• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

I saw The Watchmen last night and I really liked it too. I kind of wished that I hadn't read the graphic novel already so it was all a surprise for me but the people I talked to who hadn't read it beforehand were kind of confused. Apparently the Director's Cut is going to be 4 hours! I will definitely be getting the dvd when it comes out, I'm looking forward to the director and cast commentary.

I thought Rorschach came across a lot more likeable in the movie than I found him in the comic, and The Comedian less so. I needed to pee so bad near the end but I didn't want to miss anything! I particularly liked the last prison scene.

I didn't think the violence was particularly gratuitous. Most movies of this nature cut out a lot of the blood and gore that would realistically be present in these type of situations, so they so they can get a lower rating or some other reason.

I mean, its about a largish group of people that fight with their bare hands and weapons, often to the death, it's natural that its quite graphic.

I watched Requiem for a Dream last night for the first time. It blew my mind! The cinematography was insane! The most brilliant movie I've ever seen.
Deeply disturbing though. I sat there for an hour afterwards speechless and confused. Even Trainspotting had a (kinda) happy ending. It was funny at least.

I just wasn't expecting such a harsh film, more of a Trainspotting meets Harold and Kumar kind of movie.

Amazing though. Why isn't this movie more of a cult hit?

I know its not an obscure indie flick but very few people I know have seen it. Although that says more about the crowd I hang out with than the flim.
I take that comment back

I watched Gran Torino last night which is a brilliant all round great film. Clint Eastwoods character is totally old school american racist that fought in the Korean war and now his suburb is full of Koreans. Only Clint Eastwood could get away with some of the racist comments made in the movie which left me gasping, YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!!

so i just watched "the combination" which is a australian movie about growing up "Lebanese" in the south west of sydney... its all fictional...

it caused quite a stir when it first came out, with some brawls breaking out at parramatta... where they actually stopped showing the film

its ok, wont be winning any awards though.

I saw Terminator Salvation tonight. It was good. I think the only reason it got bad reviews was because it wasn't Terminator 2. It's kind of like what Matrix 2 and 3 were to the Matrix series, only not disappointing. It's just a different movie.

It was pretty cool to see the different types of terminators. Especially the big one! Sam Worthington's character was quite well developed, but the story gets a little bit contrived in the climax. That Korean chick seems a bit out of place too. But don't let little things like that bother you. It's an action flick first and foremost.

That Korean chick seems a bit out of place too.

Korean chicks are never out of place. You could have a Korean chick in a watchtower overlooking a circa-1943 concentration camp in Nazi Germany and I wouldn't question it.

Never out of place.

I settled down on the couch last night with a box of Cheezles to watch Beyond Borders.

Bad idea. It was an amzing movie that really opened my eyes to the plight of people in third world countries. And besides that, it has Angelina Jolie and Clive Owens starring in it. But sitting there on my comfortable couch and heated room stuffing my face while watching people die of starvation and cureable diseases made me feel like the ungrateful shit I am.

Flopped onto the couch to watch 'Death Race' (not the Tarantino one, the prisoner one) last night, enjoying proper, 'non chain' pizza and beer while my ex partner, dosed up on atypical antipsychotics, shook and trembled like someone with Parkinsons...

Craptacularly watchable would be one way to describe it. The effects were quite poor and the plot a bit predictable, but I liked the dystopian tech noir visuals, even if the dialogue was crap.

^^ nice, i wanted to watch that movie ever seeing a joke about it on youtube. So, craptacularly watchable. :D so there.

Recent Review: Transformers 2: Revenege of the Fallen

Action: 4.5/5
Story Line: 1.000003/5
Romance: -1/5

But seeing optimus prime axing like 4 deceptacons in a forest whilst dual weilding swords is a f'n win.... some of the latter battle scenes due create some emotion with soldiers getting owned... but the last 5min's, is terrible. Minus the last 5mins and i give this film 3.5/5 just cause of it's great action. But with the last 5min, it goes to 2.5/5 but still great.

Hollywood ending, why, why, why fuck i hate hollywood endings...

I saw that last night.. I thought it made up for what the first one lacked. Transformer action.. There was plenty of it. In the end I almost thought there was too much of it. And it was just too long for a weak story line. Long movies are meant to keep you wondering what is going to happen next. Not thinking OMG what time is it, my bum is getting numb from this seat.. *yawn*

7.12/10

I hated Transformers and Terminator Salvation. Last good movie I saw would be Gran Torino, that was hilarious.

Yes Transformers 2 was way too long. Why was it so long? It's not like the story was that complex.

Even though everyone else in the world has already seen it, I watched City of God today. It's by far the best movie I've seen in a long, long time, maybe ever. For the two people who haven't heard of it, it's set in a slum in Brazil and tracks the rise and fall of a group of gangsters. It's violent and it's intense but it's brilliantly shot and edited. It's also powerful, funny and engaging.

Watch it. You won't be disappointed. Fuck Slumdog Millionaire, this is a million times better.

^ Great flick, it has a sequel as well if you're interested. City of Men different director than City of God though.

The Counterfeiters.
Wow, as educational as this was for me, I had no idea about this from history class in school or from anywhere else, it was such a great film.
http://www.thecounterfeitersfilm.com/

Also, just watched El Orfanato or The Orphanage by Guillermo Del Toro.
I'd seen this before but love the camera work in this and the story alone has me glued to the screen throughout.

I've got City of God but haven't watched it yet

I started to watch The Day the World Ended or whatever it's called yesterday but it was seeming a little familiar and I realised I must have watched it whilst pissed and forgotten about it. Haha I've done that with so many movies, damn alcoholism!

So I watched Wanted instead. Storyline was pretty stupid but I don't mind a brain dead hollywood action film every now and then if it's violent and stylish and it was definitely both. Wouldn't watch it again but it was fun.

Last edited by a moderator: