• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mourning father tells how son descended into mental illness after cannabis use

So he took a shit load of ecstacy and bath salts bit marijuana killed him? That makes sense how?

So he took a shit load of ecstacy and bath salts bit marijuana killed him? That makes sense how?

and cocaine, ketamine and some lsd....

"He also told me of having a very serious cocaine binge at home in Letchworth

"He suddenly experienced the anxiety and paranoia of being 'psychedelically attacked' by specific people.

But of course the cannabis is the drug at fault, who the hell knows why though. He probably drank alcohol like alot of people do as well.

Laika & Ho-Chi-Minh please try and keep to the topic at hand, if you have some issues to resolve please don't play it out in public, use your PM's?

Thanks.

Last edited:
C'mon man. Really? I said what I had to say and was done. The topic went back on track right after. Why didn't you PM me to resolve the issue you're having with our posts? You'd rather try to call me out publicly? I appreciate your concern but you're doing what you're telling us not to do.

Please refrain from making double posts. There is an edit button.

Thanks.

And I'm just playing around with you, don't take offense. This post is purely in jest. I'm a fan of your contributions to the forum.

"With hindsight I am pretty sure that James's mental illness had started in late 2005 possibly as a result of his cocaine use," he said.

I'm not sure abut this, I guess it is something that we'll never know, but isn't it also possible that James had underlying mental issues/illness that hadn't really surfaced yet that could have been bought to the surface by any number of the drugs he took? Or even that it just started to show around this time more and more and wasn't even related to his drug use and had been with him from a much younger age?

I believe a user himself stated such. Such attacks I believe I have experienced; its a nebulous paranoia that makes you want to be isolated; it can't be well-explained, but there is a certain grandiosity about it (i.e. people are watching you and/or conversing about you).

I will agree with you there. My brother says that's exactly how he feels when he smokes now. He just wants to curl up in a ball in the corner until he sobers up. But keep in mind my brother also abused numerous other drugs. Mostly ecstasy and IV meth. So marijuana might have contributed to this but I do not believe it is the sole cause.

Sometimes I feel like marijuana paranoia in public could some times stem from the social stigma of pot being looked down upon by a large portion of society. Just an idea really, I have no scientific backing for it. But it doesn't seem too far fetched. Also smoking too much or just having a low tolerance in general I have found to bring out some anxiety easier. Especially if I've gone some time without smoking. Once I smoke again it usually takes a few sessions of being sketched out before I level back off into my usual comfortably stoned high.

Sometimes I feel like marijuana paranoia in public could some times stem from the social stigma of pot being looked down upon by a large portion of society. Just an idea really, I have no scientific backing for it. But it doesn't seem too far fetched. Also smoking too much or just having a low tolerance in general I have found to bring out some anxiety easier. Especially if I've gone some time without smoking. Once I smoke again it usually takes a few sessions of being sketched out before I level back off into my usual comfortably stoned high.
I agree.exactly how I feel. If I go a week without smoking I'll keep uncomfortably high at first. I almost don't like it to be honest. But like you said it goes away after a few sessions.

Yeah I don't enjoy it either. But through years of experience I know that soon the anxiety will subside.
After coming back to it after a break I usually try to smoke as less as possible and not just jump into my regular bowl packs & so on.

I used to smoke cannabis resin with loads of my friends daily throughout the 1990's without anyone of us having any problems with it.
Around mid 90's I think it was, Skunk weed started to appear on the scene. We loved the extra strength of it and all switched over from resin to the Skunk.
One of my friends after several months of smoking Skunk started experiencing feelings of paranoia and having other mental issues which resulted in him being put into hospital for 6 months.
When he came out he was ok but there was something a bit different about him that I can't describe. He would never smoke any drugs again for fear of losing his mental health again.
I ended up giving up smoking and didn't have a spliff for about 10years.
The first spliff I had was weed of one variety but I can't recall the name of it.
It left me with a panic attack feeling slightly paranoid,which wasn't the feeling I was after.
I do think a lot of these strains available today can indeed be damaging due to their strength.
I used to strongly believe that it was a harmless drug but I think these new strains can cause harm especially to teenagers whose brains are still growing.

^ There is a chance you simply smoked too much and that's why you had panic attack symptoms. Not smoking for 10 years and then chiefing on a spliff a bunch of times with the high potency weed that's around these days could totally result in that.

I had a friend who bugged out from weed really bad when we were younger. He went totally psychotic and had to go to the hospital. We were maybe 15 or 16 at the time. They put him on meds and now he's a terrible alcoholic but won't touch any "drugs."

^I only smoked the one spliff and it wasn't pure weed as it had tobacco in it also.
Yet I had smoked resin daily for years with no problems whatsoever.A lot of the weed about is so much stronger than it was 10 years ago and I don't think its very good for teenager minds especially. Adults brains are fully formed and are probably gonna have less if any problems.
I still think as far as drugs go it is probably the least harmful out there.
I never got arrested after a smoke but I got arrested a few times after drinking heavily.

^ I think what he is trying to get at is it takes very little to get high with weed these days. If you barely have a tolerance one hit could be enough, 2 could be a bad idea, 3 could cause the symptoms you described.

Example: I smoke almost daily, but if I go even 2 days without smoking I have to be careful of how much I smoke. Just the other day my gf and I shared 2 one hitter bowls(those tiny cigarette looking ones) and I got uncomfortably high along with anxiety. But only for a half hour.

And by resin do you mean like hash?

Yes mate I mean hash when I say resin. That is what we all smoked before weed became widely available.

I'm prone to extreme panic attacks after smoking weed where I wind up withdrawing to my room and shaking violently for a period of 30 minutes to an hour. During this period, I'm prone to genuine paranoia usually related to the illicit status of marijuana. After the excessively long panic attack subsides, I still feel anxious for a couple hours after that. Luckily I found a simple solution to stop this problem from occurring by not smoking weed. I'm fine with other people smoking weed and trust them to determine whether smoking weed is a good or bad thing for them. I've seen dozens of people in my life turn down weed bc they say it makes them paranoid; that's the type of reasoning skill that would protect society if weed was ever legalized. This kid took so many drugs that it's anyone's guess as to what actually caused his problems. In the article he found that he was less resistant to the "psychic attacks" when he was under the influence of drugs. He made the wrong choice to continue using something that was harming him. We're trusted to make countless other decisions in life that can have real and devastating consequences but for some reason anything bad occurring from drugs is always the drug's fault. As far as I can tell, the whole purpose of this article was to demonize weed.

What are you on about man? Was that directed towards me?(evidently it was) You're insulting my intelligence, and for what? I wasn't trying to form any kind of argument with you in this thread. And I'm glad to see you hold grudges over things I basically forgot about lol. You really dislike me huh?
I was responding to something funny someone said about bugging out. You had absolutely nothing to do with my response. Unless that statement I found funny was based off of something you said in another thread, so excuse me for not following each one of your posts to make sure I don't unknowingly offend you somewhere else on the board.

I didn't know this threads purpose was to host an argument. So forgive me, holy one. I didn't know you were so sensitive/paranoid.

And lol@ you acting like a saint who was preventing someone from committing suicide. If YOU were actually intelligent enough to retain any amount of memory you would have realized I was telling him to kill himself because of his pompous attitude and tricking people into taking the wrong cut chemicals. I wasn't picking on a depressed person. But I can forgive you. I know your type. I too enjoy playing devils advocate. Just not to the annoying lengths that you like to take it. "Constantly" pestering you? Really? When do we ever interact on the forum? My comments had absolutely zero to do with you up until this point. You really think I'm following you around the forum to pester you? I barely even post in the lounge so I don't know what you're talking about. But thanks for your input. I'm sure me being stripped of my position will be taken into serious consideration because a person like you says so. Lol.

I didn't read your whole post because judging from the first few sentences it's bullshit. I don't forgive you.

We got a tough guy! Who doesn't even know how to understand the way conversations work.
And yeah, I'm sure you didn't read the whole thing, lol, riiight.

Could we stop all the arguing here, please?
I think that Ho-Chi-Minh and Laika are actually pretty much in agreement about the paranoia and other danger associated with cannabis use, based on their posts here, so it is not clear to me what you are arguing about.
We are all on the same team here, trying to work toward less danger and less harm associated with drug use, more information, less bias, etc.
So, let's remember this important fact, and stop the in-group fighting, and get on with the larger jobs of harm reduction, drug discussion, and dissemination of scientifically valid and personally relevant information here.
Please?

I'm prone to extreme panic attacks after smoking weed where I wind up withdrawing to my room and shaking violently for a period of 30 minutes to an hour.

I hate it when that happens. Last time I went one toke over the line I just laid down and concentrated on my breathing, forcing the transitions between inhales and exhales to become smooth, like a sine wave. Helped a ton.

Luckily I found a simple solution to stop this problem from occurring by not smoking weed.

That is the best solution :) Mine is to simply take much smaller hits over a period of time. I can actually enjoy cannabis this way, as the high comes on slow and smooth, and is thus much easier to handle. But even so, I try to never smoke at all when feeling bad.

And that article is crap. Sure, cannabis can have a negative impact on the mentally-unsound, but it would be less so if we could choose and grow whatever strains we wanted. I personally would love to sample one of those 1:1 CBD/THC strains I've been hearing so much about. Heck, I'd like to try pure CBD and see how it affects my anxiety :)

I guess they were trying to pitch the whole gateway theory again, but they'd be better off targeting sugar!

^Yeah deep breathing can definitely help get you through. I've been curious about the higher CBD strains too but i would probably do better with a 2:1 CBD:THC even. I would love to try pure CBD. It seems like it would have perfect effects for me: anxiolytic, sedative, and potential anti-cancer benefits. If Wikipedia is to be believed, it's not even regulated in the US. I've had good experiences with weed that other people consider terrible and I can also get away with loading a tiny speck of that damnable good weed everyone prefers into my pipe. Overall though, the anxiety is just too consistent for me to risk it anymore. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy a THC free strain that's better suited for my taste.