• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

Sorry, I agreed on Cinci's Brian Kelly, and then promptly forgot what conference they were in :eek:

lol it's easy to forget about the Big Easy.

I think he is a great coach though. the proof is that he can win without Heisman hopeful (but not likely) Tony Pike. he seems like a pretty good guy all around during interviews and whatnot. I am happy that he is seeing success, in a state where anything football (even pros) is second tier to Ohio State football.

Coach Kelly will most likely leave and I wish him the best as long as it is not Michigan or Notre Dame.

if Jim Harbaugh goes to Michigan I will be sad, for this same reason (hating Michigan). he is a Michigan man and looks like a tough SOB just like his brother, so I'm sure he can turn that dismal program around. thanks Coach Dick Rod. Ohio State fans love you!

I strongly disagree here. the Big Easy has one great coach, and that is Cinci's Brian Kelly.

I thought Urban Meyer put to rest rumors, lately, in the media when he announced that he will stay with Florida for "as long as they'll have [him]."

That quote is exactly why I brought the subject up. Quotes like that are usually the kiss of death.

And we'll see if Florida can match ND dollar for dollar. Florida has a boatload of money, but ND tends to have a cruise liner filled with cash, the boosters are insane when it comes to that school.

Holy hell the Auburn game just about killed me to watch. In true Alabama fashion, we played just well enough to win. Barely. Auburn came ready to play without question. Unbelievable. I just don't really have a lot to say about it.

some great games this weekend. Ole Miss blew that game against Miss State, despite having one of the most electrifiying athletes in college football today in Dexter McCluster. Jevon Snead was just throwing up gift passes to the Miss State defense. looks like Christmas came early for the other Bulldawgs and it looks like Ole Miss was severely over-ranked.

speaking of over-ranked, the Buckeyes are just climbing up the BCS standings with Pitt and Georgia Tech proving that they went through most of the season... un-proved. thankfully the Buckeyes can't realistically back into the National Championship this year, but two losses is just about where most suspected them to reside. a bowl win would be HUGE...

and it looks like the Bucks will play the winner of the Civil War - Oregon VS Oregon State, in the Rose Bowl. I think that Oregon State would be the team Ohio State could more easily beat, and I'll tell you why. that team prides themselves on running the football hard and playing good defense; and those type of teams usually fall into the trap of Ohio State's Tresselball.

I can't wait for the Alabama VS Florida SEC Championship. that is going to be some good football. any predictions for that one, my cohorts?

re GT and Clemson losing to unranked SEC teams-- As much as it Pains me to say it, GT probably has a superior squad to UGA, and possibly Clemson to USC. We definitely play up for GT, because their fans are such insufferable fucks. I'm sure USC does the same for their in-state rivalry. Were the losing teams untested? I don't think so. They aren't prepared for a stout run offense (GT) or a fast defense (clemson). Was Bama untested last year when it lost to the Utes?

otoh: LOL

15959_622208671718_4708374_36052500_8298371_n.jpg

re GT and Clemson losing to unranked SEC teams-- As much as it Pains me to say it, GT probably has a superior squad to UGA, and possibly Clemson to USC. We definitely play up for GT, because their fans are such insufferable fucks. I'm sure USC does the same for their in-state rivalry. Were the losing teams untested? I don't think so. They aren't prepared for a stout run offense (GT) or a fast defense (clemson). Was Bama untested last year when it lost to the Utes?

the only win that really impressed me, concerning Georgia Tech was against Virginia Tech. but VT also proved that they weren't that good as well. honestly, I harbor a lot of dislike for teams such as Georgia Tech and Navy. the triple option was just oh so 90s. I don't truly respect most "gimmicky" college football teams, and you can paint me old fashioned as much as you like.

you are correct in that GT perhaps had the more talented squad that UGA - but UGA won and for that I am very happy (I pull for UGA in the SEC). are you really trying to muster a defense for Georgia Tech, as you yourself are such a vehement UGA fan and I have heard all the nefarious stories about the Yellow Jacket fans?!

what is the world coming to?

re: Bama being untested last year. I forget around what time of the year Bama lost, but the SEC was a lot more talented last year than this year. so I would venture a guess to say no...

The triple option can be stopped by any defense with speed and the coaching to not overpursue. GT will always be a good team but will never be able to win a championship since they cannot move on fast, well coached defenses like Florida, Miami, Alabama and even UGA. There's a reason it is not used very often anymore.

UGA is not really a well-coached defense - THIS YEAR at least. I still love me Dawgs though. I wish that they would wreck shit for the Gators year in and year out.

GT's triple option was never really that great, save for the fact they (or Navy I forget) had one of those QBs that could run AND throw the ball. GT will always be a good gimmicky team, but they will never reach any acclaim.

I really have to argue the point that Georgia Tech has superior athletes. They run a gimmicky offense that was once popular in college football in the 60's and 70's. For the fact that many defenses don't see that type of offense very often and doesnt serve them well to practice against it on a daily basis. Disciplined defenses usually play much better against it as long as the players stay on assignment. That's what UGA did on Saturday and they won decisively. And yes, that gimmicky offense will soon be exposed for all its weaknesses and GT will again be the 6-6 team and all will be right in the world. Those pathetic basketball fans deserve just that. Half their fanbase probably contemplated suicide Saturday night. They are just so pathetic that it kills me.
Personally, I think Georgia is loaded with great talent but it's very young talent. Next year should be interesting IF Aaron Murray and that Mettenberger kid are as good as they are touted to be. King and Ealey had a coming out party against Tech and I expect a very bright future for the two of them. And that's going to take a lot of pressure off the new quarterbacks. Can't wait till next year!

Go Clemson Tigers!
Roll Tide, Roll!!!!!!!!

Last weekend that matters for awhile, and with the Civil War tonight, let's not wait around:

Thursday:
9:00 PM ET No. 16 Oregon State at No. 7 Oregon (-9.5) - At home, I'll go with the Quack Attack at about 41-28

Saturday:
12:00 PM ET No. 5 Cincinnati at No. 15 Pittsburgh (-2) - Big Easy title game!!! PIT is pissed from their loss last week, but can they overcome Cinci, even when playing at home? No. Cinci wins 28-10, if only to have Cinci rather than PIT in the Sugar Bowl or wherever.

12:00 PM ET No. 21 Houston at East Carolina (+2.5) - Just posted for twm, but I'll be honest, Houston out to win by a lot more than a field goal :)

3:30 PM ET Arizona at No. 18 USC (-7) - Only 7 pts? C'mon AZ!!! Knock USC out of the rankings, pretty please.

4:00 PM ET No. 1 Florida vs. No. 2 Alabama* (+6) - SEC title game!!! This will be ugly. Perhaps a great game, but not real exciting, IMO. I fully believe it can go either way, but I'll go with Vegas (and some homerness) and say UF 23 - AL 17

8:00 PM ET No. 3 Texas vs. No. 22 Nebraska*(+14) - Big12 title game!!! 14 pt spread sounds about right. I'll go TX 24 - 14.

8:00 PM ET No. 10 Georgia Tech vs. Clemson* (-1) - ACC title game!!! Blech :p I can't get over BOTH of them losing last week to mid-level SEC teams :\ Ill go GT 25-14

8:00 PM ET South Florida at Connecticut (+14) - I dunno....UCONN might pull the upset. I'll go out on a limb for this one and say UCONN 14 - .... can't do it. USF 24 - 10.

11:30 PM ET Wisconsin at Hawaii (+12) - I give WISC a huge + :D for scheduling a game @ HI in December....there's your bowl game, fellas ;) Was this scheduled 'in case' they didn't get to a bowl game this year? Meh....jet lag? Change of playing conditions? Hula distractions? I'll go WISC 17-10 with 2 players suspended for missing curfew.

And back for a final time for bowl season (note, I'm listing all the games, but don't really care about all of them...some of this is just fyi <3 )

Saturday, December 19
4:30 PM ET Fresno State vs. Wyoming*
NEW MEXICO BOWL
8:00 PM ET UCF vs. Rutgers*
ST. PETERSBURG BOWL

Sunday, December 20
8:30 PM ET Southern Miss vs. Middle Tennessee State*
R+L CARRIERS NEW ORLEANS BOWL

Tuesday, December 22
8:00 PM ET No. 18 Oregon State vs. No. 14 Brigham Young*
MAACO BOWL LAS VEGAS

Wednesday, December 23
8:00 PM ET No. 23 Utah vs. California*
SAN DIEGO COUNTY CREDIT UNION POINSETTIA BOWL

Thursday, December 24
8:00 PM ET Nevada vs. Southern Methodist*
SHERATON HAWAII BOWL

Saturday, December 26
8:00 PM ET Boston College vs. No. 24 USC*
EMERALD BOWL
4:30 PM ET No. 17 Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina*
MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL
1:00 PM ET Marshall vs. Ohio*
LITTLE CAESARS BOWL

Sunday, December 27
8:30 PM ET Kentucky vs. Clemson*
GAYLORD HOTELS MUSIC CITY BOWL

Monday, December 28
5:00 PM ET Texas A&M vs. Georgia*
ADVOCARE V100 INDEPENDENCE BOWL

Tuesday, December 29
8:00 PM ET No. 15 Miami (FL) vs. No. 25 Wisconsin*
CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL

Wednesday, December 30
4:30 PM ET Bowling Green vs. Idaho*
ROADY'S HUMANITARIAN BOWL
8:00 PM ET No. 20 Arizona vs. No. 22 Nebraska*
PACIFIC LIFE HOLIDAY BOWL

Thursday, December 31
12:00 PM ET Houston vs. Air Force*
BELL HELICOPTER ARMED FORCES BOWL
2:00 PM ET Oklahoma vs. No. 21 Stanford*
BRUT SUN BOWL
3:30 PM ET Navy vs. Missouri*
TEXAS BOWL
6:00 PM ET Minnesota vs. Iowa State*
INSIGHT BOWL
7:30 PM ET No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee*
Chick-fil-A BOWL

Friday, January 1
11:00 AM ET Northwestern vs. Auburn*
OUTBACK BOWL
1:00 PM ET No. 16 West Virginia vs. Florida State*
KONICA MINOLTA GATOR BOWL
1:00 PM ET No. 13 Penn State vs. No. 12 LSU*
CAPITAL ONE BOWL
4:30 PM ET No. 8 Ohio State vs. No. 7 Oregon*
ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY CITI
8:30 PM ET No. 5 Florida vs. No. 3 Cincinnati*
ALLSTATE SUGAR BOWL

Saturday, January 2
12:00 PM ET South Florida vs. Northern Illinois*
INTERNATIONAL BOWL
2:00 PM ET South Carolina vs. Connecticut*
PAPAJOHNS.com BOWL
2:00 PM ET No. 19 Oklahoma State vs. Mississippi*
AT&T COTTON BOWL
5:30 PM ET Arkansas vs. East Carolina*
AutoZone LIBERTY BOWL
9:00 PM ET Michigan State vs. Texas Tech*
VALERO ALAMO BOWL

Monday, January 4
8:00 PM ET No. 6 Boise State vs. No. 4 TCU*
TOSTITOS FIESTA BOWL

Tuesday, January 5
8:00 PM ET No. 10 Iowa vs. No. 9 Georgia Tech*
FedEx ORANGE BOWL

Wednesday, January 6
7:00 PM ET Central Michigan vs. Troy*
GMAC BOWL

Thursday, January 7
8:00 PM ET No. 2 Texas vs. No. 1 Alabama*
CITI BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

No odds available yet, so I didn't put them in, but a few games that I'll look at early on would be:

UCF > Rutgers - homefield, though...many Rutgers players come from FL.
No. 18 Oregon State vs. No. 14 Brigham Young - no call on this one, other than I expect a good game :)
Boston College vs. No. 24 USC - I don't think BC can win, especially with a home game for USC...yes, it's in San Fran, but it's in California....here's me hoping all the anti-USC fans show up and BC pulls a winnah to knock USC completely from the rankings!
Texas A&M vs. Georgia - UGA changing coaching staff, but I'll still pull for SEC in this one.
No. 15 Miami (FL) vs. No. 25 Wisconsin - game is in Orlando...and you KNOW Wisconsin will have more fans. Will they win? No, I see the 'u' winning this one.
Oklahoma vs. No. 21 Stanford - I feel bad, Stanford is going to maul them :\
No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee - fucking Kiffin.....Go Hokies!!!

That gets us to NYE....we'll hold right here for now and come back later ;)

Ahh yes, the season is upon us at last. The night of the 31st is a match up I am really looking forward to (VT vs. Tenn)...

Predictions to come when I get a break...

:!

pretty sure the "little cesars bowl" takes the prize for worst sponsor. thank god we are preserving the integrity of the college football bowl system by not having a playoff. what a fucking farce.

I realize this is all SEC information, but it's all that I found on ESPN for now - didn't see other conferences having a compilation of such data. What I find interesting is the losing records of our 'power teams':

Code:
They always remember what you did in your last game.

That said, let’s examine the bowl records of the 10 SEC teams playing in the postseason this year.

We’ll break it down into four categories -- all-time bowl record, bowl record this decade, bowl record since SEC expansion in 1992 and record in BCS bowls.

[B][U]ALABAMA[/U][/B]
All-time: 31-22-3
This decade: 3-4
Since expansion: 7-5
BCS bowls: 0-2

[B][U]ARKANSAS[/U][/B]
All-time: 11-22-3
This decade: 2-5
Since expansion: 2-7
BCS bowls: 0-0

[B][U]AUBURN[/U][/B]
All-time: 19-13-2
This decade: 5-3
Since expansion: 7-4
BCS bowls: 1-0

[B][U]FLORIDA[/U][/B]
All-time: 17-19
This decade: 4-6
Since expansion: 9-8
BCS bowls: 4-1

[B][U]GEORGIA[/U][/B]
All-time: 25-16-3
This decade: 8-2
Since expansion: 11-3
BCS bowls: 2-1

[B][U]KENTUCKY[/U][/B]
All-time: 8-5
This decade: 3-0
Since expansion: 3-3

[B][U]LSU[/U][/B]
All-time: 21-18-1
This decade: 7-2
Since expansion: 10-2
BCS bowls: 4-0

[B][U]OLE MISS[/U][/B]
All-time: 20-12
This decade: 3-1
Since expansion: 7-1

[B][U]SOUTH CAROLINA[/U][/B]
All-time: 4-10
This decade: 3-2
Since expansion: 4-2

[B][U]TENNESSEE[/U][/B]
All-time: 25-22
This decade: 3-5
Since expansion: 8-7
BCS bowls: 1-1

So, those that thump their history books with pride show me....ALA with a strong history, but trying to break even for the decade, and sucking at BCS bowls; TN trying like hell to stay even in all counts; FL very much a 'johnny come lately' trying to get to .500 (only wins are in BCS bowls?); then UGA and LSU doing very well both historically and within the last decade both in BCS and regular bowls.

The author (an idiot, but for another rant) had this rebuttal via email:
Will in Little Rock, Ark., writes: In your blog about SEC bowl records, Alabama has a 3-3 record in bowl games this decade, winning in 01, 05 and 07 and losing in 04, 06 and 08. They didn’t play in 00, 02 and 03. So it’s not a 3-4 record. Thank you.

Chris Low: To clear up any confusion, I counted any game that was played from 2000 on as part of this decade. Alabama lost 35-34 to Michigan in overtime in the 2000 Orange Bowl, which is where the extra loss comes from. I realize that game came at the tail end of the 1999 season, but it was played on Jan. 1, 2000, which is the reason it was included. The same goes for Florida’s 37-34 loss to Michigan State (and Plaxico Burress) in the 2000 Citrus Bowl or Tennessee’s 31-21 loss to Nebraska in the 2000 Fiesta Bowl.

So while I don't agree that a JAN bowl game goes to the calendar season and not the season it concludes, at least he's consistent - and showing AL, FL, and TN all lost (two to Big10+1 teams). :\

On the current bowl games, I have following thoughts:

FSU 28 - WYO 35 => Wtf? Wyoming stuffs Fresno on 1, 2, 3, and 4th and goal....holds them to ZERO points in overtime, then makes their kicker face a 40yd field goal? He misses? I would be pissed at the WYO coach for being so freaking conservative that he didn't give his kicker a fair shot, or at least the best shot possible. I'm happy for them that they won, at least for the defense's sake after stuffing FSU in the first OT....but c'mon :\

UCF 24 - RUT 45 => Didn't see that coming. :eek:

SMU 32 - MTSU 42 => Didn't watch that going :|

+++++++++++++++++++

Current odds for this week:

Tuesday, December 22
8:00 PM ET No. 18 Oregon State vs. No. 14 Brigham Young* (-2.5)
MAACO BOWL LAS VEGAS

Saturday, December 26
8:00 PM ET Boston College vs. No. 24 USC* (-9)
EMERALD BOWL
4:30 PM ET No. 17 Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina* (+3)
MEINEKE CAR CARE BOWL

Sunday, December 27
8:30 PM ET Kentucky vs. Clemson* (-7.5)
GAYLORD HOTELS MUSIC CITY BOWL

...and yes, Little Caesar's bowl is a horrible name. I keep thinking it is a Caeser salad bowl. :)