Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was weird... I searched for 2 or 3 seasons and found NOTHING.. then the next season i somehow tuned in and found them all over the place, everywhere I went, even in the tambark gardens where I work. They really do grow all over the place in Victoria. I did have trouble finding them when I lived in Canberra though, but maybe that was just me - its a dry city and also has sub zero temps overnight which is too cold? I found a bunch in the melb eastern suburbs ni a park, while I was working on Monday but frustratingly couldn't pick them as I was with work colleagues. Might go back and see if they're still there tomorrow.

Qustion though - what would you say the dates are for the Melbourne season? I've been told its Mothers day to Fathers day (so basically all of Winter) but then i've been told by experienced pickers that they stop growing in the middle of winter as it gets too cold for them?

Another question - how do you store your shrooms? Dry them? or put them in honey? I dried a big batch I had and it shrank down to NOTHING which seemed wasteful, so the next tme we stored them in honey which worked for 2 jars but the 3rd jar had too much liquid in it from the muchies and it went gooey and fermented so we had to chuck them away.

Third question - are there any other species apart from Subs growing in Melbourne? I've never seen any but people talk about 'blue meanies' which i've been told are different?

I think maybe this season i'll buy a de-hydrator machine and shred the contents down to powder and put them in capsules.

This is all funny given i don't like mushies that much haha, only small doses.

WC

Why does shrinking seem wasteful dude? Its just waterweight you are losing, there is a slight potency loss but if you dry it correctly then this should be minimal. Dried mushrooms are about one tenth of their wet weight, but they are only slightly less potent than eating the same amount of mushrooms fresh. What is really wasteful is when you don't dry a large amount and they turn to mush...

I used to just store my shit in plastic clip seal baggies, don't know that it is the best method but it always worked fine for me.

You can't put exact dates on the mushroom season, multiple factors will influence when it begins and ends from year to year.

In Melbourne you get Amanita Muscaria which contain deleriants (I think muscimole and ibotenic acid) as opposed to psilcoybin found in Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. You also get some kind of gymnopolous I think, often referred to as 'laughing gyms' iirc these contain psilocybin like P. Subaeruginosa do but in quantities small enough to not generally be considered worthwhile to hunt for/pick. Other than that I am not aware of any other active mushroom species in Victoria, unless you want to count potential subspecies of Psilocybe Subaeruginosa.

Mushrooms are an interesting spectacle of nature, particularly the Amanita Muscaria. Has anybody come across these specific mushrooms?

Muscimol is my favorite drug. I have only ever had one successful (fully transcendant) experience from Muscaria but it was fucking amazing. More intense than DMT. Having said that, Amanita Muscaria will either kill you or fuck your major organs up if you don't know how to prepare it. So, be careful people; and never attempt to consume Muscaria without a dedicated trip sitter.

what would you say the dates are for the Melbourne season? I've been told its Mothers day to Fathers day (so basically all of Winter) but then i've been told by experienced pickers that they stop growing in the middle of winter as it gets too cold for them?

There are no specific dates. Generally, the season runs from late April through to late August. Though, I've found mushrooms as early as mid-April and as late as October.

how do you store your shrooms? Dry them? or put them in honey? I dried a big batch I had and it shrank down to NOTHING which seemed wasteful, so the next tme we stored them in honey which worked for 2 jars but the 3rd jar had too much liquid in it from the muchies and it went gooey and fermented so we had to chuck them away.

If you are going to store them in honey, dry them first. Personally, I don't see the point in the honey method since you have to dry them anyway - and that does the trick. Once dried - properly, so that all moisture is gone and the mushrooms are cracker dry - store them in an airtight container with some dessicant. In Australia dessicant is available in hardware stores under the product name 'Damp Rid'. It doesn't cost very much. It's the same stuff that you find in food products, often called 'Silica Gel'. Do not put the dessicant in direct contact with the shrooms. It should not be consumed. Get an old t-shirt or something and create a pouch. I just use a stapler to seal it. Put a tablespoon of dessicant inside the pouch, seal completely with stapler (or needle and thread) and drop the pouch into the airtight container with your mushrooms. They should last around two years.

are there any other species apart from Subs growing in Melbourne? I've never seen any but people talk about 'blue meanies' which i've been told are different?

It is best not to use slang terms for mushrooms, as they - potentially - lack specificity. I have found Psilocybe Cyanescens in Victoria if that is what you mean. Though I think you're probably refering to Panaeolus Cyanescens, which I'm not familiar with; apparently they grow Australia wide - I have probably walked right past them a number of times without ever bothering to investigate.

The most common, widespread, psychedelic fungi in Victoria are Subs. Cubensis next. Then others.

^ I have never heard of Psilocybe Cubensis being found in Victoria, is that really possible and would that mean you can get shrooms almost year round down here? I don't even trip anymore just genuinely curious as I thought that you pretty much got subs down here in terms of viable psychedelics, not saying you are wrong though as it is years since I read shit on the subject.

Ah yeah - i thought that Cubensis liked queensland and dung and warmer more tropical weather? and also that they were brought here by boat and cattle imports and were never native to Aus? I tried to grow Cubensis from spore filled syringe many years ago and fucked it up. It is the easiest to grow as it is more resistant to competing spores and bacteria etc.

Are the Cyanescens the brown curly tops? I'd say these are the blue meanies my friend is talking about... i've no idea when they grow or in what medium though

The season this year seems early. Those in Melbourne will know how wet we've had the last few days. I reckon Sunday will be good for picking.

Muscimol is my favorite drug. I have only ever had one successful (fully transcendant) experience from Muscaria but it was fucking amazing. More intense than DMT. Having said that, Amanita Muscaria will either kill you or fuck your major organs up if you don't know how to prepare it.
I've been interested in Deleriants for a little bit, and if I come across any Fly Agaric during my hunting this season you can be sure I'll be picking it up.
Was this experience through eating it or smoking it? How did you prepare it?

I've only heard bad things, Fly Agarics are up there with Datura as a deliriant - so yeah you're tripping but you lose the ability to know what your seeing and experiencing are drug induced.... doesn't sound nice. And yeah from memory also physically toxic in some way. I think the best way to consume is to peel off the red skin and dry it and then smoke it??

Having said that, Amanita Muscaria will either kill you or fuck your major organs up if you don't know how to prepare it. So, be careful people; and never attempt to consume Muscaria without a dedicated trip sitter.
Maybe if you decided to eat a few dozen of the things. The difference in drying is the ibotenic acid becoming muscimol so reduces neurotoxicity as well as nausea. Even if you don't dry it you are just going to get sick, hardly organ and life destroying.

Last edited:
Panaeolus cyanescens caps 1.5 - 4cm broad. hemispheric to campanulate to convex at maturity. margin initially translucent-striate when wet, incurved only in young fruiting bodies, soon opaque and decurved, expanding in age, becoming flattened and often split or irregular at maturity. light brown at first, becoming pallid tray or nearly white overall with the centre regions remaining tawny brown, soon fading. cap cracking horizontally in age with irregular fractures and in drying. flesh readily bruising bluish. grows scattered to gregariously in dung in pastures and fields. widespread in most semitropical zones - Stamets

good luck smoking mushroom!

i have never seen cubensis further south than Newcastle, doesn't mean they don't be there though

there is evidence to suggest people were storing their fungus in honey 7,000 years ago.

happy friday!!!

Psilocybe Cyanescens are not "blue meanies", hence the importance of correct terminology. Panaeolus Cyanescens are "blue meanies" though I have never bothered to pursue them given the massive amount of psilocybes.

I have found cubensis in (country) Victoria many times.

Those who say muscaria is not worth trying, without ever bothering to try it, obviously don't have any idea what they're talking about. It can be smoked but the effect is so mild that it is not worth it. Better to prepare and eat six or seven large caps along with a couple of grams of psilocybe shrooms. Again, if incorrectly prepared muscaria is deadly.

I was under the impression that Amanita Muscaria were extremely dodgy, and only a certain sort if person (someone not so worried about living too long) would eat them.

I might be completely wrong, it's just what impression I've got. If someone else has different views or positive experiences, I'd like to know about it.

I was under the impression that Amanita Muscaria were extremely dodgy, and only a certain sort if person (someone not so worried about living too long) would eat them.

I might be completely wrong, it's just what impression I've got. If someone else has different views or positive experiences, I'd like to know about it.

you just have to know how to prepare them (i think its peel the skin off and bake them dry then eat, as the heat converts the "poison" (the shit that makes you sick) into the active ingredient) i would never touch them you've just got to read the trip reports on the net to know its basically a world of pain.

Edit: just saying this off the top of my head and could be wrong. please correct me if so.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I've been on bluelight for years but have forgot my details. I don't think this will break any forum rules, but could I please get some opinions on storage safety/viability etc on this preperation method... Any safety concerns, maybe varied dosages across the chocolate?

Basically what I was thinking of doing is going for a pick, coming straight home and preparing a highly concerntrated mushie syrup so to speak and mixing that with melted chocolate then re-solidfying chocolate before consuming. Let me know if this would all be correct methods:

1. Simmer mushrooms with plenty of water for a good hour, maybe a bit more. Not have it a full boil just a few bubbles coming up.

2. Scoop out shrooms and then filter juice with a tshirt or something into another pot.

3. Continue to heat the juice until it reduces to a tiny amount, like half a centimetre deep in the normal sized pot (for a bach of say 200 - 500 shrooms).

4. Melt a block or two of chocolate in a bowl rigged up in a double boiler fashion. Work out how many shrooms/chocolate for desire dose. Aiming for one small piece is a dose.

5. Mix shroom concerntrate with chocolate and continue to heat and mix around for a good bit on a lowwww heat just enough to keep it melted.

6. Set the chocolate in a mould or something in the freezer.

7. Eat one piece :)

This is all theoritical so let me know what you guys think. Saves having to dry them smelling, costing money for electricity if you use heat etc... and I imagine can be stored for a long time?

Muscaria is unquestionably the most beautiful and intense hallucinogen I've ever ingested but, yeah, there is the nightmare factor. Its like a six hour DMT trip. So strong that it can be terrifying at times.

I haven't started hunting yet this season (im in Sydney). Waiting for some solid rain to hit and hopefully I can find enough for me and my friends. Look at pictures of subs always gets me in the mood for hunting. Great fun, especially when you strike gold!

Just gonna vent here, so most of you will want to stop reading right about now.
I dislike this superiority some drug users think they have. From Cannabis smokers talking about cigarettes being poisonous filth to hallucinogen users looking down on stimulant/depressant users.
First I was agitated by all the hate DXM gets, most people would call it a shitty drug and say it's not worth doing, etc. Then with MXE popping up a year and a half a go or whenever, much more people started using dissociatives whilst DXM remained stigmatised and generally shit on.
There's similar bullshit with Amantia Muscaria. I mean delirium is delirium. Deliriants aren't "feel good" drugs, but talking down something without even experiencing it is just absurd. Telling people not to experience something because you didn't take anything from the experience is just as bad.
Please stop hating on drugs, it is just as bad as a misinformed law abiding citizen looking down at illicit drug users with cigarretes in their pocket and a beer in their hand.
The hate and disdain is only making things worse. Don't you want the world to be a better place? With rainbows and butterflies?
Spread love guys. Peace and tranquillity, let's spread our informed opinions with love and peaceful intentions! Let's destroy our misinforming arrogance with information, and present that information in a loving and gentle manner! Peace out brother, much love <3

Last edited:
I agree with you. The misinformation surrounding Muscaria (don't call it Fly Agaric; you are basically calling it fly spray or pesticide) is ridiculous.

You have to be a psychonaut to appreciate muscimol. It's not for people who are just looking to get high. The problem is people take it with the expectation that it will make them happy; they take it as if it is just another recreational drug. It is God.

i would never touch them you've just got to read the trip reports on the net to know its basically a world of pain.

It is not a world of pain. It is God. A lot of people are not ready for God, so they find it upsetting and unpleasant; but that is their doing not the drug. The drug is beautiful.

Edit: just saying this off the top of my head and could be wrong. please correct me

Done.

Maybe if you decided to eat a few dozen of the things. The difference in drying is the ibotenic acid becoming muscimol so reduces neurotoxicity as well as nausea. Even if you don't dry it you are just going to get sick, hardly organ and life destroying.

Upon doing some research, it seems that you are right. I always thought that Muscaria was potentially liver damaging. I was wrong.

I've only heard bad things, Fly Agarics are up there with Datura as a deliriant - so yeah you're tripping but you lose the ability to know what your seeing and experiencing are drug induced.... doesn't sound nice.

Please don't describe the effects of a drug you have never consumed. From my experience, it was far greater than nice. Majestic. Extraordinary. Life changing. Unbelievable. And I was aware that what I was seeing was part of a transcendant spiritual experience. The delerium comes in waves. You go in and out of an astral dream state. I "brought back" information from the other side.

Last edited:
there is a christmas tree farm near my house, what are the possibilities of anything growing there?

Status
Not open for further replies.