• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea

a few questions about shroom tea

first off, i apologize if these questions have already been answered somewhere else, but i used the search function and found nothing. (no offense here but the search function on this site kinda sucks. mods what type of key words and such should i use for a topic like this?)

anyway, this saturday i plan doing some shrooms at my crib with my favorite friend to trip with. so i am thinking of making shroom tea because i have never done this before and i hear its awesome. so here are my questions:

1. how exactly should i make the tea (i looked it up on erowid and it said to basically just drop the shrooms into boiling water, let them sit, strain the water, then drink. also i have a french press and my older bro said he used to make the tea. should i use this method? if so what is the process?)

2. does make the shrooms kick in faster? (shrooms never take too long to kick in for me but as i see it, the less waiting, the better.)

3. is there any loss in potency? (i have heard that tea is more potent from some and less potent from others)

4. not that shrooms have ever made me feel sick, but does it increase nausea? (again i have heard this from some and the opposite from others)

answers are much appreciated!

<3

also a question not related to the tea: would a 5 htp regimen recommended? (i can get it for free and ive said it works wonders but idk if it helps with shrooms. also what type of regimen would one recommend?)

1. It really doesnt matter, but use water that is just below boiling, cause this way you reduce the risk of destroying any of the good shit. Id also reccomend leaving the shrooms in and drinking them, cause you arent going to get everything out with an extraction (essentially what the tea is). You can also make them iced tea style, but you have to let them soak for a couple weeks to do that.

2. They will kick in slightly faster, but not much. What will happen is the overall duration will go down.

3. See #1. the reason people feel it is more potent is because there is less time between ingestion and peak, and because the overall duration is shorter, you get a higher peak (think a piece of string in an arc...same length, but you can increase the height by decreasing the length between either end)

4. actually, it is supposed to severely decrease nausea. that is the main reason people do it. to further help reduce nausea, filter the tea (yeah, i know, that goes against what i was saying earlier, but its up to you).

5. I have never heard of 5htp being used in conjunction with shrooms, so cant help you there

Last edited:
thanks for the fast and to the point response. im thinking ill probably just eat them straight because to me shroom trips always end wayyyy too soon. but yea it appears that 5 htp is only really effective in conjunction with mdma and actually may work against the shrooms. but again thanks a bunch for the info

tea is not great idea. the boiling water kills psychoactive substances

if you want the shrooms to go stronger/further, you need an MAOI; but this takes some degree of caution and a little dieting beforehand

If you want a longer experience then you can always redose. Redosing on shrooms works fine as long as you don't do it too late. So preferably redose during the peak or right after and tolerance shouldnt have kicked in yet. Redosing during the peak or just before will make the peak higher and redosing right after the peak will just lengthen the experience.
I myself get quite bad nausea from shrooms so I like to make a tea and filter out the shrooms. Sure it's a little weaker but otherwise the stomach ache really ruins the trip for me.
What I usually do is put the shrooms in a tea-strainer and first let them sit in the warm/hot water for about 5-10 min. Then I drink it and make another cup with the same shrooms. This way i get most of the active ingredients out of the shrooms and also I make the comeup a little smoother by staggering the dose. When using the shrooms for the second time you have to let them sit in the water for a longer time since most of the psilocybin was already extracted in the first tea.
Also adding lemon juice in the tea can make the come-up quicker and make the peak more intense. Some say the acid converts the psilocybin to psilocin so that way your body doesnt have to make the conversion and it will "hit" faster. But I haven't seen any proof of this so I'm not sure if it's true.

I always bring mine to a boil, not noticed any diminishing off effects. As soon it hits boil, I turn it off and let it it come down to drinking temperature, then down it in one...

I feel it within 10-15 minutes, peaking at 25-30. Hits in hard and fast for me, damn fucking fun!

Sup keke. I am the guy he will be tripping with, I was going to make my own thread but saw this.

Do you really peak after only 30 minutes with the tea? I was going to try it since I always end up throwing up when I eat them dry, but we were planning on watching a very interesting movie while we trip and I don't want to be over the peak only a half hour into the movie, plus I enjoy the come-up much more than coming down on shrooms.

yeah, the peak hits way quick, but it lasts about the same length of time....the comedown and comeups are just way quicker

I've never been really fond of tea. It's not going to potentate the shrooms; in fact, the best case scenario is that you extract 100% of the psilocybin. A more likely scenario, since it's your first time making tea is that you actually lose a bit of the psilocybin in the process. I'd say just eat them.

the site is indexed google- their search works well

search: site:bluelight.ru mushroom tea

Chew up dem bad boys and hold 'em in your mouth for as long as possible, that is if you don't mind the taste. Only sucky thing is that your mouth gets a little foamy but it hits you faster and lasts the duration of just eating them. If all else fails redose until desired effects are achieved B)

Merging with the mushrooms subthread about tea...

For your information it is best to use the advanced search function IMO, the way I could find it was by searching for "mushroom tea" (4th result from the top, it clearly has the most replies by far and is marked a subthread which is a separation of a Big & Dandy thread.
The issue is that the normal search engine searches whole posts, if you go advanced (click search, then advanced ;) ) it is standard it searches thread titles, often that makes more sense but you have to get it right. If you aren't sure if it's "mushroom" or "mushrooms" for example you can search for "mushroom*" because the * is a wildcard that can mean anything or everything.
Obviously it's cool that everyone has to find this out for his or herself at one point :) There are almost definitely threads on how to use this site the most effectively, I understand you didn't start there.

An alternative to searching for stuff is browsing, go to the Psychedelic Index by clicking the big blue link at the top of the Psychedelic Drugs forum (just the main page), then in this example you could have checked the Mushrooms Thread, in that you find the index of subthreads among which this one is found!
This way is more helpful if you are looking for new information in a slightly more general fashion instead of looking for a specific answer.

Pertaining to your questions about tea, I have hardly ever used the method but am not opposed to it. I just think that by chewing the mushrooms to pulp there is not that much (haha I typed mush) gained with tea.
You only lose a little portion of the potency but the difficulty is that since mushrooms are natural products the potency varies a lot to start with. So without real measurement you
cannot be too sure how much is lost. People can trip pretty hard with it so it cannot be a
huge amount.

Limit the loss in potency by now throwing in the mushrooms when the water is near boiling temperature. Wait a little like you ought to do with good tea. If you have a strainer use it, and make the pieces of mushroom smaller so that it can steep better. Let them soak and press out the water again so that the alkaloids are carried out with it. Some people chew up the mushroom pulp in the end to be sure they are not throwing anything away but it defeats part of the purpose I guess. Still, it's like letting raisins swell in water, the texture is then softer and more agreeable.
I'd say you should get less nausea with tea because part of the nausea can come from bad to digest fibers. After steeping the mushrooms they fall apart a little so that helps with the fiber. I mentioned before that I chew them to pulp, that helps the same way as a sort of pre-digestion of the fiber. The tea might kick in faster since it is easier to absorb compounds from a watery solution than to pull them out of a mushroom.

I just wouldn't gobble up dried mushrooms without chewing well, I guess some people do that because they hate the taste but it will not kick in that well (in theory anyway), and you can get problems later with indigestion although it depends on how weak your stomach is.

in my experience, there is negligible "loss" of alkaloids from heat-related degradation. hot acidic water is highly efficient at pulling psilocin out, and leaving the indigestible matter behind. the simple fact that tea allows you to discard fibrous tissue (that gives many people gassy indigestion) after three brewings is a great reason to do it.

that and ginger+lemon+honey is one of the holiest combinations that exists on this green earth :)

thanks for that info solipsis, looks like well be making the tea, and from what I can gather, I should add some lemon juice to the hot but not quite boiling water. also how many cups of tea would u guys recommend making from 2.5 grams (the dose both me and TheGoliath will be taking) of daily potent cubes?

My suggestion is somewhere around 1 to 2 per person. More than two cups of coffee might be diluting it, though liquids are absorbed pretty nicely. Ginger is not only a nice ingredient but also good for the stomach.

If you are a die-hard tea drinker though I suppose more is cool. Less than 1 per person can be annoying to handle practically.

went on a journey last night ... amazonian cubes are wonderful!
must say the smell of soaking mushrooms was giving me slight nausia.

has anyone tried grinding and putting dried cubes into gel caps?
how is the onset: same, slower, faster?

i remember grinding mush and doing a tea and gulping the whole thing, 3.5g of dried cubes ...
BE WARNED: you will be launched into a hyper-symbolic-mathematical space at massive speed ... not pleasant at all!

the slow onset (30 min) of chewing the sacred shrooms is perfect ...

my other question is that i've read that adding lemon turn the psylocibin into psilocin ... and without the lemon tek there is lower amounts of psilocin? anyone correct this?

can someone freakin explain to me the different between psylocibin and psilocin who has actually tried them both ... whats the difference in experience?

can one find pure psilocin pills?

Pure psilocin is out there but it's pretty rare. Someone donated a little to me one day but I am almost ashamed to say I have not tried it, the reason though is that I want to propionylate it to form another drug and try that. At least that is the plan but I can't find my reagent. Better eat my psilocin then I guess, and try the propionylation with another 4-HO tryptamine.

from Tihkal by Alexander and Ann Shulgin:

Psilocybin one of the main psychoactive compounds in magic mushrooms. The active dose of psilocybin is 3-30 mg. The effects are psychotomimetic; psilocybin is considered a psychedelic drug. Duration: 4-7 hours. Chemically speaking psilocybin is a tryptamine and an alkaloid. Psilocybin is the posphate ester of psilocin and the more chemically stable of the two compounds. Because of its greater molecular weight psilocybin is less potent than psilocin. Other chemical names for psilocybin are: 4-HO-DMT Phosphate Esther; TRYPTAMINE,4-HYDROXY-N,N-DIMETHYL,4PHOSPHORYLOXY. It is believed that after taking, psilocybin is easily converted into psilocin and that the pharmacological properties of both compounds are the same.

That was also their theory for 4-AcO-DMT and 4-HO-DMT but many people here at bluelight feel that 4-AcO-DMT has distinctly different characteristics than either 4-HO-DMT (psilocin) or 4-PO-DMT (psilocybin), assuming for a second that mushrooms contain only those. I tend to agree that 4-AcO-DMT feels quite different from mushrooms and that the evidence seems to stack up a little too high to be coincedence or placebo.
Without going deeper into that other 4-AcO and 4-HO tryptamines can be compared and differences can be found. (Though the same placebo excuse can be applied)

The AcO (acetoxy), PO (phosphoryloxy) or PrO (propionyloxy) groups signify esters of the 4-HO.

So they are believed to all be metabolized into the 4-HO counterpart in the body but at the same time there is reason to believe the effects are different - why?

A couple of reasons are possible at least:
- pharmacology / activity of the parent ester itself, it can be active on its own and/or...
- ...modulate the effects of the indolol (4-HO) by pharmacological or pharmacokinetic means.
- the pharmacokinetics of the ester condensation metabolism, meaning the speed or rate at which the ester turns into the more, differently or only active indolol... in part it can be the speed at which it is absorbed, or taken through the blood brain barrier for instance. A good example is that 4-AcO compounds tend to be more dilated and drawn out and my belief is that this is because of the kinetics. If a compound (the child compound 4-HO-x) acts the same but the quantity is released more slowly it becomes a totally different experience. You take things in way differently if you have a more relaxed feeling and a slower pace. On the other hand something like N,N-DMT can make you feel as if shot out of a cannon so that is another good quality but different.

There are reports about the differences between certain 4-AcO tryptamines and their counterpart 4-HO tryps, but personally I do not know of first-hand reports of comparison of pure psilocybin in one experience and psilocin in another experience.

In my experience with mushrooms though, consuming them in an acidic drink like orange juice - especially if the mushrooms are fresh and blended to bits - the comeup is very intense and gripping and the visuals are ludicrous.
I don't know if we can be conclusive about in vitro conversion of 4-PO-DMT to 4-HO-DMT in your drink or if it's the absorption rate that changes because of the acidity of the carrying agent or something else.