• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Need help transitioning away from methadone

First of all, don’t panic. You’ve got time. I think I read you’ve been on methadone for 2 months. At any rate, like negrogesic said, taper down when you are ready and get set up with a sub doctor. They will help you with what you need to do.

Like I said earlier, if you’re going to chase highs using subs or methadone, it’s probably better to do it on subs.
You cannot chase a high on subs my friend.
Number one, Suboxone hogs all of the receptor sites which does not let in any other mu receptor welcoming opioids. It's not the naloxone that everyone's afraid of and saying that oh give me Subutex so I can use, no it's simply the fact and this is verifiable that people morphine was designed too hog your opioid receptor sites and it does a dang good job because after so many years of being on it I ate a 30 mg K9 oxy and felt not a thing. Go ahead and try and smoke of fentanyl pill and you'll feel like you've smoked a gang of brown in one sitting but it goes away in minutes so chasing that high ain't worth it to me at 7 to $10 sometimes $15 a pill here in Portland.

And methadone is just like any other drug that works on brain receptors and receptors in the spinal cord in that as tolerance goes up your not going to be feeling it like you did at the beginning. So let's be honest here pal, chasing highs is for people who want to shoot speedballs and take handfuls of benzos while on their methadone like I did along with a lot of my friends I made at the clinic. Suboxone on the other hand is a way to train the brain chemistry although it is only a partial agonist at the MU receptor which is the same receptor that most opioids work at, so that while you are keeping your brain happy and your body happy, you can work on getting your life back together and join a support group and make use of the counselor and the doctors knowledge of your brain chemistry and how the Suboxone is working, instead of running around like an idiot boosting and fencing crap or spending $1,500 a month on your habit and keeping your friends and family scared of you and out of your life. And mind you buprenorphine whether with naloxone or not, because it does not block opioids in that form. The pharmacists or whoever the people in the lab who came up with it added the naloxone, because it was used for blocking opioid action at the mu receptor with its cousin narcan, I heard they were also using it along with now tracks on to deter alcoholics from drinking before they came up with anabuse. This is all info that I gleaned from my doctor visits and stuff I have read on reputable sites and even here on blue light but feel free to delve in to the world of brain chemistry research and opioid activity at the mu receptor. Also Suboxone bottom line has a ceiling effect and is only a partial agonist meaning it does not get you high, no matter how much you take. I've tried amongst others, to just waste my meds. Full opioid agonists are capable of that in respective doses. That's why Suboxone for me, after having done two substantial stints at methadone clinics while on benzos the entire time, has changed my brain chemistry to keep me from wanting opioids. The thing about methadone is that you may not want other opioids right away but after a while once you get around the wrong people or your brain starts to work overtime thinking about the good old days you will crave them and be looking for a shot even right after drinking your juice in the morning and popping your first benzo and phenergan, which shouldn't be left out of the conversation as it is the best friend to the methadone patient. I can remember trading or just buying a 50 mg phenergan or as it's known as promethazine at the clinic hanging out smoking after group and taking a ride back to my house or someone's pad and going into a deep nod for a good 2 hours. That's what I call chasing the high dude. We call it the no fail cocktail: your methadone or a shot of black or opioid of your choice, Plus a high-powered benzo-like clonazepam or xanax I always prefer clonazepam because it has a 60 hour half life as opposed to a 10-hour half life like Xanax and it acts almost immediately and then the last oh sorry the second to last being 25 to 50 mg of phenergan and of course some good old-fashioned catapres/clonodine .2 mg if you can talk your doctor into it. Or just eat two .1 mgs. To make the cocktail complete. they dissolve under your tongue like magic, thee clonidine. I think I have laid out the true definition of chasing a high which will put you somewhere safe sitting down with your cigarette burning your fingers waking you up.
Perhaps for someone who has no tolerance to opioids buprenorphine can give them a nice feeling the first couple times but after that if you're looking to get loaded well there's plenty of ways on this site to learn how to do that. I just explained what we kids in Portland were doing back in 2007

Whoops i forgot to share the link after i said "this describes some success switching from methadone to buprenorphine " 🤯:

Although titrating and taking the leap off of Suboxone can be painstaking it is nowhere near the agony of methadone withdrawal.
Keep that in mind and just look at the people coming out of the methadone clinic they get fat their livers don't work as good they have the terrible night sweats it's just an awful drug although it makes you feel like Superman and you can jump over a building in a single bound don't let it fool you. Remember Hitler gave it to his troops to keep them resilient as well as the Benzadrine, or whatever form of methamphetamines he was giving them. Methadone has been around since the 40s I believe and it was brought here to the states and introduced to mainly for black communities in places like New York first disguise as heroin treatment.

Really hope someone can help me with this ASAP

Alright I’ll try make it short

I have an opioid and benzodiazepine addiction. I was on, 2-8mg Clonazepam or Xanax, 25-100mg Promethezine and 30-80mg OxyCodone. Or about 250mg DHC if I couldn’t find OxyCodone.

I started getting sick if I couldn’t find any opioids. So I started buying bottles Methadone and taking 20-30 mg Methadone when I had no Oxy or DHC.

The methadone would give me a similar feeling but a lot more mild and I’ve never enjoyed it.

Now when I get my Targin and OxyNorm each fortnight

It doesn’t work the same anymore and I can’t figure out why?

Could you the 20-30mg Methadone I’ve been using when I run out really be causing my tolerance to shoot up?

Why won’t the Targin and OxyNorm work like it used to? Even at doses of 80mg OxyCodone it’s just not the same
The entire purpose of methadone is to raise tolerance so high that street drugs don’t kick. You’ll have to withdraw

The entire purpose of methadone is to raise tolerance so high that street drugs don’t kick. You’ll have to withdraw
Alright thank you appreciate it.

So does Methadone just work by raising tolerance or does it block the euphoria from other Opioids?

Can I still get a nice feeling from a high dose of Oxy?

I’ve read Methadone is about x2 as strong as OxyCodone, so why can’t I get that euphoria or even feel anything if I take 60mg Targin? ( I always wait atleast 24 hours inbetween the both)

Plus I only ever take 25mg of Methadone a day max 30mg.

Could it have something to do with the Targin having Naloxone in it or could it be that methadone is blocking the effects of Oxy?

Also how long will I have to withdraw for just to get back to feeling good and a nice little itch from 45mg Oxy?

Could my tolerance drop if I just start taking 15mg Targin everyday for 2 weeks or something?

I just want to get back to feeling a good warm fuzzy feeling after a dose of 45mg OxyCodone I wish I never started taking methadone when I run out because now when I get my OxyNorms and Targin they’re just pretty much useless.

Last edited:
Damn so I’m guessing the poppy pods I bought and are arriving tomorrow are going to be useless then since I’m on methadone? I’m going to be switching to suboxone in like a week here they want me to taper to at least 40 mgs and then they want to slowly introduce suboxone into my system.

Damn so I’m guessing the poppy pods I bought and are arriving tomorrow are going to be useless then since I’m on methadone? I’m going to be switching to suboxone in like a week here they want me to taper to at least 40 mgs and then they want to slowly introduce suboxone into my system.
Yeah I don’t think they’ll work on their own, but if you take your methadone with your poppy pods you should feel effects from both. And Suboxone completely blocks opioid receptors so you can’t take any other opioids while on that if you didn’t know

Could anyone experienced please help me with something please

I’m stuck in a hard position, I’m a daily opioid user (Oxys, Dihydrocodeine, #4 H)

I started using methadone when I ran out and I had no idea it was meant to raise tolerance

I only ever take 25mg daily 30mg max

But I don’t like methadone I don’t like the effects it just stops withdrawals

I don’t want to stop using opioids I just want to lower my tolerance

My plan is to just drink the 10mg Methadone I poured for tomorrow and continue to do that for a week

Then I’m going to switch to 15mg Targin(OxyCodone) each day for another week

And then after that I hope my tolerance will be lowered and I’ll be able to enjoy 30-40mg Targin?

Someone let me know where to start and what to do it’s just I don’t have anyone to ask about this stuff

So it turns out the Methadone must have been building up in my body, not actually raising my tolerance. There for making the Naloxone in the Targin make the OxyCodone give me no euphoria

I’ve been completely off methadone since about the 10th and now I can really enjoy doses of about 50mg OxyCodone

It was hard because I didn’t know anyone to tell me what to do but it’s all good now

So it turns out the Methadone must have been building up in my body, not actually raising my tolerance. There for making the Naloxone in the Targin make the OxyCodone give me no euphoria

I’ve been completely off methadone since about the 10th and now I can really enjoy doses of about 50mg OxyCodone

It was hard because I didn’t know anyone to tell me what to do but it’s all good now
What is “Targin”? Methadone doesn’t contain Naloxone, I thought?

how long were you taking the methadone? I’ve been on it since April and I reallly need a game plan to get off it because I hate it.

how long were you taking the methadone? I’ve been on it since April and I reallly need a game plan to get off it because I hate it.
Like what are even the active ingredients in methadone? For example, I know subutex (NOT suboxone which has naloxone in it) is buprenephorine. What is methadone?

Targin is a brand of Oxy in Australia made by Mundi Pharma. Contains Naloxone.

Also I was taking Methadone for a good year and a half.

I do not recommend Methadone to anyone. It’s not a great high compared to Smack and Oxy and it’s so addictive because of the long half life.

Also how I quit was I tapered down to 10mg a day for a couple days, then I just stopped drinking Methadone each morning and replaced it with a low dose of Oxy each day.

It was really hard and I still get withdrawals that kick in each night. (Because of my body being used to Methadone lasting so long)

And yeah I know that’s just replacing one substance for another very similar substance.

But that Methadone was changing me as a person. I’ve seen it change friends and family first hand (Crazy weight gain, they’re comfortable doing absolutely nothing all day)

Its a very weird drug in my opinion.

Also I’d like to add that I don’t judge anyone that takes it because I know it can be a life changer for some addicts.

But that Methadone was changing me as a person. I’ve seen it change friends and family first hand (Crazy weight gain, they’re comfortable doing absolutely nothing all day)
Opioids mess up your body's hormone levels specially in the long run, this makes men put on more weight than ever expected from not eating more. I had it even from morphine, was always a lean guy but now I have this typical beer belly.. and morphine isn't as suppressive as methadone is, probably.
Besides that, yeah opiates are sedatives and make you comfortable doing nothing, this also contributes to weight gain of course.

Pregabalin isn't the worst thing to get off opioids. But the real deal imo are NMDA antagonists, dissociatives, they just erase your tolerance and withdrawal if you weren't tolerant to them in the first line.

I’ve gained 15 lbs since starting.... sugar cravings are intense for me. I’m always tired, too.

Hey girl, just read through this thread. I went through the exact same as you when I first got on methadone. I started out with oxy & ended up addicted to shooting H. I got on methadone & had so many different reservations about it just like you. I was also exhausted all the time, had horrible sugar cravings & gained like 30 lbs. But that’s only in the very beginning until your body adjusts. You’ll stop feeling so groggy, the sugar cravings will pass & the weight ended up coming off as soon as the sugar cravings passed. I was at 120mg of done for a couple of years before finally tapering off completely. I’ve been off methadone & opiate free since June & I couldn’t be more proud of myself. Methadone pretty much saved my life. I have no cravings & no desire to use. I’ve been through some really dark & heavy shit when it comes to being on heroin & I feel like if I can get clean anyone can. I really hope you’ll give methadone a try. This is your life we’re talking about. I promise it’ll all be so worth it girl. Sending good vibes & good luck to you 💜

Really hope someone can help me with this ASAP

Alright I’ll try make it short

I have an opioid and benzodiazepine addiction. I was on, 2-8mg Clonazepam or Xanax, 25-100mg Promethezine and 30-80mg OxyCodone. Or about 250mg DHC if I couldn’t find OxyCodone.

I started getting sick if I couldn’t find any opioids. So I started buying bottles Methadone and taking 20-30 mg Methadone when I had no Oxy or DHC.

The methadone would give me a similar feeling but a lot more mild and I’ve never enjoyed it.

Now when I get my Targin and OxyNorm each fortnight

It doesn’t work the same anymore and I can’t figure out why?

Could you the 20-30mg Methadone I’ve been using when I run out really be causing my tolerance to shoot up?

Why won’t the Targin and OxyNorm work like it used to? Even at doses of 80mg OxyCodone it’s just not the same
Methadone is strong stuff.Only about 12mg cover about 40mgs of oxy.Targins feels weaker somehow than regular oxys they say.Never tried only oxy,but only this targins(with a lot of naloxone inside them).If a real oxy is like this than trully can say that oral morphine is way more pleasurable.

Hey @SummerTaylour and welcome to the community! We're happy to have you here and happy to try to help you out.

First off, I'm not chastising you in any way, but you somehow managed to start the Methadone program without knowing literally anything about the drug or the program and how either is truly meant to work, or more importantly, how they actually work. I'm a little bit puzzled by this, but it's as much the fault of the clinic as it is yours that you do not know these things.

Opioids are interchangeable. With limited, subtle differences Opioids can be substituted in for one another to arrest withdrawal and likewise, they can all be used to increase a general, continuing tolerance to Opioids. Yes, this is just a fact, Methadone will indeed increase your tolerance to Opioids and again, I'm a little blown away that this was somehow lost on you all the way through thinking about doing Methadone, to enrolling, to actually interacting with clinic staff and counselors wihout somehow learning the most basic characteristics of the treatment in which you're engaged.

The most important difference between Opioids is going to be their potency. On one end of this spectrum, you're going to find subtstances like Codeine, Tramadol (Ultram), Kratom (Mitragynine) etc. and on the other end of this spectrum you will find the substances like Morphine/Heroin, Hydromorphone, Methadone and of course, Fentanyl. There are many, many other Opioids out there, but that's not really important right now.

Straight-up, Methadone is one of the heavier Opioid agonists out there, commonly available. Why did Methadone end up being THE chosen Opioid for replacement therapy for decades? It really had little to do with anything other than the relatively long duration of action possessed by Methadone. This allowed it to be administered to addicts once per day as opposed to what would likely be at least 3 spaced doses per day of Morphine/Heroin.

Your comment postualting that "the clinic wants you to be addicted to high doses to Opiods basically for immoral rreasons and/or financial gain" is one you will hear day in and day out at any Methadone Program in literally any part of the world... that I have been to. Cambodia. Iraq. I was not on Methadone per se in these places, but I kind of found myself, as addicts do, slowly weaseling out the location of the Clinic in each area just as a general bazaar for drugs and exotic animals and the like. In my opinion, this is very often true. The principles of these places, at the end of the day, is to make certain that everyone is paid and living their proper lifestyle before takine legitimate, sincere concer for some random drug addicts. Yes, it's portrayed as tne polark opposite. Drug rehabiliation as an industry in the United States (only space I can properly speak for many) is in many ways just as twisted and evil as our convict rehabilitaion schemes whic, being far from a tranquil, healing experince, often entails bein on guard every minute of every hour of every day lest you be raped until you're so loose you can't practically be raped by anyone anymore. It's at this point, that the person would take on some kind of "senior position" if you will, in that they wil complete tasks so banal, yet so horrifyingly violent

I'm pretty sure It's so you don't feel opioids anymore. Just so you don't get any pleasure from say oxys or heroin and stay away.
Nobody is expecting any smart decisions from people in the fangs of opioids, so they rather drown you in methadone, so you can't make those decisions. There are still enough people that will shoot heroin on top of their methadone, won't feel anything from the heroin(or if anything just a little tickle maybe), and still do it over and over

That's just my theory though. I only work with addicts, I'm not one myself
That was me. Greedy. I was in a Methadone clinic for about 3 months. I had always been on the lean side and without changing any exercise (junkies work out also!) or diet, I started getting a little
soft in the middle. I have a history of eating disorders, so that was just not going to work. I never went higher than 40mg, but man if they didn't have a fucking fit if I wanted to lower my dose. NO PROBLEMO raising it though had I asked. I got a lot of shit for wanting off. Its disgusting because clinics are like fucking banks to me. PROFIT$$$$$ So, yeah I was still chasing that dope high at 40mgs and I thought to myself? What the fuck am I even going to this shit clinic for???? I just wasn't ready to quit. I've been at this game coming up on 20 years. The clinic was during maybe the first couple
of years of use. I'm just now starting to get more than 2 weeks at a time, clean time, under my belt. I go back to heroin, but I really do sense that I will be one of those folks who just 'ages out' of the
scene. Kinda like juvie;)