• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Never to return..

swilow said:
A bit of everything really. Theres not really a more intense feeling then tripping your head off with heaps of things to deal with in reality; the contast is shocking. I'm glad your friend is okay now though :) You can never know whether it would have happened to him or not....

I agree. It's really just the luck of the draw, combined with all of his problems. He may have had problems with psychosis before which he was too ashamed to talk about. I don't know. It seems possible, even likely, to me at least... but that's only because I don't really understand, or even can't understand, what goes on during a break like that. I am glad he's OK, too. And thanks. He is a good guy. Lots of selfless character.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind:

I was suicidally depressed for years before my first trip. I was also a mean asshole, treating everyone around me like trash.

I would yell and scream at my parents and other family members. I'd say the most hurtful, hateful things possible. This was all the time. I never said or did anything nice. I had been like this for a couple of years at the time of the trip.

The depression went away almost completely for a while with that first trip, and has never returned with the same severity, though I have had some significant depressive episodes since then.

I immediately changed how I treated others. I was a much nicer person, and the change was immediate. The guilt I felt over mistreating everyone around me during that trip was overwhelming. I realized how much emotional pain some of the things I said and did could cause. I felt so sorry for my actions. It was impossible for me to continue the same after that experience, and I had no desire to be like that any more.

I stopped trying to hurt people. I actually apologized and said and did nice things for the first time in years.

It must have seemed to those around me like I was a new person. Nobody knew what brought about such changes at the time.

^^ that is great to hear. sounds like those clinical success stories. wonderful.

we knew the orange juice thing was a joke guys.

well, because of me "using" psychedelics i would say i don't even want to fully be the person again i have been before a trip, for me that's a real point in psychedelics:
to see where and what my faults are/have been, and then change them so i can be a better person, not necessarily for others, but especially for me.

^ Definitely feel the same

I personally feel far better about myself as a person after what Ive learned from some of my experiences

I think the problem with these stories is that because everyone has had so much propaganda rammed down their throats about psychedelics "driving you mad" everyone is eager to believe it was the psychedelics fault.

So even if someone is completely fucking mad anyway if they say "i once took mushrooms" then everyone goes "Ah..the mushrooms drove him mad".

After my only exp with crystal lsd around 20 years ago something changed in my head. The way I think is diffrent I can look at my hands and see the blood flowing in my veins and my hands warping. I wouldnt say it made me psychotic or that I never came back. I think I just had way to much and permenently altered my mind.

swilow said:
A bit of everything really. Theres not really a more intense feeling then tripping your head off with heaps of things to deal with in reality; the contast is shocking. I'm glad your friend is okay now though :) You can never know whether it would have happened to him or not....

Rather than blaming the drug, I think it's a case of why set & setting are so incredibly important to psychedelic use. Rather than cause the psychotic break, I think they facilitate a fracture that's already there by moving the goalposts so radically you're not even sure what the game is. One of the biggest triggers for psychotic breaks is a traumatic event in the person's life and taking a psychedelic in the 'wrong' circumstances definitely qualifies as traumatic - the same thing would have probably happened if they'd been caught up in say an armed robbery or the like.

My reason for thinking that is I've seen some people go through psychedelic induced, total fucking nightmares, yet after a few of days of sleeping & eating correctly, they're pretty much OK. If psychedelics could cause psychosis rather than unmask latent conditions then at least a couple of those people would have their very own giggle jacket & rubber room

He/she was joking, I think. The sentence would much easier read "My friend's cousin..." but to make the point that it was an urban legend, he/she stretched the connection out further.

Heh.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Edit: Whoops. I accidentally added this post to what I thought was the end (page one). Anyone else ever done that?

Heh...

Edit: Whoops. I accidentally added this post to what I thought was the end (page one). Anyone else ever done that?

Heh.

Frequently :\

perpetuallylost said:
crowbar said:
Well my friend's mom's sister's daughter is in a mental institution after taking too much acid. She thinks that she's a glass of orange juice and tells people not to tip her over. How wild and unique and real is that!
Yeah ive heard a version of that story involving alotta different people.

Yeah, he was being facetious... posting it because it's an urban myth. Hence the friend's mom's sister's daughter. ;)

I'm definitely not the same since my LSD experiences ... it has left me with some "different" ideas and my perceptions of things are slightly different. I am more wont to see patterns in things and imagine/perceive(?) "driving forces" behind everything and superstructures to the universe ... some of this leads me to developing what some might view strange ideas and beliefs, particularly during periods of heavy use. But it doesn't really impugn on my functionality ... that's where I think the difference between "going over the edge and never coming back" comes in. But I think anyone who thinks they were never changed by psych use, particularly LSD use, is probably deceiving themselves or did not really open themselves up to the effects of the drug in the first place.

I went over the edge years ago. Fortunately I found out that there's a ledge beyond the edge. I had hit and landed on this ledge and simply climbed back over the edge and went about my day.

Ismene said:
a ledge beyond the edge

I like that.

Describes my experiences pretty well, too, actually, but I was free-fallin' for a minute...

I think I fell onto the ledge, but the edge is too high too grab onto. At least the view is nicer from this ledge.