• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] Potentiation by Citrus Juice

Are the effects of mushrooms stronger taken with lemon- or orange juice?

• Yes

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
Yeah I know. Well at least things have settled down to a slightly more empirical discussion.

Eat some syrian rue with your shrooms. Then you'll understand the meaning of the word 'potentiate'.

All I know is back in the day I would -always- add lemon juice to my mushroom tea and I tripped fucking balls off much smaller amounts then I eat now (unprepared) for a longer duraiton as well.

7grams is my 'choice' dose now, but I remember back then tripping balls off as little as 2grams when it was brewed up in the special tea. I choose the unprepared route now because I like a more longlasting and 'smooth' trip, putting it into tea always kicked my fuckin ass because of how fast the absorption rates are.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount it. I think that people may also have been putting the lemon juice MIXED with tea as well so both of those really boost the immediate effects. Who knows ? I'd much rather try it out rather then discard the potential opportunity offhand.

gloggawogga said:
Eat some syrian rue with your shrooms. Then you'll understand the meaning of the word 'potentiate'.

Done that! It sure does potentiate the mushroom, but it changes the feel of the mushroom trip. I took 2.5 grams P-Cubes to 2grams SR felt to me like a 4 of 5 gram trip.

I've also noticed that if you powdered up the mushroom, taking it that way, They hit you fast too.

I think that people may also have been putting the lemon juice MIXED with tea as well so both of those really boost the immediate effects. Who knows ? I'd much rather try it out rather then discard the potential opportunity offhand.

If the lemon jiuce is added after the water extraction of the mushrooms, it's not going to make a difference. It doesn't inhibit any of the enzymes that metabolize psilocybin/psilocin and in terms of salt formation, your stomach is full of ).1M hydrochloric acid, so anything even slightly basic is going to form the hydrochloride salt in the stomach. In fact, even if you ingest the psilocybin mixed with citric acid, any citrate salt formed will be displaced by the stronger hydrochloic acid to give the hydrochloride salt and free citric acid

I say we should all calm down. It cant hurt to try. Even if your trip is increased through the placebo effect, who cares, your trip was still increased. In a drug that is purely mental any rise in effect is very real no matter how that rise of effect came to be. Theres nothing you can loose by trying it. Even if it works by the placebo effect, whoohoo, you tripped harder. Now you can take lemon juice every time you trip and through the placebo effect youll be having stronger trips. Its all in the mind.

i always hav my mushies with a citrus base - there quite gd kinda sauteed in an orange glaze (i can almost keep a straight face while eating them!!)
ive heard so much about it whether its a placebo or not it cant harm u and oranges r gd

Good, well I'm glad to see that it has all been largely sorted out. Lemon juice increases the apparent strength of mushroom tea by increasing the amount of active alkaloid recovered by the extraction, just as it does to an ephedra extraction.

^That's my presumption.

Still, it would be nice to see the results of some proper experiments.

futura said:
Why would it be any different with lemon juice than with orange juice? It isn't!

If you want to up the intensity of your trip, take an maoi. It's just as legal and much more effective than placebo ;)

Because it's more acidic.

Orange juice - 3.30-4.19
Prune juice - 3.95-3.97
Plum Nectar - 3.45
Apple juice - 3.35-4.00
Kiwi juice - 3.30-3.80
Pineapple juice - 3.30-3.60
Grapefruit juice - pH 2.90-3.25
Pomegranate - pH 2.93-3.20
Vinegar - pH 2.40-3.40
Black Currant juice - pH ~2.7 - with Pectinex BE-3L Enzyme: 2.45
Cranberry juice - pH 2.30-2.52
Lemon juice - pH 2.00-2.60
Lime juice - pH 2.00-2.35

Check this, now with MAOI too:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4949877/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1

Incubaby's (250-300 trips) report:

"yes, it did work that AMAZINGLY WELL...
when i posted wow and the weird bird thing, i proceeded to melt into my computer monitor, wall paper flowers were growing, carpet was turnign into worms, im talking about fear and loathing shit, NEVER in my history of being bemushroomed have i hallucinated like that, NEVER
anyways"

And treat those who deny this with caution.

I wonder why they might be against mushroom potentiation. Maybe they are sellers?

Just wondering, sure.

More information at: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4949877/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1

infinitedot said:
I wonder why they might be against mushroom potentiation. Maybe they are sellers?

You're saying we sell mushrooms..? =D Gee, I really think that's an original thought.. Don't know what to say about it really.. "We sell mushrooms".. :D

Maybe the people here aren't so quick to believe random theories pulled together to make it look like something credible, when in fact, there's no scientific grounds for believing any of it. I really think this is all a load of crap hyped up by the people over at the shroomery. Nothing more.

^ If you'll believe that, you'll believe any shit (and apparently do!). I suppose you think the flat Earth rides on the back of a giant turtle (no wait, that's Terry Pratchet's Discworld - better point out that the Discworld novels are fiction, just in case)

Last edited:
Allot of use have been using mushrooms for years, and heard all the rumors trials and errors and the infamous urban legends too etc...

Ingesting mushrooms that are powdered on a empty Stomach, with liquid is about the fastest way it is gonna get absorbed into you system. The only other way i can think of, is to extract the psilocybin into pure form and inject it!
20mg's of pure psylocybin injected is gonna hit you all at once opposed eating an equivalent dose of powdered mushrooms or chewing them hole. I could be wrong through, I just assumed that from logic!

And as Glogg says;

"Eat some Syrian Rue with your shrooms. Then you'll understand the meaning of the word 'potentiate'."

So true!!
Cheers

Last edited:
As various people have pointed out, lemon juice will increase the amount of psilocin/psilocybin extracted from mushrooms when used as a liquid preparation (bur that works for all alkaloids).

I really wonder why some people are so desparate to believe urban drug myths?

Just checked the Shroomery & this is still going strong over there, complete with the original fallacy from infinitedot that quercetin is a potent MAOI (and as blackcurrent juice contains a fair bit of quercetin, it's obviously the mechanism potentiating mushrooms)

You couldn't make this stuff up!

Wow, all these old resurrected threads I've been going through have pages and pages of spite-filled bickering! 8(

Xorkoth said:
Wow, all these old resurrected threads I've been going through have pages and pages of spite-filled bickering! 8(
So do the new ones. Actually seems to increase lately.
Perhaps the planet has entered an irritating region of space? =D