as I say, not as I do".

Mr Blonde said:
Syd Barrett. Oh, I didn't know him personally though.

One of my friends is convinced that all the other members of Pink Floyd put LSD in his coffee every morning and therefore fucked him up. I find this hard to believe for a couple of reasons:

1) I doubt LSD would even work properly if you put it in a hot cup of cofee.

2) With the possible exception of Roger Waters, the rest of the band seem to be nice guys. If you count David Gilmour out, that leaves Nick Mason and Rick Wright and I don't any of them would have done this, plus from what I have read they weren't that into the drugs anyway. Although Rick did like his cocaine later on...

Anyone else ever heard this rumour?

Yes I've heard that rumour (tea not coffee). It's true that Syd lived in a shared house with some acid fiends who may well have dosed him. It's reported that you wouldn't touch a drink in that household. Gilmour wasn't in the band until they sacked Syd (with maybe a couple of weeks overlap). Mason and Waters preferred beer, and I've read that Waters didn't take acid until many years later, when they were already superstars, on a Greek island, probably Wright's home.

It's true that Wright developed a bad coke habit, and later Gilmour too.

Yes I've heard that rumour (tea not coffee). It's true that Syd lived in a shared house with some acid fiends who may well have dosed him. It's reported that you wouldn't touch a drink in that household. Gilmour wasn't in the band until they sacked Syd (with maybe a couple of weeks overlap). Mason and Waters preferred beer, and I've read that Waters didn't take acid until many years later, when they were already superstars, on a Greek island, probably Wright's home.

It's true that Wright developed a bad coke habit, and later Gilmour too.

I never knew that about Gilmour having a coke problem, too bad for him. :\

Yeah I have heard about the house that he shared and the 'don't touch any drinks there' thing, sounds like my kinda place. ;)

About Gilmour, yeah they were briefly a 5-piece until this infamous exchange on the way to collect Syd before a gig:

"Shall we pick Syd up?"
"No, fuck it, let's not bother."

After which Syd was supposed to stay home and be a songwriter, which didn't really work out either. Quite sad, really.

ETA: Now there's a look in your eyes... like black holes in the sky... Shine on you crazy diamond.

I believe that there are some things that a person should not find out before they are ready. Psychedelics can show those things to someone too soon, too intensely, and thus madness begins to manifest as the person is unable to accept what he has seen... and he can't go back... he is stuck in the limbo state of knowing too much, too soon, but unable to accept that knowledge and move on to a peaceful state of mind.

The story of my life. I can never return to what I used to be, because I know too much, and it's a gross distortion of a greater truth that will either drive me more mad or cure me completely. Who knows?

Mr Blonde said:
I never knew that about Gilmour having a coke problem, too bad for him. :\
[/I]

I was surprised about Gilmour and coke. It was during PF's last world tour. I imagine if you're a big rock star on tour, you'd have people offering it to you every hour. However he's apparently clean these days, good luck to him, he seems like a really nice guy.

wingnutlives said:
I believe that there are some things that a person should not find out before they are ready. Psychedelics can show those things to someone too soon, too intensely, and thus madness begins to manifest as the person is unable to accept what he has seen... and he can't go back... he is stuck in the limbo state of knowing too much, too soon, but unable to accept that knowledge and move on to a peaceful state of mind.

The story of my life. I can never return to what I used to be, because I know too much, and it's a gross distortion of a greater truth that will either drive me more mad or cure me completely. Who knows?

The thing is, you can't know too much. Its a paradox. The truth that I've found is that you can know about things you may not want to, and can fight those truths- this has given me hellish anxiety over the years. Its true, you can't go back- but that is the same with everything that occurrs. Every moment changes continuously, you can't even go back to the person you were when you read the word read just then.

Who knows indeed. The only way to reach a conclusion is to keep thinking. Psychedelics have utterly blown me out of the water, but if you truly think about it- what is strange and absurd about these experiences? Because they are just that- experiences, like we have every waking moment. There can be nothing too mysterious there- nothing that can completely crack ones mind- because the mystery IS your Mind. It contains all these weird DMT elves and LSD revelations and salvia-conveyor-belts, whether we like it or not. These things are part of our odd heritage as Homo Sapiens. The way these psychedelics cripple people, as far as I can see, is by introducing SOCIALLY unacceptable thoughts....Which is to say, thoughts that have no value beyond what a vast, unknown called SOCIETY has placed on them during that given time period.

If I tell people about my psychedelic experiences, they often react oddly, either slightly embarassed, unintersted or flat out thinking I am crazy- that, to me, is the symptom that makes those who have tripped feel pain. Just accept your thoughts for what they are; if you have a problem with their content, you will feel like you have a problem. Just as people who think you are mad for tealking about elves and the like; that is their problem. They simply don't wanna hear about it. If you try and squash your thoughts, you will feel anxiety and 'madness'- if you try and initiate transcendaental thoughts, you may end up feeling mad; if you just let things flow without paying too much Mind, you will be free.

After all, if something can be known, thats a massive step towards accepting it. I don't understand much about the Universe/life/etc. but I have rapidly approached feeling freedom and wisdom (approached, not attained) by realising that there are things in the World that are inexplicable and unutterable; but perfectly normal so to speak. I used to get stunned when contemplating DMT entites; but now I wonder why....What is that strange about it, that is stranger then the fact we live on a ball floating in a giant void...? :) Truth is stranger then fiction.

Ugster said:
I had one particularly intense trip after overdosing on liquid LSD (probably did over 1mg when only intending to do ~400mcg, also mixed it with a lot of cannabis and ketamine in an attempt to calm me down) that left me with mild psychosis for about a month. I tripped for two days straight, some really ridiculous stuff happened that night and it was definitely traumatic in some senses while being overwhelmingly beautiful at the same time haha.

I'm stable now, but it has seemed to have somewhat of a permanent effect on me in that all of my trips are overly intense now - which isn't always a bad thing (I actually kinda like it) but it's impossible for me to have a casual/purely recreational trip now, just because of the sheer intensity, even at low doses.

These drugs can have a significant effect on your brain if not used carefully - so be safe everyone haha.

I have the exact same thing's happen to me . Every since a very high dose PCP experience ( i was tripping for a week from 10 vials i smoked with a friend ) every time i take Lsd now one tab will have me high for like 20 hours =D when all my friends need like 2 or 3 . Saves me money and anything even mushrooms at low doses are extremely intense for me.

First time I ate mushrooms my depression was lifted, and has been ever since. It has been 2 years and I'm still feeling changed.