• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA football preseason Top 25

I'm looking forward to my wildcats knocking some of the wind out of the top 25 sails again this year.

* still relishing in that tremendous victory against LSU last season *

axl blaze said:
our QB is back again, and he is quite ugly, but he can throw the long ball (which he loves). I think that our defense and run game will allow us to FINALLY win the National Title this year.

If there's one thing bowl season has taught us, its that your offensive line withers under a superior defense. Make a point of watching the dawgs stick it to ASU.

The difference between our teams is that OSU has a walk of a schedule (less USC), and UGA doesn't. If you find yourself with a horse in the race at the NC, it'll be because of your weak conference-- same as always.

conference play goes down and up every couple years, and if you were a more weathered fan this would be apparent. there really is nothing that I can do about OSU playing in the Big 10. is it the best conference? absolutely not. is it one of the better, more competitive conferences?

the answer is yeah, it's in the top three. a great debate is in fact, which is the number two conference PAC-10 or Big 10. I would stand by the Big 10, the only thing the Pac-10 has that I fear is USC.

all you can do is win all your games.

OSU is going to win all their games, easily, this year. they will win the National Championship for great justice this year and start that win-streak up again.

sorry UGA. can't win all your games?

then you probably ain't going to the National Title.

you do have a great point about our offensive line play in big games. that is something that needs to be addressed. they have a helluva time getting their steps in between guys who are FAST and super strong.

have fun playing the Sun Devils, they are not even going to end up in the Top 25. they are athletic but young, you should have just stayed in state and not made your fans travel and played a team like Georgia Tech or University of Atlanta Carptentry.

Gotta win games... this is the truth. And I can assure you, I'm a thoroughly vetted NCAA football fan. I lived through the Goff years here in Georgia. I got to see it at its worst, and see the Big Ten play excellent football.

As for "can't win all your games... too bad". The NC may be the best thing in the world, but its not the only thing. I'm proud my favorite team plays in a conference with a championship game. And I'm proud that a perfect season is far from a foregone conclusion here, no matter what year it is. You certainly have plenty to be proud of, yourself. It just doesn't amount to jack-shit in my book. ;)

UGA could win all their games this season. They could have won all their games last season, too. Football is nuts like that. I honestly don't know how OSU fans, or USC fans feel when they play a conference dog like Vandy-- but I pull what little hair I have left out. So much of a game rests on momentum and psychology. I'll be thrilled just to have my Saturdays spoken for again. Fall is truly glorious.

University of Atlanta Carptentry.

Big words coming from a homer for the team that staked its NC claim on victories over Youngstown, Ohio, and Troy. ;)

OSU is overrated as usual...My grandparents are season ticket holders at the Coliseum and are conveniently out of town during the SC/Buckeye game. If Mark Sanchez is established by then I doubt it will be much of a contest. I'm hoping the Ducks can have a good season and end it injury free (crosses fingers.) I cried after the Arizona game last year; injuries suck the life out of scrambling quarter backs.

Pander Bear said:
Big words coming from a homer for the team that staked its NC claim on victories over Youngstown, Ohio, and Troy. ;)

yeah, I was being facetious and getting some knocks on my own team.

Mark Sanchez... getting established? who is Mark Sanchez, just kidding I know who he is, but he is not going to be ready to win the second game against the Buckeyes on his home turf, even. when it comes back to returning players the Buckeyes just have more, although the Trojan defense still does look threatening, I just don't think that USC is going to have it together all that soon to pull off a win.

whatever the outcome, I am almost 100 percent sure I will be in the Colliseum to watch it.

so at least I will get to work on my tan.

axl blaze said:
now with most of us having attended our university of choice's spring game... let's talk NCAA football! my Buckeyes are sitting rather pretty - hey! at least we can win first place on the internet.

OSU is number one? What kind of crack are they smoking? The Big Ten is a weak conference, and OSU is simply on top of the garbage heap. There are probably four teams in the SEC and PAC 10 that can beat them, and a couple from the ACC and maybe Big East.

And good God, Pitt at 19 and Penn State at 25? Clearly whoever makes these polls doesn't live in Pennsylvania, because Joe Paterno has lost his mind and anyone who's seen Pitt play knows they belong in Division II. BTW, I live in Pittsburgh and don't like either team or school.

Nice to see BYU at 14, but I didn't see Utah anywhere--that program has really fallen down since Meyer went to the big lights in Florida.

Of course, everyone dose realize the rankings in general are bullshit, right? Not until it has a real playoff without the Bullshit Championship Series will I really care about who the biased sports writers select as the national champion.

I think OSU will be in the NC again this year. And they are good enough to win it this year. Not get their asses turned around like some other writer said.

They have 20 starters coming back, they will be loaded.

And most people forget that even though they lost 35-21, they were only 1 play away from possibly winning the game.

There was a bullshit roughing the kicker call against OSU, if the refs would have called the penalty like the appropriate call should have been, running into the kicker, the Buckeyes would have gotten the ball back and scored, and been within only 1 touchdown.

So it goes for a team who gets "rewarded" for a great season by getting to play a team in the SAME STATE that they are from.

Some reward...

And hopefully this year all of the idiots who still claim the SEC is the best conference and say the big 10 is weak will remember that Michigan, who everyone claimed wasn't very good last year, beat Florida IN FLORIDA. And Florida supposidely has the best college football player in tim teblow.

And you guys think the Big ten is weak, what does that say about florida?
But that is all stuff from last year, all conferences, I'll even throw the sec in there, are as equal as each other when the season starts.

But as far as the Big 10, which is my favorite conference, the conference is stacked. Penn State is going to be really tough this year with their new scrambling QB, Indiana will be solid as they return KL, a.k.a Kellin Lewis.

Michigan will be a team that will improve throughout the year, as they have one of the the best coaches of any college now, DickRod.

MSU will be very good because they have an excellent coach in Dantonio, who has a Buckeye connection, and who also has one of the best RB's east of the Mississippi in Javon Ringer.

Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, MSU, UM, Penn State, OSU, and maybe even Iowa should all be bowling come the holiday season. Northwestern, which I will be seeing OSU destroy in Evanston November 8th, might even make a bowl this year. In fact, the only team I don't has a chance is Minnesota, yet they did quite well on the recruiting this year, so they should be greatly improved.

God I love the Big 10! I can't wait for some grind it out Midwest football. Go Buckeyes! Go OHIO, the BIRTHPLACE OF FOOTBALL!

smotpoker said:
And most people forget that even though they lost 35-21, they were only 1 play away from possibly winning the game.

Let me know when possibly winning a game ceases to equal losing it. There are several outcomes I'd like to change, too. 8)
smotpoker said:
There was a bullshit roughing the kicker call against OSU, if the refs would have called the penalty like the appropriate call should have been, running into the kicker, the Buckeyes would have gotten the ball back and scored, and been within only 1 touchdown.

That was roughing... and you'd have still been down. Your team lost... again. Get accustomed to it.

So it goes for a team who gets "rewarded" for a great season by getting to play a team in the SAME STATE that they are from.

Some reward...
Its a bowl game. Its not up to the team. You should be familiar with it, since horseshit Big 11 teams routinely get to go to pasedina for similarly lame reasons.

And hopefully this year all of the idiots who still claim the SEC is the best conference and say the big 10 is weak will remember that Michigan, who everyone claimed wasn't very good last year, beat Florida IN FLORIDA. And Florida supposidely has the best college football player in tim teblow.

Florida wasn't very good last year, either... Three conference losses (UGA, LSU, Auburn) and a narrow win over Tennessee. You know how you can tell it wasn't a good florida team/ They were playing in the Capitol One Bowl. Keep dreaming.

And you guys think the Big ten is weak, what does that say about florida?
But that is all stuff from last year, all conferences, I'll even throw the sec in there, are as equal as each other when the season starts.

LoL, ok. Whatever makes you feel ok with being a fan of a conference that's in decline.

Tennessee 21, Wisconsin 17
Michigan 41, Florida 35
LSU 38, Ohio State 24
That looks like a winning record for last year's bowl games.

The SEC's average in bowls last year was .777, Big ten's was .375 (a losing record). They year before: SEC - .667, Big10 - .286

All you have going for you is your irrational belief in your superiority.

you're not being very nice pander bear. my feelings have been hurt. Oh well, I love the Big 10 and they have the best teams in football, regardless of what you might think! LOVE THE BEST CONFERENCE, the BIG 10!

Decline? We'll talk after the end of this year when the Big 10 cleans house in bowl games and regular season...Just wait panda bear, you have it coming to you! I know something you don't know!

^^^

Dude im an LSU fan....and dont get me wrong....I understnad that even though OSU was in rebuilding (before this past season started) mode, and LSU was the fav that bowl game....Give yourselves credit for making it to the NC game...and again this is coming fropm a a hardcore LSU fan.....Beenie Wells ran all over us and Glenn Dorsey in the first half...

BUT....point being....no matter the excuse.....a loss is a loss...OSU has a long history of winning....anything short of a NC is a failure to OSU fans....get over yourselves...LSu fans can complain about '06 against AU, there was a non pass interference call that dint get called in the last 2 mins...blah blah blah....which would've resulted in a SEC birth and a rematch aginst Florida, which everybody knows what UF did to OSu and their pretty boy heisman winning QB.......

Im sure teams can point to the OSU '02 season where some calls should've gone their way....and MAYBE changed the out come which would've changed the outcome of the NC game that year which would've changed blah blah blah

EVERY season pans out that way......But what matters is the final....And if any OSU fan debates that OSU didnt get outplayed in the first half after the 10-0 lead is smoking crack.....

I personally disagree that OSU shouldnt be ranked in the Top 3 this year....They were in rebuilding last year and still put up a fairly decent fight against a healthy LSU and i think they will much better this year....Mark my words they will be back in the NC and will beat USC....

Regardless, yall got beat by a team that was SUPPOSED to win anyway....Stop being a bitch

And enjoy your next several 10 win seasons.....which is standard.....again get over yourselves and face the fact that even the most premier programs (ala USC) cant win it every year...

Last edited:
^^^

yea exactly.....they have a lil bit of hype and then choke at the nd of the season like they always do

Going back a week or so, but I haven't been able to get back into this thread until now.

A few interesting articles for discussion:

=What conferences are the NFL’s starters coming from? by NFL Analyst Mike Detillier, synopsis belolw by Chris Low of ESPN
NFL pipeline begins said:
Mike Detillier, a veteran NFL analyst from Raceland, La., has produced some research that validates what most in college football already knew: There's not a deeper league in the country when it comes to marquee talent than the SEC.

By Detillier's count, the SEC leads the way with 137 projected starters on NFL rosters in 2008. The ACC is second with 121, followed by the Big Ten (105) and the Big 12 (72).

Detillier, in breaking down all 32 NFL teams, concedes that injuries and other factors once preseason camp begins could skew his numbers, but his point is well taken. There's a reason NFL scouts spend so much time on SEC campuses.

According to Detillier's numbers, the SEC will have more starting quarterbacks, running backs, offensive linemen and tight ends than any other conference this season. The SEC also leads the way with more starting defensive linemen, inside linebackers and cornerbacks and is tied with the ACC for most starting safeties.

The breakdown within the SEC is also interesting. Detillier's numbers show that Tennessee has the most projected NFL starters in 2008 (20). Georgia is second with 19, and Florida and LSU each have 16. Detillier has Auburn with 13, Alabama with 12, Mississippi State with 11, South Carolina with nine, Arkansas with eight, Ole Miss with seven, Vanderbilt with five and Kentucky with one.

Also, they guy is an SEC homer filling in the SEC Blog on ESPN, so his posts are not real 'news' more of pointing to things he finds elsewhere, like the EA Sports ranking of toughest places to play
25. Williams-Bryce Stadium - South Carolina
24. Bronco Stadium - Boise State
23. Folsom Field - Colorado
22. Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium - Arkansas
21. Memorial Stadium - Clemson
20. Mountaineer Field - West Virginia
19. Jordan-Hare Stadium - Auburn
18. Bryant-Denney Stadium - Alabama
17. Doak Campbell Stadium - Florida State
16. Sanford Stadium - Georgia
15. Notre Dame Stadium - Notre Dame
14. Kyle Field - Texas A&M
13. Michigan Stadium - Michigan
12. Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium - Texas
11. Los Angeles Memorial Stadium - USC
10. Memorial Stadium - Nebraska
09. Lane Stadium - Virginia Tech
08. Camp Randall Stadium - Wisconsin
07. Autzen Stadium - Oregon
06. Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium - Oklahoma
05. Neyland Stadium - Tennessee
04. Beaver Stadium - Penn State
03. Ohio Stadium - Ohio State
02. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium - Florida
01. Tiger Stadium - LSU

That would be 8 of 25, 3 of the top 5, and the top 2 being SEC <3, plus they gave their '09 cover to McFadden (...SEC?). Though I gotta say I'm surprised as hell to see ND even on that list, especially to be ranked as high as 15.

For funzies, while googling an easy cut'n'paste of that listing, I found one dated from 2004:
1. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida
2. Neyland Stadium, Tennessee
3. Ohio Stadium, Ohio State
4. Tiger Stadium, Louisiana State
5. Autzen Stadium, Oregon
6. Husky Stadium, Washington
7. Kyle Field, Texas A&M
8. Camp Randall Stadium, Wisconsin
9. Memorial Stadium, Nebraska
10. Sanford Stadium, Georgia
11. Kinnick Stadium, Iowa
12. Michigan Stadium, Michigan
13. Lane Stadium, Virginia Tech
14. Doak Campbell Stadium, Florida State
15. Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame
16. Clemson Memorial Stadium, Clemson
17. Beaver Stadium, Penn State
18. Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Oklahoma
19. Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn
20. Carrier Dome, Syracuse
21. Bryant-Denny Stadium, Alabama
22. KSU Stadium, Kansas State
23. Mountaineer Field, West Virginia
24. Martin Stadium, Washington State
25. Miami Stadium, Miami

I think it's safe to say Miami is now solidly off the list ;)

Do people actually believe that the SEC is not the toughest conference to play in? The SEC has sent more players to the NFL than eny other conference. I'm not saying that the Big 10 is weak, it's a strong conference too, but the SEC is simply way more stacked with good teams. You can't claim that the Big 10 is better because of one game (Michigan-Florida). What about the national champs? OSU just couldn't handle LSU's depth and all-around greatness. I expect LSU to have a down year this year. South Carolina will turn a lot of heads...Jasper Brinkley is back at 100%. If he didn't get hurt last year, we wouldn't have gone 6-6. He got hurt against a healthy LSU team...throw a team like SC into a conference like the Big 10 or ACC, and they'd compete for the conference title danm near every year. We just always get beat to hell in the SEC. Hopefully this year we will stay healthy and beat the shit outta Clemson at the end of the season. Ol' Steve O Spurrier has finally put together a top-notch coaching staff. Problem is, we have to compete with powerhouses like Georgia and Florida every year, not to mention play hard-hitting teams like Arky and Miss State, and Tennessee. If our O line actually shows up this year, I expect a minimum of 8 wins (including a bowl). GO GAMECOCKS! FIGHT, WIN, KICK ASS!