• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Need advice from heavy users regarding severe constipation asap

I’m sorry you are going through this. I had hemorrhoids when I was pregnant and it felt like I was shitting broken glass when I managed to poo. My recommendation is to drink LOTS of water. Keep a water bottle next to you and take a sip as often as you can. I also found that having a few sugar free candies ( the ones with sugar alcohol) will move things along nicely.

Hey, I would simply schedule a doctors apt and tell him of the extreme constipation (dont tell him why). Or if you want to solve this yourself HYDRATE LOTS. Eat Fruits. Basically try and counterbalance this effect. IF YOU ARE DEAD SERIOUS https://www.drugs.com/movantik.html personally i dont like to play with anything that can throw me into precipitated but it is a life threatening problem.

You're making this much worse than it has to be. If, for instance you take your pain meds every 12 hours. Your body will sense that it's time for your next dose and if you don't have to go at that point, hold off on taking the next dose until you go. I know if I did that, I wouldn't have any trouble going whatsoever. Just a thought and the price is definitely right!

Like other said just wait a little while till you in slight withdrawal and you will go to the bathroom and I have found once you empty your self out you will get higher when taking the pills

I was surprised to have this happen to me on occasion after starting MST Continus/MS Contin as opioids just make me regular as I had bad IBS, or a rather serious organic looseness of the bowels that they carry on the books as IBS because there is no other name for it. My solution was to skip 18 hours' worth of doses, which worked for a while, but then it turns out the side effects of the opioids are not only holding back IBS but some kind of heart trouble too. I'd rather go on a liquid/zero residue diet than die of a myocardial infarction -- the former of which is what I did and it helped me finally crash through a weight I haven't been able to get below and accelerate, the more weight comes off, the fewer newtons I take to my spinal nerve roots with every step and movement.

Last edited:
If the blood is a bright red it's coming from the straining and it's not something serious.
It's happened to me to find bright red blood after straining a lot. The anal passage is delicate and dry and hard stool can tear it.

You need to see a doctor asap as it's an emergency when the blood is very dark and looks like coffee granules. That means it's coagulated blood that's coming from something bleeding internally.

You need to take a stool softener regularly, drink tons of water, and use a stimulant type of laxative when you're completely blocked as opiates slow down peristalsis in the gut (the muscles don't contract to make the poo advance).

Don't let it get to the stage where you have to strain like hell and rupture blood vessels.

It's possible to die from straining. If you're holding your breath when straining especially; this can cause an increase of blood pressure in the brain, which can lead to a stroke or a ruptured aneurysm. Now, I always make sure I breathe while pushing!

Last edited:
If the blood is a bright red it's coming from the straining and it's not something serious.
It's happened to me to find bright red blood after straining a lot. The anal passage is delicate and dry and hard stool can tear it.

You need to see a doctor asap as it's an emergency when the blood is very dark and looks like coffee granules. That means it's coagulated blood that's coming from something bleeding internally.

You need to take a stool softener regularly, drink tons of water, and use a stimulant type of laxative when you're completely blocked as opiates slow down peristalsis in the gut (the muscles don't contract to make the poo advance).

Don't let it get to the stage where you have to strain like hell and rupture blood vessels.

It's possible to die from straining. If you're holding your breath when straining especially; this can cause an increase of blood pressure in the brain, which can lead to a stroke or a ruptured aneurysm. Now, I always make sure I breathe while pushing!
Oh ive got a breathe-push technique down like im giving birth but... from my butt muhaha puns are fun

Like other said just wait a little while till you in slight withdrawal and you will go to the bathroom and I have found once you empty your self out you will get higher when taking the pills
I lold reading this the other day after recently going, btw i found a combo cure from heaven, now yeye this is nast talk but its all for the greater good, a glycyerin suppository then when you go, vaseline on anus, i was able to finish getting the ' brick ' as i refer to it now out within 5 min (usually 20-30) with moderate forcing as opposed to using gods wrath to force it out, and to boot, best of freaking all that im still stunned by? NO PAIN it and it was a HUGE brick but passed on a 1-10 a 3-4 instead of the usual 8-9

Btw i lold because i always found they worked better too, perhaps because of all the trauma

I think I have mentioned before Zon, that I have very severe Colitis, and when flaring for deep in the colon it is very distinguishable as oppose to fresh blood vessels breaking etc.

Rather than go all round the houses, I can recommend things that will clear you out like you are being reborn just before my many colonoscopies ??, just let me know if need anything bud.

I think I have mentioned before Zon, that I have very severe Colitis, and when flaring for deep in the colon it is very distinguishable as oppose to fresh blood vessels breaking etc.

Rather than go all round the houses, I can recommend things that will clear you out like you are being reborn just before my many colonoscopies ??, just let me know if need anything bud.
I will sincerely take note of your fine offer good sir!

Anytime pal, where there’s a will there’s a way. And with what I have in mind there is a fucking Will ??

Used to constipate me bad. I found eating berries and alpt of fiber rich foods helped. Get plenty of water. I had to take a stoll softener after i ended up in the hospital for not pooping for 9 days. Not a pleasant experience but don't hesitate to go to emergency, you can die from not pooping

You need to use stool softeners daily. To prevent constipation take one sachet a day, if your already constipated then take 3 sachets a day till u get a bowl movement. If its chronic (IE not been in 1-2 weeks) you might have to go into temporary withdrawal to stimulate a bowl movement. But yeah I've been there a few times but I've never bled.

Last edited:
Used to constipate me bad. I found eating berries and alpt of fiber rich foods helped. Get plenty of water. I had to take a stoll softener after i ended up in the hospital for not pooping for 9 days. Not a pleasant experience but don't hesitate to go to emergency, you can die from not pooping
9 days is nothing =p ive gone 2 and a half weeks at some points but and ive never had to stop taking my meds to go thankfully, and when i go, my god does it not stop till im on empty

Back when I was prescribed dihydrocodeine and dicycloverine for the bowel problems I was also taking a calcium supplement which was essentially chalk -- now I know why calcium citrate is so popular -- the new DHC-Bentyl regimen, on top of all the chalk, worked like gangbusters as they say and two and a half days later I had what is often called a Codeine Baby 65 centimetres long which was a perfect cast of my lower digestive tract, like straight off of the anatomy chart I had over by the window. I drank poppy seed oil, olive oil, and vinegar, and took a chlorophyll tablet and had a little bit of parsley and celery to induce labour so to speak and ensure that the product was odourless. "Almost three days‽ That will probably set off the fire alarm" was my thinking. I also hear this about certain formulations of opioids like Physeptone methadone tablets, and barium sulphate is 50 times worse.

Please just follow my suggestion. Try it at least. Drink lots of water. Eat lots of fiber. Use stool softener regularly, use Miralax, use enemas. If none of this works and it's been beyond 10 days, it may be necessary to see a doc. If the above method doesn't produce results than you need to go get checked out.

I am in pain management (Oxycodone) for chronic pain and you have received great replies. From my experience which included a four day hospitalization (but luckily no surgery or lasting damage.) My hospital physician instructed as follows post-discharge for ongoing “regularity.”

-Miralax every day. I stir one capful in 8 oz of Gatorade and drink. Helps tremendously.

-Stool softener daily that isn’t a stimulant (ask your doctor if daily use is ok for you).

- Saline Enemas are recommended but I cannot use them due to inevitable bleeding from an otherwise mild hemmoroid. An oil-based enema and hydration via IV ultimately is what got me to “go” in the hospital after a few days.

- I am to take a laxative called “Ducolax” that is OTC if it has been three days with no BM. I believe it comes in generic, but I don’t know the name.

- Obviously, fluids (no alcohol it makes it worse) and movement, walking. Laying about too much is not good. Traveling can be troublesome...of course we can still travel but, again, stay aware and try to eat well, hydrate, bring OTC like Miralax, stool softener and Ducolax (this is at least what I do.)

- My doctor said eat fruits that start with the letter “P.” I recommend pears, fresh ones. Not canned.

- Keep tabs on when you are getting backed up. That was my problem...I ignored it until I had a really bad problem. Especially don’t ignore the urge “to go”... I would sometimes just ignore if there were only public restrooms or just was lazy. I no longer do this.

- You want to eat a fiber diet but introduce fiber foods gradually.

My “big guns”:

-Keep two bottles of Magnesium Citrate (I believe that is the name) on hand. It is OTC, very inexpensive and is for when you are very constipated. I decided the hospital was in order when it didn’t work for me. Make sure you are able to spend time in the restroom...do not take it and go out. It is clear liquid and a mild berry flavor. Safe and effective but darn powerful stuff.

-Look up “squatty potty” on Amazon. Buy one and use it every time. Just park it in front of your toilet.

Hope you are doing better.

Last edited:
Right, An important note regarding the above poster's sentiment. Stool Softeners are different than Laxatives of any kind. That being said, there are not stimulant stool softeners. I've always considered them the first-line, prior to actually using a laxative. But, I do agree that staying away from stimulant laxatives is a good idea. If your bowels suddenly kick on after days of disuse, it often causes gas and pain like a motherfucker. So, although it's a serious condition, treat it as gently as possible.

Docusate is a great OTC stool softener. It's typically a tough experience, but you hope that the combination at least gets your feces through the "first door" after which it will be in the rectum and can be doused with enemas to further soften it. After that, call the midwife.

Right, An important note regarding the above poster's sentiment. Stool Softeners are different than Laxatives of any kind. That being said, there are not stimulant stool softeners. I've always considered them the first-line, prior to actually using a laxative. But, I do agree that staying away from stimulant laxatives is a good idea. If your bowels suddenly kick on after days of disuse, it often causes gas and pain like a motherfucker. So, although it's a serious condition, treat it as gently as possible.

Docusate is a great OTC stool softener. It's typically a tough experience, but you hope that the combination at least gets your feces through the "first door" after which it will be in the rectum and can be doused with enemas to further soften it. After that, call the midwife.
" call the midwife " oh lord lol!