• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] P. Tampanensis & P. Mexicana A Sclerotia (Philosophers Stones)

Hey I've consumed some truffles from Ireland (when legal) and had a great time. Although I'd like to point out that a friend I was with had a bad trip (first time), so not even these are 100% bad trip free. From my experience they felt similar enough to normal shrooms that I doubt that any other alkaloids were present.

^^ I agree with you there, about subjectively testing it. Anyway, I couldn't regurgitate where to find the literature without doing some digging, but I'm sure someone here could. Baeocystin is one of the other active alkaloids, but some others include intermediate tryptamines that are used by the plant to synthesize the fully active ones.

Xorkoth said:
True, it could. But is it that hard to believe that different ratios of multiple active compounds could alter the resulting trip? Some kinds of mushrooms even contain unique alkaloids not found in other types. It's the case with different species of cacti. Why not with different species of mushrooms?

Personally I think that ratios of alkaloids coupled with expectation, set, and setting produce the wild range of effects that mushrooms can cause. It's probably more expectation, set, and setting than anything else, but I think the alkaloids present have a lot to do with it as well.

I don't doubt the possibility, or even likelyhood of ratios of active alkaloids influencing the experience. I just think the placebo effects are probably a lot more powerful.

Sprinklervibes said:
Indeed, and I have come to wonder how strong these "marketing" ploys actually effect the trip. Personally, I think it's all potency and set and setting.

Exactly. The quote from a seller on the first page of this thread is a prime example of setting up expectations for the kind of trip you will have.

I lived in A'dam until recently, and these little babies are actually very popular among folks who want an extasy-"like" experience without going chemical. I enjoyed them though dired hawaiian cubes are more my style. Kindof a strong body load/buzz/glow with minor light distortions. Wicked when combined so as to be the "e' portion of a flip (in adam thanks to ye old smart shop any number of combos is readily avail.)

and just to big up Xorkoth, you better believe there is a mighty mighty diff between even just mexican, hawaiian, or thai Cubensis all with completely diff structures

I've had these twice, never took any other true hallicunogens (have had large dosis of MDMA). To me it is not that appealing, after the first three hours they tend to make me kind of sad, and the whole ego crushing thing really bothers me... I'm thinking about hippyflipping, is there a big possibillity that this will take away the negative effects of Psylocin?

Sprinklervibes said:
Where's the literature about those alkaloids, I'd love to read it.
I love my mushies :)

The only other thing I've seen is "baeocystin"
And perhaps psilocybin vs psilocin do differ in high... Who knows, I don't think it can be subjectively tested due to the psychedelic nature of the drug.

Well I've always thought that the ratio between psilocybin and psilocin can affect the dosage curve. If you have a lot of psilocybin the come up is going to be more elongated and less drastic according to this theory. The opposite effect for a psilocin dominated chemotype. The psilocybin needs to be broken down into psilocin and it takes a little while as a opposed to direct absorbtion. And who knows there could be peripheral action as well from psilocybin.

Peace,
PL

The first time I ever tripped was on about 3 grams of the Philosopher Stones...My buddies had gotten them in A'dam and brought some back..I fondly remember that they looked like coffee beans and we crushed them into a fine tan powder with a grinder before spoon-feeding each other...I've eaten so many different strains and potent mushrooms in my life, but nothing as colorful and social as all the "trips on the truffles"

Psilocybe Tampanensis (Philosophers Stones)

Is 15mg of fresh tapensis enough to trip hard?...
Do they like mexicans or hawaians get stronger when dried?

15mg is not enough... 15g would be a moderate dose. Equivalent to 30g of fresh cubensis.

Philosophers Stones are the sclerotia of Psilocybe Tampenensis, or sometimes a strain such as P. Mexicana. (Fixing the title)
They contain up to 70% water unlike fruiting bodies (actual Psilocybe mushrooms) that contain 90% water. You'd have to adjust your calculation based on that.
None of them really get stronger, just more concentrated because the water evaporates. You lose some of the alkaloids in the process.
Bear in mind that Philosophers Stones can get absolutely hard as a rock if you let them dry out. I've had much trouble making them of use like that one time.

Wikipedia page
Another thread on PS
and another one

Last edited:
Fresh sclerotia = 2x more potent than fresh cubensis.
Dried sclerotia = 2/3 the potency of dried cubensis.

This is due to the difference in water content.

By the way, you can make dried sclerotia "fresh" again by simply pouring water on them. Of course you won't gain back the alkaloids lost in the drying process...

Because the experience is not the same. You need to eat the fungus to give it access to your consciousness.

I always love the scientific answer much more than that spiritual mumbo jumbo

A we have to allow the mushroom spirit to take us on journey oh great mushroom spirit

B nah, you have to allow the chemical it contains to act on your receptors that scramble your perception making you "think" your having a mystical experience

B is and always will be the correct answer !

^ there is no difference between thinking to have an mystical experience and actually having one, since this is a purely subjective matter.

thanks for your answers, i probably won't get any because of the price if i need 30g fresh for a strong trip...

I always love the scientific answer much more than that spiritual mumbo jumbo

A we have to allow the mushroom spirit to take us on journey oh great mushroom spirit

B nah, you have to allow the chemical it contains to act on your receptors that scramble your perception making you "think" your having a mystical experience

naturally everything in nature is chemicals interacting with each other. and taking mushrooms is no different, it alters the way chemicals interact... which can at times cause a spiritual experience... the only reason i believe this is because it has happened to me several times. so yeah, a is lame, but imo when the shrooms move you to a place beyond thought you ARE having a mystical experience. off topic, i know

sometimes i wish bl mods would let the conversation meander a bit on here, as long as its intelligent and respectful.

I also disagree with this. There must be a difference between thinking you are having a mystical experience and actually having one...

I think you misunderstood.

If you truly believe you are having a mystical experience then in all probability you are having one. This doesn't mean that you can evoke one by simply thinking about having one.

Who made you the minister of correct answers?
There is no objective truth, only 6 billion subjective ones. Your truth may not be my truth or your friend Harry's truth.

Scientific and spiritual views do not necessarily need to be in any opposition to each other. They can coexist.

To my knowledge, so far no one has researched the absolute composition of psychedelic mushrooms. We only know of the alkaloids which we have found in them, which certainly are mostly responsible of the effects from them.

But, how then do you explain the clear differences in effect between different mushroom species, or the differences in effect between pure synthetic psilocin and psilocin containing mushrooms?

There might be lots of so far unknown substances in the mushrooms which in combination with the most active alkaloids contribute to the subjective effects of the mushrooms. No one knows for sure, yet.

There are so many things we don't understand about fungi. They could very well be sentient beings, no one has scientifically disproven this yet. We also don't fully understand how the human consciousness works. Best would be not to make too many hasty assumptions at this point.

I think you misunderstood.

If you truly believe you are having a mystical experience then in all probability you are having one. This doesn't mean that you can evoke one by simply thinking about having one.
correct. maybe substituting other states of mind for "having a mystical experience" makes it more clear, let's say being in love, for example. if you think you are in love, you are in love (there are no other authorities who could know better than yourself), but just thinking about being in love doesn't make you be in love.

If you believe you are having a mystical experience, then subjectively, you are experiencing a mystical experience. It's a totally subjective definition.

consider "thinking you are having a mystical experience" and "having a mystical experience" as logical operators.

You cannot apply logic to subjective experiences. Feelings are not logical. The human experience is not logical.