Need Advice, recently busted and turned informant (maybe)

You're a fool if you think you know who you can trust. Not everyone is aware when everyone they know and trust gets arrested, and as soon as they get arrested they are often turned against you.

Every informant is someone's friend and family. Informants rarely act twice - they're offered a chance to make a bust to save their skin, they take it, and that's that. It's the people you trust the most that are going to lead to your arrest in the war on drugs.

I'm sorry you have friends you can't trust :(

I know guys who have been dealing drugs literally for decades and have never gotten pinched. This does not happen by accident. They aren't greedy, they don't just sell to any swingin' dick, and they're smart about it. It pobably doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid too.

I look at things from this perspective man:

Cops are like information junkies, they will lie, cheat, steal, and hurt anyone they have to in order to get more information about illegal activity going on around them. You mean nothing to them, they will use you up and when they're done with you they'll ditch you, they -may- not charge you, however if you don't get anything in writing you may end up getting fucked by the long dick of the Law, and they don't use lube buddy.

Best of luck to you man, I was in a similar situation years ago and I turned it down and did my bid, the choice is yours however.

I say this with many police contacts in the family and personal friends.

You are going to have to read the situation carefully. The cops I know make it a policy to stick to their word and have no problem with a written agreement that you do your deed, then you're free.

However, this is because I, and my family only associate with the "good cops". We know of other officers in the same department who are the exact opposite and will fuck you senseless and not uphold their end of the deal. So, you are ultimately the only one who can read the situation.

My advice is to GET IT IN WRITING. If they won't agree to that, I see bad things in your future. If you can't get it in writing, you may end up screwing somebody, and going to jail anyway.

My 2c.

Let me clarify a few things...I have no previous criminal record, they did not write me a citation on the spot and have yet to, they took the money and I signed a paper to forfeit it.

So they're keeping the money as evidence, and you'll get it back once they decide whether or not to charge you?

I want to know how this works. It sounds kind of fishy.

I talked to a lawyer and he told me to cooperate. So I will go ahead and snitch. Dont give me this moral crap about snitching, you all would turn in a second if it meant avoiding jail time.

No, you're absolutely wrong. The mods are trying very hard to prevent people from flinging moral judgments against you.. You could show us the same courtesy.

I imagine it's very, very, very, very fucking difficult for some of us to keep our opinions in check. I'm going to leave this thread now.

zackkurt82, a defense attorney doesn't give two shits what happens to you inside jail, once you already paid him and he has finished your sentencing hearing. You say goodbye to him and your money, and he walks out of the court room richer while you're put in cuffs and everyone on the inside is warned that you snitched. He doesn't have to pay you for any damages incurred within.

They don't take kindly to snitches on the inside.

So let me get this straight: the police told you you couldn't have a lawyer because it harms your ability to be an informant? In addition, you are not getting anything in writing? Finally, you spoke to a lawyer that told you to cooperate with their proposed offer?

Let me break it down for you:

1. The cops are lying to you. You have the right to representation in this matter.

2. Nothing in writing means the police are obligated to do nothing. The terms should be agreed upon between yourself, your attorney, the police and an attorney representing the state.

3. If all the above happened and a lawyer told you to go along with it then he is incompetent and should probably be disbarred for proffering such ridiculous advice.

/snip

3. If all the above happened and a lawyer told you to go along with it then he is incompetent and should probably be disbarred for proffering such ridiculous advice.

well it would make excellent grounds for a malpractice case after the fact. Not saying you should go by what this lawyer has said with out getting a second opinion, but it definitely would be grounds for legal malpractice.

The OP hasn't said what was in the papers he signed, or anything else. Presumably there is some mention as to why he is forfeiting the money seized from him, which likely includes further mention as to the disposition of the charges or any future charges.

And, incidentally, he shouldn't say what was in the papers, or anything else about them.

It doesn't matter whether the cops violated Miranda after arresting him. They have sufficient evidence without any statements he may have made after being arrested to sustain a conviction.

These are all things his attorney would have taken into account in advising him to cooperate.

Sidenote: Coolio is correct about the nature of cooperating witnesses or informants. Someone i) growing his own product in small quantities, and ii) selling in very small quantities to a very small number of friends, will reduce his risk of getting caught. But he's still exposed, and it really wouldn't take much even for an individual with so low a profile to get caught.

As for people who buy from larger distributors, and sell enough to make a decent profit... completely exposed and easily caught.

You have to understand that when you violate criminal law, you are exposing yourself--making yourself vulnerable to--prosecution and punishment by the state. It's the equivalent of leaving the door to a large part of your life unlocked at night in a neighborhood where doors are frequently tested.

Sidenote: Coolio is correct about the nature of cooperating witnesses or informants.

It certainly is correct. In our last federal trial the government's snitch was a childhood friend of the defendant (had known each other for 35 years). Once he found out his guidelines had him looking at 50 years he rolled. It happens all the time.

Apparently, misery DOES love company.

Cyc,

Based on what I understand about how this stuff works it looks like whenever the cops have "taken money" from someone, or money is seized in any sort of drug bust, etc. is considered forfeited, and in some instances the currency becomes evidence. I was told the reason for this is because they have to "operate under the assumption" that the money was obtained as a result of illegal activity. Whether or not that's actually true, I don't know. I'm well aware of corruption on the local law enforcement level in a FEW locations. While I'm aware of individuals who have received property which was seized in raids, after they were found innocent or acquitted, I've never heard of anyone getting money back. :\ I suppose it happens, but it's probably not common.

On a side note, I do know of at least one case in particular where an evidence file as thick as a Sunday newspaper contained nothing but photocopies of "marked bills" which were exchanged with an individual by a confidential informant. I mention this, because I think that they sometimes take money from people to see if they've been interacting with their informants. Not many people look at their money very carefully when they're "taking care of business."

Lastly, I'd like to take the time to thank you for putting that assumption of the OP's in check, Cyc. I'm sure there are plenty of solid motherfuckers out there who don't believe in doing the cops dirty work for them. Without becoming overly passionate here, I'm going to say this: The ripple effect of snitching is considerably larger than that of just doing your own time. I don't think people give much thought to that, but it really is something to think about.

Also, where there's a will, there's a way. Getting busted and doing some time isn't the end of the world. There's so many opportunities to get offenses removed from your record these days that you could quietly have your file sealed, and move on like nothing ever happened. This works, I know it does. I've seen it in action. I know people who have been pardoned, I know people who have petitioned to get their convictions reduced to misdemeanors and their rights "restored." It happens, but you've got to be willing to take that extra step and do the homework and make it happen for yourself - the same way you stuck your neck out and got popped. Taking the easy way out of a bad situation might be what works best for some, but really, there just are no shortcuts in life when it comes to shit like this.

[This part must be edited; remember, judgmental posts are not allowed in the Legal Discussion forum. Thanks, Johnny1]

Last edited by a moderator: